Old 3/2/05, 08:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1@March 2, 2005, 9:44 PM
Okay, we got the units of measurement.
Old 3/2/05, 08:43 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Redfire 05Gt+March 2, 2005, 8:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redfire 05Gt @ March 2, 2005, 8:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-exc911ence@March 2, 2005, 7:44 PM
I need to move to the magical land of no speed limits... Montana, here I come!
Sorry to burst your dream but Montana has had speed limits since 1999. [/b][/quote]

True, but they're also the land of the pay on the spot.... I like that
Old 3/2/05, 08:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am really glad to see that I am not the only one sticking up for cops these days (If you will remember a certain thread awhile back...). No offense, but you broke the law, and you did it willingly, so I don't understand why you got so pissed about getting caught. So he followed you because cars like yours tend to drive faster. Seems you proved him right. Now if he had a bad attitude, I am sorry, because that would make (and has made) me mad too.

Every profession has it's share of bad apples, and Law Enforcement is no different, but what people don't understand is that Cops see the worst people have to offer on a daily basis, so their main concern is keeping them, and you safe. And that includes making sure drivers are obeying the posted speed limit. And there is only one way for Cops to make a change to the bad drivers you stated: that is to pull them over, give them tickets/warnings, and get them into the system (and hopefully into a driving school, at least you can here in IL).

So I am sorry you had a bad experience, and while you can complain about his attitude, you can't complain about your getting a ticket, it was your choice to drive that fast. If it really bothers you, take it up with his superior officer, or in court (if you have a court date).

On another note, the whole English/Metric thing reminds me of an early season Cubs game from last year:
Steve Stone "And that homer flew for 365 feet."
Chip Caray "Since this game is being broadcast overseas, we should probably convert that for them. How many meters was that?"
Steve Stone "Uh...8."
Chip Caray "...you are the Master of the Metric System."
Old 3/2/05, 08:56 PM

120kph is not very fast for the speed limit that I assume would be there (estimating 100kph is average). Many would do 140kph in day with easy traffic, but it's more likely to get a ticket if you're driving alone, because of no flow of traffic to go with.

Now here's essentially why I think the cop gave you the ticket.

You live in VICTORIA. Excluding you, obviously, the drivers are very, very slow, and will always do the speed limit or below. I think he was just shocked to see someone actually going a little bit faster than the posted speed limit!
If you lived in Vancouver like I do, if you were doing 120kph in a 100kph speed zone, a cop wouldn't waste his time.
Old 3/2/05, 08:58 PM

2 things here...
First, don't do the crime if you can't spend the dime (or do the time, whatever the case).
Second, more often than not your attitude determines the officer's attitude.
Old 3/2/05, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

-It was an 80 kph zone which, IMO, is a ridiculous speed for a 4 lane divided highway.
-If pedestrians want to cross a highway at 9:30pm, they deserve to get hit. OK, not really but you catch my drift.
-I'm sure that the 05 GT at 120kph is still safer than the majority of cars doing 80kph in the same circimstances. I bet my car was being driven safer than the Taurus ghost car that obviously had to exceed my rate of speed to catch up to me.
-I wasn't disputing that I didn't break the law, I was commenting that I was singled out due to the type of car that I choose to own and that is discrimination whether I end up breaking the law or not. I paid the ticket this afternoon, by the way.
-There's MUCH worse driving infractions than speeding but the police are too lazy to enforce them. Speeding? That's no no-brainer to enforce, especially when the speed limits are set artificially low.
Old 3/2/05, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@March 2, 2005, 9:17 PM
If you exceed the posted speed limit, you are breaking a law, not sure what you are complaining about. The guy is doing his job.
I agree....

However if the police officer followed him from the gas station and out to the highway because of the car he's driving...
That's called entrapment. <spelling>

It's just like the stories you hear about when law enforcement wait outside bars to find drunks... that's illegal... in the U.S. anyway.
Old 3/2/05, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by exc911ence@March 2, 2005, 10:05 PM
-It was an 80 kph zone which, IMO, is a ridiculous speed for a 4 lane divided highway.
-If pedestrians want to cross a highway at 9:30pm, they deserve to get hit. OK, not really but you catch my drift.
-I'm sure that the 05 GT at 120kph is still safer than the majority of cars doing 80kph in the same circimstances. I bet my car was being driven safer than the Taurus ghost car that obviously had to exceed my rate of speed to catch up to me.
-I wasn't disputing that I didn't break the law, I was commenting that I was singled out due to the type of car that I choose to own and that is discrimination whether I end up breaking the law or not. I paid the ticket this afternoon, by the way.
-There's MUCH worse driving infractions than speeding but the police are too lazy to enforce them. Speeding? That's no no-brainer to enforce, especially when the speed limits are set artificially low.
Oh, then that is a pretty fast speed to be going if it was 80kph. But that's Victoria for you. You're right about them being artifically low, that's for sure
Old 3/2/05, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

In parts of Alberta and Ontario (even here, just north of Nanaimo, BC), 110kph is the limit for a 4 lane divided highway. 80kph is ludicrous!
Old 3/2/05, 09:12 PM

yeah it is for sure. But that doesn't make up a very good excuse to say to the cop. darn mounties, when will they STOP wearing that stupid uniform!!?
Old 3/2/05, 09:27 PM

Up here in Edmonton Alberta we have cops in unmarked cars going thru red lights at 140 km/hr in 70 km zones without using the Xmass lights. One resulting collision tore a car in half, ignitiing it, cremating a child inside and severlly burning the other 3 occupants. It took 18 months before the forementioned cop was charged, instead of the usual 18 seconds. He told the court He was speeding, "but I was being careful" I can't wait to say that the next time I get pulled over for speeding!

As for being singled out, don't feel too bad. Here in Edmonton the cops recently were caught staking out a jouralist and a police commission chairman who have been critical of the actions and attitudes of Edmonton Police Service. They have 7 or 8 cops involved in watching inside the bar or waiting outside down the street to try and catch them DUI. The radio transcripts reveal some cops saying they were creaming their pants at the though of busting these guys.

Sung to Bad Boys: Bad Cops bad cops, bad cops bad cops. What's you gonna do when they come for you? Bad cops bad cops.
Old 3/2/05, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TN615+March 2, 2005, 10:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TN615 @ March 2, 2005, 10:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-holderca1@March 2, 2005, 9:17 PM
If you exceed the posted speed limit, you are breaking a law, not sure what you are complaining about. The guy is doing his job.
I agree....

However if the police officer followed him from the gas station and out to the highway because of the car he's driving...

It's just like the stories you hear about when law enforcement wait outside bars to find drunks... that's illegal... in the U.S. anyway.
[/b][/quote]

"That's called profilin....... and profilins wrong." Ron White

und beofre i git flmed i cun spel profiling.
Old 3/2/05, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by holderca1@March 2, 2005, 10:17 PM

I think he's complaining because the cop said he looks out for cars such as ours, which is unfair, because people can speed in 4 cylinder's too.
Old 3/2/05, 09:49 PM
GT Member

Everyone who has told the poor bastard he got what he deserved, don't do the crime, etc. - come the heck on! You saints are telling me you don't speed?! You bought a car that does 145, and never go more than 65 in it? I swear, you ppl are either grandmothers or in serious denial. I've seen so many of you merciless characters telling ppl not to whine or similar cliches every time a guy tells a story about getting caught speeding. you realy think he didn't know he was breaking the law? is it possible you think he was unaware that 120kph is greater than 80? you should be posting in the ford PINTO forums! We bought fast cars - heck, you could get a ticket just for looking as fast as most of you do in them! If you don't pity him, fine - but quit rubbin his nose in it!. Exc911ence - I for one feel for ya - and some ppl bring a good point to the table - its hard to trust UC cops - on the worst side of the scale, they're really psychopaths trying to pull you over and mug/kill you, and on the best side of the scale they're cops who on more than one occassion have caused death and injury with their own recklessness (and maybe forgetting they're not in their regular cruiser?) I'd be wary of pulling over for one, too, especially something as unusual as an old taurus with lights ON THE VISOR?! at any rate, its too bad you got popped, even worse than the guy waited like a snake to catch you - thats low. nothing against cops in general, I've met a lot of them, most are as nice as anyone, but when you get a jerk, BOY are they jerks!
Old 3/2/05, 09:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Ok first of all, speeding is one of the leading causes for traffic fatalites (about 1/3 of the 40,000 a year in the U.S.-from the National Safety Council). Second, no, that is not entrapment. Entrapment is when an officer convinces/talks you into doing something you wouldn't normally do, then busting you for it. Why would it be illegal for Cops to wait outside the bar for drunks? If they get in their car and drive off, and the Cops bust them, that's drunk driving, plain and simple. I live in a college town (I am a student), and the mere presence of the Cops outside the bar at closing keeps many stupid people from doing many stupid things.

And no, I am not saying I don't speed, and I have been busted for it, but there are other ways to go about dealing with it than this.
Old 3/2/05, 10:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Cthulhu@March 2, 2005, 10:52 PM
its hard to trust UC cops - on the worst side of the scale, they're really psychopaths trying to pull you over and mug/kill you, and on the best side of the scale they're cops who on more than one occassion have caused death and injury with their own recklessness
Is this really necessary, or even remotely true. :notnice:
Old 3/2/05, 10:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also liked the "safety" line. That's a load. Speeding is NOT even in the top three for causes of accidents. But it VERY MUCH is the number item inforced. Why? Because it is so darn easy for cops to run radar and laser and write up $50-$100 tickets about one every 5 minutes or so on the right road.

I remember the debates in state legislatures when the Federally mandated 55 mph speed limit was lifted. Were they crying about how many people would be killed with the increased speed? Were they worried about how much worse the accidents would be at the increased speed? No. The very first thing that came out of all their mouths was "It will cost us X millions of dollars per year in lost REVENUE!" There were a few groups worried about the increased safety risk, but that was definitely not the issues on our dear elected leaders minds.

And yes, they DO set the speed limits lower than they should be so they can increase the tax flow. Oh well. We keep voting these idiots in, so I guess it is still our fault.
Old 3/2/05, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by stoic21+March 2, 2005, 10:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stoic21 @ March 2, 2005, 10:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by TN615@March 2, 2005, 10:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-holderca1
@March 2, 2005, 9:17 PM

I agree....

"That's called profilin....... and profilins wrong." Ron White

und beofre i git flmed i cun spel profiling.
[/b][/quote]

It's called Entrapment... look it up.
Old 3/2/05, 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by bigred0383@March 2, 2005, 11:01 PM
Why would it be illegal for Cops to wait outside the bar for drunks? If they get in their car and drive off, and the Cops bust them, that's drunk driving, plain and simple.
I'm not going to get into an argument here, maybe you should ask a lawyer if you need some sort of validation.
Better yet, why don't you head down to or call your local Clerk of Courts Office and ask a secretary, they can explaine it to you.
Old 3/2/05, 10:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by bigred0383+March 2, 2005, 11:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigred0383 @ March 2, 2005, 11:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Cthulhu@March 2, 2005, 10:52 PM
its hard to trust UC cops - on the worst side of the scale, they're really psychopaths trying to pull you over and mug/kill you, and on the best side of the scale they're cops who on more than one occassion have caused death and injury with their own recklessness
Is this really necessary, or even remotely true. :notnice:
[/b][/quote]

Are you serious? You obviously didn't read the link I posted so here it is again and and a few lines from it:
http://www.christiansciencemonitor.com/200...p02s02-usju.htm
"Recent incidents
Despite attempts to try to stem the tide, people keep posing as police officers. Last month, on Long Island, there were two separate robberies, one of which included a murder, by men posing as police officers. In Arizona late last year, there was a spate of robberies, as well as inappropriate touching of a motorist, by fake cops."

So yes it's real and yes it does happen.
BTW I have member of my family who are MOS (NYPD ESU & Brooklyn Narc South) plus I am off to Fla. to interview for a BSO position this March(so I'm not a cop hater).
Wish me luck I can't stand this cold & snow anymore!

Quick Reply: This car is a heat score!