2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Any Manual Owners Wish They'd Chose Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/05, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I chose the manual for a couple of reasons.......

My new Satin Silver '05 is not my daily driver. Those honors go to my '04 F-150 Lariat 4x4.

There's nothing quite like the sound of going up through the gears in this thing. It's intoxicating! I've only hammered 2nd gear a couple of times since getting her on Jan. 3rd, but she will lay down some serious rubber. I just love that stuff. As good as these new automatics can be, for me there's nothing quite like rowing your own!
Old 1/7/05, 04:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Clem@January 7, 2005, 4:46 PM

There's nothing quite like the sound of going up through the gears in this thing. It's intoxicating! I've only hammered 2nd gear a couple of times since getting her on Jan. 3rd, but she will lay down some serious rubber. I just love that stuff. As good as these new automatics can be, for me there's nothing quite like rowing your own!
Great 1st post !
Old 1/7/05, 04:12 PM
GT Member

Driving a manual requires the driver to be more aware; you can't just "zone out" in traffic like you can with an automatic. You have to be aware of what gear your in, use the clutch, etc. The driver really has to drive. Automatics give people the opportunity to daydream and do other things besides pay attention to their driving.

I honestly think that my years of driving my own cars with a manual transmission in SF Bay area traffic has helped me avoid accidents because I had to be aware, not talk on the cellphone, eat lunch, or read the newspaper while crawling in rush hour traffic.
Old 1/7/05, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Great 1st post !

Thanks Rob!

2nd Post = Dud!
Old 1/7/05, 05:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

I don't think this car allows drivers to "zone out" as you put it, regardless of what tranny is in it....We're all too busy holding on for dear life and watching the speedo as it rips through the gears.....
Old 1/7/05, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Well the main thing is no matter what transmission we get, they are both great. And it's a matter of personal choice, manual or automatic, they both kick hiney. So we should all be happy right!
Old 1/7/05, 07:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

you def can't zone out in this car. I find myself pushing 80 when I feel like i'm only doing 55, don't want to see the flashing lights in the rearview...
Old 1/7/05, 11:51 PM
GT Member

I say go with whatever floats your boat!

I personally have driven manual cars the last five years and couldn't go back... unless my left leg falls off.

You can't deny that there's just something cool about shifting your own gears.

But again, there are advantages to both and to each their own!
Old 1/8/05, 12:18 AM
V6 Member

I have a manual as a daily driver now, I have driven rfear wheel drive manual trans cars my whole driving life, I cant imajine doing anything less, trafic jam??? in man... city driving...In man....long distance, man....... to school, man. I think peoplple who buy sports cars with automatics, 1: because they want to, and 2: because they don't know how to drive man.. which is ok , I realy don't want to bash, but I would never buy a V8 auto, sounds dumb to me............however, all you auto v8 out there, I hope you love and enjoy your cars.
Old 9/20/06, 08:14 PM

Manual or Automatic Regrets

Yeah, I went with the automatic. Because I have a '03 Z06 Corvette with a manual 6 speed transmission and really unless it is a 6 speed I don't think it counts as a manual transmission. Why you ask?

1. Well with only 5 gears you really don't have the "feel" of driving the car. After all with 5 gears it more like the car is driving you.

2. Without six gears the driver just does not have the control over the RPMs, etc.. so it is just boring to drive. This leads me to point number 3.

3. Drivers tend to zone out with only a 5 speed to hold their attention.

4. When I race at the track I need a 6 speed to really get around the corners. And you know I am always at the track in world class racing events.

5. Finally, only real sports cars and real sports car drivers have 6 speed manual trans. I don't see how for the life of me that some one could even consider a 5 speed for a sports car (might as well be an automatic). I guess they make the 5 speed for all the old farts and gimps that can't handle the faster 1 - 2 shifting of a 6 speed.

So, based on all the short comings of a the 5 speed manual (real life experience) I decided that an automatic 4 speed is far superior. At least if I am in the old fart, gimp, don't know sports cars, fall asleep at the wheel because of the lack of interaction, being driven by the car crowd I might as well be able to drink a cup of coffee.

I'll save my Z06 for when I want to drive a real sports car with a 6 speed.
Old 9/20/06, 11:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glenns
Yeah, I went with the automatic. Because I have a '03 Z06 Corvette with a manual 6 speed transmission and really unless it is a 6 speed I don't think it counts as a manual transmission. Why you ask?

1. Well with only 5 gears you really don't have the "feel" of driving the car. After all with 5 gears it more like the car is driving you.

2. Without six gears the driver just does not have the control over the RPMs, etc.. so it is just boring to drive. This leads me to point number 3.

3. Drivers tend to zone out with only a 5 speed to hold their attention.

4. When I race at the track I need a 6 speed to really get around the corners. And you know I am always at the track in world class racing events.

5. Finally, only real sports cars and real sports car drivers have 6 speed manual trans. I don't see how for the life of me that some one could even consider a 5 speed for a sports car (might as well be an automatic). I guess they make the 5 speed for all the old farts and gimps that can't handle the faster 1 - 2 shifting of a 6 speed.

So, based on all the short comings of a the 5 speed manual (real life experience) I decided that an automatic 4 speed is far superior. At least if I am in the old fart, gimp, don't know sports cars, fall asleep at the wheel because of the lack of interaction, being driven by the car crowd I might as well be able to drink a cup of coffee.

I'll save my Z06 for when I want to drive a real sports car with a 6 speed.
It depends how you use it. Do you use all 6 speeds in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile. I think not. Post some pics of the Z06.
Old 9/20/06, 11:46 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
A/Ts are for wimps and women.
Old 9/21/06, 01:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

DRIVING AN AUTOMATIC MEANS NEVER HAVING TO SAY "I MISSED 2ND GEAR".

Old 9/21/06, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Glenns, that reasoning about the 5 spd vs the 6 spd makes me think of the 8 minute abs and what happens when someone comes out with the 7 minute abs.....Something About Mary....great movie. If you have to press in the clutch and shift a gear it is a manual. I dont give a rats a*s if it has 2 gears. Manual is manual. I personally have an auto so Im not baching you just stating fact. I ordered a 5 speed but couldnt get it in 05 due to Fords deliveriy issues so I found a auto in 06. Glad I did. I have no complaints. And when someone says "you got an auto??" I tell them to go F themselves. When they start buying my toys they can pick them out for me.
Old 9/21/06, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

GlennS is clearly just a Chevy guy trying to **** off the Mustang crowd.

This is the first Manual I have ever owned, I grew up in NYC, I was set to order it with an auto when my friend with an Audi S4 convinced me to go Manual. After driving this car, I personally would never own a sports car with an auto. Running through the gears is just too much darn fun.

But every time I get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, I certainly understand why someone would go with the auto.
Old 9/21/06, 06:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

I doubt he was trying to p*ss people off. I took him as being sarcastic. Sarcasm doesnt come through well online sometimes. I am a very sarcastic person so I am used to people not understanding. regardless, we are getting sidetracked.
There are times I wish I had a manual but it doesnt do any good since I cant wave a wand and change it.
Old 9/21/06, 06:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
V6-OK. GT- no way. 5 speed of the way baby!
Old 9/21/06, 06:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenns
So, based on all the short comings of a the 5 speed manual (real life experience) I decided that an automatic 4 speed is far superior.
4 speed? Wow, where did you find that one? I love my 5 speed auto!
Old 9/21/06, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Some of us old construction guy's with bad knees, have to drive an auto.
Old 9/21/06, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
A/Ts are for wimps and women.

Bullitt, you should THINK before you type. Perhaps then you would not make such stupid, biased, and absolutely dumb*** remarks. Did it ever occur to you that some of us CAN'T drive a manual due to a physical disability or limitation? Nope, guess it didn't.

Quick Reply: Any Manual Owners Wish They'd Chose Automatic?