2012-2013 BOSS 302

Worse thing about the Boss 302?

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/13 | 08:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Worse thing about the Boss 302?

The car makes you want more. I love my car and love taking it to the track. But as I get better I want more power, more balance, more torque and less weight. A lot loss. Looking forward to the next track ready Mustang.
Old 7/4/13 | 10:02 AM
GT Member

You might be waiting for a while.

I'm at the same place though. I want a fully prep'd track car for competition. I don't have massive amounts of money so stripping my Boss is out (I think it'd be a shame anyway). I think in the end I'll let go the Boss and try and find a cheap 4.6 or maybe a salvage 5.0 to strip out the interior and get a full cage in.
Old 7/4/13 | 12:59 PM
GT Member

Brakes and slicks will go a long way to satisfy your needs. Then springs/shocks. At that point you're probably already passing everyone except the Vettes, vipers, and exotics.
Old 7/4/13 | 02:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Further
Brakes and slicks will go a long way to satisfy your needs. Then springs/shocks. At that point you're probably already passing everyone except the Vettes, vipers, and exotics.
True. Most annoying thing is the pitch and bob on tight bumpy surfaces. I feel like the shocks could use a stiffer setting than 5 and my tires need more width.
Old 7/5/13 | 10:45 AM
GT Member

This:

http://www.griggsracing.com/index.ph...4309_4320_4329
Old 7/14/13 | 12:42 PM
GT Member

I don't have enough available $$$$$ to own a yellow blaze 2012 as well as my SBY 2013!!!!
Old 7/14/13 | 06:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
True. Most annoying thing is the pitch and bob on tight bumpy surfaces. I feel like the shocks could use a stiffer setting than 5 and my tires need more width.
Yeah, suspension was the first part of the car I overhauled. The stock brembos are adequate with cooling ducts and race pads.

After I did the following my car became a real beast.

- Significantly lowered. (eibach sportline). Near level to level stance
- Rear LCA, adjustable
- Rear adj. UCA
- Bumpsteer kit
- X11 larger ball joints
- M-18000-C FRPP dampers or better. these have very good damping for the stiff eibach sl's
- eibach adj. front/rear sway bar's. Front on stiff, rear on loose.
- slicks
- race pads

I can hunt down Z06's in my run group. They still pull away on straights, but I gain and get the point by in corners.

Last edited by DGRacing; 7/14/13 at 06:51 PM.
Old 7/15/13 | 07:17 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DGRacing
Yeah, suspension was the first part of the car I overhauled. The stock brembos are adequate with cooling ducts and race pads.

After I did the following my car became a real beast.

- Significantly lowered. (eibach sportline). Near level to level stance
- Rear LCA, adjustable
- Rear adj. UCA
- Bumpsteer kit
- X11 larger ball joints
- M-18000-C FRPP dampers or better. these have very good damping for the stiff eibach sl's
- eibach adj. front/rear sway bar's. Front on stiff, rear on loose.
- slicks
- race pads

I can hunt down Z06's in my run group. They still pull away on straights, but I gain and get the point by in corners.
cool video
I have couple of questions:
is that a stock 2012 hood that you install cooling vents?
....or is it a aftermarket hood?
I have a 2012 Boss already done cc plates, lower LCA's, reclo brackets, Eibach prokit springs, and whiteline watts link; will changing the front OEM sway bar make a big improvement?
Old 7/15/13 | 07:19 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JPC
cool video
I have couple of questions:
is that a stock 2012 hood that you install cooling vents?
....or is it a aftermarket hood?
I have a 2012 Boss already done cc plates, lower LCA's, reclo brackets, Eibach prokit springs, and whiteline watts link; will changing the front OEM sway bar make a big improvement?
It's the stock hood. I mounted the mamba carbon fiber hood vents in it, directly over the intake.
Old 7/15/13 | 07:35 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

It's the stock hood. I mounted the mamba carbon fiber hood vents in it, directly over the intake.
ok
I've been thinking of adding cooling vents to my 2012 too
Did it make a difference in engine temps?
do you have any more pictures of the hood?
post here or email me directly: jerrycecco@gmail.com
Old 7/15/13 | 05:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JPC
ok
I've been thinking of adding cooling vents to my 2012 too
Did it make a difference in engine temps?
do you have any more pictures of the hood?
post here or email me directly: jerrycecco@gmail.com
Here's a link to some pics of the mod. I hadn't any body work experience before attempting this mod, so my process was not entirely smooth.

http://www.gogridwave.com/vents.html

I don't have any hard data on the cooling, but I know it helps a lot. You can see and feel the heat from it. So it helps keep the intake cooler and probably adds some downforce.
Perhaps not a ton, but compared to nothing its good. Also since I put the vents directly over the intake, I think its better than the '13's built in vents, which are off to the side.

The key to doing this is building a negative cardboard cutout that the vents fit neatly into, then using a wax pencil trace that onto the hood (measuring 3 points on each to make them square to one another).
I used a cutoff wheel on a dremel to make the cuts. No sparks. After cutting the top layer out, drill guide holes (using small bit) at each corner through the bottom hood layer and maybe additional holes along the edges so you can make out the line from underneath when the hood is flipped over and you cut the bottom layer out. Remove the hood first before any cutting! lol (oddly enough I didn't do this at first, had to clean my garage).

Where I have the vents position it interfered with the wiper spray lines. You would need to relocate them. I just removed them since this is a race car.

Vents are here:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bmc-hood-vents-cf.html

Last edited by DGRacing; 7/15/13 at 05:10 PM.
Old 7/16/13 | 07:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Which pads are you running, and what were you able to hit on the straight there at Main.
Old 7/16/13 | 12:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Which pads are you running, and what were you able to hit on the straight there at Main.
I'm running Hawk DTC60's. Around 145-150.
Old 7/16/13 | 12:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm running Hawk DTC60's. Around 145-150.
Thanks, same front and rear pads?
Old 7/16/13 | 01:00 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Worst thing about the Boss 302.

1: Circus themed stickers and wheels.
2: No nav Bluetooth option.
3: Lack of horsepower.
4: Narrow stock tires.

Pros:
1: forged motor. (Blower ready)
2: good suspension and brakes.
Old 7/16/13 | 02:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Worst thing about the Boss 302.

1: Circus themed stickers and wheels.
You mean like a race car? lol
2: No nav Bluetooth option.
It's not a luxury car! lol

3: Lack of horsepower.
Got plenty of that! lol

4: Narrow stock tires.
Stock tires are well suited to the street tune and daily driving. Need bigger for competition of course.

Pros:
1: forged motor. (Blower ready)
2: good suspension and brakes.

Last edited by DGRacing; 7/16/13 at 03:04 PM.
Old 7/16/13 | 02:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Thanks, same front and rear pads?
Yes, but I got a tad rear bias with the 60's in back (I'm running 14" rotors all around) and will probably move down to HT10's in the rear.
Old 7/31/13 | 06:18 AM
JPC
Bullitt Member

Yes, but I got a tad rear bias with the 60's in back (I'm running 14" rotors all around) and will probably move down to HT10's in the rear.
14" in the rear?
wow
which caliper you running?
Old 7/31/13 | 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe he has the 14" rear rotor upgrade from Baer which uses a stock caliper,
Old 8/2/13 | 01:01 PM
GT Member

Further said the most with the least amount of effort. Been on the track for 30+ years and everyone wants more power, more this , and often totally forgets the brake issue. Get some great pads like Carbotechs, pop for a lightweight two piece rotor like Girodisc, and get some high temp DOT 4 brake fluid ( Motul 600 ). Then get high quality rubber , preferrably on a lightweight rim ( say an Enkei ). Hoosier R6s or Continental Grand Am slicks ( they can be bought used from GT Racing in Wisconsin for 100 dollars a pop ) will get you around the corners and stopping like crazy. Crank your back shocks to 3 instead of 5 and it will help you come out of the corners.

Tires and high quality brakes ( rotors and pads ) are allowing me to run neck and neck with tons of guys who have gone the entire suspension route, taken out seats and replaced hoods, etc. , not because I am any more talented, but because the two items listed ( brakes, tires ) are the actual areas that will give you the fastest area of improvement .

Sorry, Further, you said it more succinctly , but had to embellish, as it was so spot on!!

Last edited by Fastoldman; 8/2/13 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Worse thing about the Boss 302?