Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/13, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I informed my assigned CSM on Monday morning and will be taking my vehicle in for round 4 Tuesday evening. We have made arrangements for the dealership to have the vehicle for a week. I'm a fairly certain the issue will be fixed at least temporarily as the temps are dropping below the high 90's which seem to help bring out the problem.
Patman, I guess I don't understand. You said that you had at least one "D" arm but no heat shields. If I'm remembering this correctly, why on earth is the dealer screwing around with your car? Tinkering here and there, reassembling pieces, keeping it for a week! All the while it doesn't even have the latest TSB. Am I missing something?

Are they paying you to use your car for testing on something new?

Last edited by typesredline; 9/17/13 at 03:06 PM.
Old 9/17/13, 03:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ryland52586
I noticed the issue last year on my '12 GT. I took it to my nearby dealership and told them that there was a TSB out for the arms and that mine were making a noise that sounded like an old bed when I went over speed bumps.

After three trips to the dealership, they were finally able to duplicate the sound and replace the parts. While replacing them, they managed to get my car stuck on a lift so I was without it for two days instead of one.

I picked it the third morning and took it home. Upon getting home, I noticed that the steering wheel was now turned slightly to the left instead of being straight when I was going straight. I called back into the dealership and asked if they had done an alignment after they had replaced the parts. The manager said that the parts were such that they could be replaced without needing an alignment. I said that it would seem to me that anything involving the front end would seem to warrant an alignment. He disagreed and said that because the service didn't say it needed it, he would have to charge me for it.

Frustrated, I gave up on it.

I've since moved to a state where the temperature has been around 80-90 every day. I've noticed that the parts have started making the noise again when going over bumps, worse than they were, and now even starting to make noise when turning as well. I'm getting close to my bumper to bumper warranty and I don't want to go over.

Should I take it in and see about getting them replaced or just deal with it? I'm afraid that they either won't do an alignment or that it being slightly out of alignment will have caused my tires to wear irregularly.

Thanks in advance.
Wow this is nuts! And just dumb and lazy on the dealers part. Denying the alignment because the TSB didn't say to??? Jeez. It's common sense to do this. Sounds like they were trying to milk more $$$. You pay for it, but they also would probably bill Ford.

This is my fear as well. I hate the bs they try to pull. Fortunately I know better, unfortunately they hold most of the power being in charge of warranty work and in possession of parts. I just want to pull my car in, have the mgr get in, hear the lurch, order the parts, swap um, align it and done. But it is NEVER that cut and dry. SMH...
Old 9/17/13, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no idea why mine hasn't had the latest parts with heat shields installed. I'm not being compensated for the R&D but they are providing me a car to drive so I'll work with their time frame. The service rep at the dealership, as well as Regional rep assigned to my case have been great so i cant complain about the service experience thus far except that I have had too many trips in a short period of time / mileage. I've been down this same road once before and was disappointed when my special order F250 could not be repaired after several attempts. Ford treated me reasonably then and I am giving them the opportunity to do it this time. Frankly I've already started looking at replacement choices because I'm not willing to deal with the reality this will return at some point. It's going to be in Ford's / dealership court to decide if I remain a many decades blue oval customer or not.
Old 9/18/13, 07:59 AM

I called in to my local dealer and explained to them my situation. For some reason we didn't set an official appointment, but he said to come in around 7:30-8:00 am. I'm concerned that it won't make the noise since it won't be warm enough and I don't want to sit all day waiting for it to get hot.
Old 9/19/13, 09:57 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ryland52586
I noticed the issue last year on my '12 GT. I took it to my nearby dealership and told them that there was a TSB out for the arms and that mine were making a noise that sounded like an old bed when I went over speed bumps.....

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum, ryland52586! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I’d like to get this escalated for you. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number and I’ll forward it to the customer service manager for your area.

I informed my assigned CSM on Monday morning and will be taking my vehicle in for round 4 Tuesday evening. We have made arrangements for the dealership to have the vehicle for a week. I'm a fairly certain the issue will be fixed at least temporarily as the temps are dropping below the high 90's which seem to help bring out the problem.
Thank you for the update, Patman!

Originally Posted by mac951
I'm going to my dealer next Friday to have this problem solved. Just hope they have the proper parts and info to get it solved. Any bump and there's a squeak.
I can escalate this for you as well, mac951. Be sure to PM me with your info as well.

Deysha
Old 9/19/13, 11:21 AM

09192013 11:55a call from the dealership informing me there has been a new TSB issued for revised parts & heat shields. The parts are ordered and should arrive Tuesday of next week.
Old 9/19/13, 06:38 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok - I took my car in for the second round of TSB's (hopefully they are using the revised TSB from September and ordered those parts)...

I'm a little confused.

I dropped the car off Wednesday morning, 8AM - TSB shows 1.5 hours needed to do the TSB.

When I dropped off the car, they offered me a loaner and said they needed to keep the car over night to do the TSB as the tech was working with ford engineers. They needed to keep it overnight so they could test it in the cold.

Called them today to tell them I'm on my way in and the service adviser tells me that they had to lift the motor and it's taking longer than expected.

I looked at the TSB and don't see specific directions so I'm not sure on this, but it is obvious that they didn't get to it yesterday (and probably not today).

Questions:

Is a motor lift required for the latest TSB?
Would my dealer be working with Ford Engineers on this issue?
Am I right in questioning this as it sounds "fishy" to me (regarding keeping it over night).

I don't mind them keeping the car and doing the job right, but if I'm being lied to that is a little scary - if they lie to me, then what are they doing with my car?

this is just plain odd to me...

At least Deysha has been a big help in this (my ONLY issue with my 13)... Deysha, HELP!
Old 9/20/13, 07:56 AM

09192013 11:55a call from the dealership informing me there has been a new TSB issued for revised parts & heat shields. The parts are ordered and should arrive Tuesday of next week.
Thank you for the update, Patman!

Originally Posted by Xar
Ok - I took my car in for the second round of TSB's (hopefully they are using the revised TSB from September and ordered those parts)...

I'm a little confused.
I dropped the car off Wednesday morning, 8AM - TSB shows 1.5 hours needed to do the TSB.
When I dropped off the car, they offered me a loaner and said they needed to keep the car over night to do the TSB as the tech was working with ford engineers. They needed to keep it overnight so they could test it in the cold.
Called them today to tell them I'm on my way in and the service adviser tells me that they had to lift the motor and it's taking longer than expected.
I looked at the TSB and don't see specific directions so I'm not sure on this, but it is obvious that they didn't get to it yesterday (and probably not today).
Questions:

Is a motor lift required for the latest TSB?
Would my dealer be working with Ford Engineers on this issue?
Am I right in questioning this as it sounds "fishy" to me (regarding keeping it over night).
I don't mind them keeping the car and doing the job right, but if I'm being lied to that is a little scary - if they lie to me, then what are they doing with my car?
this is just plain odd to me...

At least Deysha has been a big help in this (my ONLY issue with my 13)... Deysha, HELP!
You’re very welcome, but I’m not a tech or an engineer, Xar. You may have to check with another technician or Service Manager for more info.

Deysha
Old 9/20/13, 08:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Newer than TSB 13-7-8 !?? If not, what took all of them so long to come up with this? sheeesh!
Old 9/20/13, 12:07 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Yes, TSB 13-9-3 is dated september 4th.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...sb13-09-03.htm

picking mine up in 90 min, hope this fixes it for good...
Old 9/20/13, 02:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Xar
Yes, TSB 13-9-3 is dated september 4th.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...sb13-09-03.htm

picking mine up in 90 min, hope this fixes it for good...
Chris, The only change between TSB 13-7-8 and TSB 13-9-3 are some verbiage and bolt/nut quantities, which only clarifies the procedure. No replacement part numbers have changed. So anyone that got TSB 13-7-8 performed should be fine.
Old 9/20/13, 04:20 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

thanks, I got the older one done and it sounds great... 3 days without my car just about killed me. the F150 they game me wasn't bad, but it's not my mustang...
Old 9/21/13, 11:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stupid question time...I'm about to take mine in to get the D series arms as the C series has only lasted about four months. I did a search for this TSB on the Boss and the V-6 and didn't come up with anything. Is this a failure on the GT only? And would the Boss lower control arms work on a GT without any mods like a new steering column etc...?
Old 9/22/13, 10:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
Stupid question time...I'm about to take mine in to get the D series arms as the C series has only lasted about four months. I did a search for this TSB on the Boss and the V-6 and didn't come up with anything. Is this a failure on the GT only? And would the Boss lower control arms work on a GT without any mods like a new steering column etc...?
My earlier posts in this thread were all regarding my wife's 2011 V6, FYI. Also, Boss front LCAs should be identical.
Old 9/25/13, 10:41 AM

09242013 11:30am Service Manager called to inform me my Mustang was ready to go. When I arrived the SM went over all the details of the parts & repairs and told me this time it was "Really fixed" (insert comment about the previous 3 trips being practice here). I then took my key and went to where it was parked and started it up only to see a check engine light. Sooo back inside to let SM know to which he went and got a scanner and said it was a cyliner 6 misfire. It was running fine so he cleared the code. At this point I went and looked at a Focus ST that was sitting in front of the showroom as something to think about.

I left and drove the 30 miles home only to be greeted by a repeated knock / clunk / thud over every bump while traveling at 10mph as I drove down the unpaved drive to my house. I went in my house and started looking at dealer inventory for other vehicles.

This morning I called and left a message for the regional service rep assigned to my case and she returned my call a few minutes ago. I explained to her my concerns that the parts had been replaced three times and removed an additional time making FOUR attempts in 5,000 miles and how that is just not acceptable to me. She informed me that I am not yet at the point where Ford would buy back my vehicle but that I should discuss my issues with the dealership and see what they may be willing to do to help ease my pain.

I hope everyone else ends up with a less frustrating experience and that my documentation helps others get through it with less trips. Sure it's possible that this time really is the final solution but my confidence level of that being the case is very low. I still may end up with a blue oval replacement vehicle as I have been a Ford guy since my dad came home with his 1966 Mustang but it is going to have to be a VERY competative deal to keep me.
Old 9/27/13, 08:58 PM

As of 3 hours ago I am still a Blue Oval owner it just happens to no longer be a Mustang. I had very little intention of actually buying a replacement vehicle today I only intended to see what was going to be offered and then check what other prices were going to be presented to me by other manufacturers. I was very well informed on the prices of the vehicles I was interested in as well as what I should expect for a trade in value. I was more than surprised when the paperwork for the specific Ford Focus ST I was interested in was presented to me. I was then again VERY surprised when the trade in appraisal came in quite a bit higher than what I was even going to ask for as a starting point! The sales manager came out with the offers and explained that they valued me as a long time Ford customer and they were going to do everything they could to make sure I would continue to remain one so they just put all their cards on the table face up. The icing was the rebates and zero percent financing.

I was hopeful that things would work out reasonably well, my expectations were exceeded and I can not highly enough recommend JOHNSON-SEWELL FORD in Marble Falls, Texas They went above and beyond what they could have been expected to do. Lane Thurman is a great salesperson and I would suggest anyone ask for him by name if they visit this dealership (tell him the "gun dealer" sent ya). Also a sincere thanks to Deysha for the assistance in elevating my case and the contacts that were assigned to my case.
Old 9/30/13, 07:02 AM

As of 3 hours ago I am still a Blue Oval owner it just happens to no longer be a Mustang. I had very little intention of actually buying a replacement vehicle today I only intended to see what was going to be offered and then check what other prices were going to be presented to me by other manufacturers. I was very well informed on the prices of the vehicles I was interested in as well as what I should expect for a trade in value. I was more than surprised when the paperwork for the specific Ford Focus ST I was interested in was presented to me. I was then again VERY surprised when the trade in appraisal came in quite a bit higher than what I was even going to ask for as a starting point! The sales manager came out with the offers and explained that they valued me as a long time Ford customer and they were going to do everything they could to make sure I would continue to remain one so they just put all their cards on the table face up. The icing was the rebates and zero percent financing.

I was hopeful that things would work out reasonably well, my expectations were exceeded and I can not highly enough recommend JOHNSON-SEWELL FORD in Marble Falls, Texas They went above and beyond what they could have been expected to do. Lane Thurman is a great salesperson and I would suggest anyone ask for him by name if they visit this dealership (tell him the "gun dealer" sent ya). Also a sincere thanks to Deysha for the assistance in elevating my case and the contacts that were assigned to my case.
You're very welcome, Patman! Thank you for the update. Enjoy your new ride!

Deysha
Old 9/30/13, 11:53 AM
GT Member

Just had new lower arms installed (warranty) by the dealership on my wife's '12 Pony Package 3.7L. Surprise; it seems to have cured the problem! Of course, after waiting for over a month, I had to go to the dealership, raise some hell...and then my "service advisor" called parts and found out that the parts had been in for two weeks, but nobody called us! World Ford, Pensacola....DO NOT GO TO THEM!
Old 9/30/13, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Music man in Pcola
Just had new lower arms installed (warranty) by the dealership on my wife's '12 Pony Package 3.7L. Surprise; it seems to have cured the problem! Of course, after waiting for over a month, I had to go to the dealership, raise some hell...and then my "service advisor" called parts and found out that the parts had been in for two weeks, but nobody called us!
Thank you for the update, Music man in Pcola!

Deysha
Old 10/1/13, 03:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
As some of you may remember I said I would report back on how the new TSB fix worked out after our road trip. Here's the numbers from the trip. Good news is the fix has held, and the LCA's are still quiet.

Name:  StateFairtour2013288_zps40346091.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  92.3 KB

Quick Reply: Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak