General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Do V8 owners look down on V6 mustangs?

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/13, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
I don't look down on v6 owners but I don't know why v-6 owners buy v6's and then try to make them faster or even mod them. I think the v6 should just be driven and not messed with.
Well, I can tell you that even though it's a v6 people still like to make the car their own. Some would have bought the v8 but could only afford the v6 so they have fun modding that instead.
Old 1/22/13, 10:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Most people seem to be under the impression that the V6 people bought the V6 because they couldn't afford the GT V8. This is the problem.

Given that, even with a GT in hands, it's still not a GT 500. Lol

IMO: You might as well save your coins and throw that extra money into investments that WILL appreciate. (I.e. mortgage, savings, stocks, mutual funds, CDs, college funds/education and other investments) Even with V8 engines, cars seldom prove financial investments.

Better yet, RETIREMENT. Lord knows the government isn't going to help you there. I don't mind driving the perceived " lesser" V6 car to stabilize myself in an otherwise rocky economy.

See you in Barbados!
Old 1/22/13, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Most people seem to be under the impression that the V6 people bought the V6 because they couldn't afford the GT V8. This is the problem.

Given that, even with a GT in hands, it's still not a GT 500. Lol

IMO: You might as well save your coins and throw that extra money into investments that WILL appreciate. (I.e. mortgage, savings, stocks, mutual funds, CDs, college funds/education and other investments) Even with V8 engines, cars seldom prove financial investments.

Better yet, RETIREMENT. Lord knows the government isn't going to help you there. I don't mind driving the perceived " lesser" V6 car to stabilize myself in an otherwise rocky economy.

See you in Barbados!
The usual reasons go as follows can't afford it, gas or insurance. Though the one thing I've noticed is yeah you spend a extra say 3-4k for a GT, it will have a better resale price than the v6 in some cases double the resale price for a used one.

Last edited by TheMuffinMan; 1/22/13 at 10:54 AM.
Old 1/22/13, 11:05 AM
FR500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my sixxer and would consider myself that 1of 10. Definitely an enthusiast! I can afford the gas for the new gt but the main thing is insurance. I cant afford that on my broke college kid budget, i just dont have anough time to work enough hours
But once the 15 cones out ill be lookin at jumpin back into a v8!
Old 1/22/13, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

I have no problem with anyone in a Mustang. We all had the good sense to buy one. I have noticed when I wave at another Mustang, if it is the V6, they seldom wave back.

As for the Automatic, I have always had manuals, going back to the 60"s, and my current '11 is a manual' however, I am awaiting delivery of 2013 DIB GT/CS, with the automatic. I am tired of being stuck in traffic when we travel, with the stick, so when Ford came out with the 6 sp auto, I said why not.
Old 1/22/13, 11:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
I love my sixxer and would consider myself that 1of 10. Definitely an enthusiast! I can afford the gas for the new gt but the main thing is insurance. I cant afford that on my broke college kid budget, i just dont have anough time to work enough hours
But once the 15 cones out ill be lookin at jumpin back into a v8!

makes me curious, what do some of you pay for insurance on your v6's?

mines about 100$ a month on my GT.
Old 1/22/13, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rmurer

For 6 months just to have me on a Subaru station wagon it's around 1200-1500 bucks. I can onu imagine how it would be if my dad put my name as primary for the GT.
Old 1/22/13, 11:29 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
you spend a extra say 3-4k for a GT, it will have a better resale price than the v6 in some cases double the resale price for a used one.
You pay alot more than that depending on your interest rate over the life of the loan. If you locked in a 0% APR, then consider yourself a lotto winner and hold on to the car forever because you take a hit to the wallet the second you pull it off the lot or resell it.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 1/22/13 at 11:32 AM.
Old 1/22/13, 11:29 AM
Cobra R Member

For 6 months just to have me on a Subaru station wagon it's around 1200-1500 bucks. I can onu imagine how it would be if my dad put my name as primary for the GT.

eesh! mine's 1200 for year i couldn't imagine that for 6 months for a subaru wagon.
Old 1/22/13, 11:33 AM
FR500 Member

Im only 19 still and have a couple accidents ( neither were my fault) so im at 200 a month
Old 1/22/13, 11:36 AM
Bullitt Member

It's interesting from the v6 owners perspective because I find that the people that hate on the new 6 are the less informed. The knowledgeable guys on this forum, for the most part respect the new 6 for what it is. That said, there have been some over zealous v6 owners on here that give us all a bad reputation.

Honestly, the "why didn't you get the v8?" question is completely unreasonable in my situation. My car was 22K. 201A package. I got it because I have always loved mustangs, and enjoy driving. Really, the GT was not even close to being an option price wise. I didn't choose a v6 over a 5.0, I chose a v6 over a civic; and most people don't realize that. I could have gotten an 05-09 GT but I went for the new car, better mileage, and cheaper insurance.

It seems that most v8 owners think that the 6 guys chose a v6 over a GT, or that they somehow think it is better than a v8. Few people cross-shop a 11-13 v6 and a 11-13 5.0.
Old 1/22/13, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

eesh! mine's 1200 for year i couldn't imagine that for 6 months for a subaru wagon.
Note that was before my brother got a suspended license and a ticket all with the first 6 months of having his license. Since then the bill went up by 600. Also I don't take out loans for cars. The car I got was only 11k. Also the extra in taxes for a GT all depend on how much money you put down so it could be the exact same as getting a V6. I would never take a loan out where I would have to pay 400-500 bucks a month. I'd put a good amount of money as a down payment. Mind you a base price GT is the equivalent of a up optioned V6. If you put money down say to bridge the gap of the difference the cost of the loan would also be the same.
Old 1/22/13, 11:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
Im only 19 still and have a couple accidents ( neither were my fault) so im at 200 a month
yeah that'll do it. im 27 and have hardly anything on my record.

My younger brother who is 25, got a DUI and he pays more for insurance for his newer chevy malibu
Old 1/22/13, 11:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Note that was before my brother got a suspended license and a ticket all with the first 6 months of having his license. Since then the bill went up by 600. Also I don't take out loans for cars. The car I got was only 11k. Also the extra in taxes for a GT all depend on how much money you put down so it could be the exact same as getting a V6. I would never take a loan out where I would have to pay 400-500 bucks a month. I'd put a good amount of money as a down payment. Mind you a base price GT is the equivalent of a up optioned V6. If you put money down say to bridge the gap of the difference the cost of the loan would also be the same.
i lucked out and found my gt for like 24,900, after the 2k trade in i had, and the gt premium only had 800 miles on it with factory warranty. but thats not really the point of this thread lol
Old 1/22/13, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah lol lets get this thread a little back on track.
Old 1/22/13, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Each Mustang has its own appeal no matter what engine / appearance package it comes with. I try to appreciate each one for what it is.

Iv'e owned 5 different Mustangs over the years. Each with a different engine 4 cyl, 6 cyl & 8 cyls.
1976 302
1979 4-banger
1983 6-cyl
1988 302 fuelie
2013 5.8 supercharged.

I've enjoyed all of them. I'd gladly own another 4-cyl NA Mustang if it was released.

The only Mustang regret I have is walking away from the 4-cyl fox coupe over the $200 the dealer was trying to rip me off.

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 1/22/13 at 11:53 AM.
Old 1/22/13, 11:55 AM
Cobra R Member

I usually judge a car on how it looks. If your sixxer looks awesome, than good on you I'll give you a thumbs up any day. If your v8 looks like a riced out wanna be ( usually gaudy body kit or huge spoiler) im just gonna shake my head and not give you the time of day.

Than again I give the all ricers the stare down regardless lol
Old 1/22/13, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I usually judge a car on how it looks. If your sixxer looks awesome, than good on you I'll give you a thumbs up any day. If your v8 looks like a riced out wanna be ( usually gaudy body kit or huge spoiler) im just gonna shake my head and not give you the time of day.

Than again I give the all ricers the stare down regardless lol
I think we all agree if you rice out a mustang your car should be burned to the ground.
Old 1/22/13, 12:52 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think people that like mustangs in general don't mind the V6. I those that like high output sports cars will not understand the lack of a V8. The new thing that V6 owners say is "its got 305hp". People need to keep in mind that the bar has been raised hp wise.
Old 1/22/13, 01:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I think people that like mustangs in general don't mind the V6. I those that like high output sports cars will not understand the lack of a V8. The new thing that V6 owners say is "its got 305hp". People need to keep in mind that the bar has been raised hp wise.
It really has been, the v6 as of late is an impressive piece of work especially with the gas mileage and HP they are getting out of it. I have much respect for it.

Quick Reply: Do V8 owners look down on V6 mustangs?