2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Any Manual Owners Wish They'd Chose Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/05, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been stuck driving a beater because of all the salt and sand on the roads now ... its just boring. I always feel like I need something to do now. In serious traffic, I could see why you would get a manual, but for everything else, it just makes driving the stang more enjoyable.
Old 1/5/05, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every vehicle I've had (except for that pickup truck) has been manual. For me, it makes driving more fun and gives me the feeling of more control over the car.
Old 1/5/05, 04:27 PM
V6 Member

stick for me, solely because of autocross and track days. otherwise i'd go for the auto in a heartbeat.
Old 1/5/05, 04:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Stinky Old Fart@January 5, 2005, 3:47 PM
You're so right! Especially since the slush box is faster down the quarter than the stick!
In Motor Trend's article on the '05 Mustang, they tested an automatic on the quarter mile strip and found it made the trip in 5.1 seconds. They went on to say that the manual would perform in the high 4-second range. Where did you hear the automatic is faster?
Old 1/5/05, 04:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi there I had not taken notice that the Tachometer is supposed to hesitate on a manuale but not on the automatic ? had any body noticed this oddity
Old 1/5/05, 04:46 PM

Just ordered a V6 /manual. Even though an automatic has it's advantages there is one aspect of a manual that I miss and sometimes comes in handy...you can roll start it if your starter ever gives up the ghost. I live in East Tennessee and hills are commonplace so beign able to roll a car off to start it is easy. Cant do that with an automatic.
Old 1/5/05, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Purple Hayz@January 5, 2005, 3:37 PM
Money in my pocket from not getting the automatic: $995 dollars

Annual savings from improved fuel economy: $50 dollars (ballpark)

Better rev control, less drivetrain loss, and never having to start a sentence with the words "Yeah I went with the automatic:" Priceless :drive:
Couldn't have said it better...lol!!!
Old 1/5/05, 05:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by yur1279@January 5, 2005, 3:20 PM
I got an auto due to LI traffic, hopfully in a few years when I upgrade, I won't be living here and will know how to drive a manual by then as well.
I drive to NY every day good traffic and bad. I LOVE MY 5-SPEED!!!!
Old 1/5/05, 05:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I can't wait for my V6 manual. Drove manual '78 to ''81. Had auto '81 to this day. 1st thought the auto was great & now I can relax. But I don't remember the manual being a hassle for me in stop & go traffic. The original premise of the Mustang was for a car with "Great Styling" (i.e. Mustang) & "Fun To Drive" (i.e. Manual Trans) for me anyway. I didn't need the power, nor could afford the GT. If I had the bucks sure, why not. So for me the great looks of my V6 & shifting the gears has got to make driving fun again I'll only be bored stuck in 5th on the highway till I can shift around again B)
Old 1/5/05, 05:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@January 5, 2005, 2:51 PM
Before I drove the automatic, I was FIRMLY in the no slush box no way in heck! camp. After the drive, I REALLY had to sit down and think about it. A lot.

This car will be my daily driver. And the automatic is the best automatic I have ever driven. Period. But after thinking about for a while, I came to the solid realization that I want a SPORTS car. Thats why it will have a stick and it will also be a nice, bright RED.
Yeah, I gave it alot of thought also. If I wanted this car for a weekend warrior for a 'Driving Experience' when I pulled it outta the garage.....then I probably would have thought more about the manual. Sure the connection of a Drive Experience is nice, and I'm a very good manual driver......but it just doesn't 'Wind My Watch' 365 days a year. As it is, this is an everyday car for me.....and I most certainly don't want to be shifting all the time. The days that I feel like going for a twisty-turny, tear it up driving experience, then it would be fun to have the manual......but those few days will always be far behind the days I'm glad to have the convenience of the auto. I've heard automatics referred to as slushboxes......but this one is not in that category.
Old 1/5/05, 05:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@January 5, 2005, 1:53 PM
Kevin, first of all, congratulations on starting another thought-provoking thread. In the short time it has been on the boards, it has seen hundreds of hits and provoked several responses. Well done!

I think it's great that you're happy with your decision to purchase an automatic. Although I am a survivor of rush hour traffic on the Long Island Expressway, I would still opt for the manual tranny.

HOWEVER, there are times when I regret it... such as while using the cell phone (should get a hands-free unit) or when I want to sip my coffee.

PS - That torch red 'Stang of yours is a thing of beauty...
Chris....Thanks for the kind words.
Old 1/5/05, 05:58 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Jaxxon@January 5, 2005, 3:13 PM
The first words out of everyones mouth after they heard I had bought a new '05 Mustang GT, was " YOU GOT A FIVE SPEED, RIGHT? " to which I answered YES, and then came the " OHHH, THATS SO COOL! ". Not a one asked if it was an automatic.
ditto
Old 1/5/05, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Well this new automatic is going to really tick a lot of manual drivers off when they go to race one. If your not on the very top of your game with the manual, you will loose to the new automatic. that's all I have to say! This new trans rocks!
Old 1/5/05, 06:35 PM
Cobra Member

My intention was to get a manual. I even test drove one, it was pretty decent. The clutch felt weighted just about right, maybe a bit on the stiff side. The throws were medium short and felt pretty tight. I loved driving my stick shift, it was rarely a problem shifting my own gears, even in heavy traffic. It becomes second nature.

Now that being said, I bought an auto. My reason being it was the color I wanted, had the options I wanted and was the only one they had available.

My only regret is I feel a bit silly telling people I bought a 300hp Mustang GT...with an auto. Performance wise. darn this thing really rocks! It shifts FAST and feels very direct. It feels even better than a Corvette I drove with an auto and shift kit. I am constantly impressed at how much easier it makes life and how good it is.

I used to be on the other side of the fence, "how can you buy a sports car with an auto? thats just wrong!" Not anymore, I'm very impressed.

Oh one other thing I DO miss, my cool stainless steel shift ****. It was like one of those worry stones or whatever they're called. It was really soothing and felt great in my hand. Not so easy to swap out the auto shifter, the design is such that to make it look stock will be difficult and they don't make really nice ones like they do for standard.
Old 1/5/05, 06:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a automatic in my daily driver. The GT I ordered with a 5 speed to break up the boredom and have some fun.
Old 1/5/05, 06:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

There was an automatic transmission available? I love my manual, actually I like it in traffic, that means I get to stop, then go and have fun shifting through gears.
Old 1/5/05, 06:51 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I think about it all the time.......about all the **** I could be hauling in a manual......But my timeline got moved up like 7 months and an auto was all they had with the options I wanted.

But on the bright side, although you just slap it in D and go, its no sooooooo bad.
Old 1/5/05, 06:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

i think the plain and simple answer to the threads question is NO, noone who got a manual wishes they got an auto.... the end!!!
Old 1/5/05, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by LilHog@January 5, 2005, 7:08 PM
Well this new automatic is going to really tick a lot of manual drivers off when they go to race one. If your not on the very top of your game with the manual, you will loose to the new automatic. that's all I have to say! This new trans rocks!
Your statement could very well be true, but....I have no intention of racing against anyone, street or strip. I bought it because I wanted something that was fun to drive again, not being just transportation to get you from point A to point B. Ford introduced this new breed of Mustang, and it re-kindled the yearning I had for the 2+2 model of the mid sixties, but was never able to buy. Not everyone who buys a GT wants to race it. Drive it and enjoy. Just my opinion.
Old 1/5/05, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TURBO 05+January 5, 2005, 3:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TURBO 05 @ January 5, 2005, 3:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by mother&country@January 5, 2005, 3:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Domainer
@January 5, 2005, 4:56 PM
I have had both automatics and manuals. And for a sports car, I can't fathom how people can get a sports car and have it automatic ( and have to pay more for it to boot !). With a manual tranny, there is so much more control for the driver. Now that's what I call -Driving ! With a manual, you are driving the car. Automatics the car drives you.

But to each their own I guess.

In Toronto there are plenty of automatic GT's on dealer lots. Salesmen have told me everyone wants a manual transmission and customers scowl at the mustang GT with automatic.. They just don't have people wanting the auto GT and can't sell em for that reason.

FERRARI AND PORSCHE MAKE AUTOMATICS AND YOU CANT GET SPORTIER THEN THAT. SO THE IDEA THAT A SPORTS CAR GOTTA BE MANUAL IS BASICALLY BS.
they make them with auto's for the old farts that can afford them and have no interest in driving them like sport cars. [/b][/quote]
So people who don't drive their cars like reckless, stereotypical teenagers aren't true Mustang owners? At least their car might be in one piece at the end of the year.

Quick Reply: Any Manual Owners Wish They'd Chose Automatic?