General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/06, 11:41 AM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 27, 2006, 1:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>And to top it off, they're BFG G-Force T/A's![/b][/quote]Yes... BFG g-Force T/A All-Season tires. Still a good, even great, tire.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 27, 2006, 1:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Can't wait to see them on the car.[/b][/quote]Me, too!<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Royal Purple Manual Tranny Fluid = Good thing ??
What about rear-end gear oil ? I thought I read somewhere that the tranny oil was too slick and caused problems ?? When do you plan on changing it?[/b][/quote]The rear end already has synthetic oil in it. The Royal Purple Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid actually arrived for Mike. He wants to change it, so I'll see what happens to his before I change mine! I put it in my sig to see if anybody would notice.

I have it in my '89 and it did quiet down some transmission whine. Of course, that transmission is 16 years old!
Old 4/27/06, 11:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 27, 2006, 10:44 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yes... BFG g-Force T/A All-Season tires. Still a good, even great, tire.
[/b][/quote]
You're just trying to make me feel better. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] (it's working though)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 27, 2006, 10:26 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Royal Purple Manual Tranny Fluid = Good thing ??
[/b][/quote]
For what it's worth, here's a comment from a Senior Member of a Vette forum;

I have dynoed motors on all three oils. The end results is that all three make 1 - 1 1/2% more power than the same motor with petroleum base oils. They are all so close the results fall within the repeatability standard of the dyno.

I recomend to my customers Mobil 1 10W30 for gas engines and Royal Purple 41 or 21 racing oil for methanol engines. These are for high compression , high HP engines. Lower compression and lower HP could get away with a lighter oil.

I find that Amsoil darkens up much more quickly than the other 2. I have never seen any ill results from this but it just bothers me, So I guess it is just a preference.

On Royal Purple vs Mobil 1, it may just boil down to personal preference.

(Mobil 1 for me! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] )
Old 4/27/06, 12:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 27, 2006, 12:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
On Royal Purple vs Mobil 1, it may just boil down to personal preference.

(Mobil 1 for me! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] )
[/b][/quote]
I was referring to the tranny fluid and gear oil, not engine oil, I am MOBIL1 on that for sure.
Just noticed Tom's sig and wondered if he was changing to synthetic for the tranny and when. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 12:11 PM
GTR Member

Yeah, Bill... we're talking tranny fluid here! Keep up! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 12:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 27, 2006, 11:14 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yeah, Bill... we're talking tranny fluid here! Keep up! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Oops! Sorry, fellas. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Refer back to my post when this topic moves to synthetic engine oils.

As far as the tranny and differential oils, I have no clue! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 12:29 PM
GTR Member

Well, my avatar is a little whiter, with a nice shadow now.

Here are some pics of the one tire change out:

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f167/89T...tangs/Bullitts/

It was hard to get the exact same view to show the offset, but it is still under the fenderwell. Just about what I calculated... close to .25" under the fenderwell more than the 20's. So many things are different, though. Since Mike's are 255/35-20 on a 20x8.5" rim, and mine are 255/45-18 on a 18x9" rims.

Tell me what you think?

Better than the 20's? Worse? The same? Stick out too far? Not enough? Just right?

I left my camera on a lower setting to take a shot of the GT for the avatar, and forgot to raise the setting for the tire shots... So, the pictures are smaller and less quality.

I added some rear shots to the album.
Old 4/27/06, 12:41 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 27, 2006, 11:32 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Tell me what you think?

Better than the 20's? Worse? The same? Stick out too far? Not enough? Just right?
[/b][/quote]
Looks really nice! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
It really matches your PW with the black vert top perfectly.

Man, what a difference between your old tread patterns to the new ones.

Offset looks perfect too; sticks out just far enough to show that you mean business.

Betcha can't wait for the center caps to come in!

btw- That better not be your new car cover on the ground in pic 3129! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img]

You know, the black anodized billet fuel door would look pretty nice... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 12:47 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 27, 2006, 2:44 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Looks really nice! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] It really matches your PW with the black vert top perfectly. Man, what a difference between your old tread patterns to the new ones. Offset looks perfect too; sticks out just far enough to show that you mean business. Betcha can't wait for the center caps to come in! btw- That better not be your new car cover on the ground in pic 3129! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif[/img] You know, the black anodized billet fuel door would look pretty nice... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img][/b][/quote]
Thanks! At first I thought they stuck out more than I thought they would, but I guess not. Bet it'll be a few days for the caps... oh well, I've waited this long.

The car cover is grey. That's a "so I don't have to lay on the hot driveway" sheet.

Still don't know about the fuel door. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]

I could get a locking one... check out these:

http://www.autoaccessory4u.com/bifudo05fomu.html

$100.95 for a black locking gas cap.
Old 4/27/06, 01:02 PM

[attachmentid=47885]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 27, 2006, 11:50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I could get a locking one... check out these:

http://www.autoaccessory4u.com/bifudo05fomu.html

$100.95 for a black locking gas cap.
[/b][/quote]
Nooo! Not one of those. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nono.gif[/img]
The powdercoated finish is too shiny.

Don't worry about the locking stuff, you don't have a locking door now, right?

Comparing those other doors to SHR's, there's only 1 choice. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 01:08 PM
GTR Member

IF I got one, I would get the SHR one, but I don't think I will. I know you get what you pay for.
Old 4/27/06, 01:41 PM

Tom- Are planning on using some Zaino Z-16 on the new tires?

I have it, but haven't put any on my tires yet, only on the interior and engine bay.
Old 4/27/06, 02:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Those look awsome Tom, much better than stock IMO. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]
Man those calipers just SCREAM to be painted now.

I would like to see a photochop of the SHR Black on your car to better determine my perference and I agree theirs looks the best by far, but darn that is expensive for a fuel door [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 02:04 PM
GTR Member

I really like Michelin's New Wheel And Tire Care Products. I read about them in Popular Mechanics. The Tire Shine has no harsh petroleum distillates or paraffinic hydrocarbons. The petroleum based products (like Armor All) actually eat away at the tires. I'm not sure what the Z-16 has in it, but I do like it for the underhood plastic parts (I don't think it would eat away at plastic if it did have petroleum distallates in it).

In the pictures, I did no cleaning of the tires or rims at all. There was still some remnants of the monkey snot they use to help get the tire over the rim. Just wipes right off, though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 27, 2006, 4:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Those look awesome Tom, much better than stock IMO. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img]
Man those calipers just SCREAM to be painted now.

I would like to see a photochop of the SHR Black on your car to better determine my perference and I agree theirs looks the best by far, but darn that is expensive for a fuel door [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Thanks! Well, I won't, won't, won't paint them red, but maybe black. But then it might blend in too much with the rims. I don't know...

Bill did a photo-chop for me already. Maybe he'll share it.

Yes, darn the price... and darn the language filter.
Old 4/27/06, 02:16 PM

Not the best photochop, door came out more bronze looking, but you can at least see the contrast.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 27, 2006, 1:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I really like Michelin's New Wheel And Tire Care Products.

In the pictures, I did no cleaning of the tires or rims at all. There was still some remnants of the monkey snot they use to help get the tire over the rim. Just wipes right off, though.
[/b][/quote]
Monkey snot?? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] Never heard that one before.

I don't recall seeing any Michelin products at my autoparts store.
I may give the Z-16 a try on my tires since I have it and all. As long as the coating doesn't fling off all over the sides of the fender, it'll be all good!
Old 4/27/06, 02:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

mmmmm, the girls in the office just showed up with Orange Sherbert Shakes for everyone. See Susan I think women are good for something [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 03:12 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 27, 2006, 4:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Monkey snot?? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] Never heard that one before.[/b][/quote]Also used to lube up wires when you are trying to pull a bunch through conduit and exceeding the National Electrical Code's maximum "conduit fill".

Tire's all put away and protected until the caps arrive. Then they will be covered again until the second set of caps arrive. I'm guessing by the unique-ness of the AFS center caps, that the Mustang Tuning ones won't work.

[attachmentid=47889]

I guess I could put them on without caps (if the Mustang Tuning ones don't work right). Then I can just snap the AFS caps in when they arrive.

Here is why I don't think the Mustang Tuning caps will work... the AFS caps are so thick:

[attachmentid=47891]

The sides look a little scuffed, but that goes in the center and is completely flush with the black part of the wheel.
Old 4/27/06, 03:14 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 27, 2006, 1:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
mmmmm, the girls in the office just showed up with Orange Sherbert Shakes for everyone. See Susan I think women are good for something [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Hope Susan doesn't read that. If she does, you better start !
Old 4/27/06, 03:25 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 27, 2006, 2:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I guess I could put them on without caps (if the Mustang Tuning ones don't work right). Then I can just snap the AFS caps in when they arrive.

Here is why I don't think the Mustang Tuning caps will work... the AFS caps are so thick...
[/b][/quote]
I'm confused. Didn't the 'Cobra' center caps come with the wheels?

Which style did you order from Mustang Tuning?

Will any of these fit?
Old 4/27/06, 03:31 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 27, 2006, 5:28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Will any of these fit?[/b][/quote]
Yes, the cobra caps came with the wheels, but I don't have a Cobra. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I ordered the Pony caps from Mustang Tuning. They are black and look almost like my stock center caps.

Pre-2005 Mustang center caps = 2 1/2" diameter.

2005+ Mustang center caps = 2 3/4" diameter.

Aftermarket 2005+ rims = 2 1/2" diameter.

So, nothing made for the stock rims will fit aftermarket rims. And, there is still the thickness of the cap to consider. The Mustang Tuning caps are 2 1/2" diameter, so they will probably snap right in. However, they may be WAY in the hole if they are thinner.
Old 4/27/06, 03:40 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(89Trooper @ April 27, 2006, 2:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So, nothing made for the stock rims will fit aftermarket rims. And, there is still the thickness of the cap to consider. The Mustang Tuning caps are 2 1/2" diameter, so they will probably snap right in. However, they may be WAY in the hole if they are thinner.
[/b][/quote]
Hopefully they'll be the right thickness to flush it to the rim. If not, can you fabricate a shim for them?

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)