Midwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/08, 02:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
Probably not !...you may have sensor fouled with all that under coating you have caked on the bottom side of your Stang...

Wouldn't be surprised. I just had it re-done a couple of weeks ago and gave them some up front pointers this time. Told them that the exhaust was 304 SS and won't rust, the wheels and driveshaft are aluminum and they won't rust. And explained the issue I found with the stock wheel being out of balance because of them and their overspray. I told them they weren't painting the underside of a bridge you know. So keep it off all rotating and hot components this time. Probably shot some in my gas tank to show that old bastard you know.

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 4/22/08 at 04:32 PM.
Old 4/22/08, 03:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Well it wouldn't be unlike you to have a problem with gas.......

hahahaaaa
Old 4/22/08, 04:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Wouldn't be surprised. I just had it re-done a couple of weeks ago and gave them some up front pointers this time. Told them that the exhaust was 304 SS and won't rust, the wheels and driveshaft are aluminum and they won't rust. And explained the issue I found with the stock wheel being out of balance because of them and their overspray. I told them they weren't painting the underside of a bridge you know. So keep it off all rotating and hot components this time. Probably shot some in my gas tank to show that bastard you know.
Scott I know what you mean. When my wife got her 04 Lincoln LS we had it undercoated I couldn't believe what a sloppy job they did...had the crap all the way up into the engine compartment, I snapped ! it still pisses me off to think about it.

Originally Posted by tom281
Well it wouldn't be unlike you to have a problem with gas.......
hahahaaaa
I smell that....
Old 4/22/08, 06:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Scott I know what you mean. When my wife got her 04 Lincoln LS we had it undercoated I couldn't believe what a sloppy job they did...had the crap all the way up into the engine compartment, I snapped ! it still pisses me off to think about it.

I smell that....

Hey Scotty... I still have your address from that little present you sent me a few weeks back. Maybe I will just send you something personal to get a big whiff from.
Old 4/22/08, 06:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Well I got home and put the tuner on the car to read the DTC codes and to my surprise it has nothing to do with the O2 sensors and longtubes as I suspected. The code was P0456 (EVAP LEAK MONITOR) small leak detected. I did a little searching on the code and the first thing they say to check is the gas cap. Mine looks in good shape and was tight. I looked up the hood for a vaccum line cut, melted, etc. Nothing. So I cleared the code and we will see if it comes back. Any other ideas other than the gas cap on what can cause this code to so up?
Scott

P.S. STD your avatar change at the moment is much better. :-) But if I know you it won't last until morning.
What you need to do is start blowing bong hits into the gas tank and looking for any smoke that may be escaping
Old 4/22/08, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Scotty... I still have your address from that little present you sent me a few weeks back. Maybe I will just send you something personal to get a big whiff from.
Uh, TMI !!!!

Originally Posted by Stoenr
What you need to do is start blowing bong hits into the gas tank and looking for any smoke that may be escaping
Old 4/22/08, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

John....You are something else.. Got any hits???
Old 4/22/08, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

John....You are something else.. Got any hits???

Lookout, OLD INDIAN DUDE is looking to pass the peace pipe.......
Old 4/22/08, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Lookout, OLD INDIAN DUDE is looking to pass the peace pipe.......

I couldn't get my old crusty knees crossed anymore for that ......
Old 4/22/08, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Old 4/22/08, 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

On a serious note, clear the codes and see if they come back. If they do you may need to find someone with a smoke machine, or take it into a shop.
Old 4/22/08, 07:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

On a serious note, clear the codes and see if they come back. If they do you may need to find someone with a smoke machine, or take it into a shop.

I accually read about this procedure on Google tonight. I cleared the code and will drive her tommorow an see if it comes back. I found out there is 3 different codes for the fuel system leak. The one I have for a small leak. one for a medium size leak and than one for a big leak. At least at this point I have a small leak. The first thing to check is the gas cap. Then it says to check vaccum lines. Problem is I don't know where these lines are at present.
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 4/22/08 at 07:27 PM.
Old 4/22/08, 07:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Scott,
I may have some PDF's on the fuel system if you need.

Also, try a Google search for fixing or troubleshooting that code.
Only ones I had was for a rich O2 sensor, it followed the suspect sensor when I swapped sides, but it's been about 1K since the last one popped up for me.
Old 4/22/08, 07:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting for us in Indiana with old cars...

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article...ntage_License/
Old 4/22/08, 07:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, I was going to ask about the specifics of the code(small,medium,large) check around that black metal shield under the gas tank for starters if it returns. It holds some key evap system components.

+1 The internet has made life a lot easier thats for sure.
Old 4/22/08, 11:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate that code, it's a pain in the neck to diagnose. The smoke machine is the best way to find it.

On another note, I once had an E150 conversion van give a gross leak code, brand new truck. I lifted it up and put the smoke machine on it, and what I found made me go ! The conversion company, in their haste to drill the holes in the floor to bolt in the seats, drilled right through the rear floor and into the charcoal canister under the third row. Their drill hit the canister at least twice, making big holes in it. Amazing the stuff you see at a car dealer.
Old 4/23/08, 04:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
Scott,
I may have some PDF's on the fuel system if you need.

Also, try a Google search for fixing or troubleshooting that code.
Only ones I had was for a rich O2 sensor, it followed the suspect sensor when I swapped sides, but it's been about 1K since the last one popped up for me.
Yeah, I was going to ask about the specifics of the code(small,medium,large) check around that black metal shield under the gas tank for starters if it returns. It holds some key evap system components.

+1 The internet has made life a lot easier thats for sure.
Originally Posted by frdtch05gt
I hate that code, it's a pain in the neck to diagnose. The smoke machine is the best way to find it.

On another note, I once had an E150 conversion van give a gross leak code, brand new truck. I lifted it up and put the smoke machine on it, and what I found made me go ! The conversion company, in their haste to drill the holes in the floor to bolt in the seats, drilled right through the rear floor and into the charcoal canister under the third row. Their drill hit the canister at least twice, making big holes in it. Amazing the stuff you see at a car dealer.

Thanks for the help guys. Well I drove the car to Wally World last night and to work this morning and so far "no code". I don't know how quick it would return if there really is something wrong.
Old 4/23/08, 05:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hopefully it doesn't come back....I'm learning quickly the sensors and computer in these cars are very, very sensitive.
Old 4/23/08, 06:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by red454
Interesting for us in Indiana with old cars...

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/article...ntage_License/

It is a pretty neat thing to do. We have been able to do that in Ohio for a number of years. The wife had a 65' Convertible that we had 1965 tags on. Her dad was one of those guys that kept all of his old plates on a wall of his garage. He had a set of 65 tags with the number 8888. He gave them to us and I had them restored. We don't have the car anymore but I still have those tags. Now they are hanging up in my garage.
Old 4/23/08, 06:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It is a pretty neat thing to do. We have been able to do that in Ohio for a number of years. The wife had a 65' Convertible that we had 1965 tags on. Her dad was one of those guys that kept all of his old plates on a wall of his garage. He had a set of 65 tags with the number 8888. He gave them to us and I had them restored. We don't have the car anymore but I still have those tags. Now they are hanging up in my garage.

That's cool.

Quick Reply: Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread