General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

So what did you think of Top Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/10, 08:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
He has too live up to his British counterpart... Pretty funny chase though!
Old 12/5/10, 09:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that Boss 302 revving was AWESOME. i LOL'd at the Cadillac run through the dirt course. that was great. i'd say its slowly getting better each week.
Old 12/5/10, 09:23 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I absolutely laughed my *** off at the caddy jump! Me and dad were out of breath! This episode was fantastic, can't wait for next week.
Old 12/5/10, 09:48 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jacostang
He has too live up to his British counterpart... Pretty funny chase though!
yeah it was the best episode to date. I like that they included the news too
Old 12/5/10, 10:11 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
they really are confined by the commercial breaks though. That really sucks, because there's so much more to the segments they could do. The interviews are like one story, then the lap. Kinda like the last guest on a late night show.
Old 12/5/10, 10:17 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
they really are confined by the commercial breaks though. That really sucks, because there's so much more to the segments they could do. The interviews are like one story, then the lap. Kinda like the last guest on a late night show.
agreed.
Old 12/5/10, 11:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

LOT better episode than the previous 2. Loved the ripping on Buick, was worried they were going to keep their criticism of car makers low-key.
Old 12/6/10, 08:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought Tanner loved the Viper??

I haven't seen this episode yet so I will see for myself what this is of the America bashing.
Old 12/6/10, 08:23 AM

Saw a little bit of the episode with the revving Boss 302, and other than the revving Boss 302, ummmm, wellll, eerrrrrrr.....yawn.

Maybe I didn't watch enough of it, but what I did watch didn't make me want to watch any more of it. It was certainly lacking the natural, clever chemistry and repartee of the Brit version, none of them had anywhere near the wit of Clarkson.

I'm not writing it off quite yet, the Brit version did take some time to build up a head of steam, so I'll check in on future episodes.
Old 12/8/10, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I hate the ignorance, I hate the fake laughs of the spectators in the studio, i hate the dumb jokes, i hate the presenters` lack of driving skills (excluding Tanner), i hate the music they put in, i hate the way they try to be Top gear by copying the way the act AND did they devide the audience into racial groups??? WTF when they showed a shot of them i saw in one corner only asian people and in the other only black people and in the other white people? Am i the only one who sees that?
Other than that its not that bad of a show.
Old 12/12/10, 10:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mustangmaniak2010
I hate the ignorance, I hate the fake laughs of the spectators in the studio, i hate the dumb jokes, i hate the presenters` lack of driving skills (excluding Tanner), i hate the music they put in, i hate the way they try to be Top gear by copying the way the act AND did they devide the audience into racial groups??? WTF when they showed a shot of them i saw in one corner only asian people and in the other only black people and in the other white people? Am i the only one who sees that?
Other than that its not that bad of a show.
I agree. Plus half their segments are pointless- You can literally see their eyes going back and forth, reading from the autocue... I could have cared less about the NASCAR segment- proved to be a hell of a waste and a mockery of the origins. The drifting was slow and tedious to watch, plus It's a travesty they are using the Stig in vain on some watered down track, the production quality sucks. This is an American show and the 'reasonably priced car is a 'Suzuki'? WTF... I wanted to like the show but I can't.
Old 12/12/10, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

The in studio work has a script, but no auto-cues... There are however at least 6 separate takes with ad-libs and they pick the best one... Audience isn't told to laugh... Only when to applaud. :shrug:

[Spoiler] Not that anyone cares...

Anyone see today's Raptor episode where Tanner gets pulled over by an American Police Officer for "drawing too much attention" towards an American car? So much for support.

Versus BBC Top Gear doing burnouts down the street in Reno to be pulled over and let off w/ a warning... (Assuming burnouts in a highly populated area is worse than a loud truck)...?

I don't know. -_-'
Old 12/13/10, 05:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
who's the stig?
Old 12/13/10, 05:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
who's the stig?
Tom Cruise
Old 12/13/10, 07:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
who's the stig?
Cameron Diaz?
Old 12/13/10, 07:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chutoyy
Anyone see today's Raptor episode where Tanner gets pulled over by an American Police Officer for "drawing too much attention" towards an American car? So much for support.
+1 on that. Just about sick of that fart can loving Foust slamming American Iron-between his snide comments while driving the Raptor (I have never been a truck fan, but I can see owning one of these!) his moronic comments about the Stang and other domestic cars, regradless of how decent of a driver he is, they can stick him in the ejector seat anytime now.
Old 12/13/10, 08:37 AM
Cobra Member

You know i think the episode was okay.

I agree that tanner needs to stfu.

You know i kinda like rutledge in a weird sort of way but i cant stand adam ferrera
Old 12/13/10, 10:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
You know i think the episode was okay.

I agree that tanner needs to stfu.

You know i kinda like rutledge in a weird sort of way but i cant stand adam ferrera
Agreed on all points. Rutlidge is growing on me. Maybe because he gave a sh!# when he had the $1K T-Bird that I thought was genius. Of course we knew that when Tanner won, we were going to hear all about the 300ZX.

I did actually laugh at that episode though. The challenge was pretty retarded and should have included some 30's and 40's model Ford's and Chevy's instead of the $1000 craptastic cars they had.

I will still watch the show and haven't seen the most recent. I'll get to it this week some time. After watching the Mustang segment from TG UK, I have a lot more respect for them now than I did, or do for TG US right now.

Now this may sound weird being written on a forum but I'll say it anyway. Tanner sounds like he is a forum jockey. Someone who gets all of his information from a Toyota Scion forum and claims it's the gospel. See my point though?
Old 12/13/10, 06:32 PM
Cobra Member

when does Top Gear come on again? missed it watching the cowboys vs eagles
Old 12/13/10, 10:31 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Red Jay
when does Top Gear come on again? missed it watching the cowboys vs eagles
Me too. It comes on Sunday nights at 10 PM EST on History. I have to DVR it, though, because, like you, I'm usually watching Sunday Night Football!

Quick Reply: So what did you think of Top Gear?