2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Any Manual Owners Wish They'd Chose Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/05, 01:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about this on the way home from work this morning......and how glad I am that I am not shifting manually right now. This automatic is the nicest I think I've ever had in a car without the help of shift-kit. I know if I would have bought a manual for a Grand less, I would be kicking myself right now.
Old 1/5/05, 01:35 PM
Cobra Member

I have not yet driven the manual as mine is not here but I test drove an auto GT. I must say for an auto it is very nice. But I made the right choice even in downtown California traffic.
Old 1/5/05, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Altoid@January 5, 2005, 2:38 PM
I have not yet driven the manual as mine is not here but I test drove an auto GT. I must say for an auto it is very nice. But I made the right choice even in downtown California traffic.
i agree i dont care how much of an inconvience it is to shift manualy, its nice to drive a car and not have the car drive you. I have had 4 v8 manuals and this will be my 5th, it is the only way
Old 1/5/05, 01:49 PM

I couldnt imagine driving this fine piece of machinery with an automatic. I reserve slushboxes for my trucks
Old 1/5/05, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05_John@January 5, 2005, 4:52 PM
I couldnt imagine driving this fine piece of machinery with an automatic.
I second that! I wouldn't have a Mustang any other way
Old 1/5/05, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I have had both automatics and manuals. And for a sports car, I can't fathom how people can get a sports car and have it automatic ( and have to pay more for it to boot !). With a manual tranny, there is so much more control for the driver. Now that's what I call -Driving ! With a manual, you are driving the car. Automatics the car drives you.

But to each their own I guess.

In Toronto there are plenty of automatic GT's on dealer lots. Salesmen have told me everyone wants a manual transmission and customers scowl at the mustang GT with automatic.. They just don't have people wanting the auto GT and can't sell em for that reason.
Old 1/5/05, 01:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted it once, I'll post it again...
Old 1/5/05, 02:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Domainer@January 5, 2005, 4:56 PM
I have had both automatics and manuals. And for a sports car, I can't fathom how people can get a sports car and have it automatic ( and have to pay more for it to boot !). With a manual tranny, there is so much more control for the driver. Now that's what I call -Driving ! With a manual, you are driving the car. Automatics the car drives you.

In Toronto there are plenty of automatic GT's on dealer lots. Salesmen have told me everyone wants a manual transmission and customers scowl at the mustang GT with automatic.. They just don't have people wanting the auto GT and can't sell em for that reason.
FERRARI AND PORSCHE MAKE AUTOMATICS AND YOU CANT GET SPORTIER THEN THAT. SO THE IDEA THAT A SPORTS CAR GOTTA BE MANUAL IS BASICALLY BS.
Old 1/5/05, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

The first words out of everyones mouth after they heard I had bought a new '05 Mustang GT, was " YOU GOT A FIVE SPEED, RIGHT? " to which I answered YES, and then came the " OHHH, THATS SO COOL! ". Not a one asked if it was an automatic.
Old 1/5/05, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mother&country+January 5, 2005, 3:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mother&country @ January 5, 2005, 3:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Domainer@January 5, 2005, 4:56 PM

FERRARI AND PORSCHE MAKE AUTOMATICS AND YOU CANT GET SPORTIER THEN THAT. SO THE IDEA THAT A SPORTS CAR GOTTA BE MANUAL IS BASICALLY BS. [/b][/quote]
they make them with auto's for the old farts that can afford them and have no interest in driving them like sport cars.
Old 1/5/05, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

LOL yet another auto vs. manual thread.

I got a manual, and I'm glad. And I'm happy that those of you who got autos are happy too.

Let's all be happy.
Old 1/5/05, 02:15 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Giddyup@January 5, 2005, 2:35 PM
This automatic is the nicest I think I've ever had in a car without the help of shift-kit.
...and don't forget, you can now (if not now, real soon) tune your tranny as part of a chip flash. The old "shift kit" trick without the greasy fingernails.
Old 1/5/05, 02:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

I got an auto due to LI traffic, hopfully in a few years when I upgrade, I won't be living here and will know how to drive a manual by then as well.
Old 1/5/05, 02:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Jaxxon@January 5, 2005, 5:13 PM
The first words out of everyones mouth after they heard I had bought a new '05 Mustang GT, was " YOU GOT A FIVE SPEED, RIGHT? " to which I answered YES, and then came the " OHHH, THATS SO COOL! ". Not a one asked if it was an automatic.
COOL, YES maybe in a race track. You'll think otherwise when you are caught up in rush hour and you are moving 1 foot per per hour.
Old 1/5/05, 02:18 PM
Cobra R Member

I haven't driven the manual yet, but the auto I drove was AMAZING. I think this particular transmission may change the way alot of people feel about the manual-or-nothing attitude. If I was buying a new Mustang to drive as a weekend toy, I'd still get the manual, but since I'm considering one for the daily commute, the auto is looking better and better. Just to give some context to these sentiments, I'm currently in the process of swapping a T-5 five speed manual into my '66. My other three Mustangs that I've owned were manuals as well.
Old 1/5/05, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mother&country+January 5, 2005, 3:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mother&country @ January 5, 2005, 3:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jaxxon@January 5, 2005, 5:13 PM
COOL, YES maybe in a race track. You'll think otherwise when you are caught up in rush hour and you are moving 1 foot per per hour. [/b][/quote]
i have been driving manuals in L.A. traffic for over 10 years... it is still worth having the manual for the few times traffic lets up or when i go to the track....there is no excuse for the auto's unless you are missing your left foot, or you are not an enthusiast driver
this is my opinion and it is not meant to offend anyone.... to each there own.... have fun with which ever 5 speed you choose
Old 1/5/05, 02:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manual -- Faster - More Fun to drive - Better gas mileage - No Regrets ..
Old 1/5/05, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Manual all the way. The GT shouldn't even be made in an automatic.... Automatics should only be for the V6.

My salesman asked my the dumb question "stick or auto"??? I just gave him a smirk and he replied..... "stick, of course".

It makes the car soooooo much more fun to drive. Gives you the option on when you want to shift instead of a computer telling you. Computers run too much of the world now.... I still want to be able to drop the hammer!!!!!
Old 1/5/05, 02:28 PM
V6 Member

I have test driven both. Granted the auto is an excellent auto I just can't justify having a sports/muscle car with an auto. I like to do more then let go of the brake and hit the gas.
Old 1/5/05, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mother&country+January 5, 2005, 3:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mother&country @ January 5, 2005, 3:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jaxxon@January 5, 2005, 5:13 PM
COOL, YES maybe in a race track. You'll think otherwise when you are caught up in rush hour and you are moving 1 foot per per hour. [/b][/quote]
Been there, done that, and don't mind, 'cause I don't do it every day. If I had to do it every day may be a different story, but its not. I've driven lot of manuals, and plenty of automatics. My preference this time around was for the manual. My Wife's preference for me this time around when I ordered, was for me to get the manual. Her preference for what she drives is the automatic, so it all comes down to what you want to drive. Every individual has their own tastes, and being a free country allows us to choose what we want. That works for me. Maybe next time, I will buy an automatic. I just never know. When I see a car I'm interested in and like it, it matters not whether it has a manual shift or not. If I like the way it looks and drives, I buy it. Life is too short to not get what you want and enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Any Manual Owners Wish They'd Chose Automatic?