Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

The Geek Out

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/15, 07:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
Agreed! I used Windows computers at home from 1995-2009. I went to a Mac in 2009 just to see if I would like it and I don't plan on switching back. However, I do have MS Office installed on the Mac and it works great.
Same here, I've had macs since 2008. My only problem was my 2011 macbook pro video card crapped out (apple replaced it with a new 2014 retina ) 95% of the programs I use (photoshop, illustrator, indesign) are on the mac, theres only one that requires windows.
Old 2/23/15, 11:29 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10 Signs You’re an Old Geek

By Steve Tobak
ValleyBeat
Published February 20, 2015

You reveled in the epic Steve Jobs – Bill Gates interview from the 2007 D5 conference. Not only did you watch every breathtaking second but you laughed at every inside joke, including the reference to the 128K Macintosh and the one about Apple’s hapless former CEO Gil Amelio saying, “Apple is like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction.”

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technolog...tcmp=obnetwork
Old 2/25/15, 09:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I updated my build today. Here's something for you Mac guys to rip apart:
Attached Images  
Old 2/25/15, 10:03 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I still can get over the windows tiles. Even the new Mac logos. All the flat graphics look so dumb and childish.
Old 2/25/15, 11:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
I still can get over the windows tiles. Even the new Mac logos. All the flat graphics look so dumb and childish.
Yeah, I think it's stupid. Everything went HD/3D, now it's going back to plain, flat, bright, solid colors.
Old 2/25/15, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36

Yeah, I think it's stupid. Everything went HD/3D, now it's going back to plain, flat, bright, solid colors.
My sister is in graphic design and it drives her crazy too. Lol
Old 2/25/15, 04:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't mind the tiles anymore, as long as the screen is touch.
Old 2/27/15, 06:06 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Even without touch, the tiles shouldn't be an issue for anyone. Just put what you use there and click on it. It kinda make things easier to have access to what you use right there and not have to scroll through the old start menu.

If you don't like tiles, then just switch to desktop mode. Simple.

People don't like change or are just not interested in learning how to use something.

And this is why I don't like people. Well, most people. I love the people here though. except for one.
Old 6/25/15, 04:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The Geek Out

I finally got a Surface Pro Been rushing through work today so I can get home to play around with it.
Old 6/25/15, 04:37 PM

I wouldn't mind one!!
Old 6/25/15, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by shurtual86
I finally got a Surface Pro Been rushing through work today so I can get home to play around with it.
I know the feeling. I bought a new lens for my camera and had it sitting next to me all day taunting me. lol
Old 6/25/15, 06:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The Geek Out

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
I know the feeling. I bought a new lens for my camera and had it sitting next to me all day taunting me. lol
Yeah, I had my roommate keep an eye out for it all day
Originally Posted by denlem
I wouldn't mind one!!
I have been wanting to buy one for a while now, almost bought one last year but when I went to the Mircosoft store, they were out of the model that I wanted. Then the next time the Pro 3 was going to come out next month so I figured I might as well wait.
Old 8/1/15, 12:43 PM

Windows 10 Pro is now installed on the PC. So far I like it. Still gotta figure it all out. I like that you can turn on a tablet mode and that gives you more of an 8.1 look.

The laptop is on 7 and will get upgraded to 10 if it is <cough> allowed to upgrade.

The media center pc will remain at 8.1 since the powers that be decided to remove the media center option and it is gone for good. The HTPC community isn't happy. Hopefully Microsoft will hear their requests and bring it back. Many are willing to pay for it too. It was basic, not very pretty, but it worked and it worked well. There is no other replacement out there.

Last edited by denlem; 8/1/15 at 12:44 PM.
Old 8/1/15, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The media center pc will remain at 8.1 since the powers that be decided to remove the media center option and it is gone for good. The HTPC community isn't happy. Hopefully Microsoft will hear their requests and bring it back. Many are willing to pay for it too. It was basic, not very pretty, but it worked and it worked well. There is no other replacement out there.

What's wrong with Kodi?

http://kodi.tv/

Not only is it a fully functional Media Center software suite, but it's open source and cross platform, meaning you can stream content from your Windows based MediaPC to Android or Mac, or visa versa.

Last edited by Moustang; 8/1/15 at 07:13 PM.
Old 8/1/15, 08:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I switched from Windows to Mac in 2009 with a 15" MacBook Pro. I still have it, but just bought a 15" Retina MacBook Pro last month. This new one is amazingly fast. I have MS Office for Mac on here because I still think Office is a good product, but prefer the Mac OS any day of the week.
Old 8/2/15, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Moustang
What's wrong with Kodi?

http://kodi.tv/

Not only is it a fully functional Media Center software suite, but it's open source and cross platform, meaning you can stream content from your Windows based MediaPC to Android or Mac, or visa versa.

I use Kodi for my movie collection. That's what I find it does best. The PVR option in it... well... I just haven't figured it out or had luck getting it to work. I just tried Media Portal http://www.team-mediaportal.com/ which looks great as well and no luck with the PVR option.

Reading up more on these options, i'm seeing they don't have cable card support so that could be most of my problem. I have a Ceton tuner http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-pcie/ which uses a cable card and as far as I can tell, Windows is (was) all that supported it.

Keeping the HTPC at 8.1 isn't a deal breaker for me since i'm one who has no issues using 8.1 and like it. But I do like to stay up to date and hopefully i'll find a solution before the free upgrade expires!
Old 8/24/15, 08:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The Geek Out

Originally Posted by SpectreH
I switched from Windows to Mac in 2009 with a 15" MacBook Pro. I still have it, but just bought a 15" Retina MacBook Pro last month. This new one is amazingly fast. I have MS Office for Mac on here because I still think Office is a good product, but prefer the Mac OS any day of the week.
Office 2016?

Windows 10 Pro is now installed on the PC. So far I like it. Still gotta figure it all out. I like that you can turn on a tablet mode and that gives you more of an 8.1 look.
I've upgraded one of my machines so far, and it's ok. I like 8.1 better, but I'll get used to 10 before long. Still working through some bugs though...

Keeping the HTPC at 8.1 isn't a deal breaker for me since i'm one who has no issues using 8.1 and like it. But I do like to stay up to date and hopefully i'll find a solution before the free upgrade expires!
Here's your solution: (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vr-re-imagined)

Originally Posted by Moustang
What's wrong with Kodi?
The problem with Kodi is that it doesn't support copy protected content. Otherwise it's great. But lack of copy protected content is a deal breaker.

Originally Posted by shurtual86
Yeah, I had my roommate keep an eye out for it all dayI have been wanting to buy one for a while now, almost bought one last year but when I went to the Mircosoft store, they were out of the model that I wanted. Then the next time the Pro 3 was going to come out next month so I figured I might as well wait.
I played around with a Surface 3 the other day. It felt nice and solid, and I was surprised how light it was. But I was disappointed to see that it had an Atom and 2GB of RAM. When dealing with troublesome computers at work, my heart drops when I see "Atom". And the tablet appeared to be bent...like iPhone 6 Plus bent.
Old 8/24/15, 09:04 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Office 2016?
Office 2011 right now. We have a program at work that lets us buy Office for $10. Office 2016 isn't on the approved list yet. I'll get it once it is approved.
Old 8/28/15, 03:49 PM

Office 2016?

I've upgraded one of my machines so far, and it's ok. I like 8.1 better, but I'll get used to 10 before long. Still working through some bugs though...

Here's your solution: (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vr-re-imagined)

The problem with Kodi is that it doesn't support copy protected content. Otherwise it's great. But lack of copy protected content is a deal breaker.
I've never really checked into the HDhomerun box. It takes a cable card but only has 3 tuners. I see it says it compatible with Kodi so I wonder if thats just for watching or watching and recording? I gotta dig deeper.

My InfiniTV is 6 tuners and they have no compatibility with Kodi. I wish they would. Maybe that will change since with no media center in 10, that hurts their business.

Looks like i'll be doing research and watching what happens and make a move before the free upgrade to 10 expires in a year!
Old 8/29/15, 07:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The Geek Out

I've never really checked into the HDhomerun box. It takes a cable card but only has 3 tuners. I see it says it compatible with Kodi so I wonder if thats just for watching or watching and recording? I gotta dig deeper.

My InfiniTV is 6 tuners and they have no compatibility with Kodi. I wish they would. Maybe that will change since with no media center in 10, that hurts their business.

Looks like i'll be doing research and watching what happens and make a move before the free upgrade to 10 expires in a year!
I'm letting them work out some of the bugs before I buy the hdhr dvr software. I already have an hdhr prime...it's pretty solid. I've never had any problems with it. Like you said, it only has 3 tuners. But you can stack as many as you'd like.

Quick Reply: The Geek Out