Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

TrackDay ButtonWillow 105 Degrees

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/11, 11:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
Fast Entry to the main straight requires a lot of testicular fortitude at fir, especially if there was any water on the surface. Vht is no fun.
It dried out fortunately and car handled great. Chopped another 0.73 seconds first session out today. I'm down to 1:52.48. My buddy that came up with me in his C6 Z06 with coilovers making 503 at the tire runs 1:51s on R6s and he can drive "flat out" Haven't hit the bottom of the well yet I guess. Man I wish I had TracKey...the only thing I'm short on right now is power......temps are in the 220s with ambients in the high 70s. It's going to be hot this afternoon again so we'll see.
Old 7/30/11, 12:19 PM
V6 Member

Some 302R setup information posted over on mustangforums.com http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-...t-weekend.html

Interesting data point about the external oil cooler and stock Boss 302 radiator.......

I wish Ford would have included some of this information in the Owner's Manual - 2012 Boss 302 Supplement. Transfering their experience gained at the track while developing the car would be valuable now as we try figure out the best cooling solution.

07-15-2011, 09:28 AM #1
FWP!
2nd Gear Member
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT

Spoke with Mark Wilson from Ford Racing last weekend
Was out at Laguna Seca last weekend for the Continental Tire and Grand Am series races (taking photos) and got in on a tour with Mark to see some of their BOSS 302R's there. Basically they have had two cars that started everything, the white/red/black #16 and the all orange #15. Couple interesting facts..

1 - The 302R's are bought right from Ford and are built and assembled (aside from the roll cage and seam welding) right next to their normal assembly line. They're built on a separate line called the prototype line where they spend 45 minutes to an hour at each station instead of 30 seconds.

2 - They cost $125,000 as a rolling chassis, engines are $14,000. Compare that to their rival Camaro's which cost $235,000 and engines are in the $45,000 range.

3 - The engines are factory stock down to the exhaust manifolds, they're taken right off the assembly line, one goes into a showroom stock BOSS302, next one goes into a BOSS 302R. The engines are then sealed (sealed bolts on the valve covers, front timing cover, and oil pan). The #15 and #16 have been running the same exact engine with no problems since they started the program in January of 2010!!! Most of the other cars in the field get their engines yanked out after each event and torn down.

4 - Transmission is a built up 6060 with the MT82 bell housing, but because the 6060 is a different size they figured out they could use the tail section off of the Australian Ford Falcon to make everything line up for the shifter to come up through the tunnel at the right spot. He highly recommends installing "the kitty litter scoop" to help cool our transmissions..

5 - Other modifications: Remote oil filter and cooler, rear diff is stock 3.73's with the torsen LSD but with a cooler setup and dual radiators, fuel tank removed and fuel cell installed in the trunk, gutted interior except for the dash which has to be stock (although lightened from 26 to 6 pounds), Ford racing ECU, stock BOSS 302 radiator, Ford racing exhaust, Brembo race brakes in the front only (rears get better pads only), Koni coil over's at each corner and the tiny stock rear sway bar, BBS wheels, stock electric steering, ABS module has been upgraded and is actually available to buy at Ford as of two weeks ago (apparently much better than even the stock BOSS 302 unit), all seams are welded before the full high-strength cage gets welded in, and some other small stuff...........

............Mark also mentioned that the pickup sensors for the TiVCT and a few others are meant to work properly at higher RPM's, they're different than stock.

Last edited by 2012-LS134; 7/31/11 at 09:02 AM.
Old 7/30/11, 05:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

How are you coming with your air to oil cooler? Looks like that's the route they took. Really anxious for yours and Johns results with his radiator.

It was 90F ambient at BIR this afternoon and the Boss ran STRONG. ECTs peaked in the 246F range, but recovered quickly when you shifted and dropped RPM. They would almost instantly drop 10-12 degrees every time you shifted. Amazing. That's actually a good sign that the cooling system is effective. I think it's really just a tweak. I'm really thinking John's higher capacity all aluminum radiator is going to do it, but we'll see after next week.

The Boss really earned a lot of respect at the PCA event. I had so many people coming up and asking what mods I'd done to the motor. None. What suspension mods have you done? c/c plates, otherwise None. A couple guys commented about how they could understand a Mustang maybe running them down in the straights but were shocked to get reeled in in the twisties as they put it. I had a corner worker who was working on credits for SCCA come over and chat me up for quite a while. He said with a Eastern European accent "this car is monster"

I just want Ford to know that despite some tweaks for serious track duty, this car is unbelievable. Most people were shocked that it only cost $43k when it's running with $130k GT3s. Thank you for building the Boss Ford
Old 7/30/11, 05:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
How are you coming with your air to oil cooler? Looks like that's the route they took. Really anxious for yours and Johns results with his radiator.

It was 90F ambient at BIR this afternoon and the Boss ran STRONG. ECTs peaked in the 246F range, but recovered quickly when you shifted and dropped RPM. They would almost instantly drop 10-12 degrees every time you shifted. Amazing. That's actually a good sign that the cooling system is effective. I think it's really just a tweak. I'm really thinking John's higher capacity all aluminum radiator is going to do it, but we'll see after next week.

The Boss really earned a lot of respect at the PCA event. I had so many people coming up and asking what mods I'd done to the motor. None. What suspension mods have you done? c/c plates, otherwise None. A couple guys commented about how they could understand a Mustang maybe running them down in the straights but were shocked to get reeled in in the twisties as they put it. I had a corner worker who was working on credits for SCCA come over and chat me up for quite a while. He said with a Eastern European accent "this car is monster"

I just want Ford to know that despite some tweaks for serious track duty, this car is unbelievable. Most people were shocked that it only cost $43k when it's running with $130k GT3s. Thank you for building the Boss Ford
And THIS is why the heritage of the Boss 302 has drawn me to this car as a small boy and now as a grown man. I feel fortunate that I am able to own this piece of Ford racing history...
Old 7/30/11, 08:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 4pipes
I'll try the same thing if it happens to me again.
No limp mode today. I checked for codes after each session and it did throw the P0300 one session, but no CEL. I just found it checking DTCs after the session and cleared it. Otherwise it ran strong and issue free.
Old 7/30/11, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attaboys to Gary for representing Ford!! Thanks for keeping us informed. I bet there's a lot of guys driving home wondering what else they could have spent that ninety grand "ADM" on that they paid!
Old 7/30/11, 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

So it looks like your drilling did help a little.
Old 7/31/11, 08:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MJockey
So it looks like your drilling did help a little.
Sure seems like it. Maybe worth a few degrees.
Old 7/31/11, 08:54 AM
V6 Member

I am still waiting on the parts to come in. Rehagen did not have all the pieces in hand when I ordered their kit. Maybe it will ship out this coming week. I won't get an opportunity to install the kit until the 4th week of August, first three weekends already spoken for.
Old 8/1/11, 12:40 AM
GT Member

No limp mode today. I checked for codes after each session and it did throw the P0300 one session, but no CEL. I just found it checking DTCs after the session and cleared it. Otherwise it ran strong and issue free.
the 300 code was not affixed to a cylinder? random missfires happen but almost always have a bank.

beers
Old 8/1/11, 06:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Swoope
the 300 code was not affixed to a cylinder? random missfires happen but almost always have a bank.

beers
This is not being caused by a misfire, but thanks for the $0.02
Old 8/1/11, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
He said with a Eastern European accent "this car is monster"
Awesome mental image
Old 8/1/11, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012-LS134
3 - The engines are factory stock down to the exhaust manifolds, they're taken right off the assembly line, one goes into a showroom stock BOSS302, next one goes into a BOSS 302R. The engines are then sealed (sealed bolts on the valve covers, front timing cover, and oil pan). The #15 and #16 have been running the same exact engine with no problems since they started the program in January of 2010!!! Most of the other cars in the field get their engines yanked out after each event and torn down.
Well maybe not so much after this......

The #16 Multimatic Boss blew a motor at Watkins Glen. Roush blew a motor at Laguna Seca. Per the following document, Boss 302Rs running in Grand-Am are now permitted to have a Many connecting rod:

Technical Bulletin #2011-10
Old 8/2/11, 06:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Jza1736
Hope u got some good video!
Sorry no video, but I just found some pics posted up from the event:

https://themustangsource.com/f813/ra...1/#post6115448
Old 8/2/11, 10:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GT_350

Well maybe not so much after this......

The #16 Multimatic Boss blew a motor at Watkins Glen. Roush blew a motor at Laguna Seca. Per the following document, Boss 302Rs running in Grand-Am are now permitted to have a Many connecting rod:

Technical Bulletin #2011-10
Interesting
Old 8/2/11, 10:53 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks Gary, I caught those in that thread! Sweet! My first track day with the Boss will be sept 12 & 13 at lightning & Thunderbolt at NJMP. I'm a novice so I won't be beating up on the porche's like you, but my buddy is a virgin and he's bringing his 2011 M3. With my experience, I Should be able to pass him a few times.
Old 8/2/11, 11:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some really good shots of you on-track in that photog's gallery. You are making it hard for me to resist the LS wing

Looks like the springs aren't able to remedy the brake dive issue. Oh well.
Old 8/3/11, 05:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Some really good shots of you on-track in that photog's gallery. You are making it hard for me to resist the LS wing

No but the front tires bite really well on turn-in. I was worried about it at first too but seems to work. Rear end can wag a bit under heavy braking but didn't seem as bad with the wing last weekend.
Old 8/3/11, 07:17 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT

This may be info you already know…Front brake dive displacements are a combination of front spring rate and rear suspension geometry. The Mustang rear axle has an upper control arm that pushed the rear of the car up when braking…the rear axle wants to rotate forward and the upper control arm is the holding force. The upper control arm is oriented in an upward incline from the differential housing to the body. The harder you brake, the more the back end lifts. One solution option for flatter braking…rear torque arm

Last edited by 2012-LS134; 8/3/11 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling - duh
Old 8/3/11, 07:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2012-LS134
One solution option for flatter braking…rear torque arm
I have one on my GT500, but it's heavy. Not sure the net effect +/- as it went on with coilovers and a Watts link at the same time. Overall my handling and lap times improved, but by how much per part, I can't say.

Quick Reply: TrackDay ButtonWillow 105 Degrees