Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/11, 02:22 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
It links to my complaint in the "hate" thread. It's safe. Just surprising I complain about cable and I get support for it on a Mustang forum!
I thought he was referring to the spam link that allegedly went to charter.
Old 8/25/11, 02:33 PM
Post *****

Buy anything good?

No! lol

I've been pretty defensive and have a good chunk in cash - which pays nothing. So I bought a bit of VG short term corporate from TDA's free trade list - VCSH - 2.4% est yld. I have a little in BSV too - 1.9% est yld.

I truly loathe bond funds but I hate making 0 on cash. That is literally my only complaint with TDA. I mean how can Danversbank pay me 3% on online checking and TDBank pay me 0?

So I nibbled just a bit in these two short bond funds. Most my defense is still in cash waiting. It has been so insane lunging between spike, falling knife, to dead cat bounce; that I'm watching and waiting until there's some kind of confidence in upward momentum. As you know, Sep is usually the worst month - I think investors do their tax loss selling earlier and earlier so Sep is typically pretty bad. This year its August.

I sometimes wish we had an investment discussion thread in politic section or somewhere, but I know it would get spammed up with pink sheeters.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/25/11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 8/25/11, 02:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I thought he was referring to the spam link that allegedly went to charter.
It's a legit link and goes to Charter. It would be nice if the account is real. It's nice to see them reaching out, especially on a Mustang forum!
Old 8/25/11, 02:40 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
It's a legit link and goes to Charter. It would be nice if the account is real. It's nice to see them reaching out, especially on a Mustang forum!
it seems right. I'll go back and cehck the IP. But do it at your own discretion man, as a former employee, the company must have really changed for them to be this proactive.
Old 8/25/11, 02:41 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Yeah its a charter IP out of St. Louis.
Old 8/25/11, 02:41 PM

No! lol

I've been pretty defensive and have a good chunk in cash - which pays nothing. So I bought a bit of VG short term corporate from TDA's free trade list - VCSH - 2.4% est yld. I have a little in BSV too - 1.9% est yld.

I truly loathe bond funds but I hate making 0 on cash. That is literally my only complaint with TDA. I mean how can Danversbank pay me 3% on online checking and TDBank pay me 0?

So I nibbled just a bit in these two short bond funds. Most my defense is still in cash waiting. It has been so insane lunging between spike, falling knife, to dead cat bounce; that I'm watching and waiting until there's some kind of confidence in upward momentum.

I sometimes with we had an investment discussion thread in politic section or somewhere, but I know it would get spammed up with pink sheeters.
I just started playing around with options the end of last year. I only have my Mustang down payment money to play with so I play with cheap options with high premiums. I usually sell puts. It's nice when you find a $3.00 stock that has a put with a $2.50 strike price that i can sell for 30 cents close to expiration.

I was up about 12% for the year until everything started tanking. Now i'm negative.
Old 8/25/11, 02:43 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Also google umatter2charter, looks like they are legit. All over the place, facebook, twitter, etc etc. They are just trying to be "hip"
Old 8/25/11, 02:45 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Investment discussion thread would be informative. Just starting to do a little research on it myself. Go for it.
Old 8/25/11, 02:46 PM
Post *****

OK Scott, this has happened twice since last night. I hit 'submit' and the page hangs. When I hit 'refresh' (2 or 3 times usually), not only did it lose my post, but the log on page came up. So the TMS hang logged me out!

I have 8 other tabs open that are loading fine. Wassup?

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/25/11 at 03:20 PM.
Old 8/25/11, 02:48 PM
Post *****

I'll try again...

True dat! I stand corrected. Who knew they were Nathaning?

Old 8/25/11, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Scothew
it seems right. I'll go back and cehck the IP. But do it at your own discretion man, as a former employee, the company must have really changed for them to be this proactive.
Social media can say a lot theses days. Ford is here helping, and we all watch TV too, so I guess it shouldn't be too odd to see Charter here as well.

I'll have to give it a shot. If it gets my cable card active without having to take time off from work and wait for installer to come and do nothing but make a phone call just like I can do, it'll be worth it.
Old 8/25/11, 02:52 PM
Post *****

I just started playing around with options the end of last year. I only have my Mustang down payment money to play with so I play with cheap options with high premiums. I usually sell puts. It's nice when you find a $3.00 stock that has a put with a $2.50 strike price that i can sell for 30 cents close to expiration.

I was up about 12% for the year until everything started tanking. Now i'm negative.
I wish I understood options - to earn the premium during volatile times.

I've learned the hard way - thru the 2k tech bear and the Great Implosion bear (plus as I'm getting older) - that a balanced portfolio and asset allocation are key. Don't always hit the grand salami but you keep a bit more of what you gained.

They said the market has corrected 16% but I'm only down 8%.

I often joke with a few friends that I'm getting a lot better at trading. I'm finally losing less!

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/25/11 at 02:55 PM.
Old 8/25/11, 02:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
That's nuts! Maybe someone on TMS works for charter And told them them about it. It's just seems terrible unlikely that they would find that post in that forum by chance.
Old 8/25/11, 03:00 PM
Post *****

I looked at the time and barely got everything typed in before 1pm. This is as close as you can cut it baby!!
Check it out - I went to the Vanguard site to confirm the ex-div date (thought I screwed up for a minute) and it looks like I made the actual final trade of the day on that. Lil ol' me sittin' at the ranch while surfin' tms. lol

Last Trade08/25/2011 03:59 PM EDT
Old 8/25/11, 03:02 PM
Post *****

btw, has anyone heard from Jillers since bricks were dropping from the sky? Haven't see her post since she commented about the equake from her office.
Old 8/25/11, 03:09 PM

I wish I understood options - to earn the premium during volatile times.

I've learned the hard way - thru the 2k tech bear and the Great Implosion bear (plus as I'm getting older) - that a balanced portfolio and asset allocation are key. Don't always hit the grand salami but you keep a bit more of what you gained.

They said the market has corrected 16% but I'm only down 8%.

I often joke with a few friends that I'm getting a lot better at trading. I'm finally losing less!
Options are easy once you understand it. When you sell a put, you get paid and it gives you the right to buy a stock at that strike price. In reality, you want the stock to go up above the strike price by expiration. If it does, it expires worthless and you keep the premium.

Today I sold 3 puts with a $2.50 strike price. The stock is at $2.63. I got paid 70 cents per share. Each put is 100 shares. So I was paid a total of $210 minus my $5.00 commission. Now if that stock stays above $2.50 at expiration in September, I walk away with that $205 as profit. If the drops below $2.50, i'm stuck buying it at that strike price. But since I was paid 70 cents on that option, that stock really only would cost me $1.80. So I just turn around and sell the stock if the price is above that. My profit drops, but i'm profitable down to $1.80.
Old 8/25/11, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by codeman94
That's nuts! Maybe someone on TMS works for charter And told them them about it. It's just seems terrible unlikely that they would find that post in that forum by chance.
They must do searches for themselves to try to find things like that. I'll ask about it when I talk to someone.
Old 8/25/11, 03:16 PM
Post *****

When you sell a put,
Did you have to buy the put first - to be able to sell it? And/or did you have to buy the shares first - to be able to sell a put?

I assume the fundamentals of the underlying stock are less important than which way it moves, right? I mean who cares about the company - your just trying to make money based on the strike price right?

Are these mini's? What exchange or broker are you on?
Old 8/25/11, 03:19 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I thought Jill had posted nad said everythign was cool.
Old 8/25/11, 03:21 PM
Post *****

OK Scott, this has happened twice since last night. I hit 'submit' and the page hangs. When I hit 'refresh' (2 or 3 times usually), not only did it lose my post, but the log on page came up. So the TMS hang logged me out!

I have 8 other tabs open that are loading fine. Wassup?

OK - that first TMS tab still won't refresh. I just had to open another new tabs (or 3 or 4) to get TMS to finally load.

This has been happening over and over the last few months. Yet my signal on Hughes ranges from 75 - 80, clear skies above.

And others have posted how slow the site has become. Sorry to whine at you, but this site never has loaded as good as you had it before the new guys changed server cos. And lately its getting worse.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/25/11 at 03:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast