2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Any Manual Owners Wish They'd Chose Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/06, 11:09 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
My dog is better than yours. This thread is hilarious.

By the time it is all said and done the Mustang will be a POS.

What kinda dog you got
Old 9/24/06, 07:59 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 127bull
To each your own I have owned both and enjoy either one. My last one was auto and had no problems, it was very quick also. So it shouldn't matter as long as you like what you have who cares. This is all very silly we should be disscussing a real topic like V-6 or V-8 should V-6s be considered Mustangs.
Well that should add another 23 pages or so to this thread, I'm sure
Old 9/24/06, 12:01 PM
GT Member

I asked some of the people I knew that drove a stick and they said it pretty much just fades into the background much like the rest of driving once you get used to it. So I went with the manual on my mustang, and already found it is just something I do now. I drove my old Saturn today that doesn't have a stick, but I was still looking for the clutch initially to pull the car out of the parking space.

For me, getting used to the mustang was just a matter of figuring out when best to shift and dealing with the clutch in the wrong place. I learned how to deal with manual transmissions on a motorcycle, and it all carries over. And I am really sure I would always want a manual motorcycle even if an automatic existed. That now carries over to my cars. While it can seem like a PITA in traffic, you quickly learn tricks to avoid shifting a ton.
Old 9/24/06, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Not one regret.
Old 9/25/06, 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE
I save a lot on my brakes by downshifting to slow the car. Glad both are providing enjoyment for everyone!!! but no for me
brakes are cheaper to replace that a new clutch.
Old 9/26/06, 10:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

and a whole transmission is more than a clutch.

I would really apprecaite it if they made Mustang manual rentals available at the airports.

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Nope, not at all. Haven't regretted getting a 5-speed, and everytime I downshift, and hear the exhaust get louder, a smile comes on my face. I love my 5-speed.
Old 9/26/06, 12:38 PM

Smile

Auto owners I hear Ford is making just a car for ya: 2006 Ford Crown Victoria, 4.6 V8, dual exhaust, cup holders, big numbers on speedo, cushy seats, rear anti roll bar...Car 54 where are ya???
Old 9/26/06, 12:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by drakino
And I am really sure I would always want a manual motorcycle even if an automatic existed.
It did exist, and it went over like a lead balloon. Honda created the "Hondamatic" tranny and put it on the CB750 in the mid-70's. It worked great from what I read back then, but who wants an automatic tranny on a motorcycle? Very few did and it was gone after a couple of years.

"Auto versus manual tranny on a Mustang" debates is almost like choosing sides in an abortion debate, everyone wants to argue about it but no one is changing anyone else's mind. If we could all just admit that the manual is better then we could end this debate once and for all
Old 9/26/06, 01:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I was going to get the stick but figured I would get tired of it....... and my Wife wanted the auto..... and I like having sex with her so I got the auto. I like it alot don't miss the stick shift. The auto seems to be pretty responsive when down shifting and upshifting.
Do the auto and the stick cars hit the rev limiter at the same rpm?? I would think they would.
Old 9/26/06, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenns
Not to hijack this post but since I posted the GT next to the Z06 pic. I don't think that picture does the GT justice. I had Shelby stripes painted on the car soon after bringing it home. They are the same dimension as the 67 Shelby following a narrow/wide/narrow front to back.

Totally changes the look of the car. I think I need to update the Z06/GT pic because I think the GT will look way better next to the Vette than in the previous pic.
Nice pics but you F'd up! You put the **** manual stripes on the auto Mustang
Old 9/26/06, 04:12 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I was going to get the stick but figured I would get tired of it.......
and my Wife wanted the auto..... and I like having sex with her so I got the auto.
I like it alot don't miss the stick shift. The auto seems to be pretty responsive when down shifting and upshifting.
Do the auto and the stick cars hit the rev limiter at the same rpm?? I would think they would.
Old 9/26/06, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

first day i drove it to work, no
second day i drove it to work yes
third day i drove it to work yes
fourth day NO.....

Havnt thought about an auto since.......

(i didnt drive a stick for about 4 years so i was not ready initially for the whole traffic thing, now i'm used toit_)
Old 9/26/06, 06:23 PM

I think I have the right stripes and the right idea

Okay, after reading the never ending thread I think I have the pecking order down.

Shelby - MT
Saleen - MT
Roush - MT
GT - MT
V6 - MT
Shelby - AT (do they allow this?)
Saleen - AT
Roush - AT
GT - AT
V6 - AT

Wow, save yourself a ton of money and buy a V6 - MT because it is way better than a Shelby, Saleen, Roush or GT with an AT. Following the logic in this post anyone that spent $$ beyond the V6 MT wasted money because all you need to have a real car and be a real driver is a MT. Hell, why buy a Mustang at all there are tons of low priced Koren cars with MTs. But back to the list; looking at percentiles a V6 MT is almost 2 times better then a GT AT.

My point here is. Does not matter what you have. Anyone can come along and tell you it sucks - it is not as good you are not as good just change the order of the list above according to your own opinion. But that is just an opinion. And they are as common as you know what.

As for me... personally I don't like lists and comparisons I am too busy having a good time with my life, my wife, my kids, my cars... and my AT Mustang .
Old 9/26/06, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my Wife wanted the auto..... and I like having sex with her so I got the auto.
+1 on the wife sex auto thing. I save the stick for her.

Tim
Old 9/26/06, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my Wife wanted the auto..... and I like having sex with her so I got the auto.
+1 on the wife sex auto thing. I save the stick for her.

Tim
Old 9/27/06, 03:43 AM
V6 Member

Hah, i think any Auto driver would say.... i like to have a manual.... everynow and again, but as for daily driving, i just wanna get there in style. Manual or automatic makes no difference to me from the outside, but i need to shutup a ricer, it would mean alot more if it was an manual.... that being said, i drive a auto, and commute to work, im happy, when hanging with the guys... im upset. So for me, since its an auto, for the time being, ill make it look like a sweet ride, and leave the racing to do manuals heh
Old 9/27/06, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I have an auto and really enjoy it. Although I MUST admit, it would have been really cool if I found a stick. But I really don't regret the auto choice.
Old 9/27/06, 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I was going to get the stick but figured I would get tired of it....... and my Wife wanted the auto..... and I like having sex with her so I got the auto. I like it alot don't miss the stick shift. The auto seems to be pretty responsive when down shifting and upshifting.
lol... thats hilarious.. luckily im young and 25 and my girl of course would want the stick shift too (and the sex), but i'm sure that'll all be changing eventually..
Old 9/27/06, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

by the way I would never regret owning my manual tranny. I owned 1 and drove everyday in stop and go to Newark, NJ - (dont worry not my mustang) and so what if my left leg was a little bit stronger than my left... lol..
Old 9/28/06, 04:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Tres Wright
It did exist, and it went over like a lead balloon. Honda created the "Hondamatic" tranny and put it on the CB750 in the mid-70's. It worked great from what I read back then, but who wants an automatic tranny on a motorcycle? Very few did and it was gone after a couple of years.
The Hondamatic also existed on the '78 CB400 Hawk. It came in auto and manual versions. I think the idea was to sell them in pairs as his-and-hers bikes. I had a manual '78 once. Very sweet bike for a beginner like I was at the time. Never rode an auto, though.

Quick Reply: Any Manual Owners Wish They'd Chose Automatic?