2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Any Manual Owners Wish They'd Chose Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/05, 12:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand the "manual in traffic" argument. I live in L.A. and drive all over SoCal (even some Central Cal) and I don't even notice my manual transmission while in traffic. I've been in traffic for hours, about 5-6 hours (San Diego to L.A. during Thanksgiving traffic) and I never wished I had an automatic. I just don't notice it. Now I got rid of my car and drive my company car which is an auto and it's not fun to drive, granted it may not be fun since it's a Nissan Sentra , but I couldn't see myself with anything else but a manual tranny. Not to mention they'll be less people I'll have to turn down when they want to drive my car.

To all the automatic people, good for you. I'm not a diehard manual guy, so I hope it's not taken like that.
Old 1/6/05, 12:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

This is my first manual in twenty years! I used to drive a Ford Econoline with 3 on the tree and that thing freakin blew shifting in traffic. The mustang with a manual is just fun fun fun to drive.
Old 1/6/05, 05:40 AM
GT Member

You people don't understand............I have a manual just for traffic. It's the ONLY exercise I get in the day. My legs look like a running back's legs but my arms look like Hellboy's arms. I always had manuals in my Mustangs (3 so far) and I would not go any other route.
Old 1/6/05, 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was thinking about a manual but the other 3 automatic drivers in my house staged a revolt and I was badly out numbered. B)

They also reminded me about my lower back problems that sometimes cause me to want to cut off my own left leg with a rusty spoon. So it looks like the automatic for me but it's a compromise that I can easily live with.

The point is we all have our reasons for buying these cars and they are all good if they make us happy (Ford would agree with that). Remember we are all in this together, a club, a gang, heck an army of Mustang drivers!

So if you drive a manual that doesn't mean you are 16 years old and race Hondas at every stoplight.

And if you drive an automatic that doesn't mean you are old and don't appreciate high performance automobiles.

So now all you kids go back outside and play nice. And don't make me come out here and tell you again! :nono:
Old 1/6/05, 06:51 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's nice having a wife that prefers a manual. Not that it would really matter, we have more than one vehicle anyway.
Old 1/6/05, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TURBO 05+January 5, 2005, 3:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TURBO 05 @ January 5, 2005, 3:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by mother&country@January 5, 2005, 3:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Domainer
@January 5, 2005, 4:56 PM
I have had both automatics and manuals. And for a sports car, I can't fathom how people can get a sports car and have it automatic ( and have to pay more for it to boot !). With a manual tranny, there is so much more control for the driver. Now that's what I call -Driving ! With a manual, you are driving the car. Automatics the car drives you.

But to each their own I guess.

In Toronto there are plenty of automatic GT's on dealer lots. Salesmen have told me everyone wants a manual transmission and customers scowl at the mustang GT with automatic.. They just don't have people wanting the auto GT and can't sell em for that reason.

FERRARI AND PORSCHE MAKE AUTOMATICS AND YOU CANT GET SPORTIER THEN THAT. SO THE IDEA THAT A SPORTS CAR GOTTA BE MANUAL IS BASICALLY BS.
they make them with auto's for the old farts that can afford them and have no interest in driving them like sport cars. [/b][/quote]
People like you TURBO 05, need to keep your opinions to yourselves if your not going to let them be known respectfully.

I see both sides of the story, I know how to drive manual but I choose to get a Auto. It's more convienent for me, that way incase someone HAS to drive her who doesn't know stick - there's a better chance she won't get wrecked. Along with many other reasons.

You know how ridiculous you guys sound? It's like saying I only use VCRs. I like to rewind the tape for five minutes at the end, and rewinding and fast forwarding to certain scenes in the movies. DVDs are too easy. I like being able to be in control of the movie, not have the movie be in control of me. It keeps me busy. I don't like how DVDs make things 'convienent.' Your just a teenybopper lazy fart if you don't use VHS!!!
Old 1/6/05, 07:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 2Slack@January 5, 2005, 4:52 PM
For those who drive a lot in stop and go traffic on hills, what are your secrets.
A good mechanic (for clutch repairs). I used to drive a stick to work everyday in San Francisco, where driving a stick is a white-knuckle ride! If I still worked in the city, I would definitely go with the auto. Since I now live and work in the 'burbs, I am undecided (stop-and-go traffic, but no hills).
Old 1/6/05, 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Cool

Originally posted by yur1279@January 5, 2005, 3:47 PM
someone wanan teach me to drive a manual? noone here will and i'm not learning on a new car.

Tried that with my 1st wife...burnt out the clutch on truck! (Not to say women can't drive a stick...shoot, I have to keep an eye on wife #2....she likes to hear them spin!)

Jay
Old 1/6/05, 07:41 AM

I normally wouldn't dream of getting an automatic. But I have a better chance convincing the wife to go for a stang if she can drive it too. She refuses to learn. She reminds me every day that she hates my 5 speed jetta and I never should have bought it. Now she has to use the big truck just to rum errands.

I never win. But if it means automatic or no stang I might opt tor the auto.

I am actually starting to think Auto-V6-Vert.
Old 1/6/05, 08:06 AM
V6 Member

Sorry you automatic fans, when I ordered mine, (which I have now), there was not even a thought of getting an automatice. 5 speed all the way, only way to go to truly enjoy one of the icons of America.........

68fuelinjected.....(5 speed also), but I do have an automatice in myTRUCK............................
Old 1/6/05, 08:07 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

You all make me cry like a little girl.
Old 1/6/05, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Unhappy

hmmm...First, I have a 5-speed manual...so I am not a poser B)

I DO have 4 kids and take 2 of them to school everyday....my commute's only 20 mins and we don't have the kind of traffic that big cities have. Down here waiting at a traffic light for more than 2 cycles is considered "heavy traffic"

I like my manual...I got it for several reasons.
This is my first new Mustang (have had others but this is my first new one).
This car has the color/options that I wanted....if it had an auto I would have picked it anyway due to it's options.
I think it adds to the "sportiness" of the car.

BUT...let's get real...
Automatics are better in traffic (used to have a 7 mile / 1 to 1.5 hour commute in the day) anybody who like a manual for that is a masochist.

Lot's of drag racers use auto's or automated manuals (?). The drag bikes I looked at in the fall have no clutch and use an air shifter to zip thru the gears. I guess "technically" the are manual....but once there is no clutch....er.....doesn't that blur the line?
:scratch:
One of the "hot items" in the Cobra Rumor board is some kind of no-clutch, steering wheel paddle controlled gear box (MDX? MMD? something like that).

I have a 5 speed but this " auto's are fo' wimps" is getting as bad as the banned V-6 vs GT thread....or GOD FORBID the "GTO vs. GT" thread...

We ALL own mustangs....who CARES if Racer X has a auto and you think he's a girlie-man...that's not needed. State why YOU purchased what you wanted....and not why Racer X is stupid for not buying what you wanted.
Jeez...
:bang:
Old 1/6/05, 08:14 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Gawd Im a girly....... In my first defense- I can drive the snot out of a manual and love doing it.

In my second defense, I kinda got my hand forced and had to buy now instead of wait till later due to a car accident(And i was not going to get screwed out of a mustang again)- and they only had autos- so mine has every option I wanted but the manual and IUP lite. Right color, right options.....its all good.
Old 1/6/05, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by Lime05owner@January 6, 2005, 9:13 AM
Automatics are better in traffic (used to have a 7 mile / 1 to 1.5 hour commute in the day) anybody who like a manual for that is a masochist.
If it was that bad, I think I would ride my bike to work, would get there faster and actually get a workout too.
Old 1/6/05, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Lime05owner@January 6, 2005, 9:13 AM

We ALL own mustangs....who CARES if Racer X has a auto and you think he's a girlie-man...that's not needed. State why YOU purchased what you wanted....and not why Racer X is stupid for not buying what you wanted.
Jeez...
Huh? Perhaps you are using "Racer X" as a generic term
Anyways, I have nothing against the "auto-'stang", I nearly switched my order when I chipped a bone in my left ankle. While I was waiting for my order, a friend let me try his '04 Mach1 - I stalled it so badly because I could not get the feel with my swollen ankle - I almost wanted to :cry: . My friends and salesman convinced me to stick with the stick...pun inteneded
Old 1/6/05, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by holderca1+January 6, 2005, 9:19 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (holderca1 @ January 6, 2005, 9:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lime05owner@January 6, 2005, 9:13 AM
If it was that bad, I think I would ride my bike to work, would get there faster and actually get a workout too. [/b][/quote]
Sorry...no bikes allowed on interstate...then theres that whole "in shape" thing you keep talking about
Old 1/6/05, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Lime05owner+January 6, 2005, 9:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lime05owner @ January 6, 2005, 9:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by holderca1@January 6, 2005, 9:19 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lime05owner
@January 6, 2005, 9:13 AM

If it was that bad, I think I would ride my bike to work, would get there faster and actually get a workout too.
Sorry...no bikes allowed on interstate...then theres that whole "in shape" thing you keep talking about
[/b][/quote]
I didn't say ride it on the interstate, lol. My job requires I be in shape, so I wouldn't mind it.
Old 1/6/05, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by racerx+January 6, 2005, 9:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (racerx @ January 6, 2005, 9:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lime05owner@January 6, 2005, 9:13 AM

Jeez...
Huh? Perhaps you are using "Racer X" as a generic term
Anyways, I have nothing against the "auto-'stang", I nearly switched my order when I chipped a bone in my left ankle. While I was waiting for my order, a friend let me try his '04 Mach1 - I stalled it so badly because I could not get the feel with my swollen ankle - I almost wanted to :cry: . My friends and salesman convinced me to stick with the stick...pun inteneded [/b][/quote]
Oops...!!! Not you...I am not worth!!
:worship:

Yes...I was using "Racer X" as a "generic description"

Sorry, You have my humble apology....besides I would hate for Speed Racers vanished older brother to be after me....Did you see what he used to do on them 'toons??? He was bad!!

Jay
Old 1/6/05, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Is the auto faster?
Old 1/6/05, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by MustangDan@January 6, 2005, 10:34 AM
Is the auto faster?
They are both governed at the same speed.

Quick Reply: Any Manual Owners Wish They'd Chose Automatic?