General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Do V8 owners look down on V6 mustangs?

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/13, 02:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan

Unfortunately some people view it like this. "A fast V6 is still a v6" or a more common way people say that is "a fast Honda is still a Honda" those two saying kind of go hand in hand when people talk down about other cars.
Oh man don't rope the sixxers in with the likes of Honda, there have been plenty of awesome six cylinders. Vr4, 300z, supra, skyline, new GTR. In reality we may be seeing the last of the great v8s.
Old 1/22/13, 02:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but I financed my first Mustang in my 20s. I sure wish there was a V6 performance car back then. Sadly, I remember going without alot of things for that car. I look back on it years later and smile as it disintegrates in my in-laws shed. Time waits for no man and I realize that every thrill in life is forever fleeting.

That being said,

Everyone has got to get the "V8 bug bite" out of their system some time or another in their lives. Otherwise, they will become middle aged, balding men in Corvettes revving around the local college campus.

If you can swing the pricey V8s then do it. Please just respect everyone else in the process. Most importantly, be grateful for what you have and don't focus on what others don't have.

The coin can always flip at any time.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 1/22/13 at 02:43 PM.
Old 1/22/13, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unfortunately some people view it like this. "A fast V6 is still a v6" or a more common way people say that is "a fast Honda is still a Honda" those two saying kind of go hand in hand when people talk down about other cars.

Thats when you say back..."Nice car...sorry about the.......
Old 1/22/13, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by steven46746

Oh man don't rope the sixxers in with the likes of Honda, there have been plenty of awesome six cylinders. Vr4, 300z, supra, skyline, new GTR. In reality we may be seeing the last of the great v8s.
300z? You mean 350z which is slower than a 05-09 Gt and after mods is slower than a new edge. Also the 370z is slower than the new 5.0 and stock is about as fast as the 05-09 GT. Also the only reason the GTR is fast is because of computers and AWD it's a soulless car that takes the skill out of anything you do it in. I look at GTR owners who think they are the fastest....no you have no driving skill so you choose n the only car that can do everything but steer the car for you. (Well actually with it's computer the computer takes all the skill of cornering away and getting the car to launch) I really dislike it with a passion and only because it's soulless. D: can't have fun with no soul! Alway it has twin turbo....wonder what would happen is the mustang had AWD and twin turbo and a good launch software?
Old 1/22/13, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JCStang

Thats when you say back..."Nice car...sorry about the.......
Sorry about what? I don't have a v6 do I don't get that comment, but please finish that sentence.
Old 1/22/13, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Not to hijack this thread but I financed my first Mustang in my 20s. I sure wish there was a V6 performance car back then. Sadly, I remember going without alot of things for that car. I look back on it years later and smile as it disintegrates in my in-laws shed. Time waits for no man and I realize that every thrill in life is forever fleeting.

That being said,

Everyone has got to get the "V8 bug bite" out of their system some time or another in their lives. Otherwise, they will become middle aged, balding men in Corvettes revving around the local college campus.

If you can swing the pricey V8s then do it. Please just respect everyone else in the process. Most importantly, be grateful for what you have and don't focus on what others don't have.

I did when I was younger and single...64 GTO with 389 Tri-Power, a Charger, a Trans Am, a Z-28, a ( granted it only had 140 hp) Mustang Cobra, a 87 GT 5.0...just a few of the 45 or so cars I have owned.....this will be my toy till I die....unless i come into some serious coin somehow....
Old 1/22/13, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

300z? You mean 350z which is slower than a 05-09 Gt and after mods is slower than a new edge. Also the 370z is slower than the new 5.0 and stock is about as fast as the 05-09 GT. Also the only reason the GTR is fast is because of computers and AWD it's a soulless car that takes the skill out of anything you do it in. I look at GTR owners who think they are the fastest....no you have no driving skill so you choose n the only car that can do everything but steer the car for you. (Well actually with it's computer the computer takes all the skill of cornering away and getting the car to launch) I really dislike it with a passion and only because it's soulless. D: can't have fun with no soul! Alway it has twin turbo....wonder what would happen is the mustang had AWD and twin turbo and a good launch software?
All cars listed in twin turbo trim, and yes 300z, compare any listed to what Chevy or ford had in 94.
Old 1/22/13, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by steven46746

All cars listed in twin turbo trim, and yes 300z, compare any listed to what Chevy or ford had in 94.
Meh that was back then, this is now! The v8 finally got a reboot! Well at least American V8's back then super cars with big engines where still faster.
Old 1/22/13, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by JCStang

I did when I was younger and single...64 GTO with 389 Tri-Power, a Charger, a Trans Am, a Z-28, a ( granted it only had 140 hp) Mustang Cobra, a 87 GT 5.0...just a few of the 45 or so cars I have owned.....this will be my toy till I die....unless i come into some serious coin somehow....
Nice cars! My lineup was 00 Saleen SC281, 04 Mach 1, Jeep V8 4x4 and several Toyotas along the way until I came to my senses and got the 11 V6.

I'm sure ill pick up a 16 or 17 in the future. Until then, I love my little toy also. It's such a light and fun car!
Old 1/22/13, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice cars! My lineup was 00 Saleen SC281, 04 Mach 1, Jeep V8 4x4 and several Toyotas along the way until I came to my senses and got the 11 V6.

I'm sure ill pick up a 16 or 17 in the future. Until then, I love my little toy also. It's such a light and fun car!
See that's the kind of talk that V8 users say. "Came to my senses and bought -insert v8 variant of mustang here-" though for you it doesn't seem like you want to go fast more make any substantial power through bolt ons so I would say you made the right choice.
Old 1/22/13, 03:32 PM

See that's the kind of talk that V8 users say. "Came to my senses and bought -insert v8 variant of mustang here-" though for you it doesn't seem like you want to go fast more make any substantial power through bolt ons so I would say you made the right choice.
Strange, I just had a similar conversation with my wife as we were getting her Fusion serviced. I joked and said I'd sure love to swap the V6 for a shiny new GT. Of course I didn't really mean it.

She said, considering the budget of a teacher: would you go back to stock and look like everyone else's base car?, downgrade your interior?, increase your payment and APR?, start the loan all over again?, increase your car insurance?, unpredictable gas prices?, Obama in office for four more years?

I told her: what if I picked up one of the used low mileage GTs?

Being a CPA, she broke the math down of the trade and about how I would certainly lose my @ss. Then she told me I'd then want the new 2015s when they came out! Possibly so.

What hit home was the drive home! We literally sat in traffic. When we did get moving, she pointed out our standstill and every single police stopped car and asked me was I really going to be able to use the extra power of the GT realistically? In the city we live in, you can't even fart without a police officer noticing.

Then she mentioned taking a trip to the Bahamas and her new bikini. I don't remember anything else after that.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 1/22/13 at 03:33 PM.
Old 1/22/13, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Strange, I just had a similar conversation with my wife as we were getting her Fusion serviced. I joked and said I'd sure love to swap the V6 for a shiny new GT. Of course I didn't really mean it.

She said, considering the budget of a teacher: would you go back to stock and look like everyone else's base car?, downgrade your interior?, increase your payment and APR?, start the loan all over again?, increase your car insurance?, unpredictable gas prices?, Obama in office for four more years?

I told her: what if I picked up one of the used low mileage GTs?

Being a CPA, she broke the math down of the trade and about how I would certainly lose my @ss. Then she told me I'd then want the new 2015s when they came out! Possibly so.

What hit home was the drive home! We literally sat in traffic. When we did get moving, she pointed out our standstill and every single police stopped car and asked me was I really going to be able to use the extra power of the GT realistically? In the city we live in, you can't even fart without a police officer noticing.

Then she mentioned taking a trip to the Bahamas and her new bikini. I don't remember anything else after that.
In the city there's not any real need for a GT I admit. I live closer to what people would call the country and it's right at home here.
Old 1/22/13, 05:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That being said,

This is well said. Everything is relative anyway.
Old 1/23/13, 05:44 AM
GT Member

Interesting thread. Seems like age might have something to do with choice. When I was young, in the 60's had 69 Charger 383 magnum 4spd, 66 GTO auto, 66 Impala SS 6cyllinder 3 on the tree. Raised a daughter while owning station wagon and minivans.

Retired and bought a 01 Corvette 6sp. Yes many owners are old men who want that V8 muscle again. At least that's why I bought mine. It was lots of fun. Go to a Corvette forum and many owners look at Mustangs as a young man's vehicle.

Got tired of the Corvette, yea it was powerful and fast and handled great, but it was noisy and expensive to maintain. I was always very cautious about where I parked it etc. Value of Corvettes are very dependent on condition.

When I was ready I traded it in for my 2013 Mustang Premium V6. Got a great trade in price etc. Now I have what I consider a luxury sports car. (my words) Its as fast as I need, had a lot of pep, yet its comfortable with leather interior power everything, and with the electronics package has all the bells and whistles I never had in other cars.

If you see me on the road I probably have the cruise control on and am listening to SIRIUS while following my GPS.

Different strokes for different folks !!

Oh and this is my first Mustang.
Old 1/23/13, 01:15 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I've never seen a 6 cylinder Roush.
One of my local dealers has one for sale (with a few v8's and a boss 302...)

http://www.butlerford.com/new/Ford/2...076d8e039f.htm
Old 1/23/13, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Xar
One of my local dealers has one for sale (with a few v8's and a boss 302...)

http://www.butlerford.com/new/Ford/2...076d8e039f.htm
that roush rs has stock exhaust? ew
Old 1/23/13, 01:56 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok - caught up on this thread - interesting conversation.

OP - I absolutely love mustangs, always have, I don't care what engine is under the hood, the car is gorgeous.

Personally, I wanted a v8, was actually looking at a boss 302 but ended up with a gt prem as I will rarely (if ever) track it, and the creature comforts are nice in the GT. My dad had a fox body 5.0 back in the 80's and that car was amazing to me, my parents grew up in the 60's drag racing all the great American v8's, so their tales probably inspired me.

although a v6 could have been an option, I didn't get a mustang until last year (traded in a 2010 Altima - great car btw). I knew I wanted to hear the growl of a v8, convinced the wife (after about 6 months of showing her pics, reviews, etc). I've not regretted it once. Maybe it's a midlife crisis (turning 43 this year), wife calls the car "the other woman", and I'm a total enthusiast and just talking about it makes me want to go drive it.

With all that said - I never ever say "ah - only a v6..."

as for insurance - I pay $90 / month on my mustang - probably because my 21 year old daughter is on my insurance policy...
Old 1/23/13, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Xar
Ok - caught up on this thread - interesting conversation.

OP - I absolutely love mustangs, always have, I don't care what engine is under the hood, the car is gorgeous.

Personally, I wanted a v8, was actually looking at a boss 302 but ended up with a gt prem as I will rarely (if ever) track it, and the creature comforts are nice in the GT. My dad had a fox body 5.0 back in the 80's and that car was amazing to me, my parents grew up in the 60's drag racing all the great American v8's, so their tales probably inspired me.

although a v6 could have been an option, I didn't get a mustang until last year (traded in a 2010 Altima - great car btw). I knew I wanted to hear the growl of a v8, convinced the wife (after about 6 months of showing her pics, reviews, etc). I've not regretted it once. Maybe it's a midlife crisis (turning 43 this year), wife calls the car "the other woman", and I'm a total enthusiast and just talking about it makes me want to go drive it.

With all that said - I never ever say "ah - only a v6..."

as for insurance - I pay $90 / month on my mustang - probably because my 21 year old daughter is on my insurance policy...
Well glad you got a GT. Also I had to talk my dad into getting a 05-09 v6 as my first car. Then 6 months later traded it for a v8. I probably wouldn't have gotten it if my dad wasnt going through the mid life crisis. Lol Who ever bought my v6 must be happy, I put over 1k in mods on it. It sold off the lot in no more than I'd say a week.
Old 1/23/13, 02:06 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Not all do but alot do. When people look at my car I always get " what's under the hood?" Question. I always say oh it's just the 4.0 v6, I'd say about half the time I get the response "it's still a nice car" & the other half I get "it'd be a nice v8 or GT", which I know. All in good time my people's, all In good time.
Old 1/23/13, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel
Not all do but alot do. When people look at my car I always get " what's under the hood?" Question. I always say oh it's just the 4.0 v6, I'd say about half the time I get the response "it's still a nice car" & the other half I get "it'd be a nice v8 or GT", which I know. All in good time my people's, all In good time.
I'm lucky after 3 years I'm giving my car to my dad for 6k then going halfs with him on a new car. Might get a 03-04 cobra for 20k.

Quick Reply: Do V8 owners look down on V6 mustangs?