Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/13, 10:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak

I just spoke with my local Customer Service Rep. She said there is a revised TSB to be out in approx. three weeks for the dreaded lower control arm squeak. The revised version will include a heat shield in hopes that cures the problem. She will let me know when the parts arrive at my dealer (hopefully) so I can schedule the Wifey's for service. I'll keep you good folks updated.
Old 6/27/13, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool. This is regarding the front control arms correct? I'm bringing my car in for front suspension noises on Saturday and I assume that's what I have.
Old 6/27/13, 01:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MadMoose
Cool. This is regarding the front control arms correct? I'm bringing my car in for front suspension noises on Saturday and I assume that's what I have.

Mad, lower control arm is correct. If yours squeaks/creaks over speed bumps, etc. mainly when it gets hot under the hood that's probably the reason. Just a suggestion, if that is the problem I would wait for the new TSB. Others have had theirs repaired, and the squeak returned soon after. The car is safe to drive. I had mine checked to make sure all was good except for the squeaking.
Old 6/27/13, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes it definitely gets louder as temperature increases. Worst going slowly over speed bumps. Front Suspension also pops when taking off slowly from a stop. I'm going to take it in anyway since there's no tsb yet and at least have it checked out and documented.
Old 6/27/13, 10:56 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes it definitely gets louder as temperature increases. Worst going slowly over speed bumps. Front Suspension also pops when taking off slowly from a stop. I'm going to take it in anyway since there's no tsb yet and at least have it checked out and documented.

Now that it's finally warming up around here, I also just started noticing the suspension pop when taking off. It's pretty annoying because you can clearly feel it through the pedal and the floorboard.

I'm interested to see what comes out of it. I've had the squeak over speed bumps since day 1 but I haven't been able to take it in since it's my only car and I work crazy schedules. If there is finally a fix that works, it would definitely be worth dropping my car at the dealer and borrowing a car from my folks to get it fixed!
Old 6/28/13, 09:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Mad, there is a TSB out now 12-8-24, however in some instances the squeak returns shortly after repairs. The new TSB will include a heat shield that I assume will divert heat away from the control arms. This is the reason I'm going to wait a few weeks for the new TSB to be issued. I would hate to tear the car apart, and the problem come back. Your dealer may not be familiar with the new TSB. My service guy thanked me for telling him about it, because he hadn't heard on it yet.

@Josh, sounds like you have the same problem.

Last edited by wanted33; 6/28/13 at 10:02 AM.
Old 6/28/13, 10:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Mad, there is a TSB out now 12-8-24, however in some instances the squeak returns shortly after repairs. The new TSB will include a heat shield that I assume will divert heat away from the control arms. This is the reason I'm going to wait a few weeks for the new TSB to be issued. I would hate to tear the car apart, and the problem come back. Your dealer may not be familiar with the new TSB. My service guy thanked me for telling him about it, because he hadn't heard on it yet.

@Josh, sounds like you have the same problem.
I had mine replaced with the other TSB and it came back a couple weeks later.

Hopefully this will fix it
Old 6/28/13, 10:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
I had mine replaced with the other TSB and it came back a couple weeks later.

Hopefully this will fix it
I hear ya Ethan. Hope the new one works also. Our Mustang is actually the Wifey's. She pretty good about things like this, but it's got to where she is louder than the car. She's pretty tried of it sounding like it's 50 years old, and I can't blame her.
Old 6/28/13, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just spoke with my local Customer Service Rep. She said there is a revised TSB to be out in approx. three weeks for the dreaded lower control arm squeak. The revised version will include a heat shield in hopes that cures the problem. She will let me know when the parts arrive at my dealer (hopefully) so I can schedule the Wifey's for service. I'll keep you good folks updated.
Well, that’s some promising news. I just had my 2012 V6 front lower control arms replaced yesterday under warranty with the revision “C” type for the second time. The first time was at 7,000 miles and I currently have 19,000 miles on the odometer. Perhaps the third time will be a charm with the new heat shield design?
Old 6/29/13, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Just got back from the dealership and they confirmed its the front control arms. Hope the fix comes soon. The noises this thing makes are ridiculous.
Old 6/30/13, 03:39 AM
GT Member

keep me inform - I'm located in Qatar. Yesterday I bring my stang for her first oil change. The technician at Quick lane said its the front absorber after test drive & I can bring to the Ford workshop at industrial anytime to change it FOC.

But mine- The noise comes and goes. hmmm...
Old 7/1/13, 02:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Z.r.q Othman
keep me inform - I'm located in Qatar. Yesterday I bring my stang for her first oil change. The technician at Quick lane said its the front absorber after test drive & I can bring to the Ford workshop at industrial anytime to change it FOC.

But mine- The noise comes and goes. hmmm...
Z.r.q., when your out driving try to notice if the noise gets louder as the engine heats up. If so, you have the same problem.
Old 7/1/13, 02:09 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the update on this TSB wanted33, I was just about to take my car in for this but now I'll hold off until the new TSB. It's quite an embarrassing noise for a brand new 5.0 to be making, thats for sure.
Old 7/1/13, 02:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by fivepointgo
Awesome! Thanks for the update on this TSB wanted33, I was just about to take my car in for this but now I'll hold off until the new TSB. It's quite an embarrassing noise for a brand new 5.0 to be making, thats for sure.

You are welcome sir. As I said, ours is the Wifey's car. She ain't happy, so you know I'm not happy.

The Customer Rep. said she will give me an update e-mail this coming Friday (oh yeah, and I'll respect you in the morning). I report back with any pertinent info. I get.
Old 7/1/13, 05:04 PM
GT Member

Z.r.q., when your out driving try to notice if the noise gets louder as the engine heats up. If so, you have the same problem.
yep- driving for the and hour or 2.. No sound.. But after like 5 hrs of driving the sound it more noticeable whenever going over certain high speed bumps. Its also weather related. Cooler temp & hrs of driving - the sound it not noticeable.
Old 7/1/13, 05:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Z.r.q Othman
yep- driving for the and hour or 2.. No sound.. But after like 5 hrs of driving the sound it more noticeable whenever going over certain high speed bumps. Its also weather related. Cooler temp & hrs of driving - the sound it not noticeable.
Is it like a groaning/ticking sound when driving slow over variances in the road? I also get a noticeable "pop" when turning my wheel full lock and backing out of a parking spot... can feel it through the floor boards. I also get a loud thud when going over some speed bumps at like 3-4mph. Almost feels like someone with a sledgehammer slapped the wheel.
Old 7/2/13, 01:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Sieran
Is it like a groaning/ticking sound when driving slow over variances in the road? I also get a noticeable "pop" when turning my wheel full lock and backing out of a parking spot... can feel it through the floor boards. I also get a loud thud when going over some speed bumps at like 3-4mph. Almost feels like someone with a sledgehammer slapped the wheel.

Sieran, some are experiencing a bumping problem also. I'm not sure if that is related to the groaning/squeaking when going over bumps. I would venture to say yes, as the control arms are also part of that process. Mine doesn't have the popping noise (yet).
Old 7/2/13, 10:25 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are welcome sir. As I said, ours is the Wifey's car. She ain't happy, so you know I'm not happy.

The Customer Rep. said she will give me an update e-mail this coming Friday (oh yeah, and I'll respect you in the morning). I report back with any pertinent info. I get.
I'll be checking this thread for sure!

I wanted to install my springs and PH bar this weekend, but I want to get this LCA problem sorted with the dealership before I make any suspension changes.

I'm 100% sure that I'm having the same problem....we had 90 degree weather the past few days and the "pop" in the pedal/floorboard when accelerating from a stop is pretty bad once the car gets heated up.

Thanks for posting all this info and I'll be sure to report back with anything I find out from my dealership.
Old 7/3/13, 07:58 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thank you for the update, wanted33!

I’ve escalated your case, MadMoose.

Originally Posted by jp1seattle
Now that it's finally warming up around here, I also just started noticing the suspension pop when taking off. It's pretty annoying because you can clearly feel it through the pedal and the floorboard.
Originally Posted by fivepointgo
Originally Posted by Sieran
Let me escalate yours as well, guys. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 7/3/13, 03:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Thank you for the update, wanted33!

Deysha
No problem Deysha. Glad to be of some help. We'll get them fixed up, and ready to go for the summer.

Quick Reply: Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak