Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Winter wheel/tire discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/12, 05:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
We have Continentsl DWS tires on our GT500. I recommend them.
Old 11/13/12, 06:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can also look at Cooper Zeon RS3 A all season tires, which I have on order, the Cooper tire was co designed with Roush and reviews are very favorable. I priced them against the Toyo etc. and got 4 255/40/19 for 929.00 mounted balanced and tax.
Should get them this week and will be taking them to the mountains Friday or Sunday.
Old 11/13/12, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2013kAB
i got a set of the dunlop graspic ds3's from tire rack. i'm going to have them mounted next weekend on stock 18x8 gt rims. then towards spring i'll order a rim i think is better looking and have the stock pirelli's mounted on those. i have no idea about the dunlops but they were the cheapest and i just don't want to chance it with potential of snow/slush/icy roads. the one main component for me is driving style - slow slow slow.

from what i've heard, the pirelli all seasons lean a lot towards warmer weather performance. the nice thing is, i'll be able to swap out the tires/wheels without paying someone $100 and i figure i'll have a good 3 winters with the dunlops.
Haha, same here on the Graspics. They were the cheapest and had a $40 rebate. Also their customer reviews looked good. Just got mine mounted and balanced last week. I've had winter tires before on my '99 but hadn't noticed road noise but with these I do. They aren't loud but it is a noticeable difference in sound from the stock BFG's.

As I stated earlier in this thread, for the summer, I went with the 18" 2010 GT500 cast wheels that were on the convertible. They are an inch wider than my stock wheels at 9.5".
Old 11/13/12, 12:03 PM
V6 Member

I'm looking at picking up a '13-14 GT as a daily driver, and trying to decide if I want the Brembo brake package or not.

Part of that equation is the availability and cost of a winter tire/wheel package. Obviously, I've realized that the BBP greatly reduces the aftermarket wheel options, but I'd like to find some 18" wheels that will fit 245/45R18 snows, to run a slightly narrower setup for winter than the stock summer 255/40R19s.

Am I correct in believing that any wheel which will fit an '07+ GT500 will also fit a brembo equipped GT?

Couple specific examples are the charcoal AMR 18x8 wheel:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/charco...18x8-0512.html

and

2010 GT500 'replica' wheels in 18x9:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/machin...18x9-9410.html

I'm really curious about the AMR wheel, as I haven't seen any other 18x8 wheels claiming Brembo fitment in that price range.
Old 11/13/12, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SennaF1
I'm looking at picking up a '13-14 GT as a daily driver, and trying to decide if I want the Brembo brake package or not.

Part of that equation is the availability and cost of a winter tire/wheel package. Obviously, I've realized that the BBP greatly reduces the aftermarket wheel options, but I'd like to find some 18" wheels that will fit 245/45R18 snows, to run a slightly narrower setup for winter than the stock summer 255/40R19s.

Am I correct in believing that any wheel which will fit an '07+ GT500 will also fit a brembo equipped GT?

Couple specific examples are the charcoal AMR 18x8 wheel:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/charco...18x8-0512.html

and

2010 GT500 'replica' wheels in 18x9:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/machin...18x9-9410.html

I'm really curious about the AMR wheel, as I haven't seen any other 18x8 wheels claiming Brembo fitment in that price range.
Yes! If you do any wheel search and just say you have a GT500, you'll find what you need, since these are the same brakes as the GT500, prior to 2013.
Old 11/13/12, 12:28 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Yes! If you do any wheel search and just say you have a GT500, you'll find what you need, since these are the same brakes as the GT500, prior to 2013.
Great, that's what I thought. A set of those 18x8 AMRs with 235/50 or 245/45 snows would work nicely I imagine.

Diva: I just noticed you're in DC, do you drive the Mustang year-round, or is it a 3-season car? Any issues if you do drive year-round?
Old 11/13/12, 01:36 PM
V6 Member

Great, that's what I thought. A set of those 18x8 AMRs with 235/50 or 245/45 snows would work nicely I imagine.
This is exactly what I did -- just purchased the 18x8 Charcoal AMRs and a set of 235/50/18 Blizzak WS-60s to go on my Track Pack GT. I'm getting them mounted & balanced tomorrow, and then put on probably sometime around / right after Thanksgiving.
Old 11/13/12, 02:08 PM
Banned

Diva: I just noticed you're in DC, do you drive the Mustang year-round, or is it a 3-season car? Any issues if you do drive year-round?
I've only had my Mustang since August, but I drove all my prior Camaros, Trans Ams, Mustang and GTO year round.
Old 11/13/12, 02:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Has anybody had snow tires shipped to American Muscle for them to install on rims they sell, along with TPMS sensors, and then ship the whole set, mounted/balanced, to the customer?
Old 11/13/12, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gabe
Has anybody had snow tires shipped to American Muscle for them to install on rims they sell, along with TPMS sensors, and then ship the whole set, mounted/balanced, to the customer?
funny you say that because I suggested to them that they really need to consider carrying all-seasons and/or snow tires, because not everyone wants the requirement of a summer wheel set and a winter one, and I'd rather have all-weather tires. They weren't all that receptive.
Old 11/13/12, 02:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
funny you say that because I suggested to them that they really need to consider carrying all-seasons and/or snow tires, because not everyone wants the requirement of a summer wheel set and a winter one, and I'd rather have all-weather tires. They weren't all that receptive.
Well, I sent Shane from AM a private message asking if they'd do that ... we'll see what he says.

I'm really trying to avoid buying snow tires from one place, rims from another, sensors from another, and then having to somehow fit all that stuff in a car to have it all mounted/balanced.

I know my Mustang nor my Focus can carry 4 tires and 4 wheels inside ... lol
Old 11/13/12, 03:32 PM
Banned

You'd be surprised, it definitely can, if they are already mounted. When I moved from Minneapolis to DC I was able to fit my computer (full size case) 25" Monitor, peripherals, two 18's w/ bald summer tires, two guitars and an amplifier along with my clothes, and all my bedroom/wall stuff (pictures, paintings, etc) in my '05 GTO..
Old 11/13/12, 03:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm usually pretty good at packaging, but I highly doubt I can get 4 tires and 4 wheels inside my Mustang ... maybe if they're already mounted, but unmounted, no way.

My thought is that I'd have to bring them to the shop, and have them do the work, then drive back with them installed on the car, and the summer set-up inside the car.

Just not gonna happen. Unless I do 2 at a time maybe.

That's another reason why I wish AM would offer snow tires or at least if they'd mount/balance customer-supplied snows, like if I was to order snows from Tire Rack and have TR ship the tires right to AM ...
Old 11/13/12, 04:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, heard back from Shane and I guess they won't do it.

I'm back to thinking I'm gonna end up with a set of 245/45R19 Conti DWS tires on the stock 19" rims, and hopefully get a set of staggered 20's for the summer ...
Old 11/13/12, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I sent Shane from AM a private message asking if they'd do that ... we'll see what he says.

I'm really trying to avoid buying snow tires from one place, rims from another, sensors from another, and then having to somehow fit all that stuff in a car to have it all mounted/balanced.

I know my Mustang nor my Focus can carry 4 tires and 4 wheels inside ... lol
tirerack?
Old 11/13/12, 05:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JeffL
tirerack?
I know they ship tires mounted/balanced and they also pre-install the TPMS sensors, but I don't like the 18" wheel selections they have.

I'm almost certain I'm just gonna get the 19" Continentals and be done with it.
Old 11/13/12, 06:47 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I'm paranoid now. I was planning on leaving the summer tires on the V6, driving it once a week, not driving on the highway, and taking the back roads to not exceed 45mph. Now I'm wondering...
Even at ~45 degrees or so, the summer Pirellis on my car were offering almost no traction on hard acceleration on dry pavement ... I was spinning in first, short-shifting into second and half-pedalling it still getting wheelspin into second ... then I gave up and drove like a normal person ... lol

I can't wait to get some good all-season tires on this car so I can drive it every day again ...
Not only that...they can crack when driven over time when hard.
Old 11/13/12, 07:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I have the Goodyear F1 Supercar tires on the sixer. They have mad tread though despite being summer tires. Even though the car came with all season tires, they had less tread, we're skinnier of course, and absolutely had no traction whatsoever.

Thoughts?

BTW, First snowfall, I'm going to an empty parking lot and seeing exactly what the Eagle F1s do. I've got. KDWs BFG on the old goat. (suicide taking her out though)

Call me crazy. Times are tight. In all humility, I can't swing a set of winter tires right now.
Old 11/13/12, 09:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm usually pretty good at packaging, but I highly doubt I can get 4 tires and 4 wheels inside my Mustang ... maybe if they're already mounted, but unmounted, no way.

My thought is that I'd have to bring them to the shop, and have them do the work, then drive back with them installed on the car, and the summer set-up inside the car.

Just not gonna happen. Unless I do 2 at a time maybe.

That's another reason why I wish AM would offer snow tires or at least if they'd mount/balance customer-supplied snows, like if I was to order snows from Tire Rack and have TR ship the tires right to AM ...
Four mounted wheels/tires will fit in the Mustang alright - two in the trunk, two in the back seat.

Can you not install them yourself? I bought mine from Tire Rack and had them shipped right to the house and do the swap myself each spring/fall. Since you don't like Tire Rack's 18" wheels, you could buy them from whatever local shop you want and A) have the shop deliver them for a fee or B) rent a U-Haul, Home Depot or Lowe's truck for an hour for like $20 to do it yourself.
Old 11/13/12, 09:15 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also have Tire Rack ship directly to the installers address if they are part of their dealer network. And yes, you can fit a set of four 19" tires in the back.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire discussion