Search this Thread

Old 2/23/08, 11:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 2/24/08, 04:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
Well guys, I think I've found my first snag with the Saleen blower.....

I've noticed on occasion, mostly at part throttle city driving, I have an odd vibration & noise. As you know when you're sitting in the drivers seat, it's really hard to pinpoint where it's coming from. So today after hearing it again and being able to duplicate it at part throttle, I began to get worried because I was afraid that my driveshaft was rubbing.

I jacked the car up tonight and good news is the shaft looks perfect- no problems there. So I grabbed my tools and ensured my motor mounts were tight (all 3 bolts on each), looked at my exhaust hangers, etc. I also checked the manifold bolts where the H pipe meets up to the shorties, and although I did find (oddly) one nut that was slightly loose, all others were tight. Everything looks very good overall, so I moved to the top of the motor.

At that point, with a LOT of lighting, I said to myself "self, that blower looks really close to the firewall"..... So I grabbed a piece of paper that was handy (actually the instruction pages to my old Raptor shift light) and folded it so that it was 8 sheets thick and I attempted to slide it between the back of the blower and the firewall....... NO GO! Again I said to myself "self, there must be something behind there that I can't see" but to prove it, I folded the paper so it was 4 sheets thick and attempted to slide it between..... IT WENT! And when I pulled it back out, one side had black (Saleen) marks and the other had blue (firewall) marks. It is obvious that the back of the blower is hitting the firewall, which is something that I've read about on occasion with these Saleen blowers.

I guess when I get some time, I'll pull off that top intake runner (Scott, remember you and I pulled it off the display unit at Brenspeed) and I'll take a rubber mallet to the 'wall around that area......

To tell the truth, I think that this is all caused by the dang Prothane mounts. I'm really beginning to regret putting them in, only from the Saleen standpoint.

So I guess now upcoming projects are:

1) firewall modification
2) Roush scoop install
3) Restripe hood and scoop
4) CDC faux hood pins and Steeda/Brenspeed rear medallion install
5) I bought the complete restripe kit from BSM...... I'm considering restriping the entire car this spring. There are several spots that I'm unhappy with, may as well try it again and hope to make it better.

Sorry for the long post.

Sorry to hear you are having an issue. I know it's alot of work but if you want to pull the Prothanes so I can mill them down for you. Doesn't JDM shorten them 1/2 inch? You can send them to the shop and I could do them the day I receive them and send them back the same day. If you worried about holding the engine up you can put a block of wood under the oil pan at rest the engine on the crossmember. I did it for weeks back when I was waiting for my longtubes to arrive. Are you still going to powdercoat the top cover of the Saleen? You would be down a few days then anyway. Maybe there is some excess casting on the rear of that cover that can be removed also before you powdercoat it. I hate to see you have to start beating on you firewall.
Old 2/24/08, 12:59 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Sunny and almost 40 today. Did a little work on the stang.

Attachment 39790Attachment 39791Attachment 39792Attachment 39793Attachment 39794Attachment 39795
Attachment 39796

Attached Thumbnails Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread-02-24-08-002.jpg   Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread-dscf1045.jpg   Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread-dscf1046.jpg   Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread-dscf1047.jpg   Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread-dscf1048.jpg  

Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread-dscf1049.jpg   Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread-dscf1050.jpg  
Old 2/24/08, 01:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly

Looks like you gave that stock grill a good yank!!!! How can you be sunny and 40 when it is 32 and cloudy 200 miles farther south. Come on spring!!! Where is the new grill?
Old 2/24/08, 01:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey! tom450/450, I have set of the CDC EL Fakeo hood pins to install, do you by chance remember the measurements you used for placement on your last hood. I always liked where you had your falsie's stuck big boy..
Old 2/24/08, 01:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hey Scott, how did your mojo work with MomaMach1...you got that Saleen blower ordered ....
Old 2/24/08, 02:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Hey Scott, how did your mojo work with MomaMach1...you got that Saleen blower ordered ....
NO!!!
I was snoring when you posted your Momamach1 BS...last night!! And no not yet. I want to get my forged stroker short block first!!

Old 2/24/08, 02:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey! tom450/450, I have set of the CDC EL Fakeo hood pins to install, do you by chance remember the measurements you used for placement on your last hood. I always liked where you had your falsie's stuck big boy..

I don't know the exact measurements but I put mine in the same general area!!!!!
Old 2/24/08, 03:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
NO!!!
I was snoring when you posted your Momamach1 BS...last night!! And no not yet. I want to get my forged stroker short block first!!

Thats a relief! You start throwing blowers on your S197 and I'll never get caught up with you.... O' the old snoring mojo, that gets them everytime.....

I don't know the exact measurements but I put mine in the same general area!!!!!
wtf!... General area? Like what on the hood somewhere... Wheres Tom at? off choking his chicken or something! He's never around when you friggin need him!..
Old 2/24/08, 03:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly
Sunny and almost 40 today. Did a little work on the stang.

Dang, is that the new phantom grille? Car is looking good.

I really couldn't tell you...... it's been over 2 years. I do have a new set though, and actually was considering putting them somewhere else- but I think where I want to put them will be on top of my stripes (if I ever restripe the hood) so I'll probably put them back where they were before.

Copycat.

Old 2/24/08, 03:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

OK guys...... UPDATE:

Went out to the garage- had 2 hours to spare so I thought I'd get the Roush scoop installed. My planned 2 hours turned into 3 hours, and I didn't even touch the scoop LOL.

You may remember yesterday I posted about the blower basically laying on the firewall.... well today in preparation of installing the scoop, I removed my hood liner and noticed a "N" on one side and a "S" on the other.... the friggin' blower was pushing up into the hood liner, and even upon close inspection, pushing up into the hood itself. I noticed when I picked the car up, that the new hood seemed a tad high in the middle in relation to the fenders and I just figured I'd adjust it out- but actually it was because of the blower!

So up went the motor, out came the Prothane motor mounts......I took 3/8" off of them and reinstalled everything. The motor now sits lower and doesn't hit the hood, and it's almost 1/4" away from the firewall. The noise and vibration I was getting at part throttle seems to be gone, and everything looks/feels fine. Hood fits better too.

STD, the only problem I have now is my friggin' shorty headers are a hair off of the steering shaft again- just like before.

Also changed the oil while the car was up, and after a nice test drive out in the country, finally got her hosed off and washed up.
Old 2/24/08, 04:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I really couldn't tell you...... it's been over 2 years. I do have a new set though, and actually was considering putting them somewhere else- but I think where I want to put them will be on top of my stripes (if I ever restripe the hood) so I'll probably put them back where they were before.

Copycat.

Wow!! He shows up for about 5 minutes and I am feeling a little bit used already.... Since Tom can't provde you with the exact measurments on where the pasties go!!! I ....unlike Tom can provide you with exact measurments and photo's if required. If you want to send me something special this week also... I would be willing to give up the info!!!!
Scott
Old 2/24/08, 04:26 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Grill is on order but it's already screwed up. Summit had it for 275 but on back order, Auto Anything price matches and had it in stock. UPS says it hasn't recieve it yet to ship it. Monday will be buzy on the phone. Nobody notice in the pictures I took the C.F. louvers off and replace them with the painted black ones. Also the grey welt looked better than the black welt But I put black around the speakers and side view window controls.

Old 2/24/08, 04:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

OK guys...... UPDATE:

Went out to the garage- had 2 hours to spare so I thought I'd get the Roush scoop installed. My planned 2 hours turned into 3 hours, and I didn't even touch the scoop LOL.

You may remember yesterday I posted about the blower basically laying on the firewall.... well today in preparation of installing the scoop, I removed my hood liner and noticed a "N" on one side and a "S" on the other.... the friggin' blower was pushing up into the hood liner, and even upon close inspection, pushing up into the hood itself. I noticed when I picked the car up, that the new hood seemed a tad high in the middle in relation to the fenders and I just figured I'd adjust it out- but actually it was because of the blower!

So up went the motor, out came the Prothane motor mounts......I took 3/8" off of them and reinstalled everything. The motor now sits lower and doesn't hit the hood, and it's almost 1/4" away from the firewall. The noise and vibration I was getting at part throttle seems to be gone, and everything looks/feels fine. Hood fits better too.

STD, the only problem I have now is my friggin' shorty headers are a hair off of the steering shaft again- just like before.

Also changed the oil while the car was up, and after a nice test drive out in the country, finally got her hosed off and washed up.

Good Deal Kid...I am glad you got your issue fixed so fast. It's amazing what you can do with a hacksaw and file if you have too.
Old 2/24/08, 04:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly

Grill is on order but it's already screwed up. Summit had it for 275 but on back order, Auto Anything price matches and had it in stock. UPS says it hasn't recieve it yet to ship it. Monday will be buzy on the phone. Nobody notice in the pictures I took the C.F. louvers off and replace them with the painted black ones. Also the grey welt looked better than the black welt But I put black around the speakers and side view window controls.

Old 2/24/08, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly
Also the grey welt looked better than the black welt But I put black around the speakers and side view window controls.

Looks good.

Good Deal Kid...I am glad you got your issue fixed so fast. It's amazing what you can do with a hacksaw and file if you have too.

Bud light and a SawsAll, actually.
Old 2/24/08, 05:04 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Look back a few posts, lots of pictures
Old 2/24/08, 05:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly
Look back a few posts, lots of pictures

Oh yeah...I remember!!! I was focused on Tom and the sawsall!
Old 2/24/08, 05:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

OK guys...... UPDATE:

Tom, one of 70MACH1OWNER's big friggin hammers can take care of that header issue! but it may not rub with the Prothanes!

Wow!! He shows up for about 5 minutes and I am feeling a little bit used already.... Since Tom can't provde you with the exact measurments on where the pasties go!!! I ....unlike Tom can provide you with exact measurments and photo's if required. If you want to send me something special this week also... I would be willing to give up the info!!!!
Scott
Ya! I got something special for you!....
Old 2/24/08, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh yeah...I remember!!! I was focused on Tom and the sawsall!
Kim came out and witnessed me with a mount in the vise and the sawsall at full speed, with me wearing my sunglasses as protection LOL!

Protection for my eyes, STD.

Quick Reply: Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread