Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

TrackDay ButtonWillow 105 Degrees

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/11, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the only FRPP adapter I could find for an external oil cooler, but also requires the oil filter to be remote mounted as well... http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...m-6881-m50.htm

EDIT: Bueller, sorry i just saw your post after I made mine.

it's plumbed for -10AN lines, so you figure a remote oil filter mount ($50), 6 Aeroquip fittings ($100), about 11 ft of Aeroquip Starlite racing hose ($100), and a 19 row Mocal Matrix 235 oil cooler cooler w/ mount ($200) is going to run you a total of $625.

Plus another $150 for a thermostat (and $80 for 4 more fittings) if you are going to be running the car in cold temps on the street, since youll do harm if the oil stays too cold.

So it looks like a proper oil cooler setup is going to be pricey and kill any warranty you might have, unless theres a GOOD FRPP kit that I didn't see which will significantly reduce temps.

I can tell you on my LS6, before the oil cooler my oil temp warning light would kick on after 6 laps at Sebring in 60* weather during the winter, with temps showing around 295-305* and water temps at 243*, and after my oil cooler I could run full out 30 minute sessions in 90* spring weather with oil temps only reaching a high of 256* and water temps at 220*.

Last edited by smbstyle; 7/11/11 at 07:00 PM.
Old 7/11/11, 08:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=smbstyle;6104402]So it looks like a proper oil cooler setup is going to be pricey and kill any warranty you might have, unless theres a GOOD FRPP kit that I didn't see which will significantly reduce temps.
QUOTE]

The oil cooler certainly sounds like the viable solution to the problem after piecing together all the bits of information in this discussion. I did not expect to modify the BOSS or in my case the BOSS LS so it would perform reliably on track…especially after being dubbed as a “Racecar with a license plate”. Ford needs to come up with a solution for the overheating problem. Running the car below 4500 RPMs or only when the air temp is below 85 is not an option. I want to get it fixed AND keep the power train warranty intact. I hope Mark Wilson responds to answer Mjockey’s PM about the Boss 302S oil cooler.
Old 7/11/11, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012-LS134

The oil cooler certainly sounds like the viable solution to the problem after piecing together all the bits of information in this discussion. I did not expect to modify the BOSS or in my case the BOSS LS so it would perform reliably on track…especially after being dubbed as a “Racecar with a license plate”. Ford needs to come up with a solution for the overheating problem. Running the car below 4500 RPMs or only when the air temp is below 85 is not an option. I want to get it fixed AND keep the power train warranty intact. I hope Mark Wilson responds to answer Mjockey’s PM about the Boss 302S oil cooler.

Well said.
Old 7/11/11, 11:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Stock 5.0 coyote hose should work fine for the replacement
Old 7/12/11, 07:28 AM
V6 Member

Last October, Rehagen Racing posted that they were offering a complete air-to-oil cooler kit for the 2011 5.0 GT. However, I don't see it on their site. Will have to give them a call...

https://themustangsource.com/f726/oi...-5-0-a-488520/
Old 7/12/11, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Last October, Rehagen Racing posted that they were offering a complete air-to-oil cooler kit for the 2011 5.0 GT. However, I don't see it on their site. Will have to give them a call...

https://themustangsource.com/f726/oi...-5-0-a-488520/
haha that is funny, looks like they listed every component down to the brand and type of hose I listed above in a piece-together kit, close to the same price as well. I love that Aeroquip starlite hose, cuts like butter with a hose cutter, and very light and easy to manipulate through tight passages.

I'd definitely go with the Rehagen kit, but again, in the chance that, god forbid, you have motor issues and take it in for warranty, this will definitely give them reason to deny coverage. With the engineers even stating that sustained high RPMS cause high oil temps, it would have been nice for them to even offer an external cooler as an option...

Last edited by smbstyle; 7/12/11 at 08:29 AM.
Old 7/12/11, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

We plan to have turn-key solution for the Boss. We need to complete testing, become a site sponsor, etc. We are serious about having the best solution available. More soon.
Old 7/12/11, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
We plan to have turn-key solution for the Boss. We need to complete testing, become a site sponsor, etc. We are serious about having the best solution available. More soon.
Old 7/12/11, 01:55 PM

I can vouch for nota4re ( Cooltech llc )...when he brings a part/solution to the market, it is top notch in quality and performance, and will include everything needed for install.
I had his transaxle cooler installed on both of my Ford GT's, it was a superior part to the Ford racing offering ( In my humble opinion ).....
Old 7/12/11, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I hope Mark Wilson responds to answer Mjockey’s PM about the Boss 302S oil cooler.
He hasn't responded yet, but it sometimes takes him a few days.
Old 7/12/11, 02:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Pablo Bravo
I can vouch for nota4re ( Cooltech llc )...when he brings a part/solution to the market, it is top notch in quality and performance, and will include everything needed for install.
I had his transaxle cooler installed on both of my Ford GT's, it was a superior part to the Ford racing offering ( In my humble opinion ).....
I received a similar endorsement yesterday from a GT owner whose opinion I trust . Anxiously awaiting a solution here. I'm tired of picking my track dates based on the forecasted high temperature. I did that with the GT500 and wasn't planning on doing it with the Boss.
Old 7/12/11, 03:12 PM
Bullitt Member

if you were to use the 302S oil cooler, being a Ford part, does anyone see that as something that would void the warranty?

When I get mine I'd like to keep it bone stock for that very reason.
Old 7/12/11, 03:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle
if you were to use the 302S oil cooler, being a Ford part, does anyone see that as something that would void the warranty?

Since it would be a Ford Racing Part, I think the answer is you would not necessarily have warranty protection according to their warranty:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/warra...d_warranty.pdf

Last edited by cloud9; 7/12/11 at 03:35 PM.
Old 7/12/11, 03:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
I received a similar endorsement yesterday from a GT owner whose opinion I trust . Anxiously awaiting a solution here. I'm tired of picking my track dates based on the forecasted high temperature. I did that with the GT500 and wasn't planning on doing it with the Boss.
Agreed.

The other thing Mark Wilson mentioned is switching to the FR500S radiator.

I wish this wasn't necessary but high ambient temps are the name of the game out here in AZ.
Old 7/12/11, 05:46 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle

The 302S oil cooler could be used only if Ford Racing decides to package it for public consumption...as of now nothing is listed in their online catalog. Time will tell if they step up and provide a solution…

It would be nice to keep the Boss stock, especially after drinking the Ford marketing Koolaid that the Boss:
- - is a racecar with a license plate
- - was designed by a group of select engineers who love everything Mustang and were allowed to include all their special ideas
- - that if Ford couldn’t build the Boss right they were not going to do it at all

While we all love our cars and some have waited a long long time to get their Boss, the package has shown to be annoyingly short in three key areas. Areas that most all expected would have been provided for:

1) Number one is the topic of discussion - inadequate engine oil cooling. After watching the Ford media campaign videos and reading every press release, I was convinced this car was designed for road courses and that the Boss 302 engine and auxiliary systems as packaged had been tested to extreme measures. Whether Ford steps up and provides a solution or not, if you want to track your car in warm weather you are going to have to add additional cooling capability.
2) Inadequate rear axle cooling/venting resulting with the oil being puked out of the axle vent and oiling the back end of the car. This has been a common issue for road race tracked Ford cars for many years. Ford has the “Turkey Baster Bulb” solution already in place, part # AR3Z-4A058-B. Surely including this $26.05 part would not have broken the project budget or at the very least could have been added to the MSRP.
3) No ability to adjust front end camber. Surely the Mustang enthusiast engineers at Ford know that -0.9 degrees camber is not near enough for a car set up for road racing. We need the ability to go to –2.0 degrees or beyond. Fortunately the aftermarket has us covered. All it takes is ~ $350 or for caster camber plates, labor to install and a front end alignment.

Of course Ford could have bought the parts in bulk at wholesale prices and included them in the MSRP. Taking a conservative WAG, I think $1000 to $1500 would have it covered on the MSRP. If a person is seriously considering to spend $43K for a Boss, do you think they would walk away if it were $44.5K ? I have a hard time thinking most would walk away.

Back to the topic of if the Boss 302S oil cooler will be sold by Ford Racing, will it void the warranty? Maybe yes, maybe no. Perhaps if you pay for your authorized Ford dealer to install the cooler you would secure the warranty intact. As a minimum the installation itself (labor) would be covered. Or perhaps not so much.

Folks who bought a Laguna Seca signed an amendment to their new vehicle warranty for the Ford Racing parts (trans cooler scoop, brake duct kit and front splitter). Basically the Ford Racing parts are covered for 36 months/36,000 miles for defects in material or workmanship. At the end of the amendment in the paragraphs of bold all cap type “….THIS VEHICLE’S MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY WILL NOT COVER ANY REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE FORD RACING PARTS OR ANY COMPONENT THAT MAY HAVE BEEN DAMAGED BY THE OPERATION OF THESE FORD RACING PARTS…” Bottom line…Caveat Emptor

Last edited by 2012-LS134; 7/12/11 at 09:21 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 7/12/11, 06:15 PM
V6 Member

Quote:

Old 7/13/11, 05:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Here's a video of one of the laps. I've included it really just to show the technology of what an iPhone can do. Please note that the only inaccuracy is the gear indication as I had not yet set up the gear ratios in the application. This tool is simply unbelievable as in addition to the cool videos, you have a multitude of analysis tools to compare laps from you and others enabling you to disect the track and do incremental improvements.

PLEASE more info on this iPhone app!
Old 7/13/11, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I would be nice to have an oil temp sensor integrated into this kit if possible. I'm not sure where the best place is to locate the sensor to pick up oil temp. I'm running an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge and they have a sensor that connects to it:

Fluid Temperature Sensor Kit:
- Includes sensor and 5v regulator/signal conditioner. Fitting is 1/8" NPT. 3/8" standard OEM also available upon request.
- includes connector/pigtail.
- Can be used to read engine oil temp, engine or liquid intercooler temperature, rear differential temperature, etc

1/8" NPT sensor shown

$44.95
Old 7/13/11, 08:04 AM
V6 Member

I would be nice to have an oil temp sensor integrated into this kit if possible. I'm not sure where the best place is to locate the sensor to pick up oil temp. I'm running an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge and they have a sensor that connects to it:

Fluid Temperature Sensor Kit:
- Includes sensor and 5v regulator/signal conditioner. Fitting is 1/8" NPT. 3/8" standard OEM also available upon request.
- includes connector/pigtail.
- Can be used to read engine oil temp, engine or liquid intercooler temperature, rear differential temperature, etc

1/8" NPT sensor shown

$44.95

Ditto this. A sensor well installed on the return line from the air-to-oil cooler would be ideal to see the returning, cooled oil temperature.

At this early point in development, do you have an estimated target delivery date for the kit?

Last edited by 2012-LS134; 7/13/11 at 08:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 7/13/11, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Here are a few more pictures.

First up... can you tell that the trans cooler (scoop) is installed?

Attachment 90462

Here are my two buddies who also attended the event.

Attachment 90463

Here is a couple of others...

Attachment 90464

Attachment 90465
**** that LS looks sweet. I wanted to run this day but too much heat for my blown track toy.

Hope to see you at Willow sometime.

Quick Reply: TrackDay ButtonWillow 105 Degrees