Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only

What did you do with your Mustang today?

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/16, 08:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 542 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirate_5.0
Gave that looks great!

I drove mine to the store today and saw CEL come on. Not a good feeling Just added CAI and tune so I'm hoping it gets worked out.
Thanks.
If you have a handheld tuner, you can pull the code causing that CEL to come on. Let us know what it is.
Old 1/27/16, 08:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do have a tuner SCT X4. It's pulling codes:

P0100: Mass or Airflow Sensor A Circuit

P0108: Manifold Absolute Pressure / Barometric Pressure Sensore Circuit Air

P0110: Intak Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Bank 1

I bought my CAI and tuner locally off another 2011 GT 5.0 six speed and it looks almost new. I have not ever installed one but I read the instructions many times, watched videos, etc. I've only changed the oil in my past SUV's. This is my first Mustang and I love it. Seemed fairly simple and the install went just like the instructions / videos said it would. After loading the tune and cranking for the first time, the car made an awful noise, like it was sucking air then had really loud knocking for about 2 solid mins. Then it calmed down and seemed ok, but honestly the sound scared the sh** out of me. I drove it, no CEL, no weird sounds, and actually felt great..better throttle response, etc. That was last weekend..about 9 days ago. Drove it a couple times since, with no issues..maybe 20 miles total.

Then I cranked it today and the CEL was on. I called Airaid (now K&N) and the performance guy called me back and was super friendly and willing help even though I bought used off CL. He ultimately said he thought MAYBE the housing where the MAF sensor plugged into might need to be cleaned with Mass contact type cleaner in case some crud, etc got in there.

I also emailed my tuner from Steeda and the first thing he asked for was my strategy code so I sent it to him. He emailed back right away and said the ECU code I sent him in the very beginning was incorrect. However, I sent him XFN3 and sent him a picture of the sticker that showed that code. He said the sticker was not correct. He said my strategy code references VJK0 and that "changes everything". He emailed me back a new tune to upload.

I went to the car to upload the new tune and did so and cranked and got the worst sound ever, and I recorded it also. A wrench light came on, so then I went and checked the connections and sure enough I had been tinkering with the MAF sensor before while speaking with the Airaid guy couple hours prior and forgot to plug it back in. Nice work genius! Plugged it in and cranked again and it sounded better and the wrench light went away but my CEL was still on. I tried clearing the codes but they came back. I emailed Matt from Steeda but won't hear back til tomorrow. Both Steeda and Airaid have been great and very responsive but I'm not an engine guy and having the car only 30 days with plenty of payments left has me questioning whether I should be tinkering with the engine at all. I really hope it gets worked out and is nothing to worry about.

Anyone have any thoughts off the top of their head or might have seen this in the past? Thanks in advance

Last edited by Pirate_5.0; 1/27/16 at 08:50 PM.
Old 1/28/16, 04:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'd make sure the MAF sensor connector is back on fully, clicked in and with the red tab pushed back in.
Then start the car, retrieve the codes again, see if they're the same ones. If the same ones, try clearing them again with the tuner, it should do it no problem.
Reloading the tune also clears codes
Old 1/28/16, 07:02 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I do all of this… Do I need to do anything with the negative battery terminal… I thought I read something about it may be needing to relearn but wasn't sure what that meant. Maybe somehow it calibrated when the maf sensor was not completely on and needs to relearn the tune? Not sure-
Old 1/28/16, 09:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

No. Leave the battery connected.
Old 1/28/16, 10:12 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stage_3
That's awesome Gabe.
I looked at mine in the garage when I put the trash/recycle barrels away. Put a smile on my face though. Daydreaming of summer! lol
I get a good look at her when I lift up the cover to put the battery maintainer on once a month - I see the hood and the engine bay and grind my teeth and wish it was spring. I am not a patient person so to have to wait this long is killing me. Trying to remind myself why I store her - and just wants me to move south even more so. LOL - All in good time.
Old 1/28/16, 03:03 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,710 Likes on 1,218 Posts
Originally Posted by pretender
I get a good look at her when I lift up the cover to put the battery maintainer on once a month - I see the hood and the engine bay and grind my teeth and wish it was spring. I am not a patient person so to have to wait this long is killing me. Trying to remind myself why I store her - and just wants me to move south even more so. LOL - All in good time.
Tell me about it. It's horrible.
I fired mine up today. Felt so good. I wanted to rotate the tires a bit and hear it.

*******Question for you guys that use battery tenders/trickle chargers.
Do you leave yours plugged in all winter? I plug mine in and forget it, until I want to fire it up or spring time. I just disconnect and go.
Old 1/28/16, 03:48 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Tell me about it. It's horrible.
I fired mine up today. Felt so good. I wanted to rotate the tires a bit and hear it.

*******Question for you guys that use battery tenders/trickle chargers.
Do you leave yours plugged in all winter? I plug mine in and forget it, until I want to fire it up or spring time. I just disconnect and go.
LOL Tony... I think I answered this maybe 3 times now hehe... no problem man.

I plug mine in once or twice a month. When it's full and trickling, I disconnect. Then I wait a couple or so weeks, then plug it in again. No "need" to leave it always plugged in. Will it hurt it if it's plugged in all the time? no... just make sure you have a "smart" tender/charger, and appropriately "trickles" the charge in.
Old 1/28/16, 03:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Lead-acid batteries are not supposed to be discharged/re-charged, at least not fully discharged.
I plug mine in and leave it plugged in unless I take the car out for a ride, like I did this afternoon after putting the new rear wheels on

Name:  20160128_Niche1.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  358.8 KB

Name:  20160128_Niche2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  385.5 KB

Name:  20160128_Niche3.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  319.6 KB

Name:  20160128_Niche4.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  313.4 KB

Name:  20160128_Niche5.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  347.5 KB

Name:  20160128_Niche6b.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  397.3 KB
Old 1/28/16, 04:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Your rear axle is slightly off center
Old 1/28/16, 04:36 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by FromZto5
LOL Tony... I think I answered this maybe 3 times now hehe... no problem man.
I plug mine in once or twice a month. When it's full and trickling, I disconnect. Then I wait a couple or so weeks, then plug it in again. No "need" to leave it always plugged in. Will it hurt it if it's plugged in all the time? no... just make sure you have a "smart" tender/charger, and appropriately "trickles" the charge in.
See,....that's what I don't get?? I was wondering what everyone else does as well.
I leave mine plugged in like Gabe says below. I never disconnect unless I am driving it or starting it up. I have a CTEK 3300. I bought it 2 years ago. It NEVER over/under charges the battery.

Originally Posted by Gabe
Lead-acid batteries are not supposed to be discharged/re-charged, at least not fully discharged.
I plug mine in and leave it plugged in unless I take the car out for a ride,
^^This.
Old 1/28/16, 04:38 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Gabe,......she's beautiful bro!
Enjoy.
Old 1/28/16, 06:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ford20
Your rear axle is slightly off center
Lol yeah, amazing how a tire that REALLY fills up the wheel well shows off something like that ... with the 18's on the centering looked good, now the axle actually looks off to the left.
Doing a BMR Watts link soon anyway, it's sitting in the garage waiting to be installed, along with a new adjustable BMR UCA

Gabe,......she's beautiful bro!
Enjoy.
Thanks Tony!
Old 1/28/16, 06:02 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Looking great Gabe! Like I said, wheels look familiar!!!
Old 1/28/16, 06:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Looking great Gabe! Like I said, wheels look familiar!!!
Thanks Burton.
And really? Wheels look familiar? Why is that? Lol ...
Old 1/28/16, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Lead-acid batteries are not supposed to be discharged/re-charged, at least not fully discharged. I plug mine in and leave it plugged in unless I take the car out for a ride, like I did this afternoon after putting the new rear wheels on
The car looks awesome Gabe.
Old 1/28/16, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GrnT
The car looks awesome Gabe.
Thanks buddy
Old 1/28/16, 10:48 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,098 Likes on 797 Posts
Wheels look super Gabe! Very nice!
Old 1/28/16, 11:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I just can't get myself to like them. The wheels themselves look good, but the color is just so unattractive when paired with your SGM, makes the whole car look bland and boring.

But hey, it's just my opinion, and on your car your opinion is the only one that really matters.
Old 1/29/16, 05:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Wheels look super Gabe! Very nice!
Thanks man, I can't stop staring at them when I walk through the garage, lol

Originally Posted by SplitSecond
I just can't get myself to like them. The wheels themselves look good, but the color is just so unattractive when paired with your SGM, makes the whole car look bland and boring.

But hey, it's just my opinion, and on your car your opinion is the only one that really matters.
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.
If we all liked everything the world would all look alike, there'd be no variety ... what's the fun in that?

Quick Reply: What did you do with your Mustang today?