Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

The Geek Out

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/14, 05:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I need to switch hosting providers. The one I have right now is about the better ones i've had, but lately I keep seeing my account bouncing around to different servers. I spent a few days down, and now i'm up again but I can't log in to cpanel. They only response I get about my complaints is "we will update you soon".

I only need el-cheapo shared hosting, but some of them out there are better than others.

Any suggestions?
Old 7/1/14, 06:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I never got R2 working, but non-R2 is up and running.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140701_195537.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  8.5 KB

Originally Posted by denlem
I need to switch hosting providers. The one I have right now is about the better ones i've had, but lately I keep seeing my account bouncing around to different servers. I spent a few days down, and now i'm up again but I can't log in to cpanel. They only response I get about my complaints is "we will update you soon".

I only need el-cheapo shared hosting, but some of them out there are better than others.

Any suggestions?
Who are you using now? I don't really have a suggestion, since it seems like all I hear are horror stories about all of them.
Old 7/1/14, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I never got R2 working, but non-R2 is up and running.

Attachment 161308

Who are you using now? I don't really have a suggestion, since it seems like all I hear are horror stories about all of them.
I'm using Gigapros right now. http://www.gigapros.com/

I really don't even need to use any hosting, but it comes in handy sometimes.

I like how they all claim to be the best, show all these bogus awards.

I was with one host one time that would send you emails suspending your service because it was using too much processor time. When I questioned them on what was using all the power, they couldn't tell me. Of course they couldn't tell me since I only went as far as creating the account and never installed or ran anything there! Checking around it was said they pulled this on everyone to get them to upgrade to a more expensive account.
Old 7/2/14, 02:05 PM

Still no response from the hosting provider. My email works, but can't log in to the account anymore nor access the home page.

Since they promised me an update, I think it's time to give them hell and update them with a cancellation and refund request.

Doing some research, a lot of the hosts are run under a company called EIG. Reading the nightmare stories, they buy up smaller companies. These companies still run under the same name, but are migrated over to EIG servers and that's where the troubles begin. Not a good company to be under.

It's hard to search by reviews too since the reviews are just paid ads.

It seems like one called Dreamhost may be pretty decent so I think I will switch there.
Old 7/3/14, 09:14 AM

It's funny how you request a cancellation of service and how quickly they get back to you showing how things are suddenly working and avoid the part about cancelling!
Old 7/9/14, 02:58 PM

I finally got around to sending in my failing 1.5TB drive for repair. They send me back a 2.0TB.

Now to decide if I want to use it or put it up on eBay.
Old 7/9/14, 05:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If you're currently using more than half of your free space, I'd say keep it and use it. Otherwise I'd sell it before prices go down anymore.
Old 7/9/14, 05:45 PM

I want to keep it, but I also want bigger drives since I want to downsize my cases. I might get $70 for it on ebay, but then the fees and shipping costs. It'll probably end up staying.
Old 7/9/14, 08:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Bigger drives was exactly what I was thinking. Sell it now to get as much as you can (probably only what a 1TB would be worth), and use that money toward a 4TB+ drive when the need arises and prices have dropped even more.

But I understand the hassle of shipping...I've got plenty of tech stuff that I don't use, but I don't care enough to package and ship it.
Old 7/10/14, 01:55 AM

Shipping isn't the problem, I sell on ebay and send stuff out all the time. The drives listed there are free shipping, so that will come out of the selling price. The drive probably has more useful value here than cash value.
Old 7/10/14, 08:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard drive on my laptop is going out, or maybe a loose connection, idk I'll have to trouble shoot when I get home :/
Old 9/23/14, 01:57 AM

New phone time!

LG G3? Galaxy S5? HTC One (M8)?

Actually, I already got one of them. I went in planning to get one of them, but walked out with another one of the ones listed.

I'm mixed on the one I have so far nut will give it some time before I bail on it. Any thoughts on any of them?
Old 9/23/14, 06:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would consider getting the S5, a coworker has one and it's pretty nice. I just don't have a need for an Android, or a new phone for that matter.
Old 9/23/14, 07:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm still completely happy with my S5. The M8 seems good from what my co-workers tell me. And the G3 looks nice. I think all three are good choices.

So which one did you get?
Old 9/23/14, 08:41 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
New phone time!

LG G3? Galaxy S5? HTC One (M8)?

Actually, I already got one of them. I went in planning to get one of them, but walked out with another one of the ones listed.

I'm mixed on the one I have so far nut will give it some time before I bail on it. Any thoughts on any of them?
There's really nothing out right now that excites me. My Maxx does everything I want it to when it's not going buggy. My old one was PERFECT until the mic went out. Stupid refurbished one has been nothing but screwed up.
Old 9/23/14, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I'm still completely happy with my S5. The M8 seems good from what my co-workers tell me. And the G3 looks nice. I think all three are good choices.

So which one did you get?
I wanted the new Moto X, but with a small battery and no SD card option I just couldn't do it. I was then leaning towards the M8 but two AT&T stores kinda put it down and that I didn't want it. The S5 is only 16 gig which isn't too bad, but wanted at least 32 gig. Then the sales guy pushed me towards the G3. I really didn't want another 5.5 inch phone, and i'm not a big fan of LG phones. Long story short and keeping the sales guy away from other customers for over an hour I came home with the G3. I'm okay with everything about it so far except the screen. It's QHD and something like 524 ppi, but it doesn't "pop". It looks great, just the colors are kinda washed out. I'm gonna play with it and see how I like it. I've got 14 days to swap if I get annoyed.

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
There's really nothing out right now that excites me. My Maxx does everything I want it to when it's not going buggy. My old one was PERFECT until the mic went out. Stupid refurbished one has been nothing but screwed up.
That Quark phone spotted in the blogs may be a new Droid, so that may be a good upgrade for you if you're looking. I know I won't be happy if it is good and AT&T gets a version of it!
Old 9/23/14, 03:56 PM

I wanted the new Moto X, but with a small battery and no SD card option I just couldn't do it. I was then leaning towards the M8 but two AT&T stores kinda put it down and that I didn't want it. The S5 is only 16 gig which isn't too bad, but wanted at least 32 gig. Then the sales guy pushed me towards the G3. I really didn't want another 5.5 inch phone, and i'm not a big fan of LG phones. Long story short and keeping the sales guy away from other customers for over an hour I came home with the G3. I'm okay with everything about it so far except the screen. It's QHD and something like 524 ppi, but it doesn't "pop". It looks great, just the colors are kinda washed out. I'm gonna play with it and see how I like it. I've got 14 days to swap if I get annoyed.

That Quark phone spotted in the blogs may be a new Droid, so that may be a good upgrade for you if you're looking. I know I won't be happy if it is good and AT&T gets a version of it!
I'm not due for another year. Though I guess it really doesn't matter too much. Just hope there's something I want when the time comes. They went from having a new phone every few months to over a year.

Last edited by Blue Notch; 9/23/14 at 08:42 PM.
Old 9/23/14, 04:56 PM

Way too many phones get released. Samsung is the biggest offender.
Old 9/23/14, 08:43 PM

Way too many phones get released. Samsung is the biggest offender.
I actually prefer it that way. Keeps things interesting. Some people get annoyed though.

(I see it coming)
Old 10/1/14, 02:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Windows 10 Preview is available. I like what I'm seeing so far. It's Windows 8 with improvements for those that felt alienated by some parts of Windows 8.

We never migrated any of our enterprise users to 8, but I could see us moving to 10. I think it'll be a lot more...acceptable...to them.

Quick Reply: The Geek Out