Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Serious Fuel Supply Issue

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/11, 06:29 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nota4re
All good questions, and you are right that I don't know all of the details behind how it captures. You bring up an interesting point - maybe it can only detect misfire from lack of spark?? However, with enough misfires to stumble the car, I'd think that a lean condition should be detectable from the O2's. Perhaps the ECU tolerance level is not exceeded, however, and the stumble gets back on track before the ECU gets angry. This is the tolerance you are speaking of when removing the intake tube. No fault code may be generated but if you were to try to drive like that you wouldn't get very far before a fault code. (I've noticed this when we forgot to re-connect the MAF sensor connector.)

The most convincing evidence of fuel starvation is the fact that the problem doesn't occur if kept above 3/4 full. I am simply trying to broaden the thinking to see if it could be something else - hopefully a simplier/easier fix.
with my years of dealing with this issue in the rx8. never got a missfire or lean code when it happened.. i agree you think it would but it does not.

i think the op has a fuel pump issue, as most here are just getting a glimpse of the problem. the rx8 has pretty much the same tank and pump setup.

btw, problem is made worse by a decreasing radius right followed by a quick left turn.

beers
Old 7/5/11, 07:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Same if I disconnect the intake tube while it's running, and the MAF/ECU metering tries to correct, the car stumbles, or even dies, but I don't see any codes or check engine lights.
I have seen codes when doing similar things like this on an Explorer. I was doing a Seafoam cleaning and it did throw a code.

One thing is for sure and it is not every car. If I had to throw a wild guess out there I would think it may have something to do with the cross feed pump maybe not working properly. One side low and one side higher, as I said I almost ran mine to empty at Sebring (like an idiot, I was not testing it) I do not know if there are two pickups, I would think there is just one on one side, if there are two my theory would not hold water.
Old 7/24/11, 08:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if this is related at all but my first lap this weekend I got a critical fuel warning on my OBD gauge (full tank). I was coming out of a right turn and hammered it for the straight away and the warning flashed on my gauge. As I said not sure if this has anything to do with the other issue but throwing it out there anyway.