2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

05' Pricing @ Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/04, 02:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I still cannot figure for the life of me why Americans lay-down on Toyota refrigercars.
Old 7/12/04, 02:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brad, are you going to break the new Mustang into V8 and V6 section?
Old 7/12/04, 02:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by kevinb120@July 12, 2004, 2:26 PM
Considering in my lifetime I have spent well over a quarter-million dollars for stuff I got bored with quickly, or didnt like the next day I bought it, if it puts a smile on my face its money well spent. I can't believe people fret for $1000 bucks on the RIGHT car for them. I never look back and say "I spent too much" for anything that made me happy, only the things that stinked to own.

Next time you take your next "first date" out, shop the cheapest place you can
Kevin - well said !
Old 7/12/04, 02:58 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@July 12, 2004, 2:38 PM
I still cannot figure for the life of me why Americans lay-down on Toyota refrigercars.
Refrigercars!

I've been referring to the xB as "the shoebox"...it looks like a cross between a shoebox and a Dalek.
Old 7/12/04, 05:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by os121+July 12, 2004, 3:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (os121 @ July 12, 2004, 3:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kevinb120@July 12, 2004, 2:26 PM
Considering in my lifetime I have spent well over a quarter-million dollars for stuff I got bored with quickly, or didnt like the next day I bought it, if it puts a smile on my face its money well spent. I can't believe people fret for $1000 bucks on the RIGHT car for them. I never look back and say "I spent too much" for anything that made me happy, only the things that stinked to own.

Next time you take your next "first date" out, shop the cheapest place you can
Kevin - well said ! [/b][/quote]
And on the date thing for you youngins, I have been in 13 years of relationships that went NOWHERE in the end. After spending THOUSANDS on comitments and YEARS of my life and ending up with NOTHING....I would of still spent double even knowing the ending in advance again to relive those first dates.

Just buy the darn car you want, you're gonna ruin the experience worrying about $1000 bucks turning this into an expense, for what? 16 bucks a month? $1000-2000 bucks isnt even a decent bet. You'll always make more money.
Old 7/12/04, 06:11 PM
Cobra Member

The voice of experience...many thanx Kev

No sarcasm there, :worship:
Old 7/12/04, 06:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

hey man, money is made to be spent
Old 7/12/04, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

true dat Kev
Old 7/12/04, 08:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Man Kev, i really need to let you talk to my mom!! since the Mustang is a graduation present i don't have much say so in what i get, i need to run your reasons by her. I completely agree with you. Whats a couple thousand dollars between what you can get and what you REALLY want. Thanks for the idea, i will definatly be using this method to convince her that i really derserve a GT! :worship:
Old 7/12/04, 09:34 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@July 12, 2004, 6:28 PM
True, very true... Unless you are saving up for the new 05 and then it can be spent
Old 7/12/04, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by razorbackhogs+July 12, 2004, 9:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (razorbackhogs @ July 12, 2004, 9:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kevinb120@July 12, 2004, 6:28 PM
True, very true... Unless you are saving up for the new 05 and then it can be spent
[/b][/quote]
Ah don't you mean can't be spent? :scratch:
Old 7/12/04, 09:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, everyone is so worried about getting 'ripped off'. Dealers will make a few bucks on these. I cant imagine though that the profit margin changes much, about 2k from sticker to invoice for average equipped ones. If one dealer wants 1200 over(invoice), and another wants 800 over(invoice), but is not convinient, then forget it. My only thing is that the dealer treats me decently. If they offer top-notch help and services like a loaner car, I'd stay with them even if they were 1500 over invoce(or whatever)

The car prices are static, its easy to figure out the profit a dealer makes on a car, the information is out there. You need to make sure that you buy only what you need or want in aftermarket, like the right warranty for your future needs if you want it. And make sure that your financing rates are what they SHOULD be for your credit. 2% added to a rate and some excess 'services' you'll never use can easilly cost you $2,000 more to OWN. Remember there is the cost to BUY the car and the overall cost to OWN the car after 60 months. Its better to close a sale on SELLING PRICE of the car and RATE of the loan, rather then just payments. You should know how much a price/rate your goal is and what the payments are for that $ ammount BEFORE you go in to start with.

If you are financing most of the car's price, ALWAYS at least get GAP insurance. It is cheap insurance should that car ever get totaled. heck it could get hit while parked by some loonie with no insurance(or runs)and without it could cost you thousands.

I never bother with tire road hazard or paint sealants. A lot of dealers now have "etch" services, a 200 buck or so fee to cover the supposed uncovered costs of a total loss by theft. The idea of etching glass IS a deterrent, because pro thiefs dont want to replace anything as expensive as glass on a car they steal, and they are MUCH harder to pass through a port to ship out of the country. But any police department does it for free. A lot of times the etching is done lazily and is smeared or crooked and it looks like crud on the car. It is permenant. Tell your dealers DO NOT ETCH MY CAR WHEN IT COMES IN. They usually etch every car and then try to sell the program. A lot of the time its a porter who does it as quickly as possible.

You can negotiate on extended warranties a little bit too, usually you can squeak 20-30% off. There are 20 types of extended warranties(I traditionally go for the upgraded powertrain that includes brake hardware, computers, etc, but not bumper to bumper). Make sure you buy a FORD E.S.P if you get one. They cost more then aftermarket ones, but never go out of business or have problems at other dealers.

And ALWAYS make sure the numbers all jive before signing the final paperwork.
Old 7/12/04, 09:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by HorsC@July 12, 2004, 9:58 PM
Man Kev, i really need to let you talk to my mom!! since the Mustang is a graduation present i don't have much say so in what i get, i need to run your reasons by her. I completely agree with you. Whats a couple thousand dollars between what you can get and what you REALLY want. Thanks for the idea, i will definatly be using this method to convince her that i really derserve a GT! :worship:
If you can sell your MOM on IUP and Leather, then you're much better at this then I am.

Insurance on a GT will be rediculous for a first car.
Old 7/12/04, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Man I would've s**t my pants if my folks had bought me a new 6cyl Stang for my first car. Be most grateful just to get one! Many people out there would still kill to have just that.
Old 7/12/04, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@July 12, 2004, 9:47 PM
Well, everyone is so worried about getting 'ripped off'. Dealers will make a few bucks on these. I cant imagine though that the profit margin changes much, about 2k from sticker to invoice for average equipped ones. If one dealer wants 1200 over(invoice), and another wants 800 over(invoice), but is not convinient, then forget it. My only thing is that the dealer treats me decently. If they offer top-notch help and services like a loaner car, I'd stay with them even if they were 1500 over invoce(or whatever)

The car prices are static, its easy to figure out the profit a dealer makes on a car, the information is out there. You need to make sure that you buy only what you need or want in aftermarket, like the right warranty for your future needs if you want it. And make sure that your financing rates are what they SHOULD be for your credit. 2% added to a rate and some excess 'services' you'll never use can easilly cost you $2,000 more to OWN. Remember there is the cost to BUY the car and the overall cost to OWN the car after 60 months. Its better to close a sale on SELLING PRICE of the car and RATE of the loan, rather then just payments. You should know how much a price/rate your goal is and what the payments are for that $ ammount BEFORE you go in to start with.

If you are financing most of the car's price, ALWAYS at least get GAP insurance. It is cheap insurance should that car ever get totaled. heck it could get hit while parked by some loonie with no insurance(or runs)and without it could cost you thousands.

I never bother with tire road hazard or paint sealants. A lot of dealers now have "etch" services, a 200 buck or so fee to cover the supposed uncovered costs of a total loss by theft. The idea of etching glass IS a deterrent, because pro thiefs dont want to replace anything as expensive as glass on a car they steal, and they are MUCH harder to pass through a port to ship out of the country. But any police department does it for free. A lot of times the etching is done lazily and is smeared or crooked and it looks like crud on the car. It is permenant. Tell your dealers DO NOT ETCH MY CAR WHEN IT COMES IN. They usually etch every car and then try to sell the program. A lot of the time its a porter who does it as quickly as possible.

You can negotiate on extended warranties a little bit too, usually you can squeak 20-30% off. There are 20 types of extended warranties(I traditionally go for the upgraded powertrain that includes brake hardware, computers, etc, but not bumper to bumper). Make sure you buy a FORD E.S.P if you get one. They cost more then aftermarket ones, but never go out of business or have problems at other dealers.

And ALWAYS make sure the numbers all jive before signing the final paperwork.
Kevin if you write a buyers guide, I take two!!!

P.S. Post #69
Old 7/12/04, 09:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

basically it would say PAY ATTENTION in the business office
Old 7/13/04, 06:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

yeah kevin...........i agree what are you going to do with all the money you penny pinched when you die????? kids??? thats why i have life insurance. we work hard for our money. might as well spend some to enjoy yourself. i dont worry about a grand or even two as long as i get all the services i want. and 0% financing i try to goto the same dealer and saleman even if their cars are a little higher. b/c i hate getting treated like a moron like a some dealers. i test drove a Mazda 6S over the weekend. and the guy was like there is someone else that wants to look at this car so we need to get in an get the paperwork started. i was like have a nice day and me and the wife left. OH YEAH AND ALWAYS GET GAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7/13/04, 10:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
What is GAP? I plan to finance about $15,000 after my trade in and downpayment.
Old 7/13/04, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Then you won't need GAP insurance. GAP is only needed in cases say you finance 28k. You drive off the lot and it's only worth 22k or less and you wreck it,then GAP insurance will pay off the difference on what is owed and what it's worth.
Old 7/13/04, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Kluski@July 13, 2004, 10:32 AM
What is GAP? I plan to finance about $15,000 after my trade in and downpayment.
Lease or Loan GAP Insurace:

If the amount you owe under the terms of the auto lease or loan agreement on your auto exceeds the actual cash value of the car, GAP insurance will pay the difference between these amounts in the event of a total loss due any physical damage or theft of that car.

Quick Reply: 05' Pricing @ Dealerships