Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Winter wheel/tire discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/10, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I seem to be torn here. It seems that the "suggested" tire seems to be 255/45/18 ('11 GT with BBP). What about 245/45/18 as I have also read can be used(??). I know you get a slightly narrower tread etc but has anyone put on 245's? If so how has this worked for you?

I like the Michelin X-Ice in 245 but if having to go for the 255 then I'll go Blizzak. Obviously there is a price difference between 245 & 255 plus I have to get rims also, and get them sent from the US (which I don't mind as still far cheaper than getting in Canada even after import duties etc )

Thanks.
Old 11/24/10, 08:06 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
245/45-18 would also work but your speedo would be reading 1.312% too fast if that matters to you.
Although on the plus side, you'd have a better selection of tires to choose from.
Old 11/24/10, 08:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Narrow has always been better for snow tires ... back with the SN-95's they recommended a 205 size tire for winter and I was a rebel running 225/60-15's.

When snow tire shopping this summer, I saw the 235, 245, & 255 recommendations for S-197's on tire rack and don't understand this change of logic. I was looking at 225/60-17's and they even seemed to have too much tread width (over 7") so I went with 215/65-17 with 6.8" of tread width (stock 2011 V6 AT tire size).

Car rides and drives just fine on dry pavement with these skinnies which are 1" narrower than the stock 235/50-18 Pirelli's. MPG's seem to be up a bit too, which is nice considering I've noticed a drop since they switched over to the winter formula gas a couple of weeks ago.

Not only are 215 & 225 tire widths going to be better in the snow & on ice but they are less costly to purchase. Only down side is they typically are "T" speed rated, but who needs to go faster than 118 MPH in the winter ??

Doug
Old 11/26/10, 06:20 AM

I originally had narrowered it down to X-Ice. But I read some reviews where people said they we not as good on wet roads; I think they also said they were a little "soft". I couldn't find too much about people who had them on a Mustang. Since I found some about Blizzak, I went that route.
I got my car back on Wednesday. My initial impression on dry is very good. It seemed to be just fine. I didn't really push them hard, but I did slightly. They gripped fine on the corners. They road fine. Around 70mph I started to 'hear' the tires.
Old 11/27/10, 08:21 AM

I've a 2010 GT, just put 4 Michelin XIce Xi2's on. They ride well, are quiet, and are highly-rated for winter driving. Got them at Tire Rack. BUT, they are a bit squirmy when you hit the gas hard; is because the tire blocks are 'taller' for the snow, etc., so the tires tend to subtly shift about a bit under high acceleration or around fast, tight corners. Otherwise, I'm happy. I live in Wellesley, MA, so not too much 'high acceleration' going on around these parts!!

By the way, the tires are the stock 235/50-18 size; no fitment or other problems.

Last edited by cdsilver; 11/27/10 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11/27/10, 09:17 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MustangGTPilot
Well I seem to be torn here. It seems that the "suggested" tire seems to be 255/45/18 ('11 GT with BBP). What about 245/45/18 as I have also read can be used(??). I know you get a slightly narrower tread etc but has anyone put on 245's? If so how has this worked for you?

I like the Michelin X-Ice in 245 but if having to go for the 255 then I'll go Blizzak. Obviously there is a price difference between 245 & 255 plus I have to get rims also, and get them sent from the US (which I don't mind as still far cheaper than getting in Canada even after import duties etc )

Thanks.
i bought the falken HS439 in 245/45-18 and will have them on the GT500 wheels come monday or tuesday, depending on when rehagen gets the wheels in stock.

they should only change the speedo by 1.3% compared to 255 so it won't really affect your speedo.

i'll let people know when i get the wheels on next week.
Old 11/27/10, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
We have some pretty nasty hills where I live, and generally the temperature is right at freezing, so when your tire rolls over the snow it immediately turns to ice. Lots of black ice too. I mounted LM-60 blizzaks on some beat up polished bullitt rims I found on craigslist for $300 complete with ford tpms sensors. The first pic is of this set up on bullitt#6333. The second pic is the scene in front of my house one morning when the kid's buses were on snow routes. The all wheel drive BMW to the right is in my driveway (the only one shoveled... I'm from Cleveland) and can't navigate down the hill. Same with the Land Rover and Merc... both all wheel drive. The truck further down the hill can't make the turn... just keeps floating straight down the hill and luckily he's off the road. The hill gets a little steeper further down and you have to make a 90 degree corner or run into the trees.

I ask my daughter if she wants to walk down to the bus stop (about 1 mile) and of course she says "no daddy, can you drive me please." So I pull the supercharged bullitt out of the garage, navigate down the hill between all my stuck neighbors, drop her off and then come back up the hill to put the car away. Didn't really slip once going down and the tc worked great coming back up the hill. As I was gone the BMW arrived, so I can't put the car back in the garage. No problem... I just pull up the snow covered keyway next to the house and get out to chat. The guy in the BMW says "what is that car? Is it all wheel drive?" So I explain to him what it is and then ask him to put his fancy Thule chains on faster so I can put my car away. Anyway... Blizzak LM-60s are a really good choice. still have them and I'm hoping the wheels fit over the '11 GT brakes without spacers. Maybe I'll go check right now
Let me know if they fit I would love to get a set like that for my '11 as snow tires.

These Summer Only Pirellis got me stuck this week.

Thanks!
Old 11/27/10, 11:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by madV6
Let me know if they fit I would love to get a set like that for my '11 as snow tires.

These Summer Only Pirellis got me stuck this week.

Thanks!
They fit.
Old 11/29/10, 07:32 PM

They fit.
So what is it with all these guys saying 17's wont fit on a 2011???

Thanks man!
Old 11/29/10, 11:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by madV6
So what is it with all these guys saying 17's wont fit on a 2011???

Thanks man!
No, I think you misunderstood. The wheels I have are 18" bullitts from an '07 mustang GT. The tires are lm-60 blizzaks. 17' rims will not fit. The front brakes on the '11 are slightly bigger than '05-'10 model years, so I was test fitting to see if I could use the set up I had used on my '09 bullitt and I can.
Old 11/30/10, 06:14 AM

The standard wheel size on a 2011 V6 is 17", but the important thing is the clearance inside the wheel. I know the 2011 18" are 8" wide, but I don't know about the 17" (my guess it is 8" as well). The ones are asking about a 7.5". 0.5" may not seem like a lot, but depending on the offset and the shape inside the rim it could be a lot.

For what's it worth, Ford Racing shows a set of 17x8 and only list it as fitting up to 2010
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=8120

Since you have the wheels, I would just try it. The only important thing is that it clears the rotor and caliper.
Old 11/30/10, 10:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by mabcim
The standard wheel size on a 2011 V6 is 17", but the important thing is the clearance inside the wheel. I know the 2011 18" are 8" wide, but I don't know about the 17" (my guess it is 8" as well). The ones are asking about a 7.5". 0.5" may not seem like a lot, but depending on the offset and the shape inside the rim it could be a lot.

For what's it worth, Ford Racing shows a set of 17x8 and only list it as fitting up to 2010
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=8120

Since you have the wheels, I would just try it. The only important thing is that it clears the rotor and caliper.
I think his car has the performance pack, which comes with GT brakes and 19" rims.
Old 11/30/10, 04:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think his car has the performance pack, which comes with GT brakes and 19" rims.
The V6 PP does come with 19" wheels, but I've recently read that it comes with the same '05-10 GT brakes as all 2011 V6's, but has "higher-perfomance type" pads. If this really is the case, 17" wheels "should" still clear V6 PP brakes.

Doug
Old 11/30/10, 04:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you don't need an ice tire, but a winter tire, I've been really, really pleased with Pirelli 210 and 240 Sottozero's on both my '07 Mustang GT (gone) and my current beater a '94 BMW 325is. They are NOT ice tires. They are Performance Winter Tires. I've pounded through snow easily that was deep enough you could see where the floorpan was dragging (for miles) with the Mustang. And I live in Western PA, it's not exactly flat here.

I opt for those because we don't get a lot of ice. And when the roads aren't bad they wear well, handle well, and generally act like a normal performance tire without all the slop and squirm of the ice tires with the extra siping and squishier treadblocks.

There are other tires that fit that category too, I've just had great luck with these, and HUGELY preferred them over the Blizzaks we had prior (don't recall which version but an ice tire) that was sloppy and I hated driving on unless the weather was TERRIBLE.
Old 11/30/10, 04:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mabcim
The standard wheel size on a 2011 V6 is 17", but the important thing is the clearance inside the wheel. I know the 2011 18" are 8" wide, but I don't know about the 17" (my guess it is 8" as well).
The 2010-11 V6 17" wheels (base or premium) are all 7" wide ... however all 2005-09 factory GT (or opt. V6) 17" wheels were 8".

How do I know this ?? I bought my 215/65-17 Michilin X-Ice XI2 Snows 1st (call for 7.5" max wheel width) then started looking for a used set of 05-09 GT 17" wheels which I found out are ALL 8" WIDE !!

Ended up getting 17x7" MB FIVE X wheels & gorrilla lug nut set from D-T-D for $387 delivered.

Doug
Old 12/1/10, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
The V6 PP does come with 19" wheels, but I've recently read that it comes with the same '05-10 GT brakes as all 2011 V6's, but has "higher-perfomance type" pads. If this really is the case, 17" wheels "should" still clear V6 PP brakes.

Doug
Hmmm I thought the PP had the 2011 GT Brakes?? Someone bring me a 17" wheel to try on

Can anyone confirm which brakes I have??
Old 12/2/10, 07:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Per the J2 order guide ...

V6 PERFORMANCE PACKAGE (67B)��

Includes:
Strut tower brace
Upsized front sway bar and SVT rear sway bar
Unique front springs
Unique front and rear calipers with Performance Friction pads
19"x8.5" Black Painted / Machined Aluminum Wheels
255/40R19 Summer-only tires
Unique stability control calibration
Gloss black side mirror caps
3.31 rear axle

Notice it says nothing about bigger rotors, just unique F & R calipers and pads.

However, Ltngdrivr has seen a PP in person and says the calipers are the same as regular 2011 V6 just the pads are upgraded ... if this really is the case, the 17" wheels will fit !!

My original understanding of the V6 PP package brakes is they were going to be the "2010 GT Track Pack Brakes" which in the 2010 brochure stated "dual piston front calipers with performance brake pads". However, ALL 2010 Mustangs (assume '05-09 too) had dual 43 mm piston aluminum calipers, so "dual-piston" is no upgrade from stock unless they are larger.

So I'm no expert on the subject, just sharing what I've read.

Doug

Last edited by orange3.9stang; 12/2/10 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12/2/10, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
Per the J2 order guide ...

V6 PERFORMANCE PACKAGE (67B)��

Includes:
Strut tower brace
Upsized front sway bar and SVT rear sway bar
Unique front springs
Unique front and rear calipers with Performance Friction pads
19"x8.5" Black Painted / Machined Aluminum Wheels
255/40R19 Summer-only tires
Unique stability control calibration
Gloss black side mirror caps
3.31 rear axle

Notice it says nothing about bigger rotors, just unique F & R calipers and pads.

However, Ltngdrivr has seen a PP in person and says the calipers are the same as regular 2011 V6 just the pads are upgraded ... if this really is the case, the 17" wheels will fit !!

My original understanding of the V6 PP package brakes is they were going to be the "2010 GT Track Pack Brakes" which in the 2010 brochure stated "dual piston front calipers with performance brake pads". However, ALL 2010 Mustangs (assume '05-09 too) had dual 43 mm piston aluminum calipers, so "dual-piston" is no upgrade from stock unless they are larger.

So I'm no expert on the subject, just sharing what I've read.

Doug
Maybe I can clarify a couple of things. ALL 05-11 V6 & GT (except of course 2011 fronts that have the Brembos) have the same calipers. What changes for the front are the rotors diameter and caliper bracket. So this means that all 05-11 V6 & 05-10 GT calipers will clear Ford 17" wheels (offset is not an issue).

On my 2011 GT, I put 05-10 GT rotors and caliper brackets so that I could use my 17" wheels/winter tires.

Hope that helps

PS: I am using Toyo G02 PLUS tires on mine

Last edited by MontrealStang; 12/4/10 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12/4/10, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by sam strano
...Pirelli 210 and 240 Sottozero's... They are Performance Winter Tires.
I opt for those because we don't get a lot of ice. And when the roads aren't bad they wear well, handle well, and generally act like a normal performance tire without all the slop and squirm of the ice tires with the extra siping and squishier treadblocks.
Agree. This is why I got the LM-60 instead of the WS-60. I was concerned X-Ice would be more an 'ice' tire, which is why I stay away from those. I did find anyone that had experience with Pirelli's, so its good hear there is anothe option.

Originally Posted by sam strano
and HUGELY preferred them over the Blizzaks we had prior (don't recall which version but an ice tire) that was sloppy and I hated driving on unless the weather was TERRIBLE.
My guess is that you had the WS-60.
Old 12/4/10, 09:04 AM
V6 Member

After a few days driving on my new falken HS439 I've got to say they're great in the cold. We haven't gotten any real snow yet, but the pirellis were just too squirrelly when the temps drop below the mid 40s and it's really noticeable after I changed tires.

I'll report back after a good snow, but so far the falkens have been real grippy in the cold and wet. Also they're pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire discussion