General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

So what did you think of Top Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/10, 04:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watched the new episode.
Whoever picked the three presenters needs to be hanged. This time the quality of the camerawork and the music were close to perfect but these three are just not cut out for this! They just lack character and any sense of humor. They all fail at making a point about a certain car. Adam i am looking at you. Rutledge just seems way out of the automotive world and Tanner is just plain mediocre. I think Matt Farrah would have been a good choice for a producer. If these guys keep it up like this they arent really gonna last for a long time as a show.
Old 12/14/10, 05:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mustangmaniak2010
Whoever picked the three presenters needs to be hanged...........If these guys keep it up like this they arent really gonna last for a long time as a show.
Actually Clarkson was pretty awful himself in the early days of the original British Top Gear. Look up some of the early episodes on Youtube or elsewhere, and I think you might agree he's come a long way. I watched part of season 1 episode 1 of the original and it was worse than the American Top Gear so far IMHO.
Old 12/14/10, 05:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
its the best show on in that time slot. Some of the segments go on a little to long imo but I like the show
Old 12/14/10, 06:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Watched most of the rest of the show this morning. Loved the Kid Rock interview, especially his answer to Rutledge's question as to whether he drove a Prius. The Kid's stock moved up several notches with that one! And he hauled the cheap car around the course quite well. (Why is this car not a Fiesta?-I know it is made in Mexico, but it is American just the same.)
Downside, having to hear Tanner snap off snotty comments about the Raptor as the Stig thrashed it on the road course. (In a **** good time, I might add.)He (Tanner) plain sucks.

Last edited by Tiberius1701; 12/14/10 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12/14/10, 06:33 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Ministang
Actually Clarkson was pretty awful himself in the early days of the original British Top Gear. Look up some of the early episodes on Youtube or elsewhere, and I think you might agree he's come a long way. I watched part of season 1 episode 1 of the original and it was worse than the American Top Gear so far IMHO.
Old 12/14/10, 09:17 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah original TOp Gear was almost motorweek like.
In clarksons defense he was te most entertaining on the show even with his early failings
Old 12/14/10, 11:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoever picked the three presenters needs to be hanged. This time the quality of the camerawork and the music were close to perfect but these three are just not cut out for this! They just lack character and any sense of humor. They all fail at making a point about a certain car. Adam i am looking at you. Rutledge just seems way out of the automotive world and Tanner is just plain mediocre. I think Matt Farrah would have been a good choice for a producer. If these guys keep it up like this they arent really gonna last for a long time as a show.
You might just get your wish.
http://jalopnik.com/5713073/adam-car...n-top-gear-usa
Old 12/14/10, 11:43 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
You know i think the episode was okay.

I agree that tanner needs to stfu.

You know i kinda like rutledge in a weird sort of way but i cant stand adam ferrera
Agreed x1000000

Mole man must go. He's not funny and he knows nothing about cars. He's useless to the show. And Tanner can drive but like someone else said he is starting to sound like an import forum douche bag.

I liked the raptor segment this week, but I think this week's episode showed little growth over the previous one
Old 12/14/10, 01:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
Thanks! I am a jalop myself so i had read it already.
Reaaaaaally hope this happens. Fingers crossed.
Old 12/14/10, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tiberius1701
........he hauled the cheap car around the course quite well. (Why is this car not a Fiesta?-I know it is made in Mexico, but it is American just the same.)
Actually I'm kinda glad the cheap/small car is a foreign nameplate. One of the points of that segment is to have the "stars" and hosts trash the small car and say how awful it is. I'd just as soon not have them trashing on the Focus or Fiesta, although if it was going to be an "American" car, the Chevy Aveo might be appropriate, even though it is a rebadged Daewoo IIRC.
Old 12/14/10, 03:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks! I am a jalop myself so i had read it already.
Reaaaaaally hope this happens. Fingers crossed.
I thought someone would have brought it up already but I figured it was nice to have the link.

I am interested in this. I am wholeheartedly trying to like TG USA. But my patience will run thin soon enough.
Old 12/14/10, 04:34 PM
Cobra Member

It's definitely improving. Hopefully it'll get picked up for next year, and competition from Speed can only improve both of them.

Tanner is the only useful one on the show. He can out drive and out think any one of the others, including the British show. And he can out drive and out think any one of the true forum jockeys you're mocking, or any of yourselves. Just cause he thinks American cars can still improve doesn't mean he needs to STFU.

You should all support the few American drivers we can send abroad that can represent this country's driving and car crazy community in a positive light -- or maybe y'all aren't familiar with the Race of Champions.
http://www.raceofchampions.com/drive...ner-foust.aspx
Old 12/14/10, 04:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
Me too. It comes on Sunday nights at 10 PM EST on History. I have to DVR it, though, because, like you, I'm usually watching Sunday Night Football!
nah, i mean the re-run for the most recent episode.
Old 12/14/10, 05:19 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
It's definitely improving. Hopefully it'll get picked up for next year, and competition from Speed can only improve both of them.

Tanner is the only useful one on the show. He can out drive and out think any one of the others, including the British show. And he can out drive and out think any one of the true forum jockeys you're mocking, or any of yourselves. Just cause he thinks American cars can still improve doesn't mean he needs to STFU.

You should all support the few American drivers we can send abroad that can represent this country's driving and car crazy community in a positive light -- or maybe y'all aren't familiar with the Race of Champions.
I'm sorry but I disagree with this completely (except for the Tanner can drive part). Why should I support an American driver who doesn't support American cars? Case in point the segment where Rutledge was highlighting the BOSS.

Its one thing for him to have an opinion, and its another for him to just insult a car because its American. Did you watch the episode with the 300zx? He takes shots at American cars every opportunity he gets. Then he worships Nissan at the end. Yeah like they've never made a crappy car.

He's more fit to be Stig than a host

Last edited by stangfoeva; 12/14/10 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12/14/10, 05:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I didn't realize that anyone was trashing Tanner's driving ability. Maybe I missed that. I know the guy is a great driver. The US has many great drivers, in series' that are hardly noticed. Some great drivers for the C6.R Teams. It's just sad that you don't hear about them. Good news is that many of the new extreme sports (Drift, Gymkhana, etc.) including Rally, the US is incredibly good at.

I think the attack was on his attitude. Obviously he's the most intelligent on the show, he has the greatest level of automotive background. He's not stupid but he plays up the whiny roll pretty well. But I'm not in his shoes and I probably shouldn't complain but I have.

Maybe it's all taken a little to harshly. Tanner could be right for pushing the fact that the US cars haven't been up to par. It all just sounds like malice era news that's been played over and over.
Old 12/14/10, 07:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I like Tanner always have in his other shows as well. What was that show super cars exposed I believe. Hey Tanner don't pick on anything I like Yo! lol There's a thread on here, what would you like to see on the next gen stang...I think all those people are doing the same thing Tanner has done..... pointing out what he thinks needs improving or changed.
Old 12/14/10, 07:44 PM
Cobra Member

So the complaint of the show is that it's sponsored by the car manufacturers so no one will criticize the cars, but then they criticize the cars, which happen to be American, and people are upset? Confusing... Nobody is jumping on Adam for dissing the SLS, even though his segment was pitiful, comments idiotic, and his driving ability questionable. If he were German would you be ragging on him for not promoting his own country's cars?
Tanner has driven the cars he likes and uses in his racing, and obviously prefers some of them, but doesn't mean he's anti-American-car in the least.

If they brought in maybe Tommy Kendall, that'd give a bit more weight to the show, I think. And Tanner might very well be their Stig...
Old 12/14/10, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I still say the hosts should be Tommy Kendall, Tim Allen and Michael Walthrop!
Old 12/14/10, 08:50 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I like Tanner always have in his other shows as well. What was that show super cars exposed I believe. Hey Tanner don't pick on anything I like Yo! lol There's a thread on here, what would you like to see on the next gen stang...I think all those people are doing the same thing Tanner has done..... pointing out what he thinks needs improving or changed.
If that was how he was saying it believe me I wouldn't be complaining. I think it makes the show more interesting when they aren't drooling over every single car. But he says it as an insult instead of, "hey they could improve this by..."

First thing out his mouth when talking about the features of the BOSS, "Does it still have a live rear axle?" Give me a freakin break. This thing will murder an M3 for 2/3 cost and thats all he can say? Then he goes on a rant about "98" different versions of the mustang when there are only 4 offered by Ford. Thats what pisses me off. You think he would have said the same thing if a 370Z was that fast?

So the complaint of the show is that it's sponsored by the car manufacturers so no one will criticize the cars, but then they criticize the cars, which happen to be American, and people are upset? Confusing... Nobody is jumping on Adam for dissing the SLS, even though his segment was pitiful, comments idiotic, and his driving ability questionable. If he were German would you be ragging on him for not promoting his own country's cars?
Tanner has driven the cars he likes and uses in his racing, and obviously prefers some of them, but doesn't mean he's anti-American-car in the least.

If they brought in maybe Tommy Kendall, that'd give a bit more weight to the show, I think. And Tanner might very well be their Stig...
Trust me I get on Adam Ferrara too. In fact I think he's the worst of the three.

If Tanner's critisms actually came off more like criticisms instead of like whiny excuses for why he thinks imports are better maybe I'd be more inclined to appreciate. With a guy like that an American car will never be good enough as long as its wearing a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge emblem on it

Originally Posted by tacbear
I still say the hosts should be Tommy Kendall, Tim Allen and Michael Walthrop!
agreed
Old 12/14/10, 10:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I don't think that this has anything to do with just criticism. Tanner blindly rejects a car because of what simple facts he only kind of knows about it. That's all. Anyone of us could do that to a number of cars. Pushrods ring a bell? I've got no problems but the technology is OLD. GM still manages to make it AWESOME though. Everything deserves its due.

Tanner is a critical part of the show and does some absolutely fantastic driving.

Lets take TG UK for example. Clarkson is pretty set in his ways but will at least drive the car and say hey, this car sucks because, but it does have these features, which could include a cup holder big enough for a slurpee for all I care. Doesn't matter, even when his opinion is what it is, he states his point and it's many times an obvious truth about the car even if you love it.

I haven't seen the SLS segment yet so I can't comment. I love the SLS so whatever the gripes are, I'd live with it for such an incredible machine. Sure, I could talk about Mercedes during the Hitler days but I don't. Even if I think a car is a crap box I would at least drive and feel the car before I made my judgements. That's all. The hubub we have going here is getting ridiculous.

On drivers, I think Schumacher is a total ***** but he's one of the best F1 drivers ever. See how this works? He's much less of one now that he's not the Ferrari golden boy. This is all beside the point.

Anyway, that's the only Tanner flaw I see. Other than that he's great to the show. Once he finally loosens up, he'll be great. He doesn't have any co hosts that can rebound his thoughts on certain aspects of automobiles. It's just his history and what he knows. I can't knock that. He's a little dry but that will change with time.

If the guy likes Japanese steel, that's fine but it's only fair to prove why one is superior to the other. This isn't the 80's. The game has changed. Even the Germans are putting up a fair fight to Japanese technology. And vice versa with the US, and so with the Japanese to German in handling, blah blah blah.

Last edited by Automagically; 12/14/10 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: So what did you think of Top Gear?