Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Worse thing about the Boss 302?

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/13, 04:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Worst thing about the Boss is that I don't own one.
Old 8/2/13, 06:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastoldman
Further said the most with the least amount of effort. Been on the track for 30+ years and everyone wants more power, more this , and often totally forgets the brake issue. Get some great pads like Carbotechs, pop for a lightweight two piece rotor like Girodisc, and get some high temp DOT 4 brake fluid ( Motul 600 ). Then get high quality rubber , preferrably on a lightweight rim ( say an Enkei ). Hoosier R6s or Continental Grand Am slicks ( they can be bought used from GT Racing in Wisconsin for 100 dollars a pop ) will get you around the corners and stopping like crazy. Crank your back shocks to 3 instead of 5 and it will help you come out of the corners.

Tires and high quality brakes ( rotors and pads ) are allowing me to run neck and neck with tons of guys who have gone the entire suspension route, taken out seats and replaced hoods, etc. , not because I am any more talented, but because the two items listed ( brakes, tires ) are the actual areas that will give you the fastest area of improvement .

Sorry, Further, you said it more succinctly , but had to embellish, as it was so spot on!!
Thanks for the word from a track vet. I don't mind the embellishment one bit. I appreciate DG's comments too. All are very good recommendations.

It's funny how my mods (over the course of a number of events) mirror your recommendations, keeping the safety and cooling mods out of the scope of this discussion. My first step was to go with DOT4 fluid. Next, I went with CC plates, after observing the tremendous wear on the outer front tires. IMO, these first two steps, really made the car trackable.

Next, I went with semi track pads on stock rotors. The track pad mod is easy. One can easily learn how to change both the front and back pads with simple tools. Flushing brake fluid is easy too, an essential skill for track rats. I went with PFC 97 pads, which were OK. I now have and recommend HP plus for street use, which I believe are actually better pads, with a nicer bite, and less rotor wear. Didn't try the 01, 06, or 08 variety. For streetable tires (non R comp) this is what I would use.

The next addition was tires/wheels. This is actually a huge step, because it requires a spare set of wheels, track tires, and a way to get them to the track. Some cram them in the car with a jack. I actually put a trailer hitch on the Boss and haul them up there with a jack and supplies. I used 275 by 18 Conti scrub slicks, then went to 305's square. I had to change my front sway to something stiffer to accommodate for the wider grippier front tires, too. Needless-to-say, this was quite an investment, but well worth it. One could always go with some R compound street legal 19's on the stock rims, but you'll wear through them quick, and they're not true race slicks.

Next, was moving up a solid brake setup. I've got a two piece front slotted rotor and a one piece slotted back. It's still 4 pistons in the front and one in the back, but with Hawk DTC 70/60 pads and brake ducts, the stopping power is staggering. If I'm not mistaken, the 6 piston kit is for a 15"rotor, making 18" rims problematic. I could be wrong. I'm still scrubbing off way too much speed before the apex, even though I'm biting my lip, waiting to hit the brake zone. Coupled with the race slicks, it was a real eye opener. Even with the HP plus street pads, I like to strap into my harness and just drive around slamming the brakes. I finally feel that stopping power attempts to match the acceleration.

It is a beast on the track, not a Z06 or a Viper, but pretty darn fast. It's funny how much body roll you get, even with a stiffer sway bar, but still maintain balance and control in corners.

I finally caved and upgraded my suspension with shocks/springs, PB, LCA's, LCA relo's. I skipped the extended ball joints and bump steer in the front and skipped the UCA in the back for various reasons at this time. All I really need is a Watt's link, but I'm waiting to get more skill, so I can actually feel the difference.

So much for being succinct.

Last edited by Further; 8/3/13 at 09:06 AM.
Old 8/2/13, 06:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Worst thing about the Boss is that I don't own one.
Haha, word. Guess you'll just have to grab one of the new 2015's. Somehow, I don't feel so bad for you anymore.
Old 8/3/13, 09:07 PM

Cons
1. Oil usage
2. Trans
3. Rear LCAs and UCA
4. 2 piece clunking DS
5. Brake pads
6. Weak gimmick lopey idle with Track Key

Last edited by BadBoss1930; 8/10/13 at 11:03 PM.
Old 8/9/13, 04:42 AM

The radio and speakers suck. Should have had the Tremec tranny.