Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/11, 02:58 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
I'm assuming this doesn't prevent it from being sold into a CARB state in the used market
Used cars sold/registered in California need to pass an emissions test (including a visual test). I'm guessing, with that sticker, something else may need to be done to the car before a certificate can be issued.
Old 11/29/11, 05:20 PM
GT Member

I LOVE TRACKEY!!!

http://youtu.be/08NFLOjnBVY

Idle sounds good not John Force`s Mustang but noticeable different.
Engine retarding at high RPM hits hard!!
I set Launch Control at 4000 RPM Tried it out with traction control off Very Nice
Set the Pitt Lane Speed I think it would be a little clumsy to do under race conditions.
I did notice a little detonation under hard throttle lower RPM (2000 to 2800) and I am using 93 octane which is little concerning.
Old 11/29/11, 05:29 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mackds
I did notice a little detonation under hard throttle lower RPM (2000 to 2800) and I am using 93 octane which is little concerning.
From v1.2 of the customer instructions:
I hear slight "pinging" on engine acceleration from low speed. Should I be alarmed?
TracKey alters the ignition timing and knock sensor calibrations taking full advantage of premium fuel to deliver the maximum torque and throttle response available from the engine. Some slight "pinging" on acceleration from low engine speed may be audible initially but should rapidly subside.
Old 11/30/11, 09:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by raddoc
#740 Performance white. LOVE the car. TK installed without difficulty. Definitely more fun and responsive with TK (primarily due to throttle response/braking). Like others, I'm disappointed with idle, but just as much with the lack of increase in torque in the lower rpm's (based on dyno results being posted). These things were promised by Ford.

As TK is simply a software package, there's reason to hope for future updates or possibly a non-CARB state trackey version. I personally feel we should voice our honest opinions and unhappiness to FR and keep up some pressure. FR engineers must be dissappointed and frustrated with CARB's control. Not FR's fault. Just hope they don't quite fighting the fight.
I agree, id love to put some pressure on FR to get a update on the Tune.
Old 12/1/11, 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
raddoc and UnrealFord-

Because FR had no intension of bringing out a "non" CARB TK software package, and took a tremendous amount of flack from owners with delivered Boss vehicles wanting this hyped option for summer months tracking, what leads you to believe there is ANY hope that they will now release a non-CARB version (with any upgrades you want)???

With (most of) those who have purchased the $400-500 TK option, "gushing" about how great the software wakes their engine up (even though it does not alter in any way torque/horsepower) and how pleased they are with this purchase, why would FR do ANY more development? There is no incentive to do so.

If you want FR to "keep fighting the fight" to give you what you expected to get from the TK marketing hype, you should do exactly what you state -"we should voice our honest opinions and unhappiness to FR and keep up some pressure". For those disappointed with the end product, it seems reasonable to do what raddoc and UnrealFord suggest and tell FR exactly how you feel about their TK product. Not only directly with FR on the phone, but here on the Forum which is monitored by some at the facility.

I hardly see how it helps your cause to start a thread discussion about the pleasing attributes of TK and then end the discussion by saying you hope the engineers keep working on another verison. The mixed signal is (or can be) confusing by those (at FR) trying to judge product acceptance. Give them honest feedback that you expected more and that you continue to hope for a no cost update to expected levels.
Old 12/1/11, 07:36 AM
Cobra R Member

That would be fine and dandy and I agree with you, but when you try to put up a honest post about how you feel, it seems alot of people want to jump into the thread and make a mess out of it.
Thats why I havent voiced anything much about it.
Old 12/1/11, 08:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
If you want FR to "keep fighting the fight" to give you what you expected to get from the TK marketing hype, you should do exactly what you state -"we should voice our honest opinions and unhappiness to FR and keep up some pressure". For those disappointed with the end product, it seems reasonable to do what raddoc and UnrealFord suggest and tell FR exactly how you feel about their TK product. Not only directly with FR on the phone, but here on the Forum which is monitored by some at the facility.
Other than the "dopey" idle what's missing from all of Ford's hype? Ford has said all along there was no increase in HP so why would anyone expect differently? IMO, after driving a TA car at MMP BEFORE TK was approved, and having TK installed on my Boss, there was no difference between the two. From my perspective the only thing missing from the tune is the aggressive "dopey" idle from the early videos and that's it. The warranty is another issue. Other than those two please list all the other items people expected from Ford's TK marketing efforts.

Is TK the end-all in after market tunes? No. Is TK one of the coolest options ever offered on a car? IMO yes.
Old 12/1/11, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rick, although I very much appreciate your point of view (and I am sure it is shared by others) it goes directly to Shawn’s point in his post above yours. When Boss owners express disenchantment over TK expectations, “alot of people want to jump into the thread and make a mess out of it.” Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you are happy with your purchase that’s fine. Just understand there are owners out here that are not happy with the final product and they should be afforded the same opportunity to express their sentiment.

Leaving the warranty issue aside, your posting attempts to minimize the “dopey idle” track key attribute. And that is fine, if you see no value added for this aspect of the option that is certainly your choice. Realize however it is and was an important feature to some perspective TK purchasers. And I am not inferring here that they bought their car solely for this feature which is absurd as we all know, but it was important. In fact as I have pointed out before, the “dopey” idle to which you refer, was the GENESIS of the whole TK offering by none other than the Boss 302 managers. They were the farsighted engineers to dream up this variation of Ti-VCT technology to give the buying public this previously unheard-of/unavailable option. And that feature has been gutted.

Further your reference to “early” videos again minimizes this important marketing media on which FR used very effectively to stoke the purchasing fire. I personally saw a demonstration of the dopey idle (video form) in the April timeframe by the Ford software engineer. He gave no representation that this was just for show and the end product would not sound anything like the demonstration given. This was billed as here is what TK will sound like. It does not.

As has been requested by some owners, TK is supposed to alter 600 different engine parameters. Does it take 600 variables to change engine lopey idle, engine accel rates, engine braking, launch control and pit speed? (did I miss any?) It would be nice to know or have FR comment on the specifics of what the software program actually does for those who choose to purchase this option.
Old 12/1/11, 11:00 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I don't mean to minimize anyones opinion but I'm trying to express mine. This thread is for those that have installed TK on their cars and to share their experiences. Frankly it's getting old hearing people complain about TK when they haven't used it on the "track". Note it's not called "street key" or "car show key". For those not happy with TK and feel strongly about being "misled" by Ford they should do something about it. Continually complaining is just that, complaining.

BTW I'm glad Ford included the ability to disable the lopey idle and I've already done so a couple of times. While I like the sound when showing off my car it's not quite so great driving around town. If I owned a car that didn't have lopey idle and it idled like that I'd take it to the dealer and have them fix it.
Old 12/1/11, 03:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Thus far I am happy with TK. Winter is rapidly approaching so I doubt I'll drive the car again until spring. I do wish the lopey idle was louder/more noticeable, but perhaps it will be when the weather is warmer?

I think Ford Racing did all they could to this tune, it's not their fault they have to comply with CARB. Only the true aftermarket can properly steer around CARB and I think we can not expect much more from automakers like Ford. There are just too many restrictions that they face. I believe they would've done more if they had been allowed to do more.

It is what it is.
Old 12/3/11, 05:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by twawsico
From v1.2 of the customer instructions:
I hear slight "pinging" on engine acceleration from low speed. Should I be alarmed?
TracKey alters the ignition timing and knock sensor calibrations taking full advantage of premium fuel to deliver the maximum torque and throttle response available from the engine. Some slight "pinging" on acceleration from low engine speed may be audible initially but should rapidly subside.

Boss 228 is put away for the winter here in PA. I only had one day to play with the Trackey but as you can tell I liked the features.
Thanks for the info on the "ping".
When I heard it I got out of the throttle once I was past 2800 it did not do it.
I will find out more in the spring my plan is to run out the winter gas with the black key and try so fresh 93 with the red key.
But it is nice to know the PCM will compensate Thanks.
Old 12/5/11, 08:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I read alot of what some of you have to say about the TK, my feeling is our cars have a street-able stock tune of the HP that the engines are capable of in there current set up, the TK or race tune opens things up, advances timing, is a race tune, throttle response, IE race tune and becomes unstreet-able or harder to drive in traffic with stop lights and signs. The only way you would get more HP without damaging or degrading the engine life tremendously in a street-able of race tune would be to physically change components of our machines and make corresponding changes to the tune.

Granted I just ordered my TK today, but this is my understanding.
I can't wait.
Old 12/6/11, 12:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by CDGun
I read alot of what some of you have to say about the TK, my feeling is our cars have a street-able stock tune of the HP that the engines are capable of in there current set up, the TK or race tune opens things up, advances timing, is a race tune, throttle response, IE race tune and becomes unstreet-able or harder to drive in traffic with stop lights and signs. The only way you would get more HP without damaging or degrading the engine life tremendously in a street-able of race tune would be to physically change components of our machines and make corresponding changes to the tune.

Granted I just ordered my TK today, but this is my understanding.
I can't wait.
Overall you will be happy. I know i am, little disappointed with idle but the overall tune and features are nice.
Old 12/9/11, 09:02 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Name:  image-1234048226.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  image-1027923786.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  23.0 KB

TracKey installed this morning at Tommy Vaughn in Houston. Thanks to Anthony at FRPP and Chris who did the install. Initial impressions are pretty much same as others who posted:
Noticeable engine braking at low speeds, pretty jerky in parking lot.
Exhaust sounds different, more pop and burble on decel (restrictor plates out)
Feels like more low end torque
Skip shift gone
Lopey idle not noticeable at first, but got more pronounced with time. Most noticeable in the garage at home.
Exhaust definitely smelled different, like unburnt gasoline.

Track day tomorrow. I'll post a report after that. Unfortunately only my third track day so I may not notice a difference from TracKey.
Old 12/9/11, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Installed today in Northern NJ.......
So far, I think it's neat but really didn't drive too much. Idle definitely is different & engine braking is noticeable. More when Spring arrives.

Last edited by SVOGT302; 12/9/11 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12/10/11, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SVOGT302
Installed today in Northern NJ.......
So far, I think it's neat but really didn't drive too much. Idle definitely is different & engine braking is noticeable. More when Spring arrives.
Welcome to TMS and the smog and pot hole state. I'm located south centeral NJ. Maybe I'll see ya on the road one spring day.
Old 12/13/11, 04:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by boss man
Welcome to TMS and the smog and pot hole state. I'm located south centeral NJ. Maybe I'll see ya on the road one spring day.
What town are you in??
Old 12/13/11, 06:48 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SVOGT302
What town are you in??
Cream Ridge, 10 miles past Great Adventure
Old 12/31/11, 04:22 PM

Installed TK a few days ago, and will not use the "regular" key again. The TK seems to keep the revs higher so shifting is smoother for me. Also, prefer the more immediate pedal response when accelerating. I disabled the lopey idle because my preference is the sound of the regular idle. It's an expensive option, and should have been gratis with the car.
Old 12/31/11, 04:31 PM

Distorted back window

About the bottom third of my Boss's back window is distorted. Cars behind get taller like a circus mirror as they get closer.

Took it to the local Ford dealer and the body shop guy said all the Mustangs have that problem, and he blamed it on the defog wiring grid in the glass. Since defog wiring grids have been around for at least 30 years, you have to wonder why Ford is having this problem in 2012.

Has anyone else noticed this, and does anyone know if Ford has a "Mustang problem" that everyone just accepts as normal?

I would like to move this past the local dealer - any idea who I should email?

Thanks in advance if you can help. Otherwise the Boss is a great car - just installed TK.

Quick Reply: TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!