General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 10/27/06, 10:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
I don't know why anybody would really want the 93T. Around town, stop and go, why do you need power - so you can haul a$$ to the next light? Then when you finally get to open it up, the power drops off.

I think if somebody HAD to get 3 tunes only, they should get 87P, 91/93P, and 91/93R. Then, like you said, they would have a low octane tune if they had to fill up with 87.
I do a lot of Stop & Go (avg MPH is 23 ) , but I think that is what I will get 87P, 91P & 91R
Old 10/27/06, 10:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I think if somebody HAD to get 3 tunes only, they should get 87P, 91/93P, and 91/93R. Then, like you said, they would have a low octane tune if they had to fill up with 87.

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
... but I think that is what I will get 87P, 91P & 91R
Old 10/27/06, 11:28 PM
GTR Member

I do a lot of Stop & Go (avg MPH is 23 )
Wow, thought you said avg MPG is 23! I was like, WHAT?

My avg MPH is 40-ish. My avg MPG is 20.0 (21.0 if I'm lucky).

Only 91 in OK, too? Yeah, the 91T would be totally useless for you, IMO.
Old 10/28/06, 12:58 AM

Okay, got a chance to try out the Adam's 'In & Out' spray. This stuff works great! But, try and not to get this stuff on your paint, had to go over it with my Z-6 to wipe it off.

The difference is amazing!

BEFORE

AFTER

Here's some pics of the front grille.

Thanks Leo!
Old 10/28/06, 01:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom- I was talking about the tonneau not the other little gay add on piece. I'm going to guess it was the speaker cover causing the rattle.

Bill-Your car looks even better after the Adam's spray. I noticed you missed a spot though right above your pony. Looks like you were being cautious not to get any on the pony.
Old 10/28/06, 07:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Interesting thread if you haven't seen it yet.
Old 10/28/06, 09:08 AM
GTR Member

Too bad they don't show flow numbers with the stock air box AND a K&N Air Filter.
The stock data is with a paper filter and the others are with a K&N-type cloth filter.

------------------------------------

Nothing against the aftermarket CAIs, but another reason why I like the stock air box is because it is completely sealed to the shaker tube. So it helps with the following:

One of the restrictions of the stock air box is not the air tube from the air box to the throttle body, but it's the opening into the fenderwell.

With the shaker, it now has the fenderwell to pull air from AND it has the shaker to pull air from. Even if air isn't being forced through the shaker, it's still a source of additional air for the stock air box to suck air from.

I would like to see flow numbers with a K&N air filter, and a shaker since the main restrictions are removed - paper filter & small opening for air.

Also, all air sources are cold air - fenderwell and shaker scoop.
Old 10/28/06, 09:27 AM

I started reading Doug's thread and man is it long!

Bottom line, you got an intake system that works.
Old 10/28/06, 10:00 AM

My oil change write-up is complete!

Check it out here.

It's meant for first-timers, and I'm sure there's plenty on this Forum.
Old 10/28/06, 12:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
I started reading Doug's thread and man is it long!

Bottom line, you got an intake system that works.
One of the point they seem to make is that the maximum airflow the engine can really use is way less than the CAIs that they are testing. That means the K&N aircharger has all the airflow neede to make maximum HP. I am getting a custom 93 tune for mine either really soon or after winter (snow dependent). The tuner at the dyno shop also said the K&N flowed plenty of air and there was no point to getting a bigger one. He should know, he writes tunes for mikem and dustindu4 and a lot of the other local guys.
http://www.performance-dyno.com/
Old 10/28/06, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Hi y'all! Whew, I gotta catch up!
Old 10/28/06, 01:40 PM
GTR Member

I'm going to guess it was the speaker cover causing the rattle.
It was the antenna. I was only tightening it hand tight so I could remove it easily to cover the car. Over time, it loosened up and was rattling on the base. After I tightened it, the rattle went away - I can't believe I could hear it so good inside!

One of the point they seem to make is that the maximum airflow the engine can really use is way less than the CAIs that they are testing. That means the K&N aircharger has all the airflow needed to make maximum HP.
That's good for Bill and Leo - and me, too (knowing you don't need thousands of cfm).

Hi y'all! Whew, I gotta catch up!
Welcome to our thread, Susan! Oh, wait, you aren't new...
Old 10/28/06, 02:08 PM
GTR Member

Since I'm tearing the whole car apart Tues/Wed/Thurs to change oil, rotate tires, and clean & paint rotors, I think I'll order these:

https://www.rpmoutlet.com/ezRetail/s...hp?msg_id=1085

If they ship Monday, I should have them Wednesday from TX. If not, I'll change oil this week, and do the tire rotation, rotor painting, and strut/shock change out next week.

This should clean up the ride quite a bit and make it less "busy" as described by a few people. I don't feel I need the adjustable expensive shocks... these are $389 with free shipping.

I just put up this thread to see if people call me crazy:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=55566

Don't reply unless you have something meaningful to say.
Old 10/28/06, 05:36 PM

... I think I'll order these:
Those are nice! They should make a difference on road feel. As to whether they're more perfomance tuned or comfort tuned, I dunno. The ride may actually get stiffer.
There's a couple threads here on guys who installed the FRPP handling package. You may want to PM them and get some feedback as to how they like (or dislike) the ride.

I just put up this thread to see if people call me crazy:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=55566
Don't reply unless you have something meaningful to say.
Meaningful?? Hey, everything we tell you is meaningful!
Old 10/28/06, 06:14 PM
GTR Member

... I think I'll order these:
Those are nice! They should make a difference on road feel. As to whether they're more perfomance tuned or comfort tuned, I dunno. The ride may actually get stiffer.
There's a couple threads here on guys who installed the FRPP handling package. You may want to PM them and get some feedback as to how they like (or dislike) the ride.

The handling packages add stiffer sway bars, plus the springs themselves drop the car more than the Ultra-Lights, so they are stiffer. The few people that I have talked to that had dropped their cars (with various springs) found that the ride was more comfortable and less "busy" with the FRPP struts and shocks - as they're designed to work with lowered vehicles.

But, to be sure, I'll post a thread to find out. I'll tell my set-up and see if the struts/shocks will make the ride softer or stiffer.
Old 10/28/06, 06:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

OK now that I have calmed down, I will share my morning from Hell with you guys
It's about 10:00am and we are leaving to go watch OU play Missouri. It is beautiful outside and may car has dirt all over it from the recent moisture, Oklahoma dust and wind. So i decide we will stop by the car wash and hit her with the Spot Free rinse and a soft towel, to spiff her up a bit.
We enter the stall put the money in and begin. My son is spraying and I am using the towel. We are almost done and my son says "Dad look at my hand" Well I look over and he has black grease/oil all over his right hand. I was like oh crap don't touch anything, but too late. I notice several spots on the car with this crap all over. So we finish up and I have to now go back home, clean up and wash the car with Zaino to get rid of the grease/oil.
We walk in the house to get the soap, bucket, etc and as I turn around to walk outside I see to my horror perfect grease/oil footprints where ever I had been My carpet is ruined so now I have to replace it. Then it hits me, oh S**T the CAR !!!! I go take a quick look and it is all OVER my racing pedals and floor mats. Floor Mats ruined. I had to remove all the Autovation Stuff and clean it with soap and water. Luckily they cleaned up nice.
So I am cleaning the pedals as ****ed as I have been in a LONG time. So I smack on the water and break my faucet Have to replace it.
Well as you might assume I am furious at this point, had to send my son outside so he didn't see me spewing expletives like a sailor.
Anyway I guess some inconsiderate Jacka$$ washed off something that was so filthy it was unbelievable. It was all over the spray wand and the ground. Makes me want to people like that.
Thank God OU won or I may have killed someone
One bright spot is the carpet is still fine, thanks to the ruined floor mats, and nothing on the leather.

Any suggestions on new floor mats??
Old 10/28/06, 06:31 PM
GTR Member

Sorry about your day...

A guy at work got clear floor mats for his brand new truck. I'm thinking about getting a set of them to use for daily driving. They are plastic, so they will last a long time.

Then, for car shows, I would put in the red floor mats with the AutoVation heel guard - which is kinda annoying to drive with anyway. (For a long time, Bill).

Then the red ones would last the life of the car... and I could change the cheap, clear plastic ones as needed.
Old 10/28/06, 10:20 PM
GTR Member

But, to be sure, I'll post a thread to find out. I'll tell my set-up and see if the struts/shocks will make the ride softer or stiffer.
Here's my thread to see what the Ford Racing struts/shocks will do:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=55578
Old 10/28/06, 11:49 PM

OK now that I have calmed down, I will share my morning from Hell with you guys

Wow. That sux big time, Daryl.
Some moron most likely degreased his engine in that stall.
Try some of that Purple Cleaner/Degreaser on your floormats to try and salvage them. That stuff works pretty good.

But, this may be a good time to get a set of Ford Racing mats! (Only $34 plus shipping)

A guy at work got clear floor mats for his brand new truck. I'm thinking about getting a set of them to use for daily driving. They are plastic, so they will last a long time.

Then, for car shows, I would put in the red floor mats with the AutoVation heel guard - which is kinda annoying to drive with anyway. (For a long time, Bill).

Then the red ones would last the life of the car... and I could change the cheap, clear plastic ones as needed.
I just went to Target and bought some El Cheapo black bath towels to lay over my front and rear mats. Then when showtime comes, I'll just remove the towels.

Yes Tom, I agree, the heel guard does feel a bit funky, but it looks cool! Same goes for the dead pedal, all looks for me. If I rest my left foot on it, it may come loose!
Old 10/28/06, 11:56 PM

Here's my thread to see what the Ford Racing struts/shocks will do:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=55578

So, is it safe to say they are more "comfort tuned" and not "performance tuned"?
If I had to bet money, I'd say your ride will stiffen. Although these dampeners look cool as hell, they are part of a performance handling package which can only mean one thing... they're not tuned for comfort.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)