2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Making the V6 More Attractive

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/05, 05:26 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No ads here either.

I saw Cornfield and the superbowl vert commercial During Idol a week or two ago though.
Old 4/19/05, 01:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by IWantMyNewGT+April 18, 2005, 2:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IWantMyNewGT @ April 18, 2005, 2:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TheMustangSource@April 15, 2005, 2:42 PM
...You'd be suprised how few people actually knew there was a new Mustang coming...
I agree. Ford has done an incredibly poor job advertising the '05 Mustangs here in Northern CA. The Super Bowl ad is the only one I've seen on TV. I'm guessing it is because this is rice country so Ford figures why bother . But then again one dealer said to me "Mustang buyers don't shop for anything else, so we don't need to advertise them".

Ford should be forwarding some of that FDAF they are charging buyers to me. Almost everytime I stop somewhere in my GT, people want to see the car inside and out and have many questions about it. Mine is the only '05 Stang amidst a sea of Hondas in my neighborhood, so I get plenty of attention.

I think the V6s are a great value and will start selling once people know about them.
[/b][/quote]

You have spoken and Ford has replied... http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=21810
Old 4/19/05, 07:23 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I personally don't understand what this topic is about. How do you make a V6 more attractive when it looks almost identical to the v8. Everyone I have talked to that has bought the new mustang has purchased a GT, like I did. The reason was power and handling. Sure, I like the looks of the fog lights and dual exhaust as well but that was not my reason for buying the car. You can modify a V6 all you want but it will never be a GT.
Old 4/19/05, 07:26 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by exc911ence@April 16, 2005, 8:42 PM
Personally, I prefer the looks of the V6 to the GT but I had to have the V8 so the GT was the only choice. If I could have had the V8 drivetrain in a V6 body (LX anyone?), I'd have jumped on it! Just my .02.
I'm not sure I understand why people say this. The only difference in the looks between the 2 is the fog lights, rocker panels and dual exhaust.
Old 4/19/05, 08:15 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not true, the V6 is a little shorter then the GT. And I think the GT has a different hood then the V6, which gives it a "blockier" appearence. To my eye anyways....

Originally posted by adrenalin+April 19, 2005, 7:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adrenalin @ April 19, 2005, 7:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-exc911ence@April 16, 2005, 8:42 PM
Personally, I prefer the looks of the V6 to the GT but I had to have the V8 so the GT was the only choice. If I could have had the V8 drivetrain in a V6 body (LX anyone?), I'd have jumped on it! Just my .02.
I'm not sure I understand why people say this. The only difference in the looks between the 2 is the fog lights, rocker panels and dual exhaust.
[/b][/quote]
Old 4/19/05, 08:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think if the prices were a little more "apart" than they currently are, the 6's would sell more. To get a fully loaded 6, you can get a lesser GT for the same price. If insurance isn't a problem, I can't imagine why anybody would buy a 6 when the GT can be had for nearly the same money. If interior upgrades mean more than power, than the 6 will be the choice. I just think more people will go for the power of the GT over the 6 when other options don't affect the decision.
Old 4/19/05, 08:38 AM
Retired Tms Staff

[quote=Falchion,April 19, 2005, 8:18 AM]
Not true, the V6 is a little shorter then the GT. And I think the GT has a different hood then the V6, which gives it a "blockier" appearence. To my eye anyways....

How much shorter? It doesn't look shorter to me and the part # for the hood on the GT and V6 are the same, according to my service department because I already priced a replacement hood incase I want to install a CDC shaker.
Old 4/19/05, 09:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by adrenalin+April 19, 2005, 8:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adrenalin @ April 19, 2005, 8:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Falchion@April 19, 2005, 8:18 AM

How much shorter? It doesn't look shorter to me and the part # for the hood on the GT and V6 are the same, according to my service department because I already priced a replacement hood incase I want to install a CDC shaker.
[/b][/quote]

According to Ford's website, the GT is longer by 0.4 inches (187.6 vs 188). That's hardly a significant difference in my book and certainly not noticable to the naked eye.
Old 4/19/05, 09:51 AM
GT Member

It's like I said in my earlier post, people who said they bought a V6 instead of a GT soley because they prefer the V6 look are lying. Why are they lying? It might be that they simply don't care about the extra power. Or maybe they didn't want to pay the higher insurance. Could be a variety of reasons, but I assure you that their preference for the V6 look was not the ONLY reason for their decision. I refuse to believe anyone who says things like "I could have got a GT, but I prefered the look of the V6". Anyone who says that never planned to get a GT or couldn't get a GT.
Old 4/19/05, 11:27 AM
Cobra Member

Sure I could have gotten the GT but then I would not have been able to do anything to it. No stripes, no billet accesories, it would have been a bone stock GT, and I didnt want that, all my other cars were always left stock and had no options,(except for the Altima)plus as I have stated I dont have the need for the extra power!
I would have loved the fogs and the duel exhaust but thats about it!
That being said I love my V-6 and it is a very good performer!
Why did this thread become another GT vs. V-6 debate anyways??
Old 4/19/05, 11:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinv-6@April 19, 2005, 10:30 AM
Sure I could have gotten the GT but then I would not have been able to do anything to it. No stripes, no billet accesories, it would have been a bone stock GT, and I didnt want that, all my other cars were always left stock and had no options,(except for the Altima)plus as I have stated I dont have the need for the extra power!
I would have loved the fogs and the duel exhaust but thats about it!
That being said I love my V-6 and it is a very good performer!
Why did this thread become another GT vs. V-6 debate anyways??

Well said Kevin!
Old 4/19/05, 11:52 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Why couldn't you do anything to the GT? I have to assume that is because of financial reasons, which I understand. That being said, for people to want the V6 to come with more goodies does not make sense because that would raise the price of the V6. I am not knocking the V6 in anyway. The darn thing is only 25HP less than what my 97 GT had. All I am saying is I am sick of hearing "I like the looks of the V6 better." They are the same body people and what makes the GT .4" longer, most likely the front bumper. Big deal. I can just imagine all of the aftermarket things I could have done to my GT but can't afford to. Same reason people buy the V6 instead of the GT is the same reason I bought the GT and not a Cobra. Can I afford a Cobra, sure. Can I afford to modify it, most likely not because my wife would get half after she divorced me for buying one.
Old 4/19/05, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I for one have never said I bought the V6 because of the way it looked over the GT.
Old 4/19/05, 12:40 PM
GT Member

Not to start an argument as there have been many posts in regard to the 6 compared with the GT but IMO if you live in a large metropolitan area where there are not wide open country roads to really enjoy opening up the car then I really don't see the need to have the extra power. In a sense I sometimes get frustrated in my 6 because I want to open it up but the traffic and speed limits stop me real quick. No I am not doing 70 in 30. I truly believe that most people even with high performance cars drive them at normal limits just like the guy in his 4cyl. I would find it even more annoying to own the GT and not being able to enjoy the power. To give it a little blast of acceleration here in there aint worth $4000 to me. Just enjoy the ride people...........
Old 4/19/05, 12:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by azlitigator@April 19, 2005, 12:08 PM
I for one have never said I bought the V6 because of the way it looked over the GT.

Thats my reason to why I brought the V6.
Old 4/19/05, 01:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really shouldn't be calling people liars.... :nono:

I did buy the V6 because I liked the way it looks over a GT. I could easily have bought a GT if I had wanted one, but I liked the looks of the V6 coupe best.

It really wasn't a money thing as much as a style thing. Before the 2005 Mustang came out I was considering cars that cost as much as, or more then the GT.

At my income level I could have had either one, but I chose the V6. Yes, because of the looks! :angry:

Here's link to the post I mad about the test drive I took in a V6 5 speed manual. It was the third of three test drives I took in a 2005 Mustang!

V6 Manual Test Drive

Originally posted by mister_e@April 19, 2005, 9:54 AM
It's like I said in my earlier post, people who said they bought a V6 instead of a GT soley because they prefer the V6 look are lying. Why are they lying? It might be that they simply don't care about the extra power. Or maybe they didn't want to pay the higher insurance. Could be a variety of reasons, but I assure you that their preference for the V6 look was not the ONLY reason for their decision. I refuse to believe anyone who says things like "I could have got a GT, but I prefered the look of the V6". Anyone who says that never planned to get a GT or couldn't get a GT.
Old 4/19/05, 01:35 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Falchion@April 19, 2005, 2:12 PM
You really shouldn't be calling people liars.... :nono:

I did buy the V6 because I liked the way it looks over a GT. I could easily have bought a GT if I had wanted one, but I liked the looks of the V6 coupe best.

It really wasn't a money thing as much as a style thing. Before the 2005 Mustang came out I was considering cars that cost as much as, or more then the GT.

At my income level I could have had either one, but I chose the V6. Yes, because of the looks! :angry:

Here's link to the post I mad about the test drive I took in a V6 5 speed manual. It was the third of three test drives I took in a 2005 Mustang!

V6 Manual Test Drive
Sorry if my "liar" comment offended. That being said, I stand by my original statement; I don't believe anyone who claims that the ONLY reason for going with the V6 is looks. Sorry, they just don't look different enough for me to believe that.

Also, why do people keep bringing up the fact that they can afford a GT even though they chose the V6? I never implied otherwise. I don't care if you can afford a Porche or Ferrari, all I suggested is that looks is not the ONLY reason someone chooses a V6 instead of a GT.
Old 4/19/05, 02:02 PM
GT Member

To me the factory look of the 6 is a little nicer being I don't care for the fogs and I like the stripe tape on the body but it was 95% the cost difference that I bought the V6. If they were the same the same price I would have surely taken the GT! To me spending $22,000 for something that depreciates is more then enough but to each is own.
Old 4/19/05, 02:12 PM
FR500 Member

same color rocker panels as the body
Old 4/19/05, 02:15 PM

Yo, people make choices for many reasons. Maybe it's money, maybe it's insurance, maybe it IS looks, and maybe it's for other reasons nobody even thought of yet!

They're all mustangs, and that makes it cool. Dig

Peace brutha's and sista's

Quick Reply: Making the V6 More Attractive