Old 7/28/11, 10:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Congratulations!
I AM EXCITE!!!

Name:  RW2mJ.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  24.6 KB

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled radiator thread, already in progress.
Old 7/29/11, 06:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06GT

I dunno if you're gonna get any good temperature data, probably won't even be able to get up to 100mph will all those rolling chicanes out there
BIR has a mile long front straight Drew. I'll be at the top of 5th around 150. Turn 1 is a banked 140+ 60 degree right hander and 2 is a 120 flat right hand sweeper. Car will be running hard but temps not expected above 85F ambient.
Old 7/29/11, 06:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by JScheier
M-8005-MGT is installed. Started at 4:30 and was in the house, showered and eating dinner by 7. Figure a tick over 2 hours from wheels up to closing the garage door.

Tools needed:

Floor Jack
Jack Stands (4)
3 gallon bucket
Channel Locks
10mm open end wrench (speed wrench is best)
8mm socket
10mm socket
E6 inverted torx socket
ratchet (I used 1/4")
small screw driver
approximately 3 gallons of fluid (I used 2 gallons water, 2 bottles of water wetter and re-used / strained Ford Coolant for the remainder)

Steps:

1. Put car in the air (not covering that)
2. Move lower under panel covering oil filter to service position
3. Remove front portion of lower under panel (8mm bolts)
4. Loosen radiator drain plug and drain coolant into bucket
5. Remove radiator cap
6. Remove throttle body intake tube
7. Remove cold air filter box after removing MAF connection (pull red tab out and then pull connector out of MAF)
8. Remove snorkel which leads to cold air box
9. Remove front radiator cover (8 push pins removed with screwdriver)
10. Remove line from coolant reservoir to radiator (channel locks x 2 clamps)
11. Remove coolant reservoir (10mm bolts x 2) once it is empty and fold back onto intake
12. Remove 2 lower nuts holding condenser to radiator (10mm open wrench... tight fit)
13. Remove upper radiator mounts (2x 10mm each mount)
14. Push top of radiator towards motor and remove top bolts holding condenser to radiator (2x10mm)
15. Using a small screwdriver, slide the blade into the fan connector from the end facing the center of the engine compartment. You should feel the tab with the blade. Depress and release the plug.
16. Remove upper radiator hose at the radiator using channel locks
17. Remove lower radiator hose at radiator using channel locks. Ford installs this clamp with the tabs facing the frame rail. I started from under the car, rotated the clamp and then finished from the top of the car.
18. Pull radiator out. Sounds easy, but I found I had to lift the driver's side up to get past all of the fan connections

Once out of the car, take the red caps which are used for shipping the M-8005-MGT radiator and place them on the OEM radiator to keep fluid from going all over the place. Once the caps are on, lay the radiator on the floor with the fan side up.

1. 2x10mm bolts to remove the fan. Slide fan off of the OEM radiator. Remove the speed nut tabs and transfer to the MGT radiator. Reinstall fan on MGT radiator

2. Flip the radiator over and transfer the two upper speed nut tabs to the MGT radiator.

3. Same side, using an inverted TORX E6 socket, remove the two studs for the lower condenser mounts, remove the two speed nut tabs and transfer all to the MGT radiator.

Radiator took some finagling to get back in. It is 3/4" deeper, and the aluminum frame has sharp bits. Just take your time and slowly work it down where it need to go. The hardest part here was getting the lower condenser mounts over the studs. Once that was done, make sure that the rubber gaskets are in place and then reassemble in reverse order.

Pretty sure there will still be air in the system, so bleed it and keep some fluid with you for a day or so.

John

PS - I'm writing this 1 hour after finishing up... plus a beer or two (or three). It really was pretty much drop-in and straight forward. I'll review this in the AM and see if I made any errors

PPS - Also, the MGT radiator shipped with the drain valve open. I've got a soggy shoe to prove it. Closed is with the petcock all the way out... check it before adding fluid :O
Great writeup. Thanks for helping us out and taking the time to do this.
Old 7/29/11, 06:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I AM EXCITE!!!

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled radiator thread, already in progress.
Congrats man!
Old 7/29/11, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M-8005-MGT is installed. Started at 4:30 and was in the house, showered and eating dinner by 7. Figure a tick over 2 hours from wheels up to closing the garage door.
Great write up. I copied and pasted it to a Word document for reference later. Thanks. Looking forward to hearing the track results.
Old 7/29/11, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Can't wait to hear results John. I just offloaded the Boss in the midst of some Porsche smugness at BIR. First comment from the guy next to me was that looks a little funny for a Porsche. I said it's a little big for a Porsche. He said it's a little big for a car. Game on. 84 for a high tomorrow and sunny. I don't think she'll let me down. 53 Porsches and 1 Ford Should be fun.
Show them who's the Boss. I surprised they even let you run with them. It wasn't that long ago that the PCA only allowed Porsches to their HPDEs. A sign of the times.
Old 7/29/11, 09:07 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

BIR has a mile long front straight Drew. I'll be at the top of 5th around 150. Turn 1 is a banked 140+ 60 degree right hander and 2 is a 120 flat right hand sweeper. Car will be running hard but temps not expected above 85F ambient.
I don't think that's what he meant. Rolling chicanes = Porsches getting in your way. . Have fun and report back often.
Old 7/29/11, 09:57 AM

Rolling chicanes = Porsches getting in your way. .
This!
Old 7/29/11, 10:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
Show them who's the Boss. I surprised they even let you run with them. It wasn't that long ago that the PCA only allowed Porsches to their HPDEs. A sign of the times.
Yep they were bemoaning the economy and its impact on turnout so they were happy to take my money. First session in the advanced group got by all cars except one who started in front with a slow car between us that didn't let me by for a lap. Passesd a 2010 GT3 right at the end of the session just for you Rick. I dropped 0.24 seconds off my best time and never had a clean lap where I wasn't slowed by another car for at least a bit. I felt like I carried more speed through turn 1 with the wing. I haven't worked up the nerve to test it in 2 yet.
Old 7/29/11, 10:25 AM

Wing = more confidence = faster driver, regardless of any actual aero impact.

There was a great thread about the psychological effects of certain mods on my local NASA board a few months ago.
Old 7/29/11, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I've made some changes to the doc (mainly socket sizes) as I went back and checked everything this morning. You may want to edit your docs if you copied it

Ran the car this morning... 80* ambient and ECT was at 190-192* (AeroForce gauge). Romped on it and ran the revs high (extended) and only saw 209*. Last weekend the temps were 210* at cruise... so it could be a 20* difference with the radiator. I still noted that the fan does turn off... that may be something I pursue next if temps remain a concern.
Old 7/29/11, 11:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

This!
sorry a little slow on the uptake. Last session same thing not sure I got a clean lap but dropped 0.44 seconds from the first session chasing down a Cayman. A bunch of guys have stopped by complimenting the Boss and are impressed at how well it runs.

Ambient is 82F and the highest ECT I hit was 240 and that was at the end of the mile long straight almost topping 5th gear. Otherwise it's running in the low 230s. Hopefully the venting and Water Wetter are helping. This afternoon I expect it the ambient to keep rising so we'll see how it does. Oh I put 8 oz of Conklin's in as well.

Last edited by cloud9; 7/29/11 at 11:43 AM.
Old 7/29/11, 11:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've made some changes to the doc (mainly socket sizes) as I went back and checked everything this morning. You may want to edit your docs if you copied it

Ran the car this morning... 80* ambient and ECT was at 190-192* (AeroForce gauge). Romped on it and ran the revs high (extended) and only saw 209*. Last weekend the temps were 210* at cruise... so it could be a 20* difference with the radiator. I still noted that the fan does turn off... that may be something I pursue next if temps remain a concern.
That would be phenomenal if we can drop 20 degrees with a radiator swap. When's your next track event?
Old 7/29/11, 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

That would be phenomenal if we can drop 20 degrees with a radiator swap. When's your next track event?
Heading out to High Plains on Friday the 5th. Fingers crossed
Old 7/29/11, 12:09 PM

sorry a little slow on the uptake. Last session same thing not sure I got a clean lap but dropped 0.44 seconds from the first session chasing down a Cayman. A bunch of guys have stopped by complimenting the Boss and are impressed at how well it runs.

Ambient is 82F and the highest ECT I hit was 240 and that was at the end of the mile long straight almost topping 5th gear. Otherwise it's running in the low 230s. Hopefully the venting and Water Wetter are helping. This afternoon I expect it the ambient to keep rising so we'll see how it does. Oh I put 8 oz of Conklin's in as well.
Nice!
Heading out to High Plains on Friday the 5th. Fingers crossed
In for results!!
Old 7/29/11, 12:39 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Wing = more confidence = faster driver, regardless of any actual aero impact.

There was a great thread about the psychological effects of certain mods on my local NASA board a few months ago.
The wing adds 5 mph sitting in my driveway.

During our conversation at Laguna Seca it was mentioned how the drivers thought the winglets on the Steede street helps under breaking even though there's no data to prove it.
Old 7/29/11, 12:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
During our conversation at Laguna Seca it was mentioned how the drivers thought the winglets on the Steede street helps under breaking even though there's no data to prove it.
If designed correctly the winglets would make the whole wing surface usable. Without them the outer edges of the spoiler have no function due to disrupted air flow on the edges, that is just natural. In any case nothing the majority of us will ever see.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 7/29/11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 7/29/11, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Picking up the BOSS tomorrow afternoon
Congrats Drew!
Old 7/29/11, 01:59 PM
Cobra Member

The wing adds 5 mph sitting in my driveway.

it's true after I got the wing put, on I hit the brakes and the car stopped 10x better.

Not sure I will ever feel a difference

Quick Reply: TrackDay ButtonWillow 105 Degrees