Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/14, 12:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OX1
Understood, but I want to start with the formed heat shields from ford and modify to attach using the two existing main bracket holddown bolts. Got PN's from another site. Ordered them today from local dealer, $9.33 each, will be in tomorrow.
I saw drawings of the newer housings and they are totally different. Really couldn't see how to make the shields attach to the older ones. Let us know how these work out.

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Does anyone have a picture of these heat shields / bushing Installed?
Post #113
Old 9/11/14, 06:03 AM
OX1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
I saw drawings of the newer housings and they are totally different. Really couldn't see how to make the shields attach to the older ones. Let us know how these work out.
Exploded view looks like the bushing hold down bracket (for lack of
a better name) is identical except for the 3 small tabs that the sheet
metal screws holding shield bolt to.

If you add larger tabs to shield so that main hold down bolts mount the shield, don't see why it would not work.
Obviously it will never be bolt in unless someone comes up with a shield that incorporates those extra tabs.

The only other thing I may need is new locknuts nuts and/or bolts if
they are torque to yield. Actually, after looking at it, I will just get another set of
nuts and not even remove the stock nuts/bolts. Extra nuts don't have to be
anything special, they just need to hold shield.

Attached Images  

Last edited by OX1; 9/11/14 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10/17/14, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, my D series lasted one whole year before the squeak came back. I'm also really surprised at how the deterioration of the hydro bushing effects the handling and ride of the car.

Has anyone fabricated an additional heat shield between the cats and the hydro bushing or applied some type of heat shielding on the heat shield on the D series? I need some extra protection to keep my lower control arms healthy longer.
Old 10/19/14, 05:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm getting mine done in a couple of weeks when they come in from the states. We will see how long it takes and how well they do at keeping me informed on what's going on.
Old 10/21/14, 11:23 AM

Hi Deysha,

I wonder if this has already been addressed for 2014 Mustang GTs because I have already experienced this same squeaking sound on the front every time I go over a speed bump. It gets pretty annoying considering that the car I drive has just been with me for two weeks.

Is there already a fix for this? Is there a revised TSB for this? I have already reported this issue with the dealership here in the Philippines (Ford Global City) and am asking them to check this when I go for 1000 Kms check up.

Thanks
Old 10/22/14, 07:56 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
Well, my D series lasted one whole year before the squeak came back. I'm also really surprised at how the deterioration of the hydro bushing effects the handling and ride of the car.

Has anyone fabricated an additional heat shield between the cats and the hydro bushing or applied some type of heat shielding on the heat shield on the D series? I need some extra protection to keep my lower control arms healthy longer.
Are you experiencing this concern again, Trumpetlon?

Originally Posted by pauljohnpena
Hi Deysha,

I wonder if this has already been addressed for 2014 Mustang GTs because I have already experienced this same squeaking sound on the front every time I go over a speed bump. It gets pretty annoying considering that the car I drive has just been with me for two weeks.

Is there already a fix for this? Is there a revised TSB for this? I have already reported this issue with the dealership here in the Philippines (Ford Global City) and am asking them to check this when I go for 1000 Kms check up.

Thanks
Yes it has, pauljohnpena. Your overseas dealer should be able to get any information they need.

Deysha
Old 10/24/14, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by FordService
Are you experiencing this concern again, Trumpetlon? Yes it has, pauljohnpena. Your overseas dealer should be able to get any information they need. Deysha
Thanks!
Old 10/25/14, 12:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Are you experiencing this concern again, Trumpetlon?

Deysha
The dealer already replaced the arms for me under warranty last week Deysha, thanks for asking. The D series is a big improvement with the heat shields, but in the Phoenix area heat, the hydro bushings still deteriorated. I was just wondering if adding an additional heat shield or adding some heat resistant coating would help.
Old 10/27/14, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by pauljohnpena
Thanks!
You’re welcome, pauljohnpena!

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
The dealer already replaced the arms for me under warranty last week Deysha, thanks for asking. The D series is a big improvement with the heat shields, but in the Phoenix area heat, the hydro bushings still deteriorated. I was just wondering if adding an additional heat shield or adding some heat resistant coating would help.
Great! You’re very welcome, Trumpetlon!

Deysha
Old 11/2/14, 09:28 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Should be taking my car in next week for the LCA replacement! Finally no squeaks like I'm driving a 70' Coup De Ville.
Old 11/7/14, 08:57 AM

I also have massive squeak...picked it up with 12800 miles...the squeak is much worse at 15k miles... Doesn't matter if car is hot or cold
Old 11/7/14, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by EvolutionGT
I also have massive squeak...picked it up with 12800 miles...the squeak is much worse at 15k miles... Doesn't matter if car is hot or cold
Welcome to the forum, EvolutionGT! Have you addressed the noise with your dealer yet? If not, be sure to speak with your service manager, as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 12/8/14, 10:50 PM
GT Member

Ahh back again...I had forgotten all about this, my 2013 Mustang did this after a few thousand miles, had the TSB done under warranty, ford called the control arms back for warranty analysis...Took delivery of my 2014 GT with 500 some miles on it, due to being a dealer trade, it was driven that distance to me, and I noticed that squeak over bumps IMMEDIATELY...I will take care of this next week...
Old 12/8/14, 10:54 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Warmer climates usually make this problem more frequent.
Old 12/9/14, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Earlsays
Ahh back again...I had forgotten all about this, my 2013 Mustang did this after a few thousand miles, had the TSB done under warranty, ford called the control arms back for warranty analysis...Took delivery of my 2014 GT with 500 some miles on it, due to being a dealer trade, it was driven that distance to me, and I noticed that squeak over bumps IMMEDIATELY...I will take care of this next week...
Let me know if you need me, Earlsays.

Deysha
Old 12/11/14, 04:10 PM

This is frustrating... I bought a GT 2014 TP and two weeks later it start making noise in the front right so i took the car to the dealer and they fixed. 3 weeks later the noises are back and now in both front sides! this is my first experience with a Ford car and it's not going well. The car just have 1358 miles at the odometer and it feels like an old car, that's why i said it's frustrating.

-Any help will be very appreciated-
ANG
Old 12/12/14, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

^ I know what you mean! I thought this noise was the normal sound the suspension makes when going over bumps but then it started to get louder and make popping noises. I also took my 10 year old rusty ford ranger with all original suspension over the same speed bumps and it doesn't make a peep. Same with my wife's car, not a **** sound.
Old 12/14/14, 01:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

So take it in and have them fix it and give you a loaner. Makes a big difference.
Old 12/15/14, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Andres E. Nieves Garcia
This is frustrating... I bought a GT 2014 TP and two weeks later it start making noise in the front right so i took the car to the dealer and they fixed. 3 weeks later the noises are back and now in both front sides! this is my first experience with a Ford car and it's not going well. The car just have 1358 miles at the odometer and it feels like an old car, that's why i said it's frustrating.

-Any help will be very appreciated-
Welcome to the forum, Andres E. Nieves Garcia! Have you addressed this with your local Ford Dealer? If so, what have they said?

Deysha
Old 12/23/14, 01:51 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well - having mine done again for the 3rd time ... hopefully this new revision works better...

Quick Reply: Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak