General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/07, 05:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KdF
I was thinking the same thing about the bat thingie. Cheesey.

I`d definatly get one without that.
If I was going to change my front grill I'd probably go with the SSE center fog setup or get the entire shelby front end.
Old 2/10/07, 05:50 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by KdF
OK, so before I throw any ducketts , whats the real opinion of this , cuz I have been loking for something like this for quite a while............
http://www.agentfortyseven.com/restyling/gt_grill.html
I don't really like it, either... but, I love the look of the stock grille... and the "enormous" logo.

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Tom-How long did it take you to install the BMR rad support delete??
I'm still waiting on pics.
I make every project last all day because I do so many things at the same time. But, if you subtract taking pictures, painting the crank pulley, lunch, etc... about an hour including jacking up the nose, supporting the radiator, taking off the old support, installing the new support, and dropping the nose back down. It's very, very easy.

Here are some pics for now:

Attachment 19191 Attachment 19192
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-copy-p1010235.jpg   Ponies on The Run (Again)-p1010235.jpg  
Old 2/10/07, 05:53 PM
GTR Member

I saw the add for the Nitto Redline tires that you are now looking at, Leo, in my last Mustang mag... wonder how they would look on my car?

Cool pics of the cruise, by the way.
Old 2/10/07, 06:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I saw the add for the Nitto Redline tires that you are now looking at, Leo, in my last Mustang mag... wonder how they would look on my car?

Stalker. Not a mod for you since you don't have any red on the exterior of your car. Maybe if you would have done something like this guy.

Cool pics of the cruise, by the way.[/quote]

Thanks.
Old 2/10/07, 06:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper

I make every project last all day because I do so many things at the same time. But, if you subtract taking pictures, painting the crank pulley, lunch, etc... about an hour including jacking up the nose, supporting the radiator, taking off the old support, installing the new support, and dropping the nose back down. It's very, very easy.

Here are some pics for now:

Attachment 19191 Attachment 19192
Tom, very nice job. What a difference the amount of junk that brace replaces. Sorry, you may have mentioned it earlier, how much?
Old 2/10/07, 07:50 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Ray Man
Tom, very nice job. What a difference the amount of junk that brace replaces. Sorry, you may have mentioned it earlier, how much?
Thanks! I'll put a write-up in the GT Performance section tomorrow.

I will say that it is basically a "feel good" mod. Like when I changed the strut-to-spindle bolts from 14mm to 9/16" to take up all the slop. It made me feel better that I did that, but probably served no real purpose. Same with this. Since I removed the swaybar, it seemed stupid to have this huge, heavy brace up front doing nothing more than supporting a radiator half it's weight. Swapping to this brace just made me feel better. Any performance gains? Theoretically... yes (lighter front end, improved weight transfer and traction, improved 60ft times). In all practicality for me... no.

They were $149.95, but then jumped up to $169.95. However, I just found today (why do I keep looking?) that Granatelli has a similar brace for $139.95:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...7ca5e0d079ca23

Just to make sure you know - you have to remove the swaybar, too. Lately, I've been referring to it as a "radiator brace", which is all it is right now. The stock piece also holds the swaybar and takes all the forces acting on it from the swaybar (that's why it's so big and bulky - and heavy).
Old 2/10/07, 10:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
While I'm under the car I'm also going to paint the crank pulley with the same paint I painted the rotors with...
Pully looks great painted, better than the rust look (paying attention, Leo? ).
How did you spray it without getting the paint overspray all over the place?

Originally Posted by KdF
OK, so before I throw any ducketts , whats the real opinion of this , cuz I have been loking for something like this for quite a while............
http://www.agentfortyseven.com/restyling/gt_grill.html
Looks okay, but without the bat.
Once upon a time, I was looking for a billet grille. But now, glad I didn't go that route.

Hey guys just got back from the BumbleBee Cruise.

I took some video but have know idea how to get it off the DVD and onto the PC.

Found this while on another forum last night. I wouldn't do it but doesn't look to bad.
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=685364
Cruise looked like alot of fun! Making me think I should've gone.. As it turned out, you guys had perfect weather.
I see my buddy Rob showed up too (Black GT w/red stripes and hood scoop).

A program should be included (with the camcorder) that'll allow you to 'rip' your video (or sections of it) off the mini-DVD (via USB or firewire cable) and convert it to avi, mpeg, mov or another format.
If no software, you'll have to download a dvd ripping program, put the mini-DVD in your PC drive (assuming you have a DVD-ROM drive), and rip it.

Functional quarter scoop looks like a good idea, but that one looks too 50's industrial type. Not sure if that one is completely weather tight either.
Old 2/10/07, 10:55 PM

... Maybe if you would have done something like this guy.
That's MustangJack's car. I PM'd him a while back asking about the Shaker to CAI ducting.

I'll put a write-up in the GT Performance section tomorrow.

They were $149.95, but then jumped up to $169.95. However, I just found today (why do I keep looking?) that Granatelli has a similar brace for $139.95:
Looking forward to the write-up.

You got me thinking about this mod now, but maybe in red. For me, I have no clue what the benefit will be, but it looks cool.

I'm not a fan of Granatelli anymore.. the rep didn't represent the company too well here in TMS. Not to mention Doug catching them pretty much duping the C&L intake.
Old 2/10/07, 11:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise looked like alot of fun! Making me think I should've gone.. As it turned out, you guys had perfect weather.
I see my buddy Rob showed up too (Black GT w/red stripes and hood scoop).

It was fun. Lots of fast cars. Listening to them get on the freeway or taking off from and the 'thunder' was worth it. Even though I was in the back I could tell when it was time to go. Of course I put almost 200 miles on my car today, 183 just for the cruise. All-n-all well worth it. Even if I was only one parking spot/ticket number away from winning the blower. Man that would have been sweet.

I posted some pics, finally, on the main 2005-2009 page. If you haven't check 'em out.

Once upon a time, I was looking for a billet grille. But now, glad I didn't go that route.

I for one am not a fan of billet grills. About the only grill I like is the SS Center fog grill. YMMV

I agree that taking all that stuff off will save a bunch of weight and is probably stronger but I like carving canyons too much to ditch the swaybar.

Old 2/11/07, 12:03 AM

My day today...

Although not as exciting as Leo and Brian's, I did get to polish my chrome tips today!

I don't know how your tips look like (well, I've seen Leo's.. pay attention), but mine started to tarnish near the bottom of the tip. I'm guessing it's from the condensation/moisture that accumulates when running. There's a small drain hole at the bottom right before the rolled tip, but it's probably not enough to prevent the tarnishing.

I used some Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and it removed the tarnish nicely.

Sorry, didn't think about taking any 'before' pics, but it wasn't pretty.

After the polish:

Old 2/11/07, 09:47 AM
GTR Member

My tips get the same way. When I wash the car, soap takes it off... but I do polish them, too, once in awhile. I think they are like that now... I'll take a "before" pic for you in a little while.
Old 2/11/07, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Aaaawwwwww... Come on Bill, The bats cool and you know it! I think you could would on a theme thing with.
Old 2/11/07, 11:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom-You can use the pics I took of my swaybar removal and use them for a more complete write-up.

Bill-You should've come out you missed out on a fun time and a chance to win a S/C.

FYI-I actually cleaned my tips with chrome polish the day before the cruise. I even remember Brian commenting on their shininess and asking how I got them that way.

I'll consider painting my pulley once Tom tells us how he kept from getting paint all over the place.
Old 2/12/07, 02:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just noticed Tom ordered the Radiator cover extensions. Looks like he'll be the test dummy.
Old 2/12/07, 04:32 AM
GTR Member

Pully looks great painted, better than the rust look (paying attention, Leo? ). How did you spray it without getting the paint overspray all over the place?
I painted it with a brush! I sprayed the black spray paint into the cap and then brushed it onto the pulley from underneath the car. I had to keep bumping the engine over to rotate the pulley.

Tom-You can use the pics I took of my swaybar removal and use them for a more complete write-up.
I'll consider painting my pulley once Tom tells us how he kept from getting paint all over the place.
I'll add them - I couldn't get in here yesterday at all.
Check above for the pulley info!

Just noticed Tom ordered the Radiator cover extensions. Looks like he'll be the test dummy.
I sent my incorrect colored strut tower covers back to get replacements and they are going to send the $99 option radiator extensions, too. Yes, I'll be the dummy pioneer again and I'll have the first Performance White extensions that they make.
Old 2/12/07, 06:11 AM
GTR Member

Awaiting your approval, Bill:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...255#post841255
Old 2/12/07, 07:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Although not as exciting as Leo and Brian's, I did get to polish my chrome tips today!

I don't know how your tips look like (well, I've seen Leo's.. pay attention), but mine started to tarnish near the bottom of the tip. I'm guessing it's from the condensation/moisture that accumulates when running. There's a small drain hole at the bottom right before the rolled tip, but it's probably not enough to prevent the tarnishing.

I used some Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and it removed the tarnish nicely.

Sorry, didn't think about taking any 'before' pics, but it wasn't pretty.
LOL, mine look horrible right now, due to the tarnish and the snow/rain/sleet etc. Got more coming in tonight I am SO tired of snow this year.
I will take some pictures tonight and we can compare tips. (The exhaust tips )
I will have to purchase some of the Turtle Wax Chrome Polish to apply to mine. I just don't see the point right now as it would just be dirty in a matter of days right now. When it warms/clears up around here (hopefully soon) I will get the car all spiffied up and looking pretty again. Not to mention install the CAI & BamaChips tune. I have had those almost 2 months now and haven't gotten to install them yet
Old 2/12/07, 08:06 AM

Bill-You should've come out you missed out on a fun time and a chance to win a S/C.
Thanks for rubbing it in Leo.

The chance of rain that day freaked me out.

I painted it with a brush! I sprayed the black spray paint into the cap and then brushed it onto the pulley from underneath the car. I had to keep bumping the engine over to rotate the pulley.
Looking thru your BMR install pics, I see that you missed a spot on the pulley.

Approved!

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
I will take some pictures tonight and we can compare tips. (The exhaust tips )

Not to mention install the CAI & BamaChips tune. I have had those almost 2 months now and haven't gotten to install them yet
Thanks for clarifying that, Daryl.

Now that you had 2 months to think about it, are you planning to run the ductwork to the CAI heatshield or remove the ducting all together?
Old 2/12/07, 08:25 AM
GTR Member

Looking thru your BMR install pics, I see that you missed a spot on the pulley.
Approved!
I saw that and went back and touched it up before lowering the car back down. Another thing I did that I didn't mention, was take very light sand paper and I sanded down where I painted to get rid of any brush strokes and to dull it up a little. Like anybody would even see this anyway.

And... thanks! I'll still go back and look through Leo's pics to add some swaybar removal pictures.
Old 2/12/07, 08:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for clarifying that, Daryl.
I have to cover all the bases with this group

Now that you had 2 months to think about it, are you planning to run the ductwork to the CAI heatshield or remove the ducting all together?
The plan has always been to route the ducting to the Heat Shield, unless I did not like the look then I would remove the ducting all together.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)