2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hydro-Powered Stang

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/04, 02:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, in reply to someone's statement, the RX is a rotary engine, but a rotary is a lot easier to convert from gas to H and back again(on the concept, its just a switch on the dash).

And in reply to the questions on how much it would cost, water is two-thirds of it, and seperating it is just a matter of getting a spark with enough voltage to overcome the molecular bonds, and that aint much. We did it back in freshman physics in high school.

And with the Hindenburg, come on... it was a huge bag of Hydrogen, not a little metal tank, and that was 70 years ago, I'm sure American technology has surpassed German tech of the 1930's
Old 6/8/04, 02:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

was it said already that a hydrogen piston engine will still keep the exhaust sound. It's better to look forward to hydrogen than any other alternative energy, such as electric, because it will still have a somewhat raw feel. Compared to electric.
Ford is set.
Old 6/8/04, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

yup and it should technically make for a decent 4.6L v8 version of fords 2.3L I4 hydro ICE with quite a bit of power. the 2.3L ICE granted might not normally have the power of the gas version but with the superchanger that ford put with it it was getting the same power that the gas version got and still kept clean air and water on the output side. i for one think that if they made a 4.6L v8 version and a 3.5L v6 that it would sell for about the same if not way better then the gas versions for mustangs. alot of people would turn to the hydro ICE if it was around the same price as the gas version. heck i can picture alot of people going to that version b4 they'd goto the gas version with the price of gas as high as it is. i know i for oen cannot wait to see ford beginning to use their technology in their products other then the concept car that it was introduced in ^_^ esspecially when basically its just a hydro conversion kit to the gas engine that just needs to be installed so it would run on hydrogen instead of gas
Old 6/8/04, 02:44 PM
GT Member

I'll burn hydrocarbons till the day I die.
Old 6/8/04, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

could be arranged sooner then ud think :jedi: j/k
Old 6/8/04, 03:57 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
what would need to be done to convert a current engine, for the purpose of example lets use the ones in the current stangs, to a hydro? and how much would this cost to do?
both individually and by Ford?
also, how much $$ would be needed to convert all gas pumps to hydro pumps?
Old 6/8/04, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

got me but that would be interesting to know...
Old 6/8/04, 04:08 PM
Post *****

yeah. im kinda concerned cuz, from what i hear, the gas reserves of the planet are gonna go down the drain (or in our case, out the exhaust) by 2025-30*. so we better start using hydro engines in stuff, mainly cuz its the most abundant element in the universe. and you can get it in water! doesnt get much better than that. unless there is a way to convert leftovers into automobile fuel, hydrogen is the way to go.

*not exactly sure about those dates tho
Old 6/8/04, 04:10 PM
Cobra Member

Hydro Engines

Hmm, googling around and found this site...
Old 6/8/04, 04:18 PM
Post *****

THANK YOU MAN. that really helps me put some perspective on what would need to be done. sounds to me like the only problem is $$. the site said it would be expensive to do. but on the other hand, if any automitive company did this for their cars or offered kits for their cars at an affordable price, they would make more than they spent developing it by gaining more customers. in short, acheiving success the way ford did with the mustang, low cost, available to all, and a quality product.
Old 6/8/04, 04:31 PM
Cobra Member

I'm starting to get very wicked ideas about taking an SUV and making it a tree-hugging 700 mile range water filter

That United Nuclear company is talking about $5,000 for a conversion, very interesting...
Old 6/8/04, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

what it would really come down to is the fact that if lets say ford started selling that system in their vehicles and selling conversion kits... then and only then will it become cheap to do because everyone in their right mind would do the conversion because of the overall cost. so think about it like cd players... in the 80's when they came out very few people had them at the time and like no cars had them and the ones that did on the most part where crap. by 95 so about 10 years down the road cd players where coming on vehicles standard and they were decently good barely skipped. now 9 years after that cd players are still standard and ive never heard a cd play that came with a new vehicle ever skip and they are really good quality most are even better then most home systems.

so what im sayin is that if they were to start to put these systems in their vehicles it will be expensive for the 1st 5 years tops... and then after that point it wont be expensive at all. oh and it would only be expensive at first which the overall savings cost would more then pay for itself many times fold withing the first few years of having the system in the vehicle. like anythign when it just hits the market at first it will be out of this world but after more and mroe people buy it and its ofered by more and more companies the cost will get cut like u wouldnt believe.
Old 6/8/04, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by My89Ford@June 8, 2004, 1:47 PM
I'll burn hydrocarbons till the day I die.
Not to pick a fight or anything, but are you serious? You're only 7 months younger than I am. You'll live well into this century. Oil reserves will be empty by the time we hit our middle-age - this is guaranteed at the rate humans are consuming it. If we continue on this path, not only will we run out of oil, but the polution from it will be so extreme, that if within our generation's lifetime, our children's, or our grandchildren's lifetimes this planet WILL become inhospitable to human life. At this point all is fine. We're burning hydrocarbons all we want and all we're seeing from it is increased Asthma, skin cancer, and other ailments. It's not like cancer is lethal or anything (tongue in cheek).

I don't know about you people, but I care about my family. Even though I don't have children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren yet, I plan on having them. I don't want them to inherit a world they can't live in without getting sick or not being allowed outside in what should be "fresh air". It's very hypocritical of anyone to ruin the world "because they can" and then claim to love their offspring more than anything else.

*breaks into the chorus of "The children are our future"..*

But seriously, We have a great planet here. Let's not F it up for us and our future generations.
Old 6/8/04, 05:05 PM
V6 Member

If you're worried about the power output of hydrogen just remember that the space shuttle main engines use hydrogen. Along those lines you could forget about nitrous. Just hook your engine up for a shot of pure O2 for a serious boost! :geek:
Old 6/8/04, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

i agree man... and im basically the same age as u as we both know and i for one would perfer a chance to change my vehicles from gas to hydro if it meant it chould clean things up. i forone plan on having like 5 kids at least ... and no im not morman i just like kids. granted some can be a pain in the hiney but if they are raised right they wont be. anywho, we are the youth of a nation (meaning both canada and the US since we are the same when it comes to besically everything...)

its up to us to make things right. if we dont no one will and going to a hydro fueled engine can do it... or well begin to do it. so i say we do it.

hmm i gotta stop listening to P.O.D.'s Youth of a Nation... ^_^
Old 6/8/04, 05:25 PM
Cobra Member

The cool thing is, when we get enough people to change over to H, gasoline demand will go down and so will prices (presumably) so those who want to keep burning dinos can continue doing so...

And isn't that what America (and Canada, and the EU, et al) is all about?
Old 6/8/04, 05:27 PM
FR500 Member

Sure, if it didn't affect the safety of the car, or the horsepower, etc...
Old 6/8/04, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool

Originally posted by FrankBullitt05@June 8, 2004, 5:28 PM
The cool thing is, when we get enough people to change over to H, gasoline demand will go down and so will prices (presumably) so those who want to keep burning dinos can continue doing so...

And isn't that what America (and Canada, and the EU, et al) is all about?
sure as far as i know B)
Old 6/8/04, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

hey i just found this article about ford model u concept car

http://www.h2cars.biz/artman/publish/article_71.shtml
Old 6/8/04, 05:45 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you guys understand that hydrogen is energy negative?

That is you can't pump hydrogen out of the ground like crude oil and natural gas. You have to make hydrogen, which takes energy. You have to burn oil, natural gas or nuclear to make hydrogen.

The answer is NO. Hydrogen is a scam, just like electric cars are.

Quick Reply: Hydro-Powered Stang