2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Making the V6 More Attractive

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/05, 08:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just for the record I never bash the v6's either. I just commented on the title of the post. I've stated that the v6 has almost the same amount of power as my 97 GT and that the body style is the same. I didn't bash the v6 at all, just mentioned how I don't understand how people insist that they chose the V6 because of looks over the GT. I have heard "It looks a lot better than the GT". Why? because the V6 doesn't have fog lights (which I find it funny that several V6 owners are adding the fogs). It all comes down to cost if you ask me, I know, you didn't, but it definately cannot be for looks alone.
Old 4/20/05, 09:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought... I've seen a lot of threads saying the Mustang compete's with this car, the Mustang compete's with that car. Um, last time I checked the Mustang is the last of the "Pony" cars. There is no competition for the Mustang per-say. There is no automaker out there trying to get the most HP for the buck.

The last car that really competed with the Mustang was the Camaro and it is long extinct. The Tiburon, Eclipse, Celica, and other foreign cars are "Tuner" cars and compete with each other, not the Mustang. Not even the GT really has a direct competitor the closest you would probably get is the GTO but that one could already be headed to extinction.

To compare the Mustang with almost any other car on the market is apples to oranges. Since most the cars mentioned fall into three categories: sporty family cars (Accord/Altima Coupes), tuner cars (Eclipse/Tiburon), and souped up performance cars *aka tuners on steroids* (WRX/Lancer EVO).

Just my .02 cents.
Old 4/20/05, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by TomServo92+April 19, 2005, 4:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomServo92 @ April 19, 2005, 4:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by nitwhitt-v-6@April 19, 2005, 3:58 PM
Originally posted by TomServo92@April 19, 2005, 9:03 AM
Originally posted by adrenalin@April 19, 2005, 8:41 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Falchion
@April 19, 2005, 8:18 AM

Not true, the V6 is a little shorter then the GT. And I think the GT has a different hood then the V6, which gives it a "blockier" appearence. To my eye anyways....

How much shorter? It doesn't look shorter to me and the part # for the hood on the GT and V6 are the same, according to my service department because I already priced a replacement hood incase I want to install a CDC shaker.

According to Ford's website, the GT is longer by 0.4 inches (187.6 vs 188). That's hardly a significant difference in my book and certainly not noticable to the naked eye.

The differences between the V-6 and the GT are Front grill, fog lamps, front bumper, rear facia, dual exhaust and painted side rocker panels. Thats it, the hood is the same.
Uh yeah, I've noticed all the things you mentioned. I was replying strictly to the comment that the GT was longer than the V6.
[/b][/quote]

It's only longer because of the front curve on the bottom of the bumper because the V-6 has the Liscence plate cut out.
Old 4/20/05, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by drylbrg@April 19, 2005, 5:54 PM
What I have been trying to get through is that more options are a good thing. Could be a V-6 SE, could just be more options. Whatever. It would allow people to personalize their cars from the factory instead of from the aftermarket. The poster who mentioned Scion has it exactly right. They have a butt-load of options. This puts the mods in the car loan instead of out of pocket. Those that prefer the "clean" look do not have to purchase the add-ons. Simple. Different strokes for different folks. And I still think an OPTIONAL higher powered v-6 would be good.

I agree with you on the available wheel options and even on maybe more HP. But the factory knows that if too many options were available then people like me can't have a one of a kind (or few like it) kinf of car. That's what makes aftermarket products so fun.

I like my V-6 and I don't care what any one thinks. It's me that matters.
Old 4/20/05, 09:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@April 20, 2005, 9:58 AM
Just for the record I never bash the v6's either. I just commented on the title of the post. I've stated that the v6 has almost the same amount of power as my 97 GT and that the body style is the same. I didn't bash the v6 at all, just mentioned how I don't understand how people insist that they chose the V6 because of looks over the GT. I have heard "It looks a lot better than the GT". Why? because the V6 doesn't have fog lights (which I find it funny that several V6 owners are adding the fogs). It all comes down to cost if you ask me, I know, you didn't, but it definately cannot be for looks alone.
Thats cool!!
Old 4/20/05, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by nitwhitt-v-6+April 20, 2005, 8:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nitwhitt-v-6 @ April 20, 2005, 8:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-drylbrg@April 19, 2005, 5:54 PM
What I have been trying to get through is that more options are a good thing. Could be a V-6 SE, could just be more options. Whatever. It would allow people to personalize their cars from the factory instead of from the aftermarket. The poster who mentioned Scion has it exactly right. They have a butt-load of options. This puts the mods in the car loan instead of out of pocket. Those that prefer the "clean" look do not have to purchase the add-ons. Simple. Different strokes for different folks. And I still think an OPTIONAL higher powered v-6 would be good.

I agree with you on the available wheel options and even on maybe more HP. But the factory knows that if too many options were available then people like me can't have a one of a kind (or few like it) kinf of car. That's what makes aftermarket products so fun.

I like my V-6 and I don't care what any one thinks. It's me that matters.
[/b][/quote]

Extremely well said
Old 4/20/05, 11:05 AM
FR500 Member

May I say that the Windevil and Silver combo looks effin sweet. That's gorgeous Phillip!
Old 4/20/05, 11:25 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@April 20, 2005, 11:08 AM
May I say that the Windevil and Silver combo looks effin sweet. That's gorgeous Phillip!
I'm going to second that. That color combo is beautiful!
Old 4/20/05, 11:26 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by puffyafros+April 20, 2005, 10:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(puffyafros @ April 20, 2005, 10:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SixtySix@April 20, 2005, 11:08 AM
[/b][/quote]
I triple that!
WB is the best color to show off the lines imo
Old 4/20/05, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@April 19, 2005, 3:59 PM
I don't agree with this concept that someone wouldn't choose a V6 on styling alone. There are enough differences in the V6 and V8 styling that I can how someone would choose a V6, especially if having V8 power was not that important. I can also how someone can say "I can afford a GT but decided on the V6". Even if you have the money, why spend it if you're happy with what you get in the V6?
I've been trying to convince myself I'd be as happy with the V6, it'd be easier, and I'd have the car today, but I just can't. But that's me. Even if it had a V8, and the same styling as the V6, I wouldn't choose it. Styling issues.
Old 4/20/05, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

WOW..This has gone way off topic. I knew it would the second I saw the thread. But here is the deal. Its plain and simple and GT owners like myself should respect it!!

I owned a 2000 V6 prior to my current 05 GT. The reason people buy a V6 is for 5 reasons and there is nothing wrong with that.
1. Its 5 grand cheaper. Thats a lot of money!!!
2. Not everyone cares about HP and why should they? A V6 has 210 HP which is plenty of power to go back and forth to work, trips, etc. and plenty enough power to speed up and change lanes. My 2000 V6 had 190 HP and it did what I wanted it to do just fine!! Now if you are a show off and race on the tracks...you better go with the GT but then again, watch out because there are some v6's out there with the same HP as ours. LOL
3. Insurance is lower on the V6.
4. Not many people care about the fog lights. Its not like a person drives in fog everyday. Right?
5. Savings in gas.

Now I am sure you guys are wondering well why in heck did I get a GT.

Well, because I had extra 5 grand to spend that I could live without, my company gives me a credit card for all my gas. Now do I like the extra HP? Yes I do but I could live with the 210 HP with no problem.

Now here is the shame. We all love our GT's right? Without a doubt!!! Well guess what. V6 owners LOVE their cars as well. So why do you guys put their cars down? What if one day you have some serious financial problems and wanted a Mustang because it was your dream car. Dont tell me you would not buy a V6 and get some other car because you could not afford a GT. Come on guys give the V6 owners a break there cars are really nice as well.

Now here is the thing I dont understand. GT owners make fun of the V6 owners because they do things such as add fog lights, dual exhaust, increase HP, etc. Then on the other hand I see many GT owners modding there car by increasing HP, changing the GT badges, etc. In that case why do GT owners just not buy a cobra like the new Sheby? Whats up with that?
Old 4/20/05, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by thezeppelin8+April 20, 2005, 11:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thezeppelin8 @ April 20, 2005, 11:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by puffyafros@April 20, 2005, 10:28 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-SixtySix
@April 20, 2005, 11:08 AM

I triple that!
WB is the best color to show off the lines imo
[/b][/quote]

Thank you all. It took a lot to convince the wife, but now I have to get her one in Red Fire Red.
Old 4/20/05, 02:13 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by SixtySix@April 20, 2005, 11:08 AM
WOW!
Old 4/20/05, 02:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by nitwhitt-v-6@April 20, 2005, 9:36 AM
It's only longer because of the front curve on the bottom of the bumper because the V-6 has the Liscence plate cut out.
Actually, if you look at the V6, there's a ridge above the cutout that extends beyond it so the cutout isn't the reason for the 0.4" difference in length.

Old 4/20/05, 03:28 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The cutout comes to a point. It is the difference.
Visual: The GT Bumper is a full slice of pizza, The v6 Bumper is the same slice with a small bite taken out of the tip. The GT slice is longer. - slightly.

Why is anyone arguing about 4 tenths of an inch anyway?????

Edit, and if I'm wrong, who cares? The difference in length is somewhere in the 2 bumper covers. It's not like the 6 has a longer frame. Please
Old 4/20/05, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok nitwhitt-v-6, your Mustang is hands down in the top 3 of the nicest '05's I've seen, GT's included. You should be very proud of your car.

And to heck with the people who have a problem with V6 owers. :bang:

EDIT: And call me crazy, but I think the wheels that you have on your car help make the color and stripe combo look even better. I don't think it would be as sharp with the Bullitt wheels, and certainly not the upgraded wheels offered on the GT.
Old 4/20/05, 04:24 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@April 20, 2005, 2:31 PM

Feelings of inadequacy
Old 4/20/05, 04:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@April 20, 2005, 3:31 PM
The cutout comes to a point. It is the difference.
Visual: The GT Bumper is a full slice of pizza, The v6 Bumper is the same slice with a small bite taken out of the tip. The GT slice is longer. - slightly.

Edit, and if I'm wrong, who cares? The difference in length is somewhere in the 2 bumper covers. It's not like the 6 has a longer frame. Please
You're right about it just being a difference in the two bumper covers. The cutout really has nothing to do with it.

We're not arguing. It's just a discussion about the differences between the GT and V6. It may be a useless discussion, but a discussion nonetheless.
Old 4/20/05, 09:44 PM
GTR Member

i dont like the V6 or GT grilles, nor do i like the 17 inch Gt wheels. I love the V6 wheels and if u dont race a V6 mustang is a good car for you.
Old 4/22/05, 10:00 AM
GT Member

I added a few things to my V6, and now I have the car exactly like I want and all for $21K. I like V8s, sure, but I don't NEED one. I drive my V6 to work everyday and I average 30 mph in it. That's it. I'd average 30 mph in a GT, or a Porsche for that matter. Bottom line is my V6 looks as good as a GT and functions the same as a GT for my intended use. I won't be racing the car, so I really couldn't justify the extra cost of the GT.

Quick Reply: Making the V6 More Attractive