Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

TrackDay ButtonWillow 105 Degrees

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/11, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I very much appreciate the interest in this and OK by me to be one of several parallel development efforts. Hopefully all appreciate that it is NOT an easy task. The prevailing hypothesis is that by eliminating the cooling system's burden to cool the oil, we will off-load it enough to give us reasonable running temps in higher track-day temperature conditions. Further, while we may achieve this, we need to make sure that oil cooling capacity is on par or better than the existing OEM solution. All of this needs to be instrumented and tested. There could be trial and error. Frankly speaking, right-to-market is more important for us than quick-to-market. Cooler placement, cooler selection, line selection, placement, and routing are all important.

I am fortunate enough to have some very high level, knowledgeable contacts in the heat exchanger business and I had an incredibly informative conversation yesterday. I remain keenly interested in any and all inputs that Ford Engineers may have - perhaps in particular, there was a remark recently that the space reservation for a cooler had been maintained in the production Boss. I'm very curious where Ford has that space. (Note: there is plenty of physical space forward of the radiators but obviously there would be a compromise to existing flow characteristics.)

The bottomline: Don't look to us to be the first to market with a solution. Also, I DON'T imply that the first to market would be necessarily inferior to what we may have. Our core business is Ford GT's and we are trying to work this solution in among a pretty busy existing schedule of GT work. Moderators: I will not post more on this topic until after becoming a site vendor/sponsor which I should accomplish soon.

Last edited by nota4re; 7/13/11 at 10:33 AM.
Old 7/13/11, 12:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like the right attitude.
Old 7/13/11, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

also, just an FYI, Revan Racing just posted on another forum about a dual core radiator they are selling now for the Boss 302 and 5.0s, $750 shipped.
Old 7/13/11, 01:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not to make light of this thread but I am starting to re-think getting the clear bra
Attached Thumbnails TrackDay ButtonWillow 105 Degrees-black_silver.jpg  
Old 7/13/11, 02:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
not to make light of this thread but I am starting to re-think getting the clear bra
The Boss is fast enough to melt clear bra...
Old 7/13/11, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Whad r u sayin'??? Do you think we should steer clear of the clear bra application business!!!
Old 7/13/11, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clear bra is the ****.....unlike trying to use shrink wrap to protect your finish....
Mine held up fantastic to the punishment this weekend...tires...not so much.
Old 7/13/11, 02:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nota4re
Whad r u sayin'??? Do you think we should steer clear of the clear bra application business!!!
I think for me to question anything you do would be like a Cessna pilot telling an astronaut how to land the shuttle

As for me I stick with a highly guarded secret blue tape, I can't even say where I get it without Home Depot tracking me down.
Attached Thumbnails TrackDay ButtonWillow 105 Degrees-sebring-4.jpg  

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 7/13/11 at 02:51 PM.
Old 7/13/11, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I think for me to question anything you do would be like a Cessna pilot telling an astronaut how to land the shuttle
No way!! One example is that only 78 year old grandmas are slower around the track than me. So I think I can learn a LOT from anyone/everyone!!

The Saran Wrap-like product on my LS in the pics is Road Wrap which is intended as a track day paint protection. Not supposed to be left on the car more than 7 days max. With my keen installation skills it would have no chance of lasting that long anyway! This was my first experience with the product. I think I will use it again - though I think I can improve the install!
Old 7/13/11, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Stupid question deleted by OP

Last edited by ulev1st; 7/13/11 at 05:32 PM.
Old 7/13/11, 08:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle
also, just an FYI, Revan Racing just posted on another forum about a dual core radiator they are selling now for the Boss 302 and 5.0s, $750 shipped.
I saw that too, question is have they tested it on a Boss and is it big enough to solve the overheating issue?
Old 7/14/11, 07:50 AM
V6 Member

This is interesting, more of an FYI than a solution: Looks like the Boss 302R is equipped with a larger baffled oil pan that has a 12 quart capacity. That's 50% more oil than the street Boss. You still need to cool the oil, but a higher capacity can help keep oil temps lower.
However, this would be overkill unless you were racing for hours on end, like the 302R's do, it is quite pricey at $1300 (may need new oil pump too?), and is probably not a realistic solution to the problem.
Link: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12061
Old 7/14/11, 08:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Bueller? https://themustangsource.com/f813/tr...0/#post6103840

Old 7/14/11, 09:40 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BOSS_man
I was absent that day.
Old 7/16/11, 07:48 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
i have a question for whoever owns that LS with the material installed on front. it looks like the plastic is over the gap between the hood and grill too. would that not block air flow? Im asking this as a question because i honestly don't know if air comes in between that gap, i always assumed it does and i cant really tell from the pics there if the film is covering that gap. i was just curious.

At eagle creek ranch in may it was crazy hot later in the day for the final two sessions, got up to 95 ambient and hotter than that on the tarmac, my temp gauge in the car said 103. Anyhow, other than the problem in the latter two sessions hitting fourth Ive talked about, the car never once moved from where the temp gauge always sits. there was also a 11 5.0 brembo car owner there running ***** out all day with some of the fastest cars on the track that had no issues with cooling. im just wondering why we didn't see overheat issues in similar conditions. perhaps the humidity in texas is high enough for the extra water vapor to cool the engine
Old 7/16/11, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

i have a question for whoever owns that LS with the material installed on front.
Nah, there's no RoadWrap material there. The hood opens and closes so we can check everything between sessions.

the car never once moved from where the temp gauge always sits.
There's been a LOT of debate on the Internet during the last few years regarding modern OEM gauges such as the ones in the center of the Boss dash. The reality is that the gauges are commanded by the ECU (which also has a temperature input sensor). Therefore, Ford engineers have the perogative to buffer and/or smooth the behavior of the temperature gauge. The controversy is that there is this opportunity to fiddle with gauge readings - which may or may not be a real-time indication of temperature.

In the LS's we have an "unobstructed" water temperature gauge in the 3-gauge pack and it is pretty easy for us to see pretty accurate water temps through-out track sessions.
Old 7/16/11, 10:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
At eagle creek ranch in may it was crazy hot later in the day for the final two sessions, got up to 95 ambient and hotter than that on the tarmac, my temp gauge in the car said 103. Anyhow, other than the problem in the latter two sessions hitting fourth Ive talked about, the car never once moved from where the temp gauge always sits. there was also a 11 5.0 brembo car owner there running ***** out all day with some of the fastest cars on the track that had no issues with cooling. im just wondering why we didn't see overheat issues in similar conditions. perhaps the humidity in texas is high enough for the extra water vapor to cool the engine
An interesting data point for sure. I am not familiar with Eagle Creek Ranch. Where and how long is it? If you were shifting into 4th it must not have a long straight. Were you running above 4500 RPM in the lower gears?

I'll second the comment about the OEM guages. These guages have been dumbed down over the years so as not to upset the average car owner who gets concerned when the needles move. Some of the guages are heavily damped and some are just another form of idiot light that is controled by a switch. For instance, the OEM oil pressure guage in my 98 Cobra is an example. When the oil pressure hits 6 psi, the needle on the guage moves to the center. Other than that it never moves.

Last edited by 2012-LS134; 7/16/11 at 03:29 PM.
Old 7/16/11, 11:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm hoping you mean "60" PSI
Old 7/16/11, 11:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
I'm hoping you mean "60" PSI
No, I mean 6 psi.

As documented in the 1998 Mustang Electrical Vacuum And Troubleshooting Manual. Section 60-2, Instrument Cluster
Old 7/16/11, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i have a question for whoever owns that LS with the material installed on front. it looks like the plastic is over the gap between the hood and grill too. would that not block air flow? Im asking this as a question because i honestly don't know if air comes in between that gap, i always assumed it does and i cant really tell from the pics there if the film is covering that gap. i was just curious.

If you were only just getting into 4th it doesn't sound like a very high speed course. You actually generate the most heat running a 3 gear pull down a long straight running to 7000-7500 each gear. If you have an actual gauge, watch your ECT climb as you pull down a long straight. You'd think that all the air flowing in would cool the car, but it's those high speed pulls that really generate the heat. The tracks I run I'm topping 4th and holding it or shifting into 5th on the faster straights and that's where you build the big heat.

btw, the top of 4th gear with the rear tire I run is only 119 mph.

Last edited by cloud9; 7/16/11 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: TrackDay ButtonWillow 105 Degrees