Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Winter wheel/tire discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/12, 09:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyyPunk
Had my winter tires/wheels installed this weekend. Blizzak LM-60 on Matte Black Machined AMR Wheel

It had been cold (between 25-35F) for the past week and snowed a week ago...got them installed this weekend and today it was 60F and rainy! Tires were terrible today but it isn't what they were designed for I suppose...anything more than barely touching the gas and I would slide, especially when turning. Ah well...bring on the snow!

Photo time!
Sure you know this but minimize your driving in temps that warm - you'll wear out those snow tires badly at 60 F.
Old 12/3/12, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires were terrible today
Brand new tires do have oils on them; a release agent to get them out of the mold when they are made. So you have to work through that as well. I've had LM-60's for two Winters and love 'em.

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Sure you know this but minimize your driving in temps that warm - you'll wear out those snow tires badly at 60 F.
That is true for the WS model and other tires that are pure snow/ice. The compound for those are such that the rubber 'sticks' to the road. The LMs are a different compound and offer a longer tread life. I have not seen any additional wear when it has been warm out. Two winters and they still look brand new.
Old 12/3/12, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Drove my winter tire setup across Fort Mountain to Dahlongea, GA this weekend and the Cooper Zeon RS3 A's hooked up pretty well in the twisties. I think I am going to be a happy camper until I can get the summer set up back on in April.
Attached Thumbnails Winter wheel/tire discussion-dsc00078.jpg  
Old 12/3/12, 07:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
Drove my winter tire setup across Fort Mountain to Dahlongea, GA this weekend and the Cooper Zeon RS3 A's hooked up pretty well in the twisties. I think I am going to be a happy camper until I can get the summer set up back on in April.
Any cold temps, precipitation? Will be getting the s's for summer but curious how the a's handle in cold/wet.
Old 12/3/12, 07:53 AM
Bullitt Member

No snow yet, but they handle fine in the wet. I find it difficult to break them loose on wet roads, which is the pre dominate conditions I will face this winter.
I really think this tire is under rated, I thoroughly enjoyed tossing the car around this weekend.
Old 12/3/12, 08:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mabcim
Brand new tires do have oils on them; a release agent to get them out of the mold when they are made. So you have to work through that as well. I've had LM-60's for two Winters and love 'em.

That is true for the WS model and other tires that are pure snow/ice. The compound for those are such that the rubber 'sticks' to the road. The LMs are a different compound and offer a longer tread life. I have not seen any additional wear when it has been warm out. Two winters and they still look brand new.
Right, I drove mine last year in a lot of 40's/50's temps since it was such an odd winter - just meant if you can avoid it, you don't want to drive a lot of miles when it gets that warm out.
Old 12/3/12, 08:35 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed mine felt a little mushy yesterday during the warmer weather here in MI as well. It's especially noticeable on asphalt. Looks like we're back to "normal" MI temps for Dec. later this week.
Old 12/3/12, 09:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Had my winter tires/wheels installed this weekend. Blizzak LM-60 on Matte Black Machined AMR Wheel

It had been cold (between 25-35F) for the past week and snowed a week ago...got them installed this weekend and today it was 60F and rainy! Tires were terrible today but it isn't what they were designed for I suppose...anything more than barely touching the gas and I would slide, especially when turning. Ah well...bring on the snow!

Photo time!
Those wheels look sharp on your car!
Old 12/7/12, 02:46 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice looking ride, Mustang259!

Deysha
Old 12/7/12, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Deysha,
Thanks I am really enjoying the car and love the color.

Keep up the good work helping us out with issues, I really appreciate it!
Old 12/7/12, 09:07 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Well, I added to my snow tire collection today. I purchased (and had installed) Firestone Winterforce's on my OEM rims for Farah, our 2010 Fusion. It had good reviews and a good sale going on. Supposed to snow tonight, and Sunday. So we'll see how these compare to my Hankook Winter iCepts on Tori.
Old 12/7/12, 10:37 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Well, I added to my snow tire collection today. I purchased (and had installed) Firestone Winterforce's on my OEM rims for Farah, our 2010 Fusion. It had good reviews and a good sale going on. Supposed to snow tonight, and Sunday. So we'll see how these compare to my Hankook Winter iCepts on Tori.
You and your car names man, lol.
Old 12/8/12, 09:31 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost

You and your car names man, lol.
Lol... Cars are always ladies to me. Heck even our Odyssey minivan was named Oprah... Big, fat, and slow.

No pics of Farah yet. have to wait till spring when I can polish and clean her up.

Last edited by FromZto5; 12/8/12 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12/8/12, 02:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
I had Winterforce tires on 2 different cars and loved them.
They're not ice tires, but they're awesome in snow and rain, regardless of temps.
Old 12/8/12, 03:29 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Gabe

I had Winterforce tires on 2 different cars and loved them.
They're not ice tires, but they're awesome in snow and rain, regardless of temps.
That's good to know... I guess ice is ice, not sure anything will grip on that. But yes snow is the really important thing. Forecast here tomorrow is snow...so we'll test it out.
Old 12/8/12, 03:51 PM

That's good to know... I guess ice is ice, not sure anything will grip on that. But yes snow is the really important thing. Forecast here tomorrow is snow...so we'll test it out.
Ws blizzaks will grip ice. They give the water somewhere to go.
Old 12/9/12, 01:37 PM
V6 Member

The stock Pirelli's were scaring me when I was on the highway in the morning on the way to work. The car would drift when I was being passed and handling wasn't as sharp as it was in the summer and fall. I figured I had to get a set of winter tires. I checked out this thread and like a few others, I purchased a set of Blizzak LM60's on the Sport Edition F10's from Tirerack that others have posted about. I ordered 18" instead of 19" with TPMS sensors, hopefully there are no speedometer issues. I've had them sitting in the shed a few weeks waiting for the weather to get cooler. I got them installed yesterday since it was 55 degrees out and I knew today was going to be 45 and rainy. Of course tomorrow is supposed to be 63! Weather here in South Jersey is unpredictable, a few weeks ago it was snowing. But the rest of the week is highs in the mid 40's and I can't see us having many more days in the 50's let alone 60's. After taking it out last night, handling sure isn't the same as the stock Pirelli's but that's the price you pay for a winter tire. I'm hoping they perform well in the snow/rain as my work is 30 miles from home.
Old 12/10/12, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by smiley
I got them installed yesterday since it was 55 degrees out and I knew today was going to be 45 and rainy.
I gave in and put mine (LM60s) on yesterday as well. Forecasting 52 today, but potential snow tomorrow, then back into the upper 40's the rest of the week. Figured better safe then sorry.
Old 12/11/12, 10:24 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Deysha,
Thanks I am really enjoying the car and love the color.

Keep up the good work helping us out with issues, I really appreciate it!
Awesome! Thank you very much, Mustang259.

Deysha
Old 12/20/12, 10:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Holy hell. I put my winter wheels/tires on Monday evening, knowing this storm was coming later in the week. It rained 3" or so last night, then it turned to snow after midnight so I woke up to 2" of snow on top of a whole lotta ice. I had a service appointment this morning to get an alignment check on Lucy, which I always have done when I switch out my tire/wheels. Made it up to the dealer fine and pulled in only to have the service adviser look at me with an open mouth and say, "how'd you make it here?" I laughed and went inside where the service cashier said, "you must have gotten here in a 4WD or something." I said, "Nope, just a Mustang!"

But then, on the way downtown to work (a 15 mile drive), the roads were all plowed but still covered in ice...which made for slow-going. Then I made it to the Broadway Bridge, one of our five ways across the MO River into KC, which was one gigantic sheet of ice. Making it more fun is that it's two narrow lanes with 10" curbs on either side so absolutely no shoulder. Traffic forced me to stop halfway across and then the fun started. I could not get going again starting from 1st or 2nd gear - just kept spinning the tires. Finally, the rear tires started sliding to the left but the car started moving forward too, so I kept my foot gently on the throttle and steered into the slide. I think I must have gone about 20 yards while driving 30 degrees sideways before the car finally straightened out. And that was about 75 minutes ago, and I think my heart finally has slowed down. Holy hell.

Morale of my long-winded (but maybe entertaining) story - no matter what tires you get or what kind of car you own (RWD, FWD, AWD, 4WD), they don't make much difference on ice. That, and I answered my question about whether sand tubes in the trunk are really necessary for me - the answer is a resounding yes!

Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire discussion