General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

So what did you think of Top Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/10, 06:43 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just saw an ad for the new episode, and noticed that the original Top Gear has done it already. Hopefully it will be decent compared to the original. It was the British Leyland Challenge if I remember right.
Old 12/19/10, 09:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought that was a great episode but coulda been better. i LOL'd when tanner launched the fiero with the drinks and they all spilled. the ending moment with the roadmaster sitting in front of GM headquarters i thought was great as well. also something else interesting...earlier today or sometime yesterday i saw Top Gear was on and i looked at the channel and it said BBC....hmm. too bad i couldnt watch it.
Old 12/20/10, 12:06 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I really enjoyed this episode. Legitimately fun and funny. It's still not anywhere near the level of Clarkson's TG, but it was good enough on its own merits to look forward to next week.
Old 12/20/10, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Again, i like rutledge even more now after this episode.

It was pretty funny. I agree about the ending in front of GM headquarters that was pretty cool!

....still dont like tanner and adam
Old 12/20/10, 10:32 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Again, i like rutledge even more now after this episode.

It was pretty funny. I agree about the ending in front of GM headquarters that was pretty cool!

....still dont like tanner and adam
Agreed.

I'm curious if the ratings have been high enough to warrant another season
Old 12/20/10, 10:44 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
god I seriously hate that fat hill billy asshat rutledge.
Just toss a real car guy in his place and it would be better.
I'm ok with tanner and the other dude.
Old 12/20/10, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

^ i agree, hes pretty **** annoying. The other two are ok but I really think if they were hoping for a hit then they need better hosts. these guys personalities suck
Old 12/20/10, 12:16 PM
MOTM Committee Member

rutledge is my favorite of the 3, but lets be honest none of these guys is anything special when it comes to hosting a car show.
Old 12/20/10, 12:24 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by 20115.0
^ i agree, hes pretty **** annoying. The other two are ok but I really think if they were hoping for a hit then they need better hosts. these guys personalities suck
agreed!
Old 12/20/10, 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think I finally figured it out!

The producers realized they wont be able to compare to the original. So with the saying "bad publicity is good publicity" they figured they would put together a team of the worst guys for the show and everyone would be talking about Top Gear. Even if they are talking crap the show is still getting attention.

Im sure they know by now that there are a lot of people who feel the hosts suck so why havent they fixed the problem yet?
Old 12/20/10, 01:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
saw one for the first time last night.... i thought the skinny young guy wasn't bad... the other guys seemed a little out of place. Sorry for my descriptions.. I stumbled upon it minutes before falling asleep and I didn't have my glasses on.

Last edited by codeman94; 12/20/10 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12/20/10, 03:24 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I dunno why so many people keep saying "they need a real car guy".
Tanner is better driver than any of Top Gear UK hosts and speaking of car guys ... James May is anything but a car guy.
Old 12/20/10, 03:50 PM
MOTM Committee Member

For me its more a problem of finding someone who is a good TV host AND has enthusiasm for cars. I don't care how good of a driver the hosts are, that's what Stig is for. In fact, the others should be average like you and me, the mistakes make it funny.

Last edited by stangfoeva; 12/20/10 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12/20/10, 04:05 PM
Cobra Member

i feel rutledge is the most genuine of all of the three. Thats why i like him to the most of them.
Old 12/20/10, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
For me its more a problem of finding someone who is a good TV host AND has enthusiasm for cars. I don't care how good of a driver the hosts are, that's what Stig is for. In fact, the others should be average like you and me, the mistakes make it funny.
so true!!!!
Old 12/20/10, 05:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by burningman
agreed!
Your hatred for Rutlidge is not only ridiculous but humorous at this point!

Originally Posted by Red Star
I dunno why so many people keep saying "they need a real car guy".
Tanner is better driver than any of Top Gear UK hosts and speaking of car guys ... James May is anything but a car guy.
I like that Tanner is part of the show even if I do think he can be an ***, he's a genuine car guy. I think the other two just show barely any knowledge of cars. Rutlidge kinda knows and, I can't think of the other guy, just doesn't seem to know anything which I guess is ok, but it'd be nice to see someone with a bit more interest.

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
The problem I see here is that the other guys are very half assed car guys. Rutlidge I saw some light with the Turbo T-Bird, but they don't even seem to be enthusiasts, just bystanders that can read the car name.

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
i feel rutledge is the most genuine of all of the three. Thats why i like him to the most of them.
After the Boss and Turbo T-Bird segments, I really turned around with Rutlidge. I thought he was at least interested in the car and genuinely cared. It made it that much more appealing to me. I used to be against the guy but now I like having him on. I need his retarded stupidity. I think Tanner will turn around some day.
Old 12/20/10, 10:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would like to see more real drivers as guests and driving some of the cars, like Bill Elliott, Carl Edwards, Dorsey Shrader etc....
Old 12/20/10, 10:27 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by jacostang
I would like to see more real drivers as guests and driving some of the cars, like Bill Elliott, Carl Edwards, Dorsey Shrader etc....
Hell, I'd just like to see them actually test some new cars instead of 80% of the episode being those 3 dip****s destroying $800 turd boxes.
Old 12/20/10, 10:56 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by Automagically
Your hatred for Rutlidge is not only ridiculous but humorous at this point!
It is what it is.
Ditch the guy and get Tommy Kendall in and it would be about 400% better.

Last edited by burningman; 12/20/10 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12/21/10, 10:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay so I watched the previous two episodes finally. I was very impressed.

First, the Raptor. I don't care what else happened in that episode because it was pointless. But the Raptor segment was killer. Not even Tanner could deny the awesomeness of the Raptor and drove it like a bat out of hell. Good god that truck sounded awesome too.

Second, the car that GM needs to build, while stupid were the challenges, the overall show was quite hilarious. The cars were perfect. The music was great every time the Fiero was on. I have a soft spot for the Fiero and wish they would re build one the way Tanner described with an LS7. But not on the awful chassis it had. Either way, the car I knew would win, the Buick Roadmaster! Like the thread about power wagons, I think it's time to bring 'em back! Not SUVs or CUVs or SAVs, a wagon. Even a small one like an RS4 Avant.

I have much higher hopes now.

Quick Reply: So what did you think of Top Gear?