Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/13, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It appears I have at least one "D" arm but no heat shields. I have made an appointment for next week and given Deysha my info. The customer service at my dealership is exceptional, dare I say equal to the Volvo dealership my wife's car was bought and is serviced.

The creak / groan is slightly quieter than the previous two times and their is no poping at this point but that could just be that I have caught it early.

Last edited by Patman; 9/6/13 at 10:10 AM.
Old 9/6/13, 12:26 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SoFlaBoss
You need to verify whether or not the noise is coming from the very latest front lower control arm(s), the ones whose part number have the suffix"D" and have heat shields. If one or more noisy arm is an older arm without the heat shields, then take it back to your dealer and ask Deysha (FordService) to escalate your concerns.
Thank you for the support, SoFlaBoss!

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
I'm disappointed, too. I had this latest TSB (# 13-7-8, with heat shields) installed first week in August. Dealer took two days (not really sure why - sheet lists 1.8 hours). Noise gone...temporarily. Creak/pop came back last week in August, louder than before, especially at low speeds, while turning the steering wheel. Brought car back to same dealer, asked them to torque everything down again, and re-lube again. Dealer took two days (again...not really sure why). Noise gone. Let's see...
Originally Posted by jp1seattle
I also got the fix finally in early August....I've been waiting a few weeks to post so I could be sure everything is kosher.
So far so good for me. No noises or creaks. The bad thing is that it really hasn't been too hot here since I got it fixed. I'll definitely be keeping an eye (or an ear) on it to see if it comes back. I'm hoping that the fix will stick for me.
My dealer only took a few hours to replace both sides and align the car. I was definitely pleased with the amount of time it took. I'll update if the problem comes back, but for now I'm feeling satisfied with things.
Thank you for the update, guys!

Originally Posted by Patman
It appears I have at least one "D" arm but no heat shields. I have made an appointment for next week and given Deysha my info. The customer service at my dealership is exceptional, dare I say equal to the Volvo dealership my wife's car was bought and is serviced.

The creak / groan is slightly quieter than the previous two times and their is no poping at this point but that could just be that I have caught it early.
I’ll get back to you as soon as possible, Patman.

Deysha
Old 9/6/13, 02:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
We will be leaving for an approx. 5000 mile road trip this Sunday. That should tell the story on the latest TSB. I'll report back when we return home in about 3 1/2 weeks. Got my fingers crossed.

Last edited by wanted33; 9/7/13 at 01:34 PM.
Old 9/8/13, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Just an update, had the previous TSB done in july and the noise hasn't returned yet. Been pretty hot out and driving everyday
Old 9/8/13, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've noticed the creaking over speed bumps after I've driven in the Texas summer heat for a hour or more. Unfortunately for me I don't think I can get by with warranty coverage since I've got Eibach springs on her and oh ya the supercharger (you got to pay to play LOL).
My question is will it get worse or cause other damage? If not I can probably live with the occasional creaks.
Oh by the way it looks like the TSB 13-7-8 has been replaced with TSB 13-9-3. I believe the only difference is they include the 2014 in it.
Old 9/9/13, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by GT50GO
I've noticed the creaking over speed bumps after I've driven in the Texas summer heat for a hour or more. Unfortunately for me I don't think I can get by with warranty coverage since I've got Eibach springs on her and oh ya the supercharger (you got to pay to play LOL).
My question is will it get worse or cause other damage? If not I can probably live with the occasional creaks.
Oh by the way it looks like the TSB 13-7-8 has been replaced with TSB 13-9-3. I believe the only difference is they include the 2014 in it.
You should still speak to your Service Manager first, GT50GO. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 9/9/13, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
You should still speak to your Service Manager first, GT50GO. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Thanks, yes I do plan on talking to my dealership since this is an issue that occurs with no mods, it could not hurt to ask!

Thanks!
Old 9/10/13, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by GT50GO
Thanks, yes I do plan on talking to my dealership since this is an issue that occurs with no mods, it could not hurt to ask!

Thanks!
You're welcome! Keep me posted.

Deysha
Old 9/12/13, 01:13 PM

09/10/13 - I dropped mine off Tuesday evening for another go.
09/11/13 10:55a - Contacted by Ford rep to let me know the case was open and they had spoken to the dealer and made all resources available to them.
09/11/13 5:45p - contacted by dealer to let me know they did not have a solution yet.
Old 9/12/13, 03:02 PM

9/12/13 4:00p I called the dealer and was told Ford is directing the tech on a few different testing procedures to determine if there was an issue on the install of the revised parts. Not looking like the problem will be solved but the car will be put back together for pickup tomorrow afternoon.
Old 9/12/13, 06:49 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
9/12/13 4:00p I called the dealer and was told Ford is directing the tech on a few different testing procedures to determine if there was an issue on the install of the revised parts. Not looking like the problem will be solved but the car will be put back together for pickup tomorrow afternoon.
---
Hey Patman. Be cautious. My dealer performed the entire TSB 13-7-8 install, with heat shields. Noise came back three weeks later, louder. The entire install needed to be tightened and lubed. Not professional. This may be the case with yours. Good luck.
Old 9/12/13, 09:11 PM

Thanks I'll try to keep the saga up to date. At this point I've started looking at what my alternatives are since I'm losing a lot of love for this car at this point. factory install and then two different updated sets of control arms in the past 5,000 miles doesn't make me feel this is a long term relationship. I really like the Mustang and am considering another as well as other choices since I figure the odds are in my favor of not getting another control arm eater.
Old 9/13/13, 06:48 PM

09/13/2013 6:00p I picked up my reassembled Mustang from the dealer. Yes reassembled with the same parts that were making the noise. "New installation & torque specs" were used on the reassembly process. Dealer put 43 miles on it and is leaving the ticket open for now. I put another 30 on it coming home. Time will tell I guess.
Old 9/15/13, 11:25 AM

09/14/2013 10:00a I have now put 43 miles on it since picking up from the dealer and the groan has returned when going over speed bumps. I crossed the first one at a VERY slow rate to see what happened and bam it returned as I went down the back side. Then 3 more and it got progressively more pronounced. As I continued to run errands it only reared its ugly head on speed bumps but when turning in to parking spaces on two different instances, one to the left and the other right I got a shudder in the steering where it didn't want to turn for a moment.

Last edited by Patman; 9/15/13 at 11:27 AM.
Old 9/15/13, 11:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Patman, Sorry you're noises haven't gone away. We have put probably 300 miles on my wife's 2011 stang since the TSB was completed, including many speed bumps that previously made the noise, and all is quiet. It's still very hot here in So. FL too.
Old 9/16/13, 02:51 PM

09/14/2013 10:00a I have now put 43 miles on it since picking up from the dealer and the groan has returned when going over speed bumps. I crossed the first one at a VERY slow rate to see what happened and bam it returned as I went down the back side. Then 3 more and it got progressively more pronounced. As I continued to run errands it only reared its ugly head on speed bumps but when turning in to parking spaces on two different instances, one to the left and the other right I got a shudder in the steering where it didn't want to turn for a moment.
Be sure to let your CSM know, Patman. Keep me updated.

Deysha
Old 9/16/13, 05:01 PM

My story

I noticed the issue last year on my '12 GT. I took it to my nearby dealership and told them that there was a TSB out for the arms and that mine were making a noise that sounded like an old bed when I went over speed bumps.

After three trips to the dealership, they were finally able to duplicate the sound and replace the parts. While replacing them, they managed to get my car stuck on a lift so I was without it for two days instead of one.

I picked it the third morning and took it home. Upon getting home, I noticed that the steering wheel was now turned slightly to the left instead of being straight when I was going straight. I called back into the dealership and asked if they had done an alignment after they had replaced the parts. The manager said that the parts were such that they could be replaced without needing an alignment. I said that it would seem to me that anything involving the front end would seem to warrant an alignment. He disagreed and said that because the service didn't say it needed it, he would have to charge me for it.

Frustrated, I gave up on it.

I've since moved to a state where the temperature has been around 80-90 every day. I've noticed that the parts have started making the noise again when going over bumps, worse than they were, and now even starting to make noise when turning as well. I'm getting close to my bumper to bumper warranty and I don't want to go over.

Should I take it in and see about getting them replaced or just deal with it? I'm afraid that they either won't do an alignment or that it being slightly out of alignment will have caused my tires to wear irregularly.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9/17/13, 05:36 AM

I informed my assigned CSM on Monday morning and will be taking my vehicle in for round 4 Tuesday evening. We have made arrangements for the dealership to have the vehicle for a week. I'm a fairly certain the issue will be fixed at least temporarily as the temps are dropping below the high 90's which seem to help bring out the problem.
Old 9/17/13, 06:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ryland52586

Should I take it in and see about getting them replaced or just deal with it? I'm afraid that they either won't do an alignment or that it being slightly out of alignment will have caused my tires to wear irregularly.

Thanks in advance.
If you want to listen to the squeaking and have to pay for the repair later, then sure, just deal with it. I'd take that thing in immediately, personally.

If your car needed an alignment earlier and didn't get it, avoiding the issue by not taking it in isn't going to fix the issue; your tires may just keep wearing irregularly and then you're going to be out $800 or something for new tires too. Take it in to a new dealer and see what they can do for you.
Old 9/17/13, 02:32 PM
GT Member

I'm going to my dealer next Friday to have this problem solved. Just hope they have the proper parts and info to get it solved. Any bump and there's a squeak.

Quick Reply: Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak