2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

This car is a heat score!

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/05, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting story. I was at a gas station last night filling the beast up and when I left, this crappy old Taurus followed me out. I thought nothing of it so I accelerated up to a comfortable cruising speed which happened to be 120kph. Not too excessive on a 4 lane divided highway with light traffic. Anyway, the Taurus catches up to me and the lights go off on his sunvisor (sneaky) and he pulls me over. He told me that he saw me filling up and decided to pull in and wait in order to follow me to see how I drove. Well, he wasn't too impressed with my "reckless disregard for the speed limit and public safety" so he wrote me up for the full meal deal. The marked cruiser rolled up a few minutes later and the two gabbed awhile while I waited. So I get my ticket and the cop tells me that they look out for cars like mine so drive slower. Hmm... a sphincter says what? Anyway, I finally got to leave and fumed all the way home. What the heck was so bad about what I was doing? There was no one around and it was late at night. Why don't these ****** try to re-educate the drivers that don't signal, hog the left lane, cut people off without shoulder checking, run stop signs, etc??? I need to move to the magical land of no speed limits... Montana, here I come!

EDIT: I guess I'm not going to Montana after all...
Old 3/2/05, 08:00 PM

Every profession has its share of jerks...but it seems like the criminal justice field has way more than any other.
Old 3/2/05, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speed is regulated in cities for the purpose of pedestrian safety and moving traffic safely and there are usually certain areas in cities that require a restricted speed limit due primarily to the high volume of accidents. If you drove 10 over the speed limit you probably would have been safe. I can't say that I am impressed with the guy following you into the gas station and waiting it gives the rest of us a bad name.

As far as driving fast late at night you have to realize that its harder to see pedestrians at night. Most pedestrians do not were bright colors that say "here I am please stop!" Also the faster you drive the harder it is for your eyes to scan the road for pedestrians, stray animals and vehicles pulling out of side streets. All of us that have muscle cars realize that we are targets for enforcement...even police officers that have mustangs.

Ray Spencer
Constable
Edmonton, Alberta
Old 3/2/05, 08:08 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lordalhays@March 2, 2005, 10:03 PM
Every profession has its share of jerks...but it seems like the criminal justice field has way more than any other.
power trips

:bang:
Old 3/2/05, 08:14 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you exceed the posted speed limit, you are breaking a law, not sure what you are complaining about. The guy is doing his job.
Old 3/2/05, 08:16 PM
GT Member

gotta be observant! I was going about 55mph in a 45 through a school zone (mid day so no kids were out) when I spotted a LEO about to raise his radar gun. I managed to slow it down to a little under 50 before he had it pointed at me.
Old 3/2/05, 08:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Quite frankly I don't and won't pull over for an unmarked car & I don't recommend you do it either especially in a nice new Mustang. I suggest you put on your hazard lights and drive the speed limit to the local police station. Even call 911 and let them know what is happening. Last year there were a few incidents where people were pulled over by fake cops with lights and sirens, one guy was even murdered. If the officer is and sort of a real officer he'll understand and you can explain away those manuevers you did to evade him. Better safe than sorry!
Old 3/2/05, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Mas35NYR@March 2, 2005, 9:21 PM
Quite frankly I don't and won't pull over for an unmarked car & I don't recommend you do it either especially in a nice new Mustang. I suggest you put on your hazard lights and drive the speed limit to the local police station. Even call 911 and let them know what is happening. Last year there were a few incidents where people were pulled over by fake cops with lights and sirens, one guy was even murdered. If the officer is and sort of a real officer he'll understand and you can explain away those manuevers you did to evade him. Better safe than sorry!
If you do that, I would recommend calling 911 immediately. That should patch you into the state police dispatch. Otherwise they may think you are evading them and you may have 5-6 police cars behind you, and I am sure they won't be all that friendly either.
Old 3/2/05, 08:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1+March 2, 2005, 9:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ March 2, 2005, 9:24 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Mas35NYR@March 2, 2005, 9:21 PM
If you do that, I would recommend calling 911 immediately. That should patch you into the state police dispatch. Otherwise they may think you are evading them and you may have 5-6 police cars behind you, and I am sure they won't be all that friendly either.
[/b][/quote]

LOL at that point when there are 5-6 police cars behind you it's pretty safe to say it's time to pull over, as I'm sure one of those 5-6 cruisers will be marked.

Just a quick article I pulled up:
http://www.christiansciencemonitor.com/200...p02s02-usju.htm
Old 3/2/05, 08:29 PM
Cobra R Member

He is complaining about the cops being jerks, and watching him just cause he has a fast car. They wouldnt have followed him out of the gas station if he had a toyota or honda is what I think the cop was telling him. So yes If they are looking at a particular car or race cars or flashy cars to try and get tickets, when a honda or toyota is out there doing a 120 with his rice rocket and kills someone. I think it would be better to just go do your job not profile people because of the car, so meanwhile he follows around nice cars to try and ticket them, while the toyota guy just killed someone, maybe the mustang was going to go fast maybe not, but what the heck. That is what he is complaining about, that is not why these policemen get paid.
Old 3/2/05, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

1. You were doing 120 in a what,........70 mph zone. Yeah, just barely 50 over the LEGAL limit. Geez, you can't see that as being stupid?

2. Yes, there are cops that are ******. There are doctors who are, teachers who are, waiters who are, etc.

3. 90-95% of cops don't really care much about you speeding and aren't looking to give you a speeding ticket, even when they do pull you over. They want to run your license, hoping for a bigger bust. MOST will give you a warning as long as you weren't TOTALLY disregarding the legal limits. In your case, you WERE totally disregarding the limit. You got what you deserved, if you don't think so, then go to court to see the judge laugh at you.

4. Yep, I've done 120 in my car on the interstate. Didn't get caught. Just luck I suppose, but I certainly knew that if I did get caught, it would cost me a pretty penny.

5. If you can't afford the ticket, don't do 120. Don't gripe about the cop, when you were clearly in the wrong. Even if you were being profiled. Profiling OBVIOUSLY works.
Old 3/2/05, 08:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by exc911ence@March 2, 2005, 7:44 PM
I need to move to the magical land of no speed limits... Montana, here I come!
Sorry to burst your dream but Montana has had speed limits since 1999. They also had to abide by the National Speed Limit which was in effect from 1974 to 1995! But even when they had a Reasonable and Prudent speed limit, it was only during the daytime...nighttime (which is when you got your ticket?) had a limit of 55!!!

http://www.us-highways.com/montana/mtspeed.htm

http://www.motorists.com/pressreleases/montana.html
Old 3/2/05, 08:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by afcop13@March 2, 2005, 10:32 PM
1. You were doing 120 in a what,........70 mph zone. Yeah, just barely 50 over the LEGAL limit. Geez, you can't see that as being stupid?

2. Yes, there are cops that are ******. There are doctors who are, teachers who are, waiters who are, etc.

3. 90-95% of cops don't really care much about you speeding and aren't looking to give you a speeding ticket, even when they do pull you over. They want to run your license, hoping for a bigger bust. MOST will give you a warning as long as you weren't TOTALLY disregarding the legal limits. In your case, you WERE totally disregarding the limit. You got what you deserved, if you don't think so, then go to court to see the judge laugh at you.

4. Yep, I've done 120 in my car on the interstate. Didn't get caught. Just luck I suppose, but I certainly knew that if I did get caught, it would cost me a pretty penny.

5. If you can't afford the ticket, don't do 120. Don't gripe about the cop, when you were clearly in the wrong. Even if you were being profiled. Profiling OBVIOUSLY works.
He's in Canada 120 kph is about 75 miles per hour.
Old 3/2/05, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by afcop13@March 2, 2005, 9:32 PM

Note: He was only doing about 75mph. Crazy metric-lovers...
Old 3/2/05, 08:38 PM
FR500 Member

120 kph, not mph
Old 3/2/05, 08:38 PM

He didn't say what the speed limit on the road was though...
Old 3/2/05, 08:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

He was doing 120 KPH, not MPH. That's about 73 mph.

Montana is not the land of no speed limits anymore :notnice:
Old 3/2/05, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by exc911ence+March 2, 2005, 8:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(exc911ence @ March 2, 2005, 8:44 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> I accelerated up to a comfortable cruising speed which happened to be 120kph. Not too excessive on a 4 lane divided highway with light traffic. [/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-afcop13
@March 2, 2005, 9:32 PM
1. You were doing 120 in a what,........70 mph zone. Yeah, just barely 50 over the LEGAL limit. Geez, you can't see that as being stupid?[/quote]

He said kph.
KpH to MPH:
120 = 74.52

Not that fast.
Old 3/2/05, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

oops.... man, yall are fast!
Old 3/2/05, 08:41 PM

Okay, we got the units of measurement.