2012-2013 BOSS 302

Should I drive it or trailer it?

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/11, 05:09 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget to drive it back to Myrtle Beach for Mustang Week in July, too!!

Where at in the Carolinas are you? I've driven from Indy, through Louisville, Lexington, Gatlinburg, Charlotte, Myrtle Beach, back up through Wilmington, Raleigh, Charleston, Rio Grande (1st-ever Bob Evans) and it would NOT have been the same trying to make sure my Stang was staying on the trailer... Think of that Boss V8 powering up the hills while all the other slowing down!
Old 4/9/11, 05:34 AM

Talking I plan to drive mine

Originally Posted by Chris23
. The allure of breaking it in on the mountain roads across North Carolina sounds like a lot of fun. Let me know all of your opinions on what you would do.
Like you I will have a long drive (about 800 miles), but I plan to drive it. My Boss will be going from Georgia to its new home in Ohio through some of those same North Carolina roads, ESPECIALLY the "Dragon" from Deal's Gap west bound. I have ridden it three times on bikes, and driven it once in my S2000. It should be a real eye opener in a Boss. (My wife plans to join me, so I should be able to make it through without talking to the LEOs or the tow truck operators that make their respective livings on that section of road.)
Old 4/9/11, 07:34 AM

Thanks for all of your responses. I am glad to see that the majority of you feel the same way that I do about driving the car. I have decided that I am for sure going to drive the car home. I am picking it up in Raleigh NC and am going to drive it over to Deals Gap to meet my Dad who will be there on a motorcycle trip. I will try to take lots of pics and vids while driving it through the mountains and post them on here. Does anyone know if the dealers have some of that clear plastic that you can stick on the front fascia to protect it from rocks or is that something you special order? I can't wait!!
Old 4/9/11, 08:15 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Thanks for all of your responses. I am glad to see that the majority of you feel the same way that I do about driving the car. I have decided that I am for sure going to drive the car home. I am picking it up in Raleigh NC and am going to drive it over to Deals Gap to meet my Dad who will be there on a motorcycle trip. I will try to take lots of pics and vids while driving it through the mountains and post them on here. Does anyone know if the dealers have some of that clear plastic that you can stick on the front fascia to protect it from rocks or is that something you special order? I can't wait!!
Have a great trip Chris!
Old 4/9/11, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If it will make you feel better, trailer it to my house and I'll drive it the rest of the way for you!
Old 4/9/11, 09:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive it! I drove my 370Z 1,000 miles to STL to pick up my Brembo 5.0 and drive 1,000 back. Very fun trip!!!

Last edited by m4a1mustang; 4/9/11 at 09:36 AM.
Old 4/9/11, 10:02 AM
DFV
Bullitt Member

Chris,
You made the best choice. Enjoy all those (s)miles on the way home.
Old 4/10/11, 06:27 AM

Plan your trip around things you would like to see or do. The Muscle Car Museum in Sevierville, TN, just outside Knoxville is something you might want to check out.
Old 4/10/11, 08:19 AM
GT Member

That museum in Sevierville is legit!!
Old 4/10/11, 08:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

I drove my GT from Frankfurt, Germany to Skopje, Macedonia for a distance of about 1300 miles and loved every minute of it. DRIVE IT!
Old 4/14/11, 09:21 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Well it looks like my car that was built back on Feb 17th has finally shipped. I now have a rail car # and everything, I can't believe it. Lol! Anyways, what I want everyones oppinions on is whether to drive my car home from the dealer or trailer it. My dealer is 1,000 miles away from where I live, and when my car was originally due to arrive on Mar 9th the thought to drive it home had not even crossed my mind. But now that it will be the mid to end of April and the weather is great, I am thinking of road tripping it home. The allure of breaking it in on the mountain roads across North Carolina sounds like a lot of fun. Let me know all of your opinions on what you would do.
I think you should drive it and enjoy the roads and the looks!!

Deysha
Old 4/14/11, 09:37 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you've waited long enough. drive it
Old 4/14/11, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

!!!!!!DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!!
Old 4/14/11, 10:29 AM

Drive it. If you trailer it you won't stop thinking about how you could be driving it right now... I would drive it and show it off
Old 4/14/11, 11:24 AM
GT Member

In my younger days, on a whim, I bought a 2001 Viper while on temporary work assignment in Denver. Traded in my return plane ticket, and drove it all the way back to upstate NY.
My suitcase didn't fit, so I emptied it into the trunk, packed the rest of my stuff in the passenger seat, and left the suitcase in the hotel room.
The roads you will be driving will be MUCH more fun than I-80.
Stayed with a friend in Cleveland on the way back, who was a Viper nut.

Trip of a lifetime that I will never forget.
DRIVE IT!

...then I got it home, realized I couldn't afford it, and had to sell it.

It was quite the ride, though.
Old 4/14/11, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Everything seems easier when you are away from reality
Old 4/14/11, 01:41 PM
CRM

It's your choice....but I drove mine!

I took delivery of 2012 Boss 302 #0002 car 3 weeks ago. I was originally going to trailer it (especially when I saw that I got the #2 car!) but I went ahead and drove it home...700 miles! It was a nice drive and thank GOD! The car made it home without a scratch or problem. I did leave all the plastic and stickers in place.

Anyway, I love the car and so will all of you who have yet to get yours.

One last thing I will say for those who own GT500s or modded '11-12 5.0s...NO, the Boss is not quicker or faster that your cars if you can hook up! I own all three and the Boss is the slowest (but maybe the coolest I guess)!
Old 4/14/11, 04:47 PM

What about the rumor I always heard about breaking in a new engine? That is, you should not run it at a constant RPM for long periods of time.

Just sayin'....
Old 4/14/11, 06:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by CRM
I took delivery of 2012 Boss 302 #0002 car 3 weeks ago. I was originally going to trailer it (especially when I saw that I got the #2 car!) but I went ahead and drove it home...700 miles! It was a nice drive and thank GOD! The car made it home without a scratch or problem. I did leave all the plastic and stickers in place.

Anyway, I love the car and so will all of you who have yet to get yours.

One last thing I will say for those who own GT500s or modded '11-12 5.0s...NO, the Boss is not quicker or faster that your cars if you can hook up! I own all three and the Boss is the slowest (but maybe the coolest I guess)!
Pics
Old 4/15/11, 03:20 AM
CRM

These engines are run on a dyno at full RPM before even being installed in the car and with modern technology, it doesn't take as long to "seat" the rings as it did many years ago. The whole break in "procedure" is more myth than fact. Just look at the GT500s, the supercharger is kept from kicking in for about 10 miles....that's it, then it's on baby!

I did take a number of back roads at first and travel through about 25-30 miles of city traffic on my way out of town.

Anyway, my car sure feels properly broke in to me! !

Quick Reply: Should I drive it or trailer it?