2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Making the V6 More Attractive

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/05, 02:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering how popular the GT is, and how many V6's are sitting on lots (I saw around 15 at a local dealership just the other day), should Ford make the V6 closer to the GT to make it more attractive?

I am thinking the GT's manual tranny, rear diff/axles, a rear sway bar, optional wheels, and ideally 20-40 more hp. This shouldn't be too difficult or too impactful on the price/bottom line.

Would this make you more inclined to buy a V6 if they kept the pricing around the same as it is now?

It certainly would make me re-think a later engine swap. But as it is now, the GT just has way too many additions I think are vital.

It used to be they had to spruce up the GT's to make them more attractive, now it looks like the opposite is true. Should Ford do anything about it, or keep things the way they are and ride out the fever?
Old 4/15/05, 02:39 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think it's just fine the way it is. You'd be suprised how few people actually knew there was a new Mustang coming. Once the enthusiasts buy and drive their GTs and people see them on the streets, the better the V6s will sell. It will all balance out.
Old 4/15/05, 02:46 PM

I don't think it would be a bad idea. Give it about 250HP and it could draw buyers looking at Accord Coupes, Nissan Altimas etc. I know that if my GT order is cancelled those are the cars I will be looking at.
Old 4/15/05, 02:49 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Giving it 250 horsepower would
  1. Lower GT sales
  2. Raise insurance costs
  3. Raise Ford's CAFE
  4. Raise Mustang's MAFE
Old 4/15/05, 02:50 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Are you mental?
My car is perfect, and just like I wanted it (sans it being an auto,but it couldn't be helped). Shes frigging beautiful. AND yes I wanted a 6, I didn't get denied a Gt and settle.
I love her I adore her and I worship her. I wouldn't trade Eleanor for Ten Gts.
Old 4/15/05, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry I am with Brad but I will add to it that the Mustang is bang for the buck and by raising the HP and everything will raise the price of the vehicle. I could have gotten a GT but the insurance is what killed it for me.

A year ago I was going to lease a 04 V6 with the hood scoop and nice wheels and get a GT 3 years down the road but the lease rates were bad so I held off. I thought man I want a GT, but then I saw the V6 and I tell you the V6 is very nice a 100% nicer then a 04 V6 and this years V6 is closer to the GT then in years past. I have seen V6s on the road and when they approach you they are tough looking. I can't wait to get mine it is all I need in a Mustang for my style which is cruzing not racing. Yes I would like the exhaust sound of the V8 but this V6 has a deep sound to it with plenty of power and if I want more power I can add it later and my insurance stays the same.

got to love the aftermarket companies.

Ford will offer special packages for the V6 but as far a HP it will not be bumped up for a long time. look at the trend in the past 94 V6 150 HP 99 V6 190 HP 05 210 HP. I give Ford 5 years before they increase the HP on the V6. Ford loves to keep the Mustang at a low price both from a selling stand point and insurance.
Old 4/15/05, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know about that one, as far as it being a good idea or not. I definitely don't think Ford will do it. The upgrades are going to add additional cost to the V6 and I don't think Ford is looking to do that.

As far as the Accord and Altima coupe's with the V6's, those really compete with the GT on price, so I don't think Ford wants to try to make the V6 Mustang compete with those cars.
Old 4/15/05, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Were I live no 05 mustang stays on the lot longer than a few days, no matter what engine they have, and the majority I see around are V6's. A matter of fact no Mustang stays on a lot for long in my area period. I swear It's the state car.
Old 4/15/05, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by moc1976@April 15, 2005, 3:08 PM
I don't know about that one, as far as it being a good idea or not. I definitely don't think Ford will do it. The upgrades are going to add additional cost to the V6 and I don't think Ford is looking to do that.

As far as the Accord and Altima coupe's with the V6's, those really compete with the GT on price, so I don't think Ford wants to try to make the V6 Mustang compete with those cars.

The cars that compete with the V6 are the Tiburon, Celica and Eclipse to name a few. The Eclipse with the most HP is $23,000. Once again Ford gets it right with the Price and not to mention the Mustang is the best looking car out of these.
Old 4/15/05, 03:09 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by shestangs@April 15, 2005, 3:08 PM
Were I live no 05 mustang stays on the lot longer than a few days, no matter what engine they have, and the majority I see around are V6's. A matter of fact no Mustang stays on a lot for long in my area period. I swear It's ths state car.
Nah, the mustang is the official Alabama state car. Too many to swing a stick without hitting one.
here its a 3 way tie between verts, sixes and Gts, we don't care here, we just love em.
Old 4/15/05, 03:11 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't make any motor mods, the only thing I'd change is the front bumper. The front end of the v6 would be much improved by removing the license plate pocket. No front plates down here, and that hole takes away the otherwise nice clean look of the v6.
Old 4/15/05, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Rampant@April 15, 2005, 3:39 PM
Considering how popular the GT is, and how many V6's are sitting on lots (I saw around 15 at a local dealership just the other day), should Ford make the V6 closer to the GT to make it more attractive?

I am thinking the GT's manual tranny, rear diff/axles, a rear sway bar, optional wheels, and ideally 20-40 more hp. This shouldn't be too difficult or too impactful on the price/bottom line.

Would this make you more inclined to buy a V6 if they kept the pricing around the same as it is now?

It certainly would make me re-think a later engine swap. But as it is now, the GT just has way too many additions I think are vital.

It used to be they had to spruce up the GT's to make them more attractive, now it looks like the opposite is true. Should Ford do anything about it, or keep things the way they are and ride out the fever?

Yes! Absolutely they should do something, nothing major, but I saw a sonic blue V6 today coming toward me and it looked pretty uninspiring.
The engines fine, I disagree with the person that said add more horsepower, but maybe a grill that isn't so wide or something up front might be a good idea, that's all I'm saying.
Old 4/15/05, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Super Sonic Blue Mustang+April 15, 2005, 3:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Super Sonic Blue Mustang @ April 15, 2005, 3:12 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-moc1976@April 15, 2005, 3:08 PM

The cars that compete with the V6 are the Tiburon, Celica and Eclipse to name a few. The Eclipse with the most HP is $23,000. Once again Ford gets it right with the Price and not to mention the Mustang is the best looking car out of these.
[/b][/quote]

The original poster was saying to bump up the V6 Mustang to compete with the Altima and Accord coupes. I was saying that those cars with their V6 already cost about the same as a base Mustang GT. Just looked on Honda's website and a V6 Accord coupe V6 with manual tranny starts at 26,950.00.

Now, I'm not saying that comparing those cars is apples to apples, let's face it, the Mustang is in a league of its own.
Old 4/15/05, 03:27 PM

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the current model. I just think that an additional model half-way between the 200HP V-6 and the 300HP V-8 makes sense. Will Ford build it? No. I don't think that the price seperation between the V-6 and GT gives enough room. They also do not have an engine that would give the target power and be cost effective. If they did build it, it would be the ulimate retro touch. Remember back in the old days you could order the same car with everything from an 250ci 6 to a Boss429.
Old 4/15/05, 03:30 PM
Cobra Member

Well, I gotta tell ya. I've been saying all year how I can't wait for the 2006 Tungsten GT w/ 18" fanblades.

Now that I've seen the Street Scene Equipment body kit for the V6 (pics at their site: www.streetsceneeq.com, I'm actually thinking of getting an '06 V6. The body kit is $900 ($999 for the V8) and I'd have that paid for in the first year ($1300 vs. $900 every six months is the NJ difference in premiums for the two cars).

I would not get the ABS brakes/Traction control on her because if I did, I might as well buy the GT. But to get back on topic, if they put a nicer front end on 'er, that would be a plus. If not, aftermarket.

It's all good!
Old 4/15/05, 03:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

So far so good! No locks! See? We can discuss a topic like adults and offer insightful opinions.

I really do like the 6, it has grown on me so much. We could have bought a GT if we'd wanted to. But with a teenage driver on our insurance (not that she's going to be driving the 'Stang) we decided that until she is out of the house it made the most sense to get the 6 and have some fun with it. We may even give it to her in a few years and get a GT or special edition or whatever.

Bottom line, it is a good car in it's own right. And I wouldn't consider it settling to own one. I do wish the bumper was different though, since we don't have to have a front plate in Arizona.
Old 4/15/05, 03:38 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@April 15, 2005, 3:14 PM
I wouldn't make any motor mods, the only thing I'd change is the front bumper. The front end of the v6 would be much improved by removing the license plate pocket. No front plates down here, and that hole takes away the otherwise nice clean look of the v6.
Agreed
Old 4/15/05, 05:17 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's funny but both 6's or 8's sell well over here (about 50/50)and there are not many of them up here.I finnaly saw a red GT last weekend on the road and that was only the 2nd one since they were introduced up here in early november.
Old 4/15/05, 06:32 PM
GT Member

Most of the dealers in my area always seem to have a decent amount of V6's but I wouldn't say they are not selling. I think they are probably moving a decent amount and just geting new ones to replace the sold ones. Though its not like the GT's where they cant keep them in stock. I haven't been to the dealers lately but before my purchase I was going at least once a week and there was always at least a dozen. I feel that Ford probably expected more demand for the 6's and did not anticipate the high demand for the GT's. I think the 6 is fine the way it is and doesn't need any more or less improvements then the GT would.
Old 4/15/05, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

- Maybe a 3 or 4-valve per cylinder design with variable valve timiming?
- 17" Wheel option
- Fog lights in the bumper

Quick Reply: Making the V6 More Attractive