2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

This car is a heat score!

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/05, 11:12 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess committing a felony is not a good enough reason...
Old 3/3/05, 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Mountie was just doing his job . Think of all the times in your driving career when you were speeding or doing something stupid and didn't get caught. Those were pure luck and every once in a while we get a ticket. It all averages out and is a good reality check. Maybe you needed it and it will make you a wiser person. Don't dwell on it or the cop, take a good look at the person you see in the mirror. End of sermon ,pass the collection plate, please.
Old 3/3/05, 01:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 3RD1@March 3, 2005, 12:51 AM
...The only ticket I ever got was five years ago. I was written up for doing 34 mph in a 30 mph zone...
That cop must have been having a REALLY bad day to write you for 34 in a 30. Some speedometers are off that much. Did the judge at least reduce your fine?
Old 3/3/05, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by DiamondBlue+March 3, 2005, 12:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiamondBlue @ March 3, 2005, 12:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Ratchet1333@March 3, 2005, 12:33 PM
As I stated in an earlier post, I run tags all the time. We have a multiple tag function on our computers so I could sit at a light and enter a number of tags at once and get a return on all of them at the same time. I don't do that, but I could. If I run a tag on a car, for no reason, and it returns as a stolen vehicle then I would not be able to stop that vehicle, right? If I had no reason to run the tag in the first place? I do have to have a reason to stop you. If I run a tag, for no reason, and it doesn't return correctly, that is my reason.
You'd better make up a reason for why you ran the tag in the first place, or it would never hold up in court. Of course there are plenty of unverifiable reasons, "acting suspiciously", "erratic driving", "no turn signal", etc. that can be made up.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry it took so long to reply, had to get to work to run some tags.

I also wanted to get this info...

Q. Can I run random checks on car tags without reasonable suspicion of criminal activity?

A. Yes. The state requires vehicle owners to purchase tags, place them on the back of the vehicle and make sure they are visible. The state’s purpose in doing are the strong state interests in promoting highway safety, removing unregistered vehicles and unlicensed drivers from the highways, and to deter the theft of motor vehicles. There is no expectation of privacy to the numbers displayed on a license plate, and no driver can reasonably expect that police officers will not check the validity of the registration. City of Rocky River v. Saleh, 139 Ohio App.3d 313, 327, 743 N.E.2d 944 (2000); State v. Donis, 157 N.J. 44, 54-55, 723 A.2d 35 (1998); State v. Parks, 288 N.J.Super, 407, 410, 672 A.2d 742 (1996).
Old 3/3/05, 01:45 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

Ratchet, I love to see case citing when making your point. I think its the one semester of pre law I did, LOL!
Old 3/3/05, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, and I thought some of the other posts were fascinating. I have to say one thing though.....I am very proud of the vast majority who contributed to this post, who didn't let a bias for 300 hp Mustangs overcome common sense and a condemnation for those of us who are just doing our jobs.

Yup, I too drive a Crown Vic once in awhile. But, like all the other cops on the site (and probably most of you for that matter), I'm fair and call 'em like I see 'em. And I even have a sense of humour so no offence was taken at some of the comments 'cause if you want to know what frustration and being pissed off at the system is all about, ask a cop. We occasionally vent too!!

So.....let's have fun and enjoy what Ford's built for us.....moderatly of course
Old 3/3/05, 01:59 PM
FR500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by afcop13@March 2, 2005, 9:32 PM
1. You were doing 120 in a what,........70 mph zone. Yeah, just barely 50 over the LEGAL limit. Geez, you can't see that as being stupid?

2. Yes, there are cops that are ******. There are doctors who are, teachers who are, waiters who are, etc.

3. 90-95% of cops don't really care much about you speeding and aren't looking to give you a speeding ticket, even when they do pull you over. They want to run your license, hoping for a bigger bust. MOST will give you a warning as long as you weren't TOTALLY disregarding the legal limits. In your case, you WERE totally disregarding the limit. You got what you deserved, if you don't think so, then go to court to see the judge laugh at you.

4. Yep, I've done 120 in my car on the interstate. Didn't get caught. Just luck I suppose, but I certainly knew that if I did get caught, it would cost me a pretty penny.

5. If you can't afford the ticket, don't do 120. Don't gripe about the cop, when you were clearly in the wrong. Even if you were being profiled. Profiling OBVIOUSLY works.
It was 120km/h ya dumba**
Old 3/3/05, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Big D+March 3, 2005, 3:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Big D @ March 3, 2005, 3:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-afcop13@March 2, 2005, 9:32 PM
1. You were doing 120 in a what,........70 mph zone. Yeah, just barely 50 over the LEGAL limit. Geez, you can't see that as being stupid?

2. Yes, there are cops that are ******. There are doctors who are, teachers who are, waiters who are, etc.

3. 90-95% of cops don't really care much about you speeding and aren't looking to give you a speeding ticket, even when they do pull you over. They want to run your license, hoping for a bigger bust. MOST will give you a warning as long as you weren't TOTALLY disregarding the legal limits. In your case, you WERE totally disregarding the limit. You got what you deserved, if you don't think so, then go to court to see the judge laugh at you.

4. Yep, I've done 120 in my car on the interstate. Didn't get caught. Just luck I suppose, but I certainly knew that if I did get caught, it would cost me a pretty penny.

5. If you can't afford the ticket, don't do 120. Don't gripe about the cop, when you were clearly in the wrong. Even if you were being profiled. Profiling OBVIOUSLY works.
It was 120km/h ya dumba**
[/b][/quote]
We figured that out about 70 posts ago.
Old 3/3/05, 02:02 PM
FR500 Member

lmao my bad was just reading and got annoyed...
Old 3/3/05, 02:31 PM

I strongly suggest that any of the readers and/or posters on this thread that think law enforcement officials are crooked law breakers contact their local law enforcement agency of choice. Ask them if they allow "ride-alongs" and if they do, ask for one on a Friday or Saturday night. It is a real eye-opener. Even in very small town, you'd be very surprised what you will see in a mere 8 hours.
My Dad spent 4 years on the local force and my neighbor recently was medically retired after he was rear-ended while sitting on the shoulder of a highway after stopping someone for doing 84 in a 65. The guy who rear-ended him was DWI (same as DUI) and my neighbor had personally arrested him for DWI twice before. The guy hit him going over 80 mph. It put the rear bumper of the cworn vic up against the back of the cage. Thankfully the car didn't catch on fire.

Now, what do these two stories have to do with this thread? Several things...
1) Until you walk a mile in a peace officers shoes, it's hard to criticize them.
2) Our law enforcement officers do a very tough job, one that not everyone is cut out to do. The vast majority of these people do their jobs very well and receive very little thanks for it. They are protecting us, whether you realize it or not.
3) If my neighbor hadn't been on the side of that highway with the person doing 84mph, he would have never been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sort of a cause and effect thing. The speeder didn't directly hurt anyone, but his actions put a police officer with 18 years of service in the hostpital for 5 weeks and ended up costing him his career that he loved.
Old 3/3/05, 02:45 PM
FR500 Member

wow u make some good points...like everything in life there are good and bad things, and if u get caught dont blame the cop for seeing u breaking the law...what do u expect him just to let u go...thats not his job. Thats like putting together a mustang without a ball joint...its stupid and can get somebody killed...
Old 3/3/05, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I for one understand what he's trying to say about being singled out. When I moved to Victoria in the mid 80's I had a '70 BOSS 302. I got pulled over 6 times in 2 days!!! No tickets....just a bunch of harassment!!! I had one cop measure my traction bars with a twig on the side of the road while the car was on a hill !!! The last time they stopped me my father was in the car and the cop said that it would be a good idea for me to sell the car if I didn't want to be constantly "watched" . The only ticket I ever got in that car was for.... ready for this????....MISS-USE OF HEADLIGHTS!!!! :angry: I never did pay that ticket. My father and I went to city hall the next day and raised heck with the mayor. I did eventually sell the car....too bad .... So I know ALL about the BS the local cops pull !! It wouldn't surprise me if he was in the Langford area of Victoria!! So I don't condone "breaking the law", but there are other issues here...It almost sounds to me like this cop was a little jelous....sad really.
Old 3/3/05, 04:10 PM
GT Member

you know, when cops pull things like that, you can report them. Most times I've been pulled over , the LEO was nice as heck, and I've gotten more warnings than tickets, despite my leadfoot. However, I was also tailed for several miles by a cop near my college at UMKC - I went to a neaby bar with some friends in the afternoon, and was only there for maybe 20 min. When we left, the cop was outside, facing where my car was parked, his car turned off. When we all left, he turned the car on, and decided to follow me (my buddies went in different directions, the cop actually had to pull a U-ie) he followed me from an area outside his jurisdiction, through all of campus, and for a while after his jurisdiction ended again - now that was uncalled for, and very annoying, even if he didn't pull me over. You better believe I reported that guy! (And lots of ppl don't think reporting a cop does anything, but trust me, when a cop gets a number of complaints against him for similar stupid things, his superiors WILL take notice)
P.S.- just so theres no confusion, UMKC cops are KCPD who just drive UMKC cars, and report only to the college.
Old 3/3/05, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by flight96@March 3, 2005, 3:49 PM
MISS-USE OF HEADLIGHTS!!!!
How exactly do you misuse your headlights?
Old 3/3/05, 05:04 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

I am guessing here, but flashing brights???
Old 3/3/05, 05:21 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
****Warning to all about to read my post and can't seem to read or figure out where canada is on the map...... Speeds are in KM!****

Oh man sorry to hear about the jerkwaud...
I can back you up ...
120 in a 100 is NOT that fast.

On the QEW highway in Ontario, 120 is like the normal speed everyone seems to go now. People slow down TO 120 to avoid getting hit by certain traps
And most of the time the traffic is flowing nicely at 120, with people doing 120-140 in the fast lane.

ON the 400 series highways, specifically the 400,
MAN...no wonder they call it the Daytona400....
You'll get passed going 130-140...that place is a racetrack!

Original Sin, you a cop
Nice
Old 3/3/05, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

[quote=exc911ence,March 2, 2005, 10:05 PM]
-It was an 80 kph zone which, IMO, is a ridiculous speed for a 4 lane divided highway.
-If pedestrians want to cross a highway at 9:30pm, they deserve to get hit. OK, not really but you catch my drift.
-I'm sure that the 05 GT at 120kph is still safer than the majority of cars doing 80kph in the same circimstances. I bet my car was being driven safer than the Taurus ghost car that obviously had to exceed my rate of speed to catch up to me.
-I wasn't disputing that I didn't break the law, I was commenting that I was singled out due to the type of car that I choose to own and that is discrimination whether I end up breaking the law or not. I paid the ticket this afternoon, by the way.
-There's MUCH worse driving infractions than speeding but the police are too lazy to enforce them. Speeding? That's no no-brainer to enforce, especially when the speed limits are set artificially low.
[/quote

Now the truth is coming out. First of all, our 100 Series highways are mostly 100-110 kmh. [60-65 miles an hour] Usually if there is quite a distance between exits, with no houses, or people, they are 120 kmh. and the law won't bother you. Reason is, your out in the boonies, away from the population. When you push it to 120 out of these areas, your treading on very thin ice. 80 kmh's in a 120. that's 40 over. If it's an 80 zone, that's quite a difference. I bet there's houses close by. Hence the 80. O, and let me see, pedestrians deserve to get hit at 9:30 pm. Sound like you have a lot of growing up to do. I lost a 5 year old cousin, many years ago, on account of someone with the same attitude as yours, and pretty well under the same circumstances. With a comment like that, you're putting out the wrong message for some of those younger people who have an 05 mustang.

Also, with a comment like that, it tells me your not very mature.

Now thats what I call the taxpayers money working.

I hope the fine was excessive. I also hope you got air bags. down the road I think you'll need them! Kudos to the cop! Job very well done. :nono:
Old 3/3/05, 05:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

I do this all the time, I don't understand why some people think the speed limit is the lower of the posted speed limit and the speed of the cop driving. It's not illegal to pass a cop.
I don't get it either.

Another thing that I don't understand is watching people pass me when I'm doing 70. They see a cop, slow down, and then drive the next 10 miles at 60 mph. Like somehow that is going to make up for speeding...
Old 3/3/05, 06:20 PM

Quoted of Conundrum

"2. Modern cars are capable of much higher safe speeds than their '30s ancesters."

True! And today tires are better than ever. However todays drivers are no better than their 1930s ancestors.
Old 3/3/05, 06:31 PM
GT Member

Merlot- Im sorry for your loss, but why was a 5 year old crossing a highway? If it was a different set of circumstances, please elaborate, but I can't get my head around that one. I choose the middle of the road path on this one, since I don't know how your highways are up there, but around here, even when highways run through and near residential areas, its VERY hard for pedestrians to get onto the highway. big tall concrete guardrails, steep hills and other devices are implemented to keep that from happening. Around my neck of the woods, if someone got hit by a car while crossing the highway, I doubt there'd be much sympathy for them; and if it was a little kid, I for one would be wondering where the kid's parents were. Again, not trying to diminish your loss at all, just wondering how that could have happened.

Quick Reply: This car is a heat score!