2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Any Manual Owners Wish They'd Chose Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/05, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flip side, I don't regret getting my auto. Certainly there's been a time or two where I wished I had the manual, but there's been about twenty times when I've thanked the Lord for my wife saying "no auto, no Mustang". For those who say a stick is the only true way to enjoy the Mustang, you're wrong I truly enjoy mine

Jason
Old 1/6/05, 10:45 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Radman@January 6, 2005, 11:15 AM
Flip side, I don't regret getting my auto. --- For those who say a stick is the only true way to enjoy the Mustang, you're wrong I truly enjoy mine

I second that notion.....

My Stang is great and the new 5R55S auto tranny is SWEET.

Old 1/6/05, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Kellarina+January 6, 2005, 8:02 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kellarina @ January 6, 2005, 8:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TURBO 05@January 5, 2005, 3:17 PM
Originally posted by mother&country@January 5, 2005, 3:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Domainer
@January 5, 2005, 4:56 PM
I have had both automatics and manuals. And for a sports car, I can't fathom how people can get a sports car and have it automatic ( and have to pay more for it to boot !). With a manual tranny, there is so much more control for the driver. Now that's what I call -Driving ! With a manual, you are driving the car. Automatics the car drives you.

But to each their own I guess.

In Toronto there are plenty of automatic GT's on dealer lots. Salesmen have told me everyone wants a manual transmission and customers scowl at the mustang GT with automatic.. They just don't have people wanting the auto GT and can't sell em for that reason.

FERRARI AND PORSCHE MAKE AUTOMATICS AND YOU CANT GET SPORTIER THEN THAT. SO THE IDEA THAT A SPORTS CAR GOTTA BE MANUAL IS BASICALLY BS.

they make them with auto's for the old farts that can afford them and have no interest in driving them like sport cars.
People like you TURBO 05, need to keep your opinions to yourselves if your not going to let them be known respectfully.

I see both sides of the story, I know how to drive manual but I choose to get a Auto. It's more convienent for me, that way incase someone HAS to drive her who doesn't know stick - there's a better chance she won't get wrecked. Along with many other reasons.

You know how ridiculous you guys sound? It's like saying I only use VCRs. I like to rewind the tape for five minutes at the end, and rewinding and fast forwarding to certain scenes in the movies. DVDs are too easy. I like being able to be in control of the movie, not have the movie be in control of me. It keeps me busy. I don't like how DVDs make things 'convienent.' Your just a teenybopper lazy fart if you don't use VHS!!! [/b][/quote]
sorry but i stand by my quote, I autox and road race ( at tracks) and i cant imagine having an auto,I would probebly crash half the time, if you dont have 100% control of the car when you are doing that type of racing then you have no control. Look I am not saying the auto is only for old farts i am just saying it is not for the enthusist driver.
oh yeah and that vcr/dvd story made about as much sence and had about as much relivance as talking about hotdogs on this site, that was the worst analagy I ever heard. Enthusiast drivers dont care for convience they care for control. Imagine taking a hard turn and the car all of a sudden shifts gears on you and throws the rear end out, that would stink... all you would have to do is have a manual and you would be able to control that. As i said before though if you are not an enthusist driver or someone that ever goes to a track then enjoy your auto, and its conviences of letting the car drive you.
btw, i know i am a horible speller so save your time on making fun of that 'cause i dont care B)
Old 1/6/05, 11:58 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Burke0011+January 6, 2005, 1:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Burke0011 @ January 6, 2005, 1:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Radman@January 6, 2005, 11:15 AM
Flip side, I don't regret getting my auto. --- For those who say a stick is the only true way to enjoy the Mustang, you're wrong I truly enjoy mine

[/b][/quote]
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1/6/05, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

any car over 300 hp I want to do the shifting myself.I do not regret the manual at all.
Old 1/6/05, 12:31 PM
GT Member

Test drove both,,,almost chose the auto,,,but then said "what was I thinking?"

Stick it is....... :drive:
Old 1/6/05, 01:16 PM
GT Member

Anyone know why the mileage is so much worse with the auto than with the manual?

On the V6 it drops from 28 mpg highway to 25 mpg with the auto. I would expect maybe a 1 mpg drop, but not 3.

Back in the Bad Old Days of 3-speed autos this would be expected, but a modern 5-speed auto with a lock-up torque converter should be (nearly) as good as a manual on the highway.
Old 1/6/05, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by bison@January 6, 2005, 2:19 PM
Anyone know why the mileage is so much worse with the auto than with the manual?

On the V6 it drops from 28 mpg highway to 25 mpg with the auto. I would expect maybe a 1 mpg drop, but not 3.

Back in the Bad Old Days of 3-speed autos this would be expected, but a modern 5-speed auto with a lock-up torque converter should be (nearly) as good as a manual on the highway.
gearing?, i am not sure but that seems logical
Old 1/6/05, 02:13 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by TURBO 05+January 6, 2005, 2:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TURBO 05 @ January 6, 2005, 2:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-bison@January 6, 2005, 2:19 PM

gearing?, i am not sure but that seems logical[/b][/quote]
Gearing is pretty close; see this thread: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...12573&st=20&hl=
Old 1/6/05, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by mother&country+January 6, 2005, 11:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mother&country @ January 6, 2005, 11:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Burke0011@January 6, 2005, 1:48 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Radman
@January 6, 2005, 11:15 AM

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/b][/quote]
Ya, but you don't wear your seatbelt.
Old 1/6/05, 03:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by TURBO 05@January 6, 2005, 10:43 AM
As i said before though if you are not an enthusist driver or someone that ever goes to a track then enjoy your auto, and its conviences of letting the car drive you.
"Letting The Car Drive You"??? I've got an Automatic......but I don't see anywhere in the owners manual anything pertaining to 'Auto-Pilot'. The Mustang is a pony car/muscle car....... but it is not a 'Sports Car'. I grew up in the Muscle Car Era.....and I've also driven plenty of Sports Cars in my lifetime, and there is a disctinct difference between the two. As I said earlier.....it's like Apples and Oranges as far as handling between Muscle (speed) Cars & Sports (driving) Cars, and heaven forbid that anyone wrap their car around a tree in learning this. I guess it all boils down to what each of us respectively bought our car for. For me it was 2 reasons primarily: (1) The trip back in time with the styling cues used, and (2) The comfort for me at 6'2" and being able to extend my legs out comfortably with plenty of side-to-side footroom. Cheers Mates.....
Old 1/6/05, 04:38 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@January 5, 2005, 4:04 PM
Not as much fun to drive, cant peel off.......
Brake torque that mother! If my car can peel off, yours can too.
Old 1/6/05, 09:16 PM

FERRARI AND PORSCHE MAKE AUTOMATICS AND YOU CANT GET SPORTIER THEN THAT. SO THE IDEA THAT A SPORTS CAR GOTTA BE MANUAL IS BASICALLY BS.

first off they do not sell automatic transmission's they sell what bmw calls "SMG" Sequential Manual Transmission. They are basically a manual transmission with an automated clutch not a torque converter. The reason for doing this is so 1) you don't need to take your hands off the steering wheel since you shift via buttons on the steering wheel 2) Shifts are made faster than any human could do. The Ferrari F430 can shift in as fast as .08 of a second which translates into better performance. 3) You can use what is called launch control. Which is used for createing the fastest and most consistant launches off the line.

I believe you will see more sports cars lean towards this kind of transmission. In fact i know they will since we've first seen it in Ferrari(and Maserati) then Porsche, then BMW, Then lamborghini and now even toyota in the mr2 spider. I would bet that 99% of the people in hear have never drove a car with this type of transmission thererfore they have no room to talk
Old 1/6/05, 09:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GhostTX@January 5, 2005, 3:01 PM
I posted it once, I'll post it again...
Old 1/6/05, 10:07 PM
Cobra R Member

For a split second while heading out to Riverhead L.I., NY stuck in traffic in route to the Lincoln Tunnel... never again
@#%! MapQuest
Old 1/7/05, 03:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Kellarina@January 6, 2005, 8:02 AM
imagine taking a hard turn and the car all of a sudden shifts gears on you and throws the rear end out, that would stink... all you would have to do is have a manual and you would be able to control that.
I was under the impression that with the O/D turned off, you could still "hold" a gear with this automatic (say, second gear in the twisties) by manually selecting it so you don't lose your rear end. Am I missing something here? Please forgive my ignorance if I am. The last auto. I owned was a C6 back in the 80's mated to a 429-4V, so it has been awhile!
Old 1/7/05, 04:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by IWantMyNewGT@January 7, 2005, 7:01 AM
... C6 back in the 80's ...
:scratch: C6 or C3?
Old 1/7/05, 05:20 AM
GT Member

I bought the car for my wife. It's her daily driver and she wanted the automatic transmission. The great thing is that the majority of the 1/4 mile time slips that I have seen on this site have the auto being faster than the stick. Icing on the cake.
Old 1/7/05, 05:42 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Joe L@January 7, 2005, 6:23 AM
I bought the car for my wife.

You are excused!
Old 1/7/05, 05:54 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by Joe L@January 7, 2005, 7:23 AM
I bought the car for my wife. It's her daily driver and she wanted the automatic transmission. The great thing is that the majority of the 1/4 mile time slips that I have seen on this site have the auto being faster than the stick. Icing on the cake.
You are a good man!

Quick Reply: Any Manual Owners Wish They'd Chose Automatic?