Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

The Geek Out

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/14, 07:58 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the network connection in my motherboard is failing. Sometimes it stays connected like right now, other times it's on and off every few seconds. The media center computer connects fine so I know it's not the router or modem. When it goes out I also lose the shared drives. I just did a wipe and re-install of Windows so it's not a software issue. Guess it's time to buy an add in card instead.
Old 5/10/14, 07:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
I don't mind the tiles on my computer, but can see how they would make more sense on a phone or tablet.
Because the tile system is designed for touchscreen, half of the desktops with windows 8 won't even have a touchscreen and the ones that do it's still awkward to reach when you have a keyboard and mouse. Makes more sense on the phone to me.
Old 5/10/14, 07:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the network connection in my motherboard is failing. Sometimes it stays connected like right now, other times it's on and off every few seconds. The media center computer connects fine so I know it's not the router or modem. When it goes out I also lose the shared drives. Guess it's time to buy an add in card instead.
Could be the Ethernet cable itself, mine can get a little iffy.
Old 5/10/14, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by steven46746
Could be the Ethernet cable itself, mine can get a little iffy.
I was thinking about that but how does a stationary cable go bad? I could see if it was wiggling around all the time, but it just sits there as still as can be.

I was gonna try swapping it but didn't feel like playing contortionist to do so. I guess I should take a shot at it. A new cable would be cheaper if that's the problem.

Now the connection has been on steady for the past 15 minutes. Weird.
Old 5/11/14, 06:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I was thinking about that but how does a stationary cable go bad? I could see if it was wiggling around all the time, but it just sits there as still as can be.

I was gonna try swapping it but didn't feel like playing contortionist to do so. I guess I should take a shot at it. A new cable would be cheaper if that's the problem.

I doubt it's the cable, but it's worth checking. Time to upgrade?

I talked the gf into letting me have an S5 (couldn't swing a gear 2 neo...yet), and it's pretty awesome. I'm pleased with it. Only complaint so far is some strange distortion on the front camera...
Old 5/11/14, 06:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I doubt it's the cable, but it's worth checking. Time to upgrade? I talked the gf into letting me have an S5 (couldn't swing a gear 2 neo...yet), and it's pretty awesome. I'm pleased with it. Only complaint so far is some strange distortion on the front camera...
Protective film?
Old 5/11/14, 06:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by shurtual86
Protective film?
Nope, that was my first thought too. It's only toward the top and bottom of the screen. Depending on how I tilt the phone, I'll have a small head and a huge chin, or the opposite...
Old 5/11/14, 08:30 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I dont know how they do it either, but they do. Ive seen cables go bad at the weirdest times and places, adn will literally make you beat your brains out trying to resolve a problem. Its why we ended up buying a high end tester by fluke. it helps us test cables and even will tell you how far down the line the problem is.
Old 5/11/14, 08:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Scothew
I dont know how they do it either, but they do. Ive seen cables go bad at the weirdest times and places, adn will literally make you beat your brains out trying to resolve a problem. Its why we ended up buying a high end tester by fluke. it helps us test cables and even will tell you how far down the line the problem is.
did you purchase your own or does your company provide you one ? I have thought about purchasing my own tester ( company provides a used one )
Old 5/11/14, 09:04 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by shurtual86
did you purchase your own or does your company provide you one ? I have thought about purchasing my own tester ( company provides a used one )
i have one of my own that's a paladin and all it does is test for pairs being correct or swapped over. The fluke is the companies. I wasn't paying for it lol. $$$$
Old 5/11/14, 09:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Scothew
i have one of my own that's a paladin and all it does is test for pairs being correct or swapped over. The fluke is the companies. I wasn't paying for it lol. $$$$
yeah those Flukes are pricey

Last edited by shurtual86; 5/12/14 at 04:48 AM.
Old 5/16/14, 06:39 PM

I figured out my connection problem must be my router since it just went lights out on me. I guess i'll be out getting a new one tomorrow!
Old 5/16/14, 08:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Thinking about parting out my PC. I want to get the KB 2.8 IC, and I need to be able to pay for it before I buy it, and I just don't game anymore enough to justify having a gaming rig. If anyone's interested in it or in parts, send me a PM (I'd rather keep it off the board).

Watchdogs has my attention, though.
Old 6/11/14, 09:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I thought I'd write a quick sorta-review. I've got a Seagate 3TB Backup Plus drive that died on me yesterday. I've only had it for just under 2 years, and it just stopped turning on and can't be detected.

Now, I do leave it running 24/7 since it's my main storage on my home server, but I wouldn't say it was over-stressed at all. This is the first drive I've ever had actually die on me, so perhaps my luck just finally ran out.

While I'm not impressed with how long it lasted (or didn't last), I did submit a warranty claim on it tonight and was surprised how convenient it is. For $10, they're 2-day shipping me a replacement drive with a pre-paid label to ship my damaged drive back after. Seems pretty fair to me.
Old 6/11/14, 09:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I thought I'd write a quick sorta-review. I've got a Seagate 3TB Backup Plus drive that died on me yesterday. I've only had it for just under 2 years, and it just stopped turning on and can't be detected. Now, I do leave it running 24/7 since it's my main storage on my home server, but I wouldn't say it was over-stressed at all. This is the first drive I've ever had actually die on me, so perhaps my luck just finally ran out. While I'm not impressed with how long it lasted (or didn't last), I did submit a warranty claim on it tonight and was surprised how convenient it is. For $10, they're 2-day shipping me a replacement drive with a pre-paid label to ship my damaged drive back after. Seems pretty fair to me.
Not bad...

In my experiences, Seagates have been crap. Always fail early. After having my MacBook Air though, I'll never own another hard drive as long as I live. Flash storage ftmfw, even if it's 3x as pricey...
Old 6/11/14, 10:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Not bad...

In my experiences, Seagates have been crap. Always fail early. After having my MacBook Air though, I'll never own another hard drive as long as I live. Flash storage ftmfw, even if it's 3x as pricey...
SSD's? They're the only drives I have on my PC.
Old 6/11/14, 10:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
SSD's? They're the only drives I have on my PC.
Yessir. My two backup drives are both old school and it makes me cringe. I need to upgrade to SSDs asap
Old 6/12/14, 01:59 AM

I thought I'd write a quick sorta-review. I've got a Seagate 3TB Backup Plus drive that died on me yesterday. I've only had it for just under 2 years, and it just stopped turning on and can't be detected.

Now, I do leave it running 24/7 since it's my main storage on my home server, but I wouldn't say it was over-stressed at all. This is the first drive I've ever had actually die on me, so perhaps my luck just finally ran out.

While I'm not impressed with how long it lasted (or didn't last), I did submit a warranty claim on it tonight and was surprised how convenient it is. For $10, they're 2-day shipping me a replacement drive with a pre-paid label to ship my damaged drive back after. Seems pretty fair to me.
I have a WD drive acting up here and have moved everything off of it. Still under warranty. WD does the same thing. I go online, file a claim and give them the credit card and they put a credit hold on a new drive in case you don't send the old one back. Been a while since i've done it, but there was never a charge. They paid the postage to me with the replacement, but I paid the postage sending the old drive back.

The replacements are refurbs. I've never had a refurb fail. I got lucky once where a Raptor drive failed and they didn't have one of the same so I got upgraded to a larger capacity Raptor for free!

On another note, I just ordered a raid box last night and one WD Red drive for it last night. Still need to get three more drives. I never back up and need space, so i'm going the raid route and hopefully it all works out for me.
Old 6/12/14, 06:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Absolutely, SSD's all the way...But for the price, I won't be using them for backups and massive storage for another while.

I have a WD drive acting up here and have moved everything off of it. Still under warranty. WD does the same thing. I go online, file a claim and give them the credit card and they put a credit hold on a new drive in case you don't send the old one back. Been a while since i've done it, but there was never a charge. They paid the postage to me with the replacement, but I paid the postage sending the old drive back.
I had the option to do that also. There were three choices:
1.) I could ship them my dead drive (at my expense), then they would ship me the replacement for free. Estimated time to receive my replacement was 14 business days from when I ship the dead one.

2.) They would ship me a replacement via regular ground shipping (I'm guessing 5-7 day UPS) for free, but I would have to pay my own shipping on the dead drive.

3.) They would 2-day ship me a replacement for $9.99 along with a prepaid label to ship the dead one back.

So for $9.99 I got my shipping paid for and their shipping upgraded.

The replacements are refurbs. I've never had a refurb fail. I got lucky once where a Raptor drive failed and they didn't have one of the same so I got upgraded to a larger capacity Raptor for free!
If they send me an extra TB for free, I wouldn't complain. There was a section to pay for an upgrade, but it said no upgrade options available.

On another note, I just ordered a raid box last night and one WD Red drive for it last night. Still need to get three more drives. I never back up and need space, so i'm going the raid route and hopefully it all works out for me.
Which box did you get, and what raid are you going to implement? You never back up on purpose?
Old 6/12/14, 07:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah everyone hates refurbs but generally they're better than a "new" product because they go through more stringent testing...

Quick Reply: The Geek Out