Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Winter wheel/tire discussion

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/12, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used Blizacks on my charger(RWD) raised the car up on all 4 corners and DD.
Name:  DSC_0401.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  214.0 KB

And this year I will be driving my $800.00 GEM....
Name:  7F031F8A-8C1A-4369-BAFE-98E2ECD8E3C8-924-00000035B9A759F1.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  53.2 KB
Old 9/10/12, 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It plan to stick 2 or 3 concrete blocks in the trunk of mine... if it gets here before Spring, that is.
Old 9/10/12, 10:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yup. Snow tires mounted on cheap steel rims for the winter is the norm here in the Chicago area. The most important thing about driving in snow / ice is driving skill though.

I have fond memories of driving around in my 83 Mustang convertible with the top down during snow storms. Heater / defroster on full blast and having a great time. No snow tires; just those crazy metric Michelins!
Old 9/11/12, 12:35 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember driving my 97 in a Blizzard here in Denver, didn't get stuck and punched it up a hill while all the other cars where stuck next to the curve. felt like I was driving a boat lol ...I say don't drive it in the snow IMO...
Old 9/11/12, 06:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
I'm dealing with quite a dilemma on my end since my GT is equipped with the summer 19" Pirellis and I really don't want to NOT drive the car all winter, even on no-snow days, just because it might be below 40 degrees out (going by the door-jamb sticker, it says to not drive with these tires unless it's over 40)

So I've been looking into an extra set of rims, I'd like to do the skinniest 18" tires/rims I can find, that will clear the Brembos ...

Tire Rack shows several rims that would work ...
Old 9/11/12, 06:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Put sand bags in the trunk. Problem solved
If you have wheels bigger than the 17", you need snow tires. The 17" are general enough for snow.
Old 9/11/12, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

i agree with the consensus here, these cars do fine in the winter if u can do drive. i would be more concerned about the wear and tear than i would the driving dynamics. even with all seasons you can get by in light to medium snow.
Old 9/11/12, 09:01 AM
Banned

Car drives fine in the snow, even on all seasons. But if it's anything like my GTO, snow tires rock.
Old 9/11/12, 10:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slostang
I used Blizacks on my charger(RWD) raised the car up on all 4 corners and DD.

And this year I will be driving my $800.00 GEM....
thissss is what i should do in the long run, get a POS to drive in the winter.
Old 9/11/12, 11:17 AM
GT Member

I went through one winter on new all season tires, it was ok. The car is much, much better with 4 good winter tires. It's the handling and braking where the winters really make a huge impact. I sold my all seasons and put the funds towards winter tires.

I don't understand why people put weight in the trunk for winter driving. Mustang's are heavy cars with fairly even weight distribution. Traction off the line in the winter has never been an issue for me - it's the stopping and turning that is most important. Additional weight just makes that worse, especially if the weight is in the spare tire well behind the rear axle, where it is unloading the front end and it can act as a pendulum. Not to mention the effect on fuel mileage or how you'll feel when the bag of sand leaks. If anything, I'd suggest keeping the fuel tank above 1/2 full but adding weight is unnecessary.
Old 9/11/12, 12:11 PM
Cobra R Member

i had the p-zero's on my '06 they're pretty good as long as they have most of their tread. always drove in the snow.
then again there's nothing like snow tires, had a set on my '88, was like driving a 4x4.

norther vermont in jan

Old 9/12/12, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rmurer
thissss is what i should do in the long run, get a POS to drive in the winter.
Can't beat it! 49mpg, 1.5L vtec motor, nice radio and thats it. The body is FAAAAR from mint or nice, but I park it anywhere and don't care. You can look on CL and find some nice stuff for $1000 or so. I put 300 miles a month(maybe) on my mustang.
Old 9/12/12, 10:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't beat it! 49mpg, 1.5L vtec motor, nice radio and thats it. The body is FAAAAR from mint or nice, but I park it anywhere and don't care. You can look on CL and find some nice stuff for $1000 or so. I put 300 miles a month(maybe) on my mustang.
my biggest fear is other people sliding into me....

doubt ill be able to pull off a beater this year but next year i might start considering it.
Old 9/12/12, 11:29 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindust

I don't understand why people put weight in the trunk for winter driving. Mustang's are heavy cars with fairly even weight distribution. Traction off the line in the winter has never been an issue for me - it's the stopping and turning that is most important. Additional weight just makes that worse, especially if the weight is in the spare tire well behind the rear axle, where it is unloading the front end and it can act as a pendulum. Not to mention the effect on fuel mileage or how you'll feel when the bag of sand leaks. If anything, I'd suggest keeping the fuel tank above 1/2 full but adding weight is unnecessary.
It's simple - the empty trunk over the traction axle is trying to push the heavy front that has the engine. Adding weight helps offset that and avoid high centering.
Old 9/12/12, 11:36 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
but I park it anywhere and don't care.
Yeah I bought a winter car with FWD. Put studs all around. Then have my old F150 4x for backup when it's really deep.

A winter car is not only worth it to me for snow & ice so #901 stays garaged, but after getting keyed by jerkwads a few summers ago, I even use it in the summer if I'm going to big events with a lot of people etc so I don't have to worry about Bullitt getting vandalized.
Old 9/12/12, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yeah I bought a winter car with FWD. Put studs all around. Then have my old F150 4x for backup when it's really deep.

A winter car is not only worth it to me for snow & ice so #901 stays garaged, but after getting keyed by jerkwads a few summers ago, I even use it in the summer if I'm going to big events with a lot of people etc so I don't have to worry about Bullitt getting vandalized.
I find my self using my Honda more then the 5.0, In fact I have the 5.0 listed as a second vehicle, at 22 it helps ALOT that my primary is a 71hp car. But too and from work(other then some NICE mornings once or twice a month) I use the honda, mall, movies, odds and ends I dont need the risk, wear and tear or fuel on the mustang. Like I said, more and more the honda is used, cant beat 450-500 miles a TANK and still have a full bolt on 5.0 at home if I want a 440+hp car to pull out on nice summer days here and there. Key my honda....ill just touch it up with spray paint

And if the snow is THAT bad and I HAVE to go somewhere my dad has a silverado I can use.

Last edited by slostang; 9/12/12 at 03:19 PM.
Old 9/13/12, 06:15 AM
V6 Member

I grew up with rear wheel drive cars and never had a problem with them as long as you had a good set of snow tires. I have an extra set of stock wheels and blizzaks for the winter since this is also my daily driver. With the TC & Stability Control system, cars today are better equipped for all weather driving, but get a good set of snow tires.
Old 9/13/12, 03:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Winter? What's that?
Old 10/3/12, 03:54 PM

Question Winter Tires for Brembo GT

Have an order (placed yesterday) for a 2013 GT Premium with Brembo package, and wanted to have a second set of wheels with A/S or Winter tires ready to go when she arrives. I won't be driving in snow, as my Explorer will be designated for that, but I will need tires for below 40 temps.

On Tire Rack, I've been looking at Sport Edition F10 wheels (18x8) with either Blizzaks ($266/tire) Conti Extreme DWS A/S ($189/tire) or BF Goodrich Super Sport A/S ($208/tire). Tires are priced with road hazard, though the Conti's are manufacturer supported road hazard vs TireRack. Does anyone have any experience with these wheels, tires, or trying to use the hazard warranty with Tire Rack or Continental? Any help would be much appreciated, as I have plenty of time to make the decision before I order it all. Thanks!

Last edited by Midol_AXP; 10/3/12 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10/3/12, 05:20 PM
lug

Interesting selection you picked to choose from in tires and wheels. I was searching for a good winter tire that would fit a 19 x 9 FRPP Black Track wheel. I was going to pick the Blizzaks over the two Pirelli's offered at Tire Rack but I'm skipping all of them for the Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R that just happen to come in OEM size for Brembo equipped Mustangs. I wish Tire Rack would offer the Nokian brand.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire discussion