Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/15, 02:06 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by CrzRsn
The control arms look new (clean, although some chips and scratches, correct part number with -D suffix), but the shields called out in the drawing are clearly missing so I'm not sure what the dealer did or didn't do. If all the dealer forgot to do is install the shield, it still doesn't explain why brand new bushings are this bad.
---
Sorry to hear about this, Mike. The shields are the key, here. It's the direct heat from the motor that causes these control arm bushings to squeak, that's why it's worse for warmer climate areas. It's no surprise that without the new shields, your new set-up may squeak. I would escalate to the Service Manager, and insist that they get the proper TSB shields in stock before you bring your car back, then have them install them properly. I live in Las Vegas (read...'hot'). I had the squeak within a year of having my 2011 GT from new, got the shields, no squeak for several years now (I hope I did not just jinx myself!). Once the dealer makes your fix, when you go to pick up the car, ask the Service Manager to look under the hood with you to show you the correct install of the shields. Also, one more thing...after it's all buttoned-up for you, you may want to go back to the dealer a few weeks after the install. Reason being is sometimes these suspension parts 'settle in', and you'll want to have the dealer re-torque everything down to spec. I know it's OCD, but that's how I roll ! Good luck.
Old 7/26/15, 09:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
My car is going in next week for this. Had it done 2 years ago and now it is back. It is being done under extended waranty.

I'll have to check for the shields.
Old 7/28/15, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the dealer is offering to install the shields. How nice of them to offer what should've been done in the first place. They're saying they will look at the bushings to make sure they're ok too. I'm not too sure what they're going to look at because a static visual inspection of a piece of rubber won't tell you too much, especially when its cold.

I'm not too thrilled on this solution. If the control arms are this bad, I want them off the car and new ones on. I don't want someone to slap a bandaid onto it and then have to come in next summer when it all goes wrong again.

Last edited by CrzRsn; 7/28/15 at 07:33 AM.
Old 7/29/15, 11:24 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Mike - connect with the Ford Rep on this forum, Deysha, she will help escalate the issue.
Old 7/29/15, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Mike - connect with the Ford Rep on this forum, Deysha, she will help escalate the issue.
I've already spoke with the corporate regional service manager, and she said that this is all that can be done. I expressed my concerns to her, but she kept saying that there's nothing that can be done and that the dealer will install the shields and that they will exam the parts for damage and replace if necessary. I told her that if they install the shields, send me home, and the problem comes back, we will be in lemon law territory so its in their best interests to replace the whole control arm assembly, but she did't seem to care and kept to her story of "the dealer will inspect the part and make a decision then" and that Ford cannot help me out at all with the inconvenience because this is a dealer problem.

I did stop by the dealer the other day, and tried to demonstrate the squeak to the service manager over a speed bump in their parking lot, but I couldn't replicate it. I could get the front end to groan really really loudly though, which is called out on the same TSB. I managed to get a video from a bumpy road near work though, so I'll play that back to the guy when I go in.
Old 7/30/15, 01:35 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Thanks for the mention, PJRManagement!

I've already spoke with the corporate regional service manager, and she said that this is all that can be done. I expressed my concerns to her, but she kept saying that there's nothing that can be done and that the dealer will install the shields and that they will exam the parts for damage and replace if necessary. I told her that if they install the shields, send me home, and the problem comes back, we will be in lemon law territory so its in their best interests to replace the whole control arm assembly, but she did't seem to care and kept to her story of "the dealer will inspect the part and make a decision then" and that Ford cannot help me out at all with the inconvenience because this is a dealer problem.

I did stop by the dealer the other day, and tried to demonstrate the squeak to the service manager over a speed bump in their parking lot, but I couldn't replicate it. I could get the front end to groan really really loudly though, which is called out on the same TSB. I managed to get a video from a bumpy road near work though, so I'll play that back to the guy when I go in.
I'm happy to get this reviewed for you, CrzRsn. Please, PM me with your case number, or your VIN, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 8/6/15, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by FordService
I'm happy to get this reviewed for you, CrzRsn. Please, PM me with your case number, or your VIN, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
The car is at the dealer now. I will PM you if its still having issues when I get it back. Thank you.
Old 8/7/15, 07:47 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The car is at the dealer now. I will PM you if its still having issues when I get it back. Thank you.
No problem, CrzRsn!

Deysha
Old 8/7/15, 04:27 PM

PM'd you... twice actually. Once with the whole situation, once with an update after picking the car up.

For everyone else, I just picked the car up. Headshields were added, but its just as squeaky as before on the road, and grunts just as loud over speed bumps. The dealer said its 100% not the bushings since their tech looked them over completely, though I'm not sure what looking at the surface of a rubber component will tell you. The car is going back to them after the Woodward Dream Cruise and they said they'll be calling in engineers from Dearborn. I'm still convinced its the bushings since the symptoms match the TSB way too closely.
Old 8/7/15, 04:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Find a Ford employee and Woodward and raise hell.
Old 8/16/15, 11:49 PM

So, mine was repaired at 14,129 miles last August 13th 2014. Guess what today I have a little over 20,000 miles on the Stang and it is 1 year later since repair. Today we are out riding around town, it is 102 degrees here in Northen California. Clunk and creak at every low speed bump and hump. I dread going back to a dealer as the last one that replaced the control arms totally screwed up my alignment to the point that Les Schwab spent 2 hours getting it right. Seems given all of the pressure on the manufactures right now that Ford should step up and fix this mess. All i heard all day was clunk and creak. Going to try the local Ford dealer here in town first to see if they will try a repair. Is there an aftermarket set somewhere to kill this problem once and for all? Funny thing , I have a 2014 RAM 2500 Cummins, they have had a clunk problem for months with the cab fluid based mounts. I had the truck in a number of times for that clunk. They just came out with a new body mount - just had them installed and for the last 3 weeks no clunks. In the case of the RAM it would start with in a day or 2 after being in the service dept for the repair. Like the Mustang warm weather made it worse. The fluid was leaking out of the old mounts and it appears this was because the bolts were too long that mounted them from the frame to the cab. In the case of RAM I had a customer advocate calling me every week till the truck was fixed - maybe RAM is a little more customer focused than Ford? If this keeps up I may make a change to Challenger. Anyway if there is an aftermarket solution that is probably worth a try.

Last edited by hobbie1; 8/16/15 at 11:51 PM. Reason: text
Old 8/19/15, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by hobbie1
So, mine was repaired at 14,129 miles last August 13th 2014. Guess what today I have a little over 20,000 miles on the Stang and it is 1 year later since repair. Today we are out riding around town, it is 102 degrees here in Northen California. Clunk and creak at every low speed bump and hump. I dread going back to a dealer as the last one that replaced the control arms totally screwed up my alignment to the point that Les Schwab spent 2 hours getting it right. Seems given all of the pressure on the manufactures right now that Ford should step up and fix this mess. All i heard all day was clunk and creak. Going to try the local Ford dealer here in town first to see if they will try a repair. Is there an aftermarket set somewhere to kill this problem once and for all? Funny thing , I have a 2014 RAM 2500 Cummins, they have had a clunk problem for months with the cab fluid based mounts. I had the truck in a number of times for that clunk. They just came out with a new body mount - just had them installed and for the last 3 weeks no clunks. In the case of the RAM it would start with in a day or 2 after being in the service dept for the repair. Like the Mustang warm weather made it worse. The fluid was leaking out of the old mounts and it appears this was because the bolts were too long that mounted them from the frame to the cab. In the case of RAM I had a customer advocate calling me every week till the truck was fixed - maybe RAM is a little more customer focused than Ford? If this keeps up I may make a change to Challenger. Anyway if there is an aftermarket solution that is probably worth a try.
Took the car to the dealer mid day when it was warmer. Took the tech for a ride and boom it made the noise on the first hump. Tech said take it back and we'll order the parts again. Then he mentioned that he was doing a 12 with the problem now, for the 2nd time. So they ordered the parts and they plan to replace them next week. Service writer said they are seeing more and more of them. Note to Ford - fix the design /part and save everyone some grief and Ford Motor some $$$$..
Old 8/20/15, 11:26 PM

Just an update - dealer called today - there have been some part updates to address this problem - we'll see after next week when they do the work
Old 8/29/15, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by hobbie1
Just an update - dealer called today - there have been some part updates to address this problem - we'll see after next week when they do the work
Here is the latest

Mine were replaced a year ago. They failed again. Ford dealer contacted Ford and replaced them again. Seems like they pretty much did the same control arms and shields as last time - the same part numbers are there, however there is a number of bolt assemblies listed this time that were replaced. Dealer said they have done several in the last few days, its hot right now in Northern California, they said that Ford told them that the rubber has been changed. Not sure I believe that one as the part # revisions on the old invoice and the new one are the same. Like I said the big difference is all of the bolts listed.

Car is very quiet.
Old 8/29/15, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm in the east bay, and drove my car around in that 100+ degree heat. My car is just over a year old. I have not had any issues with these control arms. Quite surprising, as my car has all the other "normal" S197 issues...

I do have high flow cats though, and have had them since December. I wonder if that makes a difference, since they are a lot narrower (further away from the control arm bushings) than the stock cats, and I'm sure they don't transfer as much heat due to the increased flow. Also, my car was not built with the updated parts that have the shields...
Old 8/30/15, 07:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe the cats are the issue. My friend that removed his almost immediately hasn't had the issue either.
Old 9/1/15, 02:03 AM

My dealer changed the front arms 4 times with the revision D and after one week of use and sometimes even less than a week the squeak comes again.

Did anyone try a 3rd party arms that are better than the stock revision D ?
Old 9/13/15, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. My warranty is almost up and recently I have been hearing some weird noises from the front when going over bumps! I have an appointment to get a couple minor issues looked at, I will add this to the list.
Old 9/14/15, 05:05 AM

Meh...stupid old pickup truck noises.

Last edited by fewt; 9/15/15 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10/11/15, 10:22 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The dealer was unaware of the TSB - thanks to this forum I gave them the number and they promptly ordered and replaced the arms, bolts, and added the heat shields. It is nice and quiet now and I am glad they took care of it because they said it would not have been covered once it is out of the 3/36000 warranty.

Quick Reply: Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak