Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/14, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by typesredline
Thought I read that a couple of people with heat shields still had issues.
I had my car updated last October with the D series LCA's that include the heat shield and they have been silent through many 100+ degree days. All of the previous LCA's started groaning within one month of summer temps, so I think they finally solved the issue.
Old 7/3/14, 08:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
I had my car updated last October with the D series LCA's that include the heat shield and they have been silent through many 100+ degree days. All of the previous LCA's started groaning within one month of summer temps, so I think they finally solved the issue.
Ok cool. Anyone know the most recent TSB for this? 13-7-8 is the one I have but I think there is a newer one.
Old 7/3/14, 08:43 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by xstriker
Is this a problem that has followed into the 2014s?

I've been having a creaking issue when I go over bumps and/or rough roads, and at first, I thought it might have been a shoddy exhaust installation, but I've gotten under my car and everything is tacked and bolted down tight.

Along with the creaking, there's what sounds like a thud (what sounds most like something bouncing and hitting the underside of my car) when I'm going over the rough areas.

Do these sound like symptoms of the LCA issues? I just picked up my car from my dealership who said they "couldn't replicate the problem" and they had "driven my car several ways." However, I took a photo of my mileage before I dropped off my car (5,132.5) and afterwards (5,132.8). Needless to say, I'm a little furious.
Hello xstriker,

Let me get this escalated for you. Please make an appointment with your Ford Dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 7/4/14, 10:40 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Ok cool. Anyone know the most recent TSB for this? 13-7-8 is the one I have but I think there is a newer one.
---
13-7-8 includes all new parts/bushings and the all-important heat shields. I'm not sure there is anything newer/better. I live in Las Vegas, plenty hot here. I've had my 2011 GT updated with 13-7-8 many months ago, no more squeaks.
Old 9/3/14, 08:47 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any other 2014 owners seeing this issue? I only have 1000 miles on my V6 and no evidence of this issue so far.
Old 9/3/14, 06:20 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The newer one is 13-9-3, and I just had mine done last week. Finally, it's silent!
Old 9/4/14, 12:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm really hesitant to start this process where I am. I dont' want to be without my car for a month while they wait for parts to come in.
Old 9/4/14, 05:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I'm really hesitant to start this process where I am. I dont' want to be without my car for a month while they wait for parts to come in.
Can't they just call you when the parts come in? Once the parts come in it only takes a few hours to fix.
Old 9/4/14, 11:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm in Germany and they do thing their "own way" here. I'm getting tired of the 70's Cadillac creaks over stuff. Ha ha.
Old 9/5/14, 10:58 AM
GT Member

Oh man, that's lame....

Yeah, I was pretty annoyed with the creak as well. The good news is that it's been well over a year for me and my front end has been silent since the fix. Hope you can find a way to get yours done!
Old 9/5/14, 12:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Does anyone Know if the newer 2014 Cars have this fixed in manufacturing?
Old 9/5/14, 01:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by jp1seattle
Oh man, that's lame....

Yeah, I was pretty annoyed with the creak as well. The good news is that it's been well over a year for me and my front end has been silent since the fix. Hope you can find a way to get yours done!
Thanks. I hope so too. That makes me feel better should I have to jump through some fire hoops to get it done.
Old 9/8/14, 05:31 PM

Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak

Ok, so here is my LCA issue. Took it in last week for a service. Told the CSR about the noise. They checked it out, identified it as the infamous LCA issue, and scheduled me for a fix last week under TSB 13-9-3. I took it in, they did they work, and I picked it up this afternoon ( I had some other things done which is why it took so long). Anyways, I am driving it home, and the steering wheel is cocked slightly, but very noticeable, to the right when the car is driving in a straight line. I drove it on several different roads just to be sure I wasn't imagining it, did it every time. And when I put the steering wheel to straight, the car goes left. They replaced the right lower control arm.

So my two questions are, 1) shouldn't they have replaced both, and 2) would this fix be what caused the steering (wheel) issue? I will be calling the dealer repair manager in the morning to see what they say. The steering wheel was fine before taking it in.

Thanks in advance for input.

Last edited by ECSTANG; 9/8/14 at 05:34 PM.
Old 9/8/14, 09:35 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Joe B - they should have replaced both sides at once, but it looks like they took the lazy way out. Also, sounds like your front alignment is off - most likely due to the repair. They must align your car at no charge with this TSB. If they hesitate, make them. Also, demand that they repair BOTH sides. Sounds lazy to me, makes me mad at these dealers.
Old 9/9/14, 04:24 AM
OX1

Is there a PN on the shields and/or any chance of getting them and installing myself? I have about 500 miles on my 14 and would love to not have my car torn apart by anyone other than me.
Old 9/9/14, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OX1
Is there a PN on the shields and/or any chance of getting them and installing myself? I have about 500 miles on my 14 and would love to not have my car torn apart by anyone other than me.
The new heat shields don't fit the old housings. If you have some basic fabrication skills, check out posts #187 and #194 of this thread for some ideas.
Old 9/9/14, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Joe B - they should have replaced both sides at once, but it looks like they took the lazy way out. Also, sounds like your front alignment is off - most likely due to the repair. They must align your car at no charge with this TSB. If they hesitate, make them. Also, demand that they repair BOTH sides. Sounds lazy to me, makes me mad at these dealers.

Alright....picked up the 'stang, and all is good in the world...at least for this moment. They claim that the LCA swap wouldn't have done that to the steering, but they went ahead and did it for me because I have been such a "good" customer. They also claim that they only replace one if it is only one that is squeaking. And that if the other starts doing it, then I will need to bring it in again.
Old 9/10/14, 07:48 AM
OX1

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
The new heat shields don't fit the old housings. If you have some basic fabrication skills, check out posts #187 and #194 of this thread for some ideas.
Understood, but I want to start with the formed heat shields from ford and modify to attach using the two existing main bracket holddown bolts. Got PN's from another site. Ordered them today from local dealer, $9.33 each, will be in tomorrow.

4R3Z-5G221-LH Shield - Left
4R3Z-5G221-RH Shield - Right

Last edited by OX1; 9/10/14 at 05:14 PM.
Old 9/10/14, 06:12 PM
OX1

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Does anyone Know if the newer 2014 Cars have this fixed in manufacturing?
My 14 I got 3 weeks ago does not have shields.
Old 9/10/14, 06:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of these heat shields / bushing Installed?

Last edited by Jazzman442; 9/10/14 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak