2012-2013 BOSS 302

Should I drive it or trailer it?

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/11, 03:26 AM
CRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To All my new friends on this site....I am new to posting and blogging and all that. I generally have no spare time to do it but I will definitely be posting some pics of my Boss (Comp Orange, Recaro, Torsen, #0002) as well as my other steeds in the days ahead. This is a great site by the way!
Old 4/15/11, 06:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gd2006gt
What about the rumor I always heard about breaking in a new engine? That is, you should not run it at a constant RPM for long periods of time. Just sayin'....
Have to agree with you here. I would like to be in a more local, controlled environment for the break-in process. I plan on trailering mine home instead of driving 800 miles. Yes, new engines differ from those 20-30 years ago with improved materials, honing patterns, oils and bearings, but mechanically all these parts still need to "seat in" and get "acquainted" with the other parts. I prefer short trips for thermal cycling and periods of high/low BMEP for effective ring seating. IMO hours of interstate speeds with a new engine is not optimal.

Originally Posted by CRM
I did take a number of back roads at first and travel through about 25-30 miles of city traffic on my way out of town.

Anyway, my car sure feels properly broke in to me! !
Well, that's probably better than just interstate driving out of the box.

How would a car "feel" if it were not properly broke in?
Old 4/15/11, 07:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa

Have to agree with you here. I would like to be in a more local, controlled environment for the break-in process. I plan on trailering mine home instead of driving 800 miles. Yes, new engines differ from those 20-30 years ago with improved materials, honing patterns, oils and bearings, but mechanically all these parts still need to "seat in" and get "acquainted" with the other parts. I prefer short trips for thermal cycling and periods of high/low BMEP for effective ring seating. IMO hours of interstate speeds with a new engine is not optimal.

Well, that's probably better than just interstate driving out of the box.

How would a car "feel" if it were not properly broke in?
Maybe it would feel like a charger?
Old 4/15/11, 09:50 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Agree!

Dave
Old 4/15/11, 01:46 PM
CRM

My car feels properly broken in to me was me being funny not a serious comment.

My car was used by Ford for 32 miles of press coverage to and from a couple of local events before I was able to take delivery of it. I then drove another 25-30 miles of back roads and then spend another 25-30 miles of city traffic not to mention I stopped about every 75-100 miles along my way home.

Again, being a former Ford mechanic and having a close friend who has been on 3 different engine development teams for SVT, I can tell you that these engines are completely "broken in" before they are intalled in the Chassis.

Enjoy your cars guys.
Old 4/15/11, 01:58 PM
CRM

Oh, and let's keep in mind (and be thankful) that Ford designed these engines to be operated at near redline for hours on end for a RACE TRACK. That wouldn't be optimal in anyones opinion I'm sure but Ford is confident in the motor they bolted in these cars obviously. The Boss Team at Ford/SVT took the intial prototypes straight off the assembly line to the track and began systematically beating the daylights out of them trying to make them fail in any way.

And finally, any of you planning on racing (for real) your Boss in a competitve circuit? Planning on driving your car hundreds of thousands of miles? If either is the case, let me know if your "break in" procedure added anything to your success or longevity of your car. Otherwise, I don't know how you will ever know the difference. I have to assume most of these cars will be parked and lovingly cared for 90% of the time and treated as occasional drivers or collectibles....right?

Make sure you store your cars "optimally" because it can be harder on a car to sit than be driven for those of you who are collectors.
Old 4/15/11, 02:19 PM
V6 Member

Unless you can afford two boss's at time of purchase - drive it
Too many variables to count on storing one for an investment
Old 4/15/11, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CRM
My car feels properly broken in to me was me being funny not a serious comment.

My car was used by Ford for 32 miles of press coverage to and from a couple of local events before I was able to take delivery of it. I then drove another 25-30 miles of back roads and then spend another 25-30 miles of city traffic not to mention I stopped about every 75-100 miles along my way home.

Again, being a former Ford mechanic and having a close friend who has been on 3 different engine development teams for SVT, I can tell you that these engines are completely "broken in" before they are intalled in the Chassis.

Enjoy your cars guys.
Craig, thanks for the clarification!

Sometimes through text the intent or feeling of the author is not easily known. Appreciate the response!

And thanks for the breakin thoughts based on your experience with the SVT guys. Good information. I do plan to enjoy and appreciate the efforts the design team put into our Boss.
Old 4/15/11, 02:27 PM
CRM

I agree 100%. I own a 1993 Cobra with 653 miles and still has the sticker in the window and the temp tags in the windows! It's worth more than MSRP today but if I had invested that money over the last 18 years it would be worth more than the Cobra.

I could buy two Bosses actually but would see now point in it. I do own #0002 so I thought about buying another to drive but I have enough cars to drive so the 2nd one wouldn't get driven much more anyway.

Still, most of these cars are not going to be daily drivers and few will reach over 50,000 miles I would guess, even the ones that are enjoyed as intended.
Old 4/15/11, 02:33 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by CRM
And finally, any of you planning on racing (for real) your Boss in a competitve circuit? Planning on driving your car hundreds of thousands of miles? If either is the case, let me know if your "break in" procedure added anything to your success or longevity of your car. Otherwise, I don't know how you will ever know the difference. I have to assume most of these cars will be parked and lovingly cared for 90% of the time and treated as occasional drivers or collectibles....right?
Mine will be used as more of a weekend car and not stored other than a couple of days mid week. So what you're saying is I can practice my best Kenny Bernstein imitation right from the dealer lot and not worry about it. Cool.
Old 4/15/11, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CRM
Still, most of these cars are not going to be daily drivers and few will reach over 50,000 miles I would guess, even the ones that are enjoyed as intended.
Lets hope not. I had mine for a week and it now has 700 miles on it. If your not going to use it, sell it to someone that will.
Old 4/15/11, 02:59 PM
DFV
Bullitt Member

The race is on: First one to 100,000 miles on the odo wins!
Old 4/15/11, 03:31 PM
CRM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Mine will be used as more of a weekend car and not stored other than a couple of days mid week. So what you're saying is I can practice my best Kenny Bernstein imitation right from the dealer lot and not worry about it. Cool.
YEAH! Go for it! These cars are built Ford SUPER Tough!
Old 4/15/11, 03:33 PM
CRM

Originally Posted by MJockey
Lets hope not. I had mine for a week and it now has 700 miles on it. If your not going to use it, sell it to someone that will.
Everything I have is for sale! Boss #0002 with 700 miles, all stickers and plastic still in place! Make me an offer I can't refuse and I will have it shipped to you! ....Seriously!
Old 4/15/11, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CRM

Everything I have is for sale! Boss #0002 with 700 miles, all stickers and plastic still in place! Make me an offer I can't refuse and I will have it shipped to you! ....Seriously!
I'll start the bidding at $1
Do I hear $2
Old 4/15/11, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

What about break-in and is breaking it in on the highway like that bad. Or can you just run it up and down thru the rpms with no ill effect. Or during break-in is it ok to maintain a consistent speed and rev. I know my clutch didn't break in and slipped a bit until I got about 300 city miles on it,then held a 150 shot of nitrous.

www.********** we encourage kill stories