General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/07, 10:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Well guys have have a huge dilema in which I have $250 burning a hole in my pocket. The problem is I can't decide on what to get.
You can always just give me the $250 and your dilema will be solved!

Stripes-After reading posts in the other thread I'm not to sure about these.
This is not a bad investment, cheap, easy (somewhat) to install, non-permanent, and will change the look of the car.

Decklid mat from granddesignmat- Still waiting untill they can offer the pony logo again.
If you really want the pony logo, I'd contact them offline in person. They'll maybe able to do a 'one off' for you. They just can't advertise it otherwise the Ford lawyers will be banging at their doorstep.
** This is how I got my 3rd brakelight 'GT' logo.

GMS Swaybar delete-$80=11lbs is it worth it???
GMS??? No comment.

LCA's/LCA relocation brackets-Do I really need them?
I'd say, 'No.' Unless you're having hopping or some wierd traction issues.

Adj Panhard- Can't just in my head $140 to center rear that's only have by 1/4 (Don't qoute me on that I don't remember the exact offset).
'No' again. I'd only consider this if I'll be running some wide meats out back.

SHR louvers- Still waiting on pics.
Me too.

MGW Seat lever buckles- Who the heck's going to see them??
No one. But, I'd like to get these along with the coat hangers one of these days.

SHR cupholder bezel- Not sure I'll like it.
If you're not sure, then cross this off your list. Tom and I like ours, but I can see that it isn't for everyone.

MWAG battery cover-not out yet.
Not sure when a 'public' release will happen.

***ooops forgot this one***
New P.I.E. Ipod adapter- Not out yet.[/quote]
Old 2/15/07, 02:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about underdrive pullies ??
Old 2/15/07, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by habu
This interests me. I had a bad experience when I had UD pullies on my 85, it was draining my battery when playing my (high wattage) stereo system at idle. If I could be assured it won't happen with these types of UD pullies on our engines, I may consider the Steeda ones.
Old 2/15/07, 03:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

from what I've read there isn't that problem on this car. I don't know about assurances but I've seen nothing that indicates that it's a problem like it was previously.

My buddy owned a '91 with pullies and he had the same problem so I've been hesitant too. But I think I've made the decision that after my CAI the UDPs will be next
Old 2/15/07, 03:56 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leo - get stripes. And get the swaybar brace if it bothers you that there is a huge, unused crossmember hanging in the front of your car. 11lbs is 11lbs.

UDP's - I'll wait to get these after I get some feedback from everybody else here instead of being the pioneer (in Ponies on the Run). To install them on my '03, I had to take the fan off the radiator to fit the air tool in there to break the crank pulley bolt loose. That was an automatic, so maybe that isn't necessary on a stick? I didn't have any cooling or charging issues with that car, but I do on the '89 at idle. Do they require an adjustment to our tune?
Old 2/15/07, 04:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
UDP's - I'll wait to get these after I get some feedback from everybody else here instead of being the pioneer (in Ponies on the Run). To install them on my '03, I had to take the fan off the radiator to fit the air tool in there to break the crank pulley bolt loose. That was an automatic, so maybe that isn't necessary on a stick? I didn't have any cooling or charging issues with that car, but I do on the '89 at idle. Do they require an adjustment to our tune?
I got a dvd in one of the mustang mags and they did show taking the shroud out and putting an impact wrench on the crank bolt, there is even a write up on stangnet. Still it doesn't look too hard. If I can get the cash-ola to get these and my CAI at the same time I will. With luck I'll be the guinea pig

How bad can it be? If I start having problems the old set will go back on.
Old 2/15/07, 04:10 PM
GTR Member

I got a dvd in one of the mustang mags and they did show taking the shroud out and putting an impact wrench on the crank bolt, there is even a write up on stangnet. Still it doesn't look too hard. If I can get the cash-ola to get these and my CAI at the same time I will. With luck I'll be the guinea pig

How bad can it be? If I start having problems the old set will go back on.
You'll have to let us know how hard it is to get the fan off and back on. Is it the same as the old cars -- since the crank pulley is smaller and the alternator & water pump pullies are larger you can use the same belt?
Old 2/15/07, 04:52 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
+1 Let's see some pics Tom!
I just ordered the 194R bulbs online since I can't find them anywhere around here. I'll take pictures when I get them (from CA). I got the 194 red bulbs because they are 5W instead of 164 red bulbs which are 25W. They are side markers, not side headlights, so I just want to keep it legal - which says they have to light up red.
Old 2/15/07, 04:58 PM

Do they (U/D pullies) require an adjustment to our tune?
Dunno.. good question. Anyone want to volunteer and e-mail Doug?

... If I can get the cash-ola to get these and my CAI at the same time I will. With luck I'll be the guinea pig
Brian... Brian... Brian!!! You're just a Credit Card away from being the guinea pig!

... since the crank pulley is smaller and the alternator & water pump pullies are larger you can use the same belt?
Steeda kit consists of only 2 pullies. I've read that you re-use the same belt (with this kit).
Old 2/15/07, 05:00 PM

I just ordered the 194R bulbs online...
End up getting the Japanese 'No Fade' bulbs?
Old 2/15/07, 05:09 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Steeda kit consists of only 2 pullies. I've read that you re-use the same belt (with this kit).
Which two pullies? It has to be the crank pulley and something else. I guess everything slows down with a smaller crank pulley and the one pulley that is bigger slows down even more. I'm guessing it's the WP pulley.

End up getting the Japanese 'No Fade' bulbs?
Hell no... they were over twice as much. By the time I need replacements, hopefully I'll find them locally.
Old 2/15/07, 05:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Which two pullies? It has to be the crank pulley and something else. I guess everything slows down with a smaller crank pulley and the one pulley that is bigger slows down even more. I'm guessing it's the WP pulley.
Crank and Water Pump pullies. The WP pully is much bigger than the stock one and requires you to replace a WP bolt, or in the roush version grind down the stub .

Yes I know I'm a CC away from doing this...More like I'm tax refund away. I go see my guy next week and if I'm cool there will be a couple additions to my Stang. No matter what happens the CAI is the first priority (wonder why that is ??? Bill ?)

I'll pose the question to Doug later today and when I get an answer I'll post it.
Old 2/15/07, 07:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've read to many varying opinions and results on these. I don't get that warm and fuzzy so I won't be ordering untill I hear positive feedback from someone on this thread.
Old 2/15/07, 08:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I've read to many varying opinions and results on these. I don't get that warm and fuzzy so I won't be ordering untill I hear positive feedback from someone on this thread.
Man I AM going to have to be the guinea pig here huh ?
Old 2/15/07, 09:19 PM
GT Member

ROUSH PULLEY INSTALL instructions with pics !!

I'm waiting till I get my car back on the road. Won't take it out in the winter. If ya been watching the news . I happen to live where we got over 3 feet of snow a day ago. I have pulleys sitting in my trunk . I have this (ROUSH)Pulley. Not intalled yet but here are the install with pics .

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...ll-070211.html
Old 2/16/07, 01:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well guys have have a huge dilema in which I have $250 burning a hole in my pocket. The problem is I can't decide on what to get.
Sure.

Stripes-After reading posts in the other thread I'm not to sure about these.
This is not a bad investment, cheap, easy (somewhat) to install, non-permanent, and will change the look of the car.
I'm about 90% sure that I'm not going with stripes. The main reason is because I'm so indecisive I'll be constantly wanting to change them.

Decklid mat from granddesignmat- Still waiting untill they can offer the pony logo again.
If you really want the pony logo, I'd contact them offline in person. They'll maybe able to do a 'one off' for you. They just can't advertise it otherwise the Ford lawyers will be banging at their doorstep.
** This is how I got my 3rd brakelight 'GT' logo.
They're finally got permission from Ford and will start selling them by next week. The only downside is they went up about $10 since Ford wants their cut. Eitherway I'll probably be ordering one next week.

GMS Swaybar delete-$80=11lbs is it worth it???
GMS??? No comment.
Hey it's a friggin bar and I'd be saving $80 over BMR's.

LCA's/LCA relocation brackets-Do I really need them?
I'd say, 'No.' Unless you're having hopping or some wierd traction issues.
True. I don't think wheel hop is much of a problem in the auto.

Adj Panhard- Can't just in my head $140 to center rear that's only have by 1/4 (Don't qoute me on that I don't remember the exact offset).
'No' again. I'd only consider this if I'll be running some wide meats out back.
True again. Maybe once I change to 255's.

SHR louvers- Still waiting on pics.
Me too.
Ah ha Bill's considering louvers.

No one. But, I'd like to get these along with the coat hangers one of these days.
This is probably a mod I'll do when I have nothing better to spend money on or something I'll include in a future order.

SHR cupholder bezel- Not sure I'll like it.
If you're not sure, then cross this off your list. Tom and I like ours, but I can see that it isn't for everyone.
Marcello's offered to let me return it w/o worry of a restocking fee. He said I'd only be liable for shipping costs which is only fair. I'll wait and see if I like the louvers and order them together.

New P.I.E. Ipod adapter- Not out yet.
Looking to get this A.S.A.P.
Old 2/16/07, 07:28 AM
Cobra Member

I’ve been trying to make my mind up about what tunes and CAI I will get. I’ve been wavering between getting the Steeda intake and CAI from Brenspeed, or a WMS and, to keep the costs down or at least spread them out, getting some kind of monitor that does the same thing as the Livewire. There are a couple of different ones to choose from.
I really liked the Steeda setup from a looks point of view but I can't justify the cost based on that alone and while Brenspeed is a very good tuner, Doug is in my backyard and now that he has a dyno I will want to pay him a visit sooner or later.
The WMS is the best looking unit out there and is very good performance wise but the cost and the moving of the water tank are killers. I have no idea how Mod friendly the local dealer is.
Getting a unit similar to the Livewire for engine monitoring is about the same cost as an SCTII and the unit vs. the cost of the Livewire and allows me to spread the cost out over time thru different purchases. However, I lose the convenience of loading new tunes directly from the Livewire. But, I won’t be happy with anything but the newest/latest and the Livewire is a cool gadget on top of that.
So my decision is to go with the Livewire, JLT intake and Bama Tunes.
While the JLT looks a little ricer to me its performance speaks for itself. Now I just gotta figure out how to pay for it.
Old 2/16/07, 08:44 AM

Sure.
Thanks Leo!

(Decklid mat) They're finally got permission from Ford and will start selling them by next week. The only downside is they went up about $10 since Ford wants their cut. Eitherway I'll probably be ordering one next week.
I'd like to see this as well.

GMS??? No comment.
Hey it's a friggin bar and I'd be saving $80 over BMR's.
Here's my beef with them.. Remember Tom's GMS front strut brace (false advertising)? GMS pushing products in our thread? Ripping off C&L's CAI design?
I'm sorry, $80 savings or not, I won't be a sellout to the honest companies.

Ah ha Bill's considering louvers.
Umm.. not quite on the fence like you about them, just would like to see how the regular Joe can install them.
What worries me is how the paint will match the rest of the car body. Paint itself may be a perfect match, but when applied to different textures (metal, rubber, plastic, etc), it can take on a different shade.

This is probably a mod I'll do when I have nothing better to spend money on or something I'll include in a future order.
+1

Marcello's offered to let me return it w/o worry of a restocking fee. He said I'd only be liable for shipping costs which is only fair. I'll wait and see if I like the louvers and order them together.
I haven't seen their version of the cupholder bezel.

New P.I.E. Ipod adapter- Not out yet.
Looking to get this A.S.A.P.
I have no iPod (at least any longer), so I don't need this mod.

Originally Posted by pville piper
So my decision is to go with the Livewire, JLT intake and Bama Tunes.
While the JLT looks a little ricer to me its performance speaks for itself. Now I just gotta figure out how to pay for it.
Sounds like a winning combination!

You can always sell one of your kidney's!
Old 2/16/07, 08:55 AM

U/D Pullies

Well, I'm losing my drive in getting the U/D pullies. It's not the installation, doesn't look difficult at all assuming you have the right tools on hand.

My issue/concern is the engineered intent of underdriving pullies. These types of pullies were originally designed for engines that see frequent high RPM usage. It lessened the 'strain' on accessories driven by the belt (alternator, water pump, A/C, etc).

If my car frequents the autocross track, I can see its benefit. However, for a street car that lives most of it's life at idle to 3k RPM's, underdriving the waterpump may not be such a good idea.

For now, I'm crossing this mod off my list. I'm sure my temp gauge will thank me.
Old 2/16/07, 09:41 AM
GT Member

That's exactly why.....

Well, I'm losing my drive in getting the U/D pullies. It's not the installation, doesn't look difficult at all assuming you have the right tools on hand.

My issue/concern is the engineered intent of underdriving pullies. These types of pullies were originally designed for engines that see frequent high RPM usage. It lessened the 'strain' on accessories driven by the belt (alternator, water pump, A/C, etc).

If my car frequents the autocross track, I can see its benefit. However, for a street car that lives most of it's life at idle to 3k RPM's, underdriving the waterpump may not be such a good idea.

For now, I'm crossing this mod off my list. I'm sure my temp gauge will thank me.
That's exactly why I don't have it installed. A bit scared to tell ya the truth. I 'm considering putting the pulley on e-bay and get my car tinted with the $$$. haven't decided yet. Gotta do more research. Maybe a thread.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)